joewilly12

Could the Jets Target Ju-Ju Smith Schuster?

Could the Jets Target JuJu Smith-Schuster?
AFC NFL

Could the Jets Target JuJu Smith-Schuster?

by Yehuda Schwartz May 5, 2020 0 comments

It was well-documented over the weekend that the Steelers do not intend to retain Pro Bowl wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Could the Jets make a run at him with the intent of signing him to an extension? The Jets have lacked a true No. 1 receiver and while JuJu hasn’t fully shown that talent, he has been put under lots of pressure in his career and has been impressive under those circumstances.

There is a big link between the Jets and Smith-Schuster, who knows quarterback Sam Darnold from their days at the Univerisity of Southern California. The former is 23 years old while Darnold is one year younger, making them some of the youngest at their positions and still nowhere near their full potential.

Darnold and Smith-Schuster had a great connection in 2016 when they played together. The wideout played in 13 games, totaling 70 receptions for 914 yards and averaging 13.1 yards per reception while scoring 10 touchdowns. He had a better season in 2015 with Cody Kessler under center but the Trojans fared better as a whole with Darnold at quarterback.

Smith-Schuster and Darnold had a great connection before Darnold was even at the caliber he is at now. That can make team executives dream of what would happen if that connection gets rejuvenated.

New York would also be able to provide some of the best opportunities in the world for Smith-Schuster and his growing social media presence.

It’s also worth noting that a few other Steelers could be on the move. Ed Bouchette of The Athletic speculates that in addition to Smith-Schuster, the team will likely part ways with talented running back James Conner and star offensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva after the 2020 season.

Smith-Schuster was given the top job in Pittsburgh after Antonio Brown departed but had a lackluster 2019 campaign. He only played in 12 games, totaling three touchdowns with 42 receptions and 552 yards. His 2018 was better, however, as he was selected to the Pro Bowl as a 21-year-old after putting up 16 games, 111 receptions, 1,426 yards and seven touchdowns as a No. 2 target alongside speedy Antonio Brown.

Smith-Schuster is very young and has accomplished so much; he would be worth a nice price to play alongside former college quarterback Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

Douglas should be on his doorstep at midnight of the day free agency . 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

918a10e6c0794d2dbaa4739e7a38af7b.0.jpg

This is old and dumb at least Ju-Ju is current target and possibility. 

Charlie Brown - Football GIF - Football GIFs

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

This is old and dumb at least Ju-Ju is current target and possibility. 

Charlie Brown - Football GIF - Football GIFs

Ummmmm i was being SARCASTIC!!

Good Grief!!

Ughgggh

:)  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Why would he come here? 

15 million per year - thats a lot of reasons

• Upvote 2

Would prefer Chris Godwin who should already be on this team if we had any clue what we were doing. JuJu would be a great consolidation.

This team needs a big free agent wr and to spend one of our first rounders on the position(J chase, d smith. R Bateman, etc. shoot get one of these guy and come back with my personal favorite Rondale Moore in the second) if we ever want to compete in the modern nfl.

7 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is from May 5th...

Always a bridesmaid never a bride. I don't know, it sounded good.

It would be dumb to trade for juju at this point. We have one of the worst rosters in football and juju would not put us over the edge and make us a competitive team. He would not be cheap I'd suspect the Steelers would want atleast a first round pick for him and that would cost us a valuable building block or two to remain a terrible team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

hopefully they don't trade for him - it'll give him PTSD playing for Gase and there will be no shot he'd resign.  hopefully gase gets canned and a real coach comes in, making it more attractive for Juju and other free agents.

this i think has been JD's plan, 1 year contracts with the hopes of having a ton of money for this off season.  the FA class is a lot better then last years.

• Upvote 2

Jd isnt doing sh*t.. he is in full tank mode. The moves he has made to date shows that..

• Upvote 1

Steelers need Draft picks

offer them one for Schuster if he agrees to an extension.  

then put him on IR so he does not mess up the tank. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

15 million per year - thats a lot of reasons

It’s going to be hard to attract FA. Our team is a mess right now. We’re currently the laughing stock in the league, again. We’re not going to be the only one who offers him that. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ghost said:

It’s going to be hard to attract FA. Our team is a mess right now. We’re currently the laughing stock in the league, again. We’re not going to be the only one who offers him that. 

That's not a given. The cap is going to go down next year and a lot of teams are going to be in a serious financial crunch. One of the benefits of punting on 2020 and keeping cap flexibility is that we're going to be one of the only teams that is willing (and able) to spend next year.

Not that that means JD will pay that or that JuJu would come here anwyay. I can't imagine former teammate Le'Veon Bell is telling him good things.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's not a given. The cap is going to go down next year and a lot of teams are going to be in a serious financial crunch. One of the benefits of punting on 2020 and keeping cap flexibility is that we're going to be one of the only teams that is willing (and able) to spend next year.

Not that that means JD will pay that or that JuJu would come here anwyay. I can't imagine former teammate Le'Veon Bell is telling him good things.

The problem with this is that players seem more willing to take the money and hide than honor their contracts, particularly with the Jets. 

Brandon Shell is making $500K/game from the Seahawks with roster bonuses.  That is what the Jets need to do.   Players need to be incentivized to play.  

JD should not be giving up future resources to save this season.  The value in this season are the draft picks, getting rid of Gase and maybe toughening up Darnold.  But if we gave up a draft pick to basically force JuJu to sign with us, and then made sure he was incentivized to show up, that could be good.  

The Shell contract is a good example, as is Robby Anderson’s.  He wanted a two-year contract so he can try and get the super big contract after that.  Personally, I think he was crazy and should have taken more guaranteed money this year.  Even Cousins’ three year deal has that flavor.

I really don’t see JD handing out super-big contracts like Mac had to do to get players to sign here.  If I was a GM I am going for 1.5 year FA guarantees and lots of draft picks. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yup.  And this is why it is so hard for bad teams rebuild through free qgency.  There are going to be better situations for players, especially a WR.  Generally, bad teams have to overpay for free agents (Johnson, Mosley, Bell are a few recent examples).  Overpaying aging veteran players is not an effective strategy for winning. 

Rebuild through the draft, build a solid core, and then add FAs to fill holes after building a solid core in the draft.  Unfortunately if you hae a GM who doesn't draft well (Idzik, Macc) you get sutck in a rut like we are in now.  Hoepfully JD does a better job and can pull us out of this in next year or two, because the product we are putting on the field right now is embarrassing and ugly.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Rebuild through the draft

This team has way too many needs for that. 

If we rely on the draft alone with the way the nY Jets draft it will take 10 years to field a competitive team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd rather wait at this point.  Sign him or Godwin as a free agent.

NE will surely sign him free agency. You deal for him now with the agreement he signs a long term deal 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Someone will be targeting JuJu this offseason.  It might as well be us.  The Steelers are projected to be $16M over the cap next year, and that's BEFORE re-signing the following players on their roster whose contracts, along with JuJu's, expire after 2020:

• LT Alejandro Villanueva
  • EDGE Bud Dupree
  • RB James Conner
  • LG Matt Feiler
  • CB Mike Hilton
  • NT Tyson Alualu
  • S Sean Davis

OMG - why do the Steelers pay for talent?  Havent they heard!!!!!!?????  Cap space >>>> talent!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NE will surely sign him free agency. You deal for him now with the agreement he signs a long term deal 

They'll have to outbid me.  My bid will be so high it'll be cost detrimental to their team. 

I have the cap space to do ANYTHING (inset evil laugh)!  

If there is one position where JD should think about investing his precious capital it's for a good young WR like Schuster or Robinson. Very much doubt it happens but well worth the effort. Could be a transformational move.

JuJu will have options, players with options tend to avoid the Jets unless they are grossly over paid.