Could the Jets Target Ju-Ju Smith Schuster?

joewilly12

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Someone will be targeting JuJu this offseason.  It might as well be us.  The Steelers are projected to be $16M over the cap next year, and that's BEFORE re-signing the following players on their roster whose contracts, along with JuJu's, expire after 2020:

• LT Alejandro Villanueva
  • EDGE Bud Dupree
  • RB James Conner
  • LG Matt Feiler
  • CB Mike Hilton
  • NT Tyson Alualu
  • S Sean Davis

I remember there was talk of us drafting Bud Dupree in the 2015 draft but we ended up with Leonard Williams at 6 while the Steelers got Dupree at 22. 

Ftr, I was thrilled we got LW but, of course, that's our luck.

• Upvote 1

They should definitely target him, mostly because he has a great football name. Joe Douglas, I should be in charge of the draft . I would make selections based on nothing but football names. The chances of this being successful are probably just as good if not better than all of the draft guru guys (I'm looking at you @bitonti). It doesn't matter what kind of computer programs they come up with to pick the ponies or the draft. You can only account for the animal/human element so much no matter what it looks like on paper . . . unless it's a rap sheet. Heh.

So yes, I say target Ju-Ju because it's a great football name and it reminds me of the old school movie candy Jujubes. I kind of want some right now, but no movies for you, jeto! Come to think of it, are we EVER gonna be allowed to go to the movies again? : / Fck you, COVID-19! You just wait until COVID-20 (shakes fist)!

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That’s why you extend Sam on the cheap now and trade down next Spring

Ill pass my man.. i don't want to spend anymore resources trying to fix damage goods.  Juju, AR, will be free agents sign one then draft WR with late 1 or early 2nd. . Let JD and the New HC draft there own QB of the future. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What makes you guys so certain Trevor Lawrence would have success with Hogan, Malone and Berrios and Gase calling the plays?

I edited the other post with my ideas.. but i dont  think those are the guys your looking at next year. Will still have a shot at mims being a good player. If he can ever get healthy..  if it bottoms out why not build it from the ground up . While also reseting the clock on a Rookie QB contract. With a prospect most scouts consider generational . 

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I edited the other post with my ideas.. but i dont  think those are the guys your looking at next year. Will still have a shot at mims being a good player. If he can ever get healthy..  if it bottoms out why not build it from the ground up . While also reseting the clock on a Rookie QB contract. With a prospect most scouts consider generational . 

We still have no WRs if you take Lawrence at 1.  All we have is Mims who I like but he’s still an unknown commodity and Crowder and that’s it.  Herndon is a bust.  Berrios is a homeless man’s Cole Beasley. No big time free agent WRs are coming here if Gase is the coach

And the bigger problem is Gase himself. Lawrence is not a Senior.  He can very easily just stay in college to avoid Gase who everyone except the Johnsons and 5% of JN posters know is a total fraud and a joke

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, heymangold said:

hopefully they don't trade for him - it'll give him PTSD playing for Gase and there will be no shot he'd resign.  hopefully gase gets canned and a real coach comes in, making it more attractive for Juju and other free agents.

this i think has been JD's plan, 1 year contracts with the hopes of having a ton of money for this off season.  the FA class is a lot better then last years.

Then Gase gets fired after our Denver loss.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

We still have no WRs if you take Lawrence at 1.  All we have is Mims who I like but he’s still an unknown commodity and Crowder and that’s it.  Herndon is a bust.  Berrios is a homeless man’s Cole Beasley. No big time free agent WRs are coming here if Gase is the coach

Gase wont be the coach. I cant give sam 20+ mill a year with the way he is playing right now. That is just not smart usage of your assets..  just my opinion though

• Upvote 2

Materially overpaying, to save an already-lost season, for a soon-to-be-Free Agent and injury-prone #2 WR with the hopes he'll suddenly stay healthy and be a legit #1 for big $$ here, who has no reason to want to stay here on a team with one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL year after year. :-k

Yep, that's about as Jetsy Same Old Jets kind of move as could possibly happen.   :rolleyes:

My advice:  Stop demanding we sell our future for meaningless short-term fantasies about today.

If you really have a hard-on for JuJu, just wait, give up no picks, and sign him in the offseason, to pair with Mims, Crowder and our almost assuredly-gonna-happen #1 draft pick WR in 2021.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Then Gase gets fired after our Denver loss.

lets hope CJ finally sees how bad he's made this team.  to be honest, it's really worth firing him.  if you can see Sam with a new coach before we draft #1, it would make the decision much easier.

if a W doesn't come tomorrow or thursday, the next realistic chance at a W is week 10 at miami and we've seen miami be pretty competetive.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Gase wont be the coach. I cant give sam 20+ mill a year with the way he is playing right now. That is just not smart usage of your assets..  just my opinion though

That's why we kick Gaze and his lackey OC out and give Sam a fair shot.  Tryouts are the @#$% over.  Gase is a team killer.  We HAVE to see what we have.  4 yard outs ain't cutting it.

Dog s^&* coaching has to be erased.  Jim Bob Cooter new OC.  

P.S. Peyton should go #$%^ himself for recommending that turd Gase.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Materially overpaying, to save an already-lost season, for a soon-to-be-Free Agent and injury-prone #2 WR with the hopes he'll suddenly stay healthy and be a legit #1 for big $$ here, who has no reason to want to stay here on a team with one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL year after year. :-k

Yep, that's about as Jetsy Same Old Jets kind of move as could possibly happen.   :rolleyes:

My advice:  Stop demanding we sell our future for meaningless short-term fantasies about today.

If you really have a hard-on for JuJu, just wait, give up no picks, and sign him in the offseason, to pair with Mims, Crowder and our almost assuredly-gonna-happen #1 draft pick WR in 2021.

Are you basing that on the assumption that we win enough games to keep us out of the Lawrence/Fields discussion, or that we make the conscious decision to continue forward with Sam for at least another year?

my only issue with this statement is the injury prone part.  he's missed 6 games his entire career.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Would prefer Chris Godwin who should already be on this team if we had any clue what we were doing. JuJu would be a great consolidation.

This team needs a big free agent wr and to spend one of our first rounders on the position(J chase, d smith. R Bateman, etc. shoot get one of these guy and come back with my personal favorite Rondale Moore in the second) if we ever want to compete in the modern nfl.

We still have Mims and Crowder. Mims could be better than all of them, so I doubt we use a 1st and 2nd on a receiver. I would pick one in the first and sign a couple in free agency. Mims, 1st rounder, free agents and Crowder would be great. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

That's why we kick Gaze and his lackey OC out and give Sam a fair shot.  Tryouts are the @#$% over.  Gase is a team killer.  We HAVE to see what we have.  4 yard outs ain't cutting it.

Dog s^&* coaching has to be erased.  Jim Bob Cooter new OC.  

P.S. Peyton should go #$%^ himself for recommending that turd Gase.

Im not passing on a consensus generational QB prospect to give sam a fair shot. now if the opportunity to get trevor isn't there then i would more open to it . Especially if sam played well and won some games taking us out out of the conversation.  But if the jets land the #1 overall pick all bets are off. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Are you basing that on the assumption that we win enough games to keep us out of the Lawrence/Fields discussion, or that we make the conscious decision to continue forward with Sam for at least another year?

I'm basing that on having two #1 picks in 2021 (and a decent slate of other picks), and my belief we will not be the #1 overall pick.

Of course, the Jets being the Jets, I fully expect us to trade both #1's in 2021 and 2022 to move up for Lawrence, who will immediately after the draft declare his intention to join the Priesthood instead, to atone for whatever made a sh*t franchise like ours want him in the first place.

In all seriousness, I believe these things:

1. We will not draft Lawrence.  

2. We will not have the #1 pick.

3. We will win enough trash-time games later this year to ensure #2 above.

4. JD will continue to build our Offence via the draft, Elite OL, WR and maybe an EDGE as well as our top priorities in 2021.

5. Sam Darnold will start here (uncontested) in his 4th season.

6, JD will not trade this teams future for silly pipdreams about WR's in 2020.

I respect folks who think differently, these are my beliefs/predictions as of today.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And the bigger problem is Gase himself. Lawrence is not a Senior.  He can very easily just stay in college to avoid Gase who everyone except the Johnsons and 5% of JN posters know is a total fraud and a joke

Once Sam gets Bell, Mims and Crowder back he will show enough to keep him. If we end up with the top pick, move down and get back a boat load of picks to add to our boatload. We'll have 3 first rounders the next 2 years potentially. Pass rusher, WR, CB in first round. And we still have the rest of our draft. Boom!

• Post of the Week 1

I'm basing that on having two #1 picks in 2021 (and a decent slate of other picks), and my belief we will not be the #1 overall pick.

Of course, the Jets being the Jets, I fully expect us to trade both #1's in 2021 and 2022 to move up for Lawrence, who will immediately after the draft declare his intention to join the Priesthood instead, to atone for whatever made a sh*t franchise like ours want him in the first place.

In all seriousness, I believe these things:

1. We will not draft Lawrence.  

2. We will not have the #1 pick.

3. We will win enough trash-time games later this year to ensure #2 above.

4. JD will continue to build our Offence via the draft, Elite OL, WR and maybe an EDGE as well as our top priorities in 2021.

5. Sam Darnold will start here (uncontested) in his 4th season.

6, JD will not trade this teams future for silly pipdreams about WR's in 2020.

I respect folks who think differently, these are my beliefs/predictions as of today.  

Thats for fleshing that out. I think if the Jets get #1 over all, we take Lawrence (who will 99% go first overall). If we don't get the #1, I disagree that JD will trade up for Lawrence. I believe some franchise will go full Ricky Williams for the opportunity to get this guy if the #1 pick is for sale. Don't see JD winning that bidding war (or even playing, frankly).

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

my only issue with this statement is the injury prone part.  he's missed 6 games his entire career.

You're aware he's not practicing right now, right?  He's literally hurt right now.

He played 14 games his rookie season.  16 games his second season.  And only 12 games last year.  And he is not practicing right now (I do expect he will play this week tho).

And with those injuries and without Antonio Brown to protect him, he only caught 42 balls for ~550 yards last year.

He's a #2.  He's not a #1.

Are you willing to overpay (now, to the Steelers in picks) and overpay (later, in cash and cap space to give him a long-term deal vastly above market for a #2 WR) to get a guy who has had recent injury issues and has shown he's not a #1 WR himself?

If so, I respect your opinion, I simply disagree with it.  If you like him, just wait.  We can sign him in the offseason if he's worth it.

I prefer to wait, and to draft a potential legit #1 high in the 2021 NFL Draft, along with another elite O-lineman prospect.  Others may prefer different choices.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Thats for fleshing that out. I think if the Jets get #1 over all, we take Lawrence (who will 99% go first overall). If we don't get the #1, I disagree that JD will trade up for Lawrence. I believe some franchise will go full Ricky Williams for the opportunity to get this guy if the #1 pick is for sale. Don't see JD winning that bidding war (or even playing, frankly).

I agree, I was trying to be facetious/funny.  That was not an actual prediction of what JD will do.

• Haha 1

Just now, Warfish said:

It's funny how often these "Generational" prospects seems to come along.  Feels like every year there is one that gets that description.

The last pre-draft generational prospect QB was Andrew Luck in 2012. Agree the term is overused but when you consider these "generational prospects" aren't at every position every year, it makes it a bit less ridiculous than it seems.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Haven’t seen a QB with the tag since andrew luck. Have you? 

I have, but I certainly didn't bookmark every article from every NFL writer that used that phrase to prove a point on JN, lol. :)

So we'll just have to agree to disagree if you haven't or don't think that phrase gets overused.  

If you think Lawrence is special, I can respect that.  I've said repeatedly that I don't watch the disgustingly corrupt entity that is Minor League "College" Football, and only do my hard research on prospects come the months before the draft, so I will defer to your presumed superior knowledge at this time. o7

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's not a given. The cap is going to go down next year and a lot of teams are going to be in a serious financial crunch. One of the benefits of punting on 2020 and keeping cap flexibility is that we're going to be one of the only teams that is willing (and able) to spend next year.

Not that that means JD will pay that or that JuJu would come here anwyay. I can't imagine former teammate Le'Veon Bell is telling him good things.

JuJu beans