Could the Jets Target Ju-Ju Smith Schuster?

joewilly12

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Once Sam gets Bell, Mims and Crowder back he will show enough to keep him. If we end up with the top pick, move down and get back a boat load of picks to add to our boatload. We'll have 3 first rounders the next 2 years potentially. Pass rusher, WR, CB in first round. And we still have the rest of our draft. Boom!

We’re not getting the #1 pick. Sam will have a few lucky Saturday nights, not come down with mono and have a smile on his face the following day and will sling a few wins together despite Gase and this train wreck of a team. We will pick in top 10. Just saw one that had us taking wr Chase with the 8th pick.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

The problem with this is that players seem more willing to take the money and hide than honor their contracts, particularly with the Jets. 

Brandon Shell is making $500K/game from the Seahawks with roster bonuses.  That is what the Jets need to do.   Players need to be incentivized to play.  

JD should not be giving up future resources to save this season.  The value in this season are the draft picks, getting rid of Gase and maybe toughening up Darnold.  But if we gave up a draft pick to basically force JuJu to sign with us, and then made sure he was incentivized to show up, that could be good.  

The Shell contract is a good example, as is Robby Anderson’s.  He wanted a two-year contract so he can try and get the super big contract after that.  Personally, I think he was crazy and should have taken more guaranteed money this year.  Even Cousins’ three year deal has that flavor.

I really don’t see JD handing out super-big contracts like Mac had to do to get players to sign here.  If I was a GM I am going for 1.5 year FA guarantees and lots of draft picks. 

I'm not saying Douglas will do it at all -- I'm just pointing out that if the Jets want to be big spenders in FA they're in position to do that while many teams will not.

The goal of course is that we have such a surplus of drafted talent that we receive comp picks when bad franchises overpay our FAs. But we're a very, very long time away from that.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

You're aware he's not practicing right now, right?  He's literally hurt right now.

He played 14 games his rookie season.  16 games his second season.  And only 12 games last year.  And he is not practicing right now (I do expect he will play this week tho).

And with those injuries and without Antonio Brown to protect him, he only caught 42 balls for ~550 yards last year.

He's a #2.  He's not a #1.

Are you willing to overpay (now, to the Steelers in picks) and overpay (later, in cash and cap space to give him a long-term deal vastly above market for a #2 WR) to get a guy who has had recent injury issues and has shown he's not a #1 WR himself?

If so, I respect your opinion, I simply disagree with it.  If you like him, just wait.  We can sign him in the offseason if he's worth it.

I prefer to wait, and to draft a potential legit #1 high in the 2021 NFL Draft, along with another elite O-lineman prospect.  Others may prefer different choices.

i said i agreed with everything you said, just that he isn't injury prone.  tons of vets don't practice everyday.  like you said, he isn't in doubt of playing this weekend. his stats went down last year because they were in arguably the worst situation at QB in the NFL.  he still was only 10 rec, 200 yds and 2 TDs less than our leading receiver last season. i mean sh!t, gase even beat them last year.  

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

It’s going to be hard to attract FA. Our team is a mess right now. We’re currently the laughing stock in the league, again. We’re not going to be the only one who offers him that. 

12 of the 32 NFL teams are currently projected to be over the cap (estimated $185M) at this time, prior to signing any of their own FA's.  And a bunch of the other 20 teams aren't exactly in great shape.

The Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Steelers, Rams, Chiefs, Vikings, Raiders, Texans, Bills, Packers, Bears, Titans, Lions, 49ers, Panthers, Giants, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Browns, Seahawks and Cardinals will be in no position to be paying a WR like JuJu, based on their projected cap space AND the guys they need to re-sign.  There's only so much money a team can move around to fit a high-end WR into the mix.

That just leaves a marketplace of about 10 teams:  Us, the Dolphins, Chargers, Bengals, Broncos, Ravens, Washington, Patriots, Colts and Jaguars.  

And Smith-Schuster won't be the only high end WR that hits the FA market.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

OMG - why do the Steelers pay for talent?  Havent they heard!!!!!!?????  Cap space >>>> talent!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, yeah.  We get the point.  But there's a limit to this thinking.  Teams have been spending like crackheads this offseason.  The Saints are projected to be 80 million dollars over the cap next season.  The Eagles sit at $65M over.  The Falcons are $25M over.  The bill is coming due for teams like these and it won't be pretty. 

And I know the Eagles won a SB recently (Joe Douglas was there, if you recall), but what have the Saints and Falcons accomplished lately to justify spending like this?

There's a balance to this stuff.  All the Jets' cap space next offseason might not win us as many quality free agents as we hope.  I doubt Douglas is banking on getting anybody he wants, either.  But its also true that spending heavily this year wasn't going to move the needle.

3 hours ago, jetophile said:

They should definitely target him, mostly because he has a great football name. Joe Douglas, I should be in charge of the draft . I would make selections based on nothing but football names. The chances of this being successful are probably just as good if not better than all of the draft guru guys (I'm looking at you @bitonti).

Equanimeous St. Brown says hello.