Joe Flacco getting closer to suiting up for Jets

BROOKLYN JET

By Peter Botte

September 26, 2020 | 2:02am

Veteran quarterback Joe Flacco (neck) has practiced fully all week, but Jets coach Adam Gase still hasn’t officially committed to the Super Bowl-winning former Raven as Sam Darnold’s backup against the Colts.

Gase will continue to wear a mask on the sidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19, after multiple coaches and teams were heavily fined for not doing so in the first two weeks.

“There was a suggestion by our starting quarterback [Darnold] that maybe I needed to pull it down sometimes when I was calling plays, and I’m glad I didn’t,” Gase said. “That was something in the first game, I was just like, ‘Hey, just tell me if I’m not clear, like if something does not come across.’ But that was one that I’d rather not get fined $100,000. That would not go over well.”

Rookie running back La’Mical Perine, on working with 16-year veteran Frank Gore: “It’s an honor. I tell him that every day. I’m walking right beside him and hearing things, and he’s pretty much teaching me. I love the way he carries himself on and off the field, a wonderful person to look up to, a guy that does everything right. You can’t knock Frank Gore and nothing he does. That’s a Hall of Famer. He’s the No. 3 all-time leading rusher, and that’s an amazing accomplishment, man. I’m just trying to follow in his footsteps and learn as much as I can from him.”

https://nypost.com/2020/09/26/joe-flacco-getting-close-to-suiting-up-for-jets-behind-sam-darnold/

Not a JD hater, but the Flacco signing is a bit of a head scratcher. Based on JD's other moves, it seems obvious that he understood this season the Jets were not going to be competitive. So why bring in a guy like Flacco whose value is to come in and give you a chance to win games and keep you in contention if your starter misses a few games?

It makes no sense at all to play Flacco this season. Even if we lose Sam for the year. But as @Jetsfan80 has correctly said, Gase wants/needs to win as much as possible so he'd put Flacco in if Sam misses time.

Just another example of a Jets GM and HC being on totally different timelines.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

If we play Flacco and the offense improves significantly...

Does it help us see what we have in Gase and what we have in Darnold?

It probably would.

That would be one of the few benefits of playing an experienced QB like Flacco who clearly has no longterm future on this team.  But in this already lost season the Jets now seem to have several things they need to determine in the coming months...

1. Is Gase the right HC?  This could be determined IF the team performs better when players get healthy, if a QB different than Darnold (ex. Flacco) performs better in the same offense, if the team competes down the stretch and doesn't mail it in.

2. Is Darnold the right QB?  Does the eventual return of potentially capable starters like Le'Veon Bell, Jamison Crowder, Breshad Perriman, Denzel Mims, etc. lead to better results from Darnold and the offense?  Does less conservative play calling take hold once the Jets actually have players who can stretch the field and make a difference?  Does Darnold's level of play mirror those around him...is it worse, is it better than what he's working with?

3. Is either Mike White or James Morgan a true potential QB2?  If the season is truly lost we'll want to see one or both of them get some live snaps, whether in garbage time or while starting a game in December.  IMO, we need to see this happen regardless of whether we've answered or come closer to answering #2 above.  Whether Darnold is the guy or not, the Jets need to understand whether they have a backup QB on the roster for next year or if they'll once again be heading down the Josh McCown, Joe Flacco path and signing a veteran for $8-10M in March on a 1-year deal.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

What would be the point in rolling old man Flacco out there. Might as well see what White or Morgan can do given there is zero chance of us getting to the playoffs.

Agreed, but what if the Jets roll White or Morgan out there and the results are as bad or worse than what they're getting with Darnold?  Would we then know that it was Gase and the roster causing the problems and not the QBs?  Would we be able to say that no QB can operate in this system with these crappy players?  The one thing Flacco might give us is some degree of confirmation that an experienced, veteran QB in Gase's system with mediocre players can actually accomplish some things.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

If we play Flacco and the offense improves significantly...

Does it help us see what we have in Gase and what we have in Darnold?

If they start Flacco I’m out til Draft Day. 35 year old Flacco, what for?

As long as Sam is healthy he needs to play. 

Jesus Christ I can’t even believe Flacco is an option to start over Sam

1 hour ago, Nick Blitz said:

What would be the point in rolling old man Flacco out there. Might as well see what White or Morgan can do given there is zero chance of us getting to the playoffs.

Putting Morgan in with the current state of our skills positions would ruin him. It's Darnold or Flacco. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed, but what if the Jets roll White or Morgan out there and the results are as bad or worse than what they're getting with Darnold?  Would we then know that it was Gase and the roster causing the problems and not the QBs?  Would we be able to say that no QB can operated in this system with these crappy players?  The one thing Flacco might give us is some degree of confirmation that an experienced, veteran QB in Gase's system with mediocre players can actually accomplish some things.

This is the only good thing I can see about playing Flacco, we need a barometer.

The Flacco signing and Morgan pick are just another example that JD had zero intention of tanking. They got those guys because we would have made the playoffs if they had been on the roster last year. They saw the value of a good backup. 

I don’t think anyone wants to see Flacco in there- even Darnold haters- so the QB controversy story has no legs. 

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So if Darnold goes 0-8 and stinks up the place we shouldn't see what Morgan 4th round pick and White can do. 

That's a different question.  I'm saying this particular story (about Flacco "suiting up") has nothing to do with a QB controversy.  Flacco is a backup.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

? He was brought here as a veteran presence in case Sam went down. Thinking at the time there could actually be a season to save. What a sh*tshow again! Move em to Idaho and slap a potato on the side of their helmet and call em the spuds.

The problem with that is the GM didn't manage to or seem to even attempt to build a competitive roster. 

From what I can see there are only three reasons for signing Flacco and none of them are good:

1) He thinks Flacco can be a future QB for the Jets beyond this year, maybe next year when Sam is gone and the rookie gets redshirted..  Thinking that of a 35 year old QB isn't particularly bright.

2) If he changed his mind half way through the off-season - was trying to build a winner then changed course - that's even more concerning.

3) If he actually thought the garbage team he put together was capable of winning, that's the most worrisome of all!

Help me out here guys, what other reasoning can their be?

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So if Darnold goes 0-8 and stinks up the place we shouldn't see what Morgan 4th round pick and White can do. 

If that's the case Gase is gonna play whoever gives him the best chance at salvaging his job.

If another QB can play well under Gase and this roster, Darnold is a goner and Gase may get a shot with our next QB up.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Help me out here guys, what other reasoning can their be?

I'm sure Joe and Adam have discussed Darnold. Maybe Gase expressed doubt in him being a franchise QB, and Joe wants to be able to see what Gase can do with a veteran QB, before he makes his next QB and/or coaching moves.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Not a JD hater, but the Flacco signing is a bit of a head scratcher. Based on JD's other moves, it seems obvious that he understood this season the Jets were not going to be competitive. So why bring in a guy like Flacco whose value is to come in and give you a chance to win games and keep you in contention if your starter misses a few games?

It makes no sense at all to play Flacco this season. Even if we lose Sam for the year. But as @Jetsfan80 has correctly said, Gase wants/needs to win as much as possible so he'd put Flacco in if Sam misses time.

Just another example of a Jets GM and HC being on totally different timelines.

My guess is Douglas didn't want a lack of a QB2 to ruin the ability to develop a guy like Mims or our other young receiving options, if Darnold went down again.  No one wanted another Luke Falk situation.

So he attacked that spot with a 4th round pick + Flacco.  Flacco came cheap ($1.5M) so the signing made perfect sense to me.  

Of course, no one could have anticipated that all of our 1-5 WRs, including Mims, would get hurt.

I think if Mosley and Doctson did not opt out, Adams was still on the team and we did not have all the injuries, the roster is not great but not the dumpster fire that it currently is.  

$1.5mm was a good deal given the mess they had last year.  

I don’t blame JD for that. 

Paying McCown what they did to be a backup-that was crazy

• Upvote 1