Sam Darnold is a bust

JustInFudge

19 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

it sucks to say but it looks like it. our upper management did him no favors tho. no skill position players (outside of crowder). terrible o line. multiple coordinators. im starting to think we can never develop a qb.  even farve was a mess before he told shotty to go f off

and yet Wilson thrives under Schotty...

what am sayn is the OC dont make the QB...  how many OC's coaches did Peyton have?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Interesting you choose Brees as a comparison , take away Kamara and Brees has looked lost w/o Mike Thomas funny how losing a starting wr can impact even a superstar. 

I wish Darnold looked as "lost" as a 41 year-old QB with a 6:1 TD:INT ratio and a 70%+ completion rate without his top wideout as his offense is still averaging 30 ppg. 

The flawed presumption here is the idea that removing Kamara's numbers means Brees would then be left with naught but his non-Kamara stats. The far more likely result is he'd have just thrown it to someone else. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wish Darnold looked as "lost" as a 41 year-old QB with a 6:1 TD:INT ratio and a 70%+ completion rate without his top wideout as his offense is still averaging 30 ppg. 

The flawed presumption here is the idea that removing Kamara's numbers means Brees would then be left with naught but his non-Kamara stats. The far more likely result is he'd have just thrown it to someone else. 

Yes and I'm sure that the someone else is of a higher caliber player than the likes of Josh Malone, Braxton Berrios and Lawrence Cager . 

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

what am sayn is the OC dont make the QB...  how many OC's coaches did Peyton have?

Your point is well taken but your Peyton Manning reference  is a poor one because Tom Moore was his offensive coordinator for his first eleven years.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Your point is well taken but your Peyton Manning reference  is a poor one because Tom Moore was his offensive coordinator for his first eleven years.

Speaking of Peyton Manning.   History likes to repeat itself and I can’t help but think Trevor Lawrence is Peyton Manning 2.0.   Jets will get the first overall pick and he will say no thank you and play his senior year.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

3 years in a row Sam cant stay healthy.  Curios how long this injury lingers if Flacco plays well.

It's time to say goodbye to Sam Darnold, the era is over and man, was it an exciting era of Football! 

Are you going to retire your boner pants, or re-use them for the Lawrence era?

On 9/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't you know? Good QB is 'cause of weaponz. Bad QB is cause of weaponz. Just throw anyone doesn't matter who is behind center as long as weaponz. NFL QBs make the most money because NFL GMs are dumb.

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Are you going to retire your boner pants, or re-use them for the Lawrence era?

I gave them to good will.

Lawrence doesnt excite me the way Fields does but either way, you cant pass down boner pants from player to player.  New pair for each player.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TMAC said:

Considering the cast of characters surrounding Darnold, particularly his inept coaching, hard to say if this is true.  I feel the mishandling of Darnold is the greatest indictment against Chris Johnson and Gase.

He's injured again because he didnt pull the trigger to a wide open WR.  The weaponz/Gase arent the reason for that but further, here we are 3 straight years into his career he's not on the field again.  That's a trend.  He's soft both mentally and physically.   

• Upvote 2

On 9/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, Losmeister said:

On 9/29/2020 at 7:01 PM, Joejet said:

Peyton's career turned around when Adam Gase became his OC.

• Haha 1

I guess when he threw a pick six on his firs NFL pass that should have been a clue lol. Seriously though, Darnold, really needed to sit out most of his first season.  It was glaringly obvious that he really wasn't ready to start, that's why he played alot better when he came back from injury later his first year.   Last year was a bit better when he returned from Mono but he still didn't take the steps we were expecting and thats why I felt this had to be his "break out" season.  Unfortunately for him, all his skill position players got hurt in camp, no chemistry was ever created, and now we still are waiting on the likes of Mims, Perriman, V, Smith get on the field at the same time.  As a result he has regressed tremendously, being gun shy with his passes, missing wide open receivers...   I also think that the drafting James Morgan was something of a wake up call and slap in the face.  Granted it was in the 4th round but it was a subtle message that JD wasn't entirely sold on him.   I can't get inside his head but it appears that he has been pressing all season and not being his normal self.  I think the pressure of being the "franchise" here in NY may have gotten to him.  I think the best thing that can happen for Sam is to sit out the next 2 or 3 games.   Hopefully we would have at least Perriman and Smith back to along with Bell.  Maybe Herndon snaps out of his funk by then and Sam actually has a few more weapons to work with.  If I were him, I would have a "**** it" attitude and just go and have fun and not worry about next season or anything else.   If he strings together several good games, he knows he will have a place in this league, whether with the Jets or another team.  

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I guess when he threw a pick six on his firs NFL pass that should have been a clue lol. Seriously though, Darnold, really needed to sit out most of his first season.  It was glaringly obvious that he really wasn't ready to start, that's why he played alot better when he came back from injury later his first year.   Last year was a bit better when he returned from Mono but he still didn't take the steps we were expecting and thats why I felt this had to be his "break out" season.  Unfortunately for him, all his skill position players got hurt in camp, no chemistry was ever created, and now we still are waiting on the likes of Mims, Perriman, V, Smith get on the field at the same time.  As a result he has regressed tremendously, being gun shy with his passes, missing wide open receivers...   I also think that the drafting James Morgan was something of a wake up call and slap in the face.  Granted it was in the 4th round but it was a subtle message that JD wasn't entirely sold on him.   I can't get inside his head but it appears that he has been pressing all season and not being his normal self.  I think the pressure of being the "franchise" here in NY may have gotten to him.  I think the best thing that can happen for Sam is to sit out the next 2 or 3 games.   Hopefully we would have at least Perriman and Smith back to along with Bell.  Maybe Herndon snaps out of his funk by then and Sam actually has a few more weapons to work with.  If I were him, I would have a "**** it" attitude and just go and have fun and not worry about next season or anything else.   If he strings together several good games, he knows he will have a place in this league, whether with the Jets or another team.  

He has to know his time here is over, I guess maybe he's a back up for the next guy if he's not traded but that injury sealed Sam Darnold's fate as the NY Jets franchise QB.  It's over.  Nail in coffin.

@JetBlue

Sam is being EXACTLY himself. Fact is people mistale 2-3 nice plays per game as " he has so much talent" while overlooking 10-12 plays a game where he is BELOW AVG. Blithely choosing to ignore the ball bouncing offthe turf and us trotting out the punting unit again and again.

Claiming its the OC's fault.

Then looking at the game and claiming WRs werent open, blah blah blah....   CHerry picking a few games here and there where he looks like he belongs doenst discount the 6-8 games a year where is i BELOW AVG.

AVG doesnt work that way. 

51 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

honest qeustion:

Have the NYJ EVER invested as much in a single draft pcik as they did with Sam Darnold?

I can;t remember us doing that, but ...relaying solely on MY memory is not always MY best bet.

We traded 2 #1's to move up for Dewayne Robertson.

We also traded 2 #1's to move up for Johnny "Lam" Jones.

• Upvote 1