Sam Darnold is a bust

JustInFudge

On 9/24/2021 at 11:08 AM, JiFapono said:

I feel solace in the fact that I decided in the offseason my preference was to trade down for a kings ransom and give Darnold another shot with real coaching.

Counter point; Lil Mikey is an F'ing disaster. 

The next fork in the road will be a) sticking with Zach and firing Lafleur (because that will solve everything) or b) trade for Watson

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Damn EY.  Helluva good call here, and one even I might not have agreed with at the time.

Darnold has 6 wins since EY made this post. 

He'll get the other 7 wins this season along with a come back player of the year award.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Darnold is to QB what Becton is to OL what Douglas is to GM

No.  Darnold is to QB what Mike Maccagnan was to GM:  2 people who were objectively terrible at their jobs who got far more chances than they deserved.

Somewhat ironically, each has the other to thank for why they got additional chances, too.  Maccagnan got an extra year or 2 here because people had hope for Darnold.  And Darnold got his 2nd chance in Carolina (+ the $19M 5th year option) because of how bad the Macc-built Jets were.

• Upvote 1

That Draft Class exemplifies the 50/50 nature of the 1st Round:

1. Mayfield - Not Great, Not Bad.  Average at best with a side of dramaqueen.  Not remotely worthy of a #1/#1 pick.

3. Darnold - Bust.  Gave a little hope, but frankly was never that good, will likely never be good.  

7. Allan - Well supported Stud.  Most likely to win a Super Bowl in his future.

10. Rosen - Bust.  Worst QB of his class by far.

32. Jackson - About as bad a passer as most of us thought, but a spectacular runner whose made it work.  A hit esp. this late for Balt.

2 long-term winning starters, 1 medicore/average starter, 2 poop players, 1 of whom has got lots of chance, 1 of whom didn't even deserve that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That Draft Class exemplifies the 50/50 nature of the 1st Round:

1. Mayfield - Not Great, Not Bad.  Average at best with a side of dramaqueen.  Not remotely worthy of a #1/#1 pick.

3. Darnold - Bust.  Gave a little hope, but frankly was never that good, will likely never be good.  

10. Rosen - Bust.  Worst QB of his class by far.

32. Jackson - About as bad a passer as most of us thought, but a spectacular runner whose made it work.  A hit esp. this late for Balt.

2 long-term winning starters, 1 medicore/average starter, 2 poop players, 1 of whom has got lots of chance, 1 of whom didn't even deserve that.

Having watched that UCLA-Texas A&M game live, I am still surprised Rosen was so unable to achieve anything in the NFL.  That performance was one of the best I can recall ever seeing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Having watched that UCLA-Texas A&M game live, I am still surprised Rosen was so unable to achieve anything in the NFL.  That performance was one of the best I can recall ever seeing.

Yeah I'm not shocked he didn't work out but I'm fairly shocked Rosen was "can't get on the field, given up on after one year in multiple locations" bad.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, bitonti said:

It doesn't make him hard

Well I mean making out with sweat hogs in a Hoboken bar probably does make him hard

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

I remember that Pixel 2. What a trusty friend

Everytime one of these threads gets necro'ed I have to waste valuable time making sure my responses were well-reasoned and high-quality 

For example, this gem. 

as for sam darnold for all his terribleness, he still beat the Jets last year 19-14. How bad are we? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Josh Allen had the strongest arm anyone's ever seen at a combine since Jeff George - He's like 6'5" and runs a 4.6

the dude was an outlier

what did Sam Darnold do that was so special? What is he "world class" at exactly? 

people make the NFL draft out to be like quantum physics but fans could do better. A lottery pick some drunk guy out of the audience could make better picks.

it's really not all that hard if you squint at the measurables and use a half ounce of optimism

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

what did Sam Darnold do that was so special? What is he "world class" at exactly? 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nothing.  Which is what I said at the time.

The Rose Bowl.  He did the Rose bowl.

That was enough for Macc, who I suspect didn't care about winning as much as he cared about taking the chalk pick so he had plausible deniability, to make him the guy.

Even if you were a seller on Darnold, it was hard to argue with the pick.  Mission accomplished.

• Upvote 2

On 9/27/2020 at 7:16 PM, Larz said:

Really never had a chance. Started about 15 games in high school and about 20 at USC

then maccagnan trades 3 high picks for him that were needed to build around him and built the defense 

then they start him year 1

if there was ever a guy that needed a year to learn it was Sam   Not only really young but a green and raw young 

What this franchise did to him is criminal abuse 

They ******* did it again.

They ******* did it again. 

☹️

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Dang, this thingy got bumped?  COOL!!!!  Peeps these posters, wonder if they're still believers? bwahahahahahahahahaaha

See who reacted to this

1. Thai Jet

Thai Jet

September 28, 2020
  2. rangerous

rangerous

September 28, 2020
  3. YankeeJet22

YankeeJet22

September 27, 2020

1. SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN

SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN

Almost 2 years later, this dude joined in o the neg rep.  That said, I respect it given the avatar name.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...