Sam Darnold is a bust

JustInFudge

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You have to build something of a team first.   Any young QB on a team with no talent will bust.  

I am not saying he doesn't look like one.  But if you draft another qb, and throw him in there with no online, no running attack, no wr, the next one will bust too.

The lack of talent is amazing.

For years we've been hearing "why invest in X until you have a Y?"

You upgrade pieces as the opportunity arises. Waiting for that specific piece before you start to make the team better is just more revolutions on the carousel of sadness.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

This is on CJ. Darnold was the best QB prospect  we have had in 20 years. CJ put an organization  around him that failed him miserably.  Darnold can rebound from this but that is very unlikely considering what we have on this team.

Darnold is toast.

Christopher Johnson is the biggest pussy owner ever. If CJ was a man he’d fire Gase right now and walk into the locker room with a fire and address the team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

this franchise just doesnt get it, and it may never get corrected as sad as it is to say. 

I think Douglas will do it right.  I’m just sad that we sacrificed Sam to do it.  I said it before the season started.  Douglas is holding out the resources for his coach and his QB.  

This is the price the organization has to pay for firing Maccagnan too late.  A new GM doesn’t come in to help the guy he replaced have a good legacy.  Typically, they want it built in their vision.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think we should give Darnold a chance in a better situation before giving up on him. I am someone who typically gives up on QBs quickly. I have my doubts on Darnold but he definitely has the physical gifts to be a successful NFL qb and he's been in the absolute worst situation imaginable.

Lots of players have the physical gifts.  Few have the mental game and the killer instincts.  Sam is soft like the boogie board he lays on his belly on when he rides waves like a child while the big boys stand up. 

• Upvote 2

Darnold has been terrible today, no way around it, but he is still the 2nd youngest QB in the league and he still has an all time bad coach and pathetic roster behind him which has definitely contributed greatly to his poor and inconsistent play.  It's painfully obvious that Gase needs to go and the roster needs a complete overall before we can get a truly fair assessment of Darnold.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure that he will ever get the chance because the team is so bad that they are likely not going to commit to a 5th year option and a massive contract extension to him if the team is still so far away for legitimately being a playoff contender. They might be better off resetting at the QB position, especially if they are in line to draft the next great QB prospect.  Very sad times we are going through, Jets fans.

•  
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think Douglas will do it right.  I’m just sad that we sacrificed Sam to do it.  I said it before the season started.  Douglas is holding out the resources for his coach and his QB.  

This is the price the organization has to pay for firing Maccagnan too late.  A new GM doesn’t come in to help the guy he replaced have a good legacy.  Typically, they want it built in their vision.

What is his vision?

It's tough to call a guy a "bust" when clearly the Jets being an inept clown show that failed him in every conceivable way is clearly a massive part of the issue... But on this day, in 2020 it's extremely clear he's not "the guy."

He's not someone you'd consider building your team around. He doesn't have it.

Frankly, if we had drafted Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson I have zero doubt we'd be sitting here talking about how they were "busts" right now, but it doesn't change the result. It's over.

The only hope is that Douglas knows what he's doing at all. It's clear nobody else in the org does.

If I were Trevor Lawrence I'd make it clear I would never play for the New York Jets. Pains me to type that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Let’s just put any doubt to bed.  I will be the first to admit that I didn’t want it to be true and defended him in many cases but it’s real. Sam Darnold is a bust. 

It's hard to argue this. I'm holding out hope for a coach who knows how to maximize his talents, but are his talents even maximizable? 

I didn’t really like Sam coming out of college but I rallied around him. The reasons I didn’t like him are still present. Questionable arm, bad deep ball, splash plays but inconsistent, bad footwork, rarely elevated his team above the opponent. It’s over for the kid here. I’m happy to move on if we’re position to get a young stud. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I have been a Darnold supporter but can’t see any future for him here. He is talented but can’t stop throwing interceptions. This is his third year but the problem is the same. That the whole team stinks makes it even more depressing. Poor coaching, lack of talent and a terrible injury situation.
I didn’t have any expectations for this year, but never thought it would be
this awful.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I do agree with that, I trust Douglas overall right now.  I just hope they stand back and give him full control.  That's my only fear. 

Maccagnan destroyed this roster maybe worse than any GM in football history.  It's honestly hard to believe there is a roster this bad in the NFL right now.  I feel bad for some of these guys I really do. 

Now its just who does JD feel is the guy to get it done. 

• Upvote 1

He’s the next Alex Smith.
Coaching is incredibly important, and Gase is not a good coach. The problem is that football doesn’t attract many intelligent people, so 99% of football coaches are dummies. So a guy like Belichick, who’s above average intelligence, looks like a genius relative to the stunads that coach in the NFL. Our problem is that the Johnson brothers are as dumb as the guys they hire.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

He’s a great kid! Really wanted him to be the guy to end all this... he’s just not that guy...

good luck Sam. I really do like you and wish you nothing but the best.  Try to get yourself to New Orleans if Brees retires. Perhaps Sean Peyton can get you playing the way I know you’re capable of playing. 

sorry bud!! It’s over here. Time for you and the Jets to move on!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He's a bust and won't be successful here.  I won't be one bit surprised if he goes elsewhere and is a solid starting QB withing a few years.

I believe both of those things.

I agree.  He needs to get a job elsewhere as a back up and in a few years, I could see him being a solid QB.  It is not going to happen here.  It is best for team and player to part ways.  Jets need to hit the reset button, and so does Darnold.

• Upvote 1