Sam Darnold is a bust

JustInFudge

38 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think Douglas will do it right.  I’m just sad that we sacrificed Sam to do it.  I said it before the season started.  Douglas is holding out the resources for his coach and his QB.  

This is the price the organization has to pay for firing Maccagnan too late.  A new GM doesn’t come in to help the guy he replaced have a good legacy.  Typically, they want it built in their vision.

Be that as it may, he could’ve gotten one or two more wide receivers on the team. This is criminal negligence.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think we should give Darnold a chance in a better situation before giving up on him. I am someone who typically gives up on QBs quickly. I have my doubts on Darnold but he definitely has the physical gifts to be a successful NFL qb and he's been in the absolute worst situation imaginable.

I totally get this point of view, but it just isn’t going to work out for him here. The bottom line is that this roster is a nightmare and there will be a guy available in the draft who no NFL GM is passing on.

If Darnold wants to save himself here, he has to go on a magical run and start throwing touchdown passes and winning games. Barring that miracle, the party is over. The guy who the team brought here to get the most out of him could be gone within the week. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, shevys said:

Be that as it may, he could’ve gotten one or two more wide receivers on the team. This is criminal negligence.  

Eh.

I’ve been rough on him for that too but next years FA’s are much better than this years.  He probably looked at that and figured “why waste the resources this year when I don’t want the QB or Head Coach currently in place???”

Sucks...but that’s the political aspect of the sport.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

No.  He won't.  Admittedly, I never saw Archie Manning play..  But everything I have heard is that he had balls.  His sons certainly did.

Darnold is a cotton ball.  A vagina diaper.  Hard to play QB without competitive spirit.

Eh, I think this is a bit much

I think he’s just one of those guys who struggles to consistently make good decisions. Usually those guys never put it all together, but occasionally they do after moving around the league and continuing to develop.

But, barring a miraculous turnaround,  he’s done here. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Stockpile draft picks, sit on a war chest, hire the Head Coach that he actually wants to see lead the team, use the war chest on smart FAs, not over pay for guys like Mosley or Bell, use the picks to draft a highly touted QB prospect + a young core of OL and skill position players. 

Douglas did the painful, but smart, thing.  He looked at the overall state of the roster and determined that the Jets are not going anywhere this year, saved the majority of his money, traded off an overrated malcontent for a haul, and is patiently waiting.  We all want “microwaved results”, but it’s just not feasible with the roster Maccagnan left behind.

Mogglez I think you are one of best posters on here but I can’t agree with this overly optimistic appraisal ...you can’t simply sacrifice a season like that, the way to build is not to put out abject and inept and to deliberately sabotage yourself with players that would be laughed out of a replacement team tryout ....that simply is not a plan.
His much hyped revamp of the OL came at the expense of almost every other position on the roster and that OL is either unable to get on the field or is as bad as it was last year(which he also had a hand in) stock piling draft capital or cap space is only ever any good if you actually do something with it.
I get that the cap ramifications MIGHT make things interesting next year and I love that he got what he did for Adams but he was almost entirely to blame for Adans discontent in the first place and our defence is being gashed and exposed because it’s far and away best player got traded and we once again have absolutely ZERO pass rush. I’m sorry but Douglas needs his feet held to the fire over this too. His failures leave both Gase and Darnold legitimate excuses and we really need to know what we have here and his failure to put an even remotely competent level of talent out there cannot be just passed over IMO. At some pint we need to get over Maccagnan and accept that JD has had ample opportunity to shape this team and world beating culture he claims to want to foster and as of now he’s miles off. The jury remains out 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Terrible game for SD but..Darnold has no one to throw to and a trainwreck of a franchise to play for. Are you serious about those starting WR today...garbage. 

3 Practice squad O lineman.  

Kyler Murray basically threw every ball today to Hopkins and still threw 3 picks. And lost the game.  But he's the second coming 

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Who both amounted to nothing after leaving.  And yet, what actually did happen was the Jets passed on Patrick Mahommes and DeShaun Watson because we needed to SEE WHAT WE HAVE in Christian Hackenberg - who has the same NFL stat line as you... 

Jets fans are more afraid of something that’s never happened than something that just happened and cost us a HoF QB and 4 other high draft picks.

Indeed. However when Geno had a spot start for Eli two years ago I kid you not the old Genoids came out of the woodwork to crow how finally now we would see we shouldn't have ever given up on him.

That'll be our future until Sam retires. Just comes with the territory of being a Jets fan, I suppose.

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think the Adams trade was an overall positive but the entire draft class being injured is beyond bizarre. The coach doesnt even know what Becton's injury is.

There is clearly something badly wrong when you look at the injuries from last year through to now....that is not simply a run of bad luck, either your training methods and personal conditioning are not up to professional standard or you are acquiring players who’s technique and conditioning are not good enough to begin with and make them susceptible to injury. Or both 

it’s a mess

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

That kind of thinking is what gave us many years of Sanchez and Geno despite them obviously not having it.

I am not giving up on him just yet but he really doesn’t look like a QB that can lift his team     with that being said Would like to see what he can do when the starting receivers get back on the field to make a fair accurate decision but as of now he looks gun shy and doesn’t have what it takes to be a franchise QB here in NYC 

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I am not giving up on him just yet but he really doesn’t look like a QB that can lift his team     with that being said Would like to see what he can do when the starting receivers get back on the field to make a fair accurate decision but as of now he looks gun shy and doesn’t have what it takes to be a franchise QB here in NYC 

Good news for you, I don't see Gregg Williams benching him for Flacco.

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Mogglez I think you are one of best posters on here but I can’t agree with this overly optimistic appraisal ...you can’t simply sacrifice a season like that, the way to build is not to put out abject and inept and to deliberately sabotage yourself with players that would be laughed out of a replacement team tryout ....that simply is not a plan.
His much hyped revamp of the OL came at the expense of almost every other position on the roster and that OL is either unable to get on the field or is as bad as it was last year(which he also had a hand in) stock piling draft capital or cap space is only ever any good if you actually do something with it.
I get that the cap ramifications MIGHT make things interesting next year and I love that he got what he did for Adams but he was almost entirely to blame for Adans discontent in the first place and our defence is being gashed and exposed because it’s far and away best player got traded and we once again have absolutely ZERO pass rush. I’m sorry but Douglas needs his feet held to the fire over this too. His failures leave both Gase and Darnold legitimate excuses and we really need to know what we have here and his failure to put an even remotely competent level of talent out there cannot be just passed over IMO. At some pint we need to get over Maccagnan and accept that JD has had ample opportunity to shape this team and world beating culture he claims to want to foster and as of now he’s miles off. The jury remains out 

Appreciate the kind words regarding me as a poster.

It isn’t the first time that a GM has done something like this, and it won’t be the last time.  I’m not a fan of it, but the truth is Joe Douglas fought for that 6 year contract because he knew that this wasn’t a “blow your load on FA and give Gase and Sam all the weapons” type of fix.  It’s going to take a lot more than that.

The fact of the matter is this: no GM candidate, especially one of Douglas’s league wide reputation, was taking this job knowing that he wouldn’t be allowed to pick his own QB or his own Head Coach.  Douglas will be given free reign to do what he wants and, quite frankly, if he gets one of the top tier coaches and a top tier QB prospect that he builds around...2020 will be a blip on the radar.  He’s, rightfully, thinking long-term.  We can not like it all we want.  His seat is the only one that is ice cold right now.

Lastly, Adams was wrong in every way shape and form of the word “wrong”.  The fact that Douglas got two first for him was nothing short of a miracle.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

No.  He won't.  Admittedly, I never saw Archie Manning play..  But everything I have heard is that he had balls.  His sons certainly did.

Darnold is a cotton ball.  A vagina diaper.  Hard to play QB without competitive spirit.

He is clearly soft.

Has a bang avergae arm, average mobility , bad field vision, bad at reading D, bad mechanics...

put him in a "perfect" situation and his ceiling miggggght be Alex Smith... more likely Dalton

• Upvote 2

I was a huge Sam supporter but at this point I think its over.  If I were the Jets I'd keep Sam next year and do my best to hide the fact that they would be interested in Trevor Lawrence so he doesn't go back to school.  Keep Sam next year and let him start hopefully the Jets draft a ton of offense and skill players.  Maybe you end up getting something for Sam after next season if you can upgrade the talent around him to a professional level.

If there were NFL crimes what the Jets did to Sam would be a life sentence.  I have no doubt that if they had drafted any QB within the past 5 years they would not have been successful saddled with this coach and lack of talent.  This organization is a dumpster fire.