Sam Darnold is a bust

JustInFudge

6 hours ago, JiF said:

They need a whole new offense basically but Sam Darnold is a bust, that is for sure.

I just heard his post game conference on SNY. Didn’t like what I heard. I’ve been a true believer in this guy even when he was at USC and hoped he’d land with the Jets. But he came across really passionless, boring and methodical. No anger, no humility, no desire.   @JTJet hit me right between the eyes when he described how he grew up and said Darnold’s bitch ass needs to man up. Absolutely ? correct. I’m done with this yo yo. He’ll eventually get traded, probably play decently with a better team but doubt he’ll ever be anything more than an average QB. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's a product of not being all that good of a prospect in the first place, and then getting worse in his surroundings.  

The only thing he ever does well is when he is improvising.  But that's not sustainable in the NFL.  Even the most mobile QB's have to be able to throw from the pocket, consistently.  He can't.  

His ceiling was, and still is, Andy Dalton.  In short, not good enough.

You mean the Andy Dalton that embarrassed us last year. That Andy Dalton. Love Dalton, love the way he sits in the pocket. No, at this point I wouldn’t even give Darnold such praise as comparing him to Dalton. I feel betrayed. JD needs to draft Lawrence, Fields or Lance next draft. I am ******* done. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, usapaw said:

It was ugly for sure but come on...we had a 2nd/3rd tier WR corp to start the season and they are all out. I just don't know if the backups are running the right routes/out of position? Sam is running for his life again; which means the GM did nothing to help him. Is it Sam's fault or the fact that we have some god awful WRs who can't get seperation? Our #1 RB is 100 years old. This is just a trainwreck. It can and will get worse. This team is a disaster and you can't fire 53 guys so you start with one; Adam Gase.

The group is just a bunch of backups but it's fiction that no one's ever open. He missed open receivers today even if his starters had names like Berrios. Changing the receivers makes it easier on the QB no doubt about it, but good receivers won't change errant throws into good ones. 

We all wish it wasn’t so, but he looks terrible out there; no different than the rest of the backups except for their respective, disproportionate hype.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

He has three 3+ TD games in his career - week 5, 2018 versus the Broncos (won 34-16), week 15, 2018 versus the Packers (lost 44-38) and week 10, 2019 at Washington (won 34-17). He has four games with 300+ passing - week 2, 2018 (20-12 loss to Miami), week 15, 2018 versus the Packers, week 6, 2019 (24-22 win over Dallas) and week 12, 2019 (34-3 win over the Raiders).

So no, he doesn't have five 3+ touchdown games in his career or five 300+ passing yard games in his career.

OMG he's so bad.  He's like, a super duper bust.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Last year Jameis Winston set the NFL Pick Six record with, fittingly, 6.

You guys think he's got it in him?

I would 100%, 10 times out of 10, take Winston over Darnold.    He threw for 5k and 33 TD's last year.  If you add all of Sam Darnold's starts up snice he's been in the league, you might come close to those numbers.  Winston is the only player in NFL history to throw for 4k and 20 TD's to start his career.  He might be dumb as rocks and he might turn the ball over 20 times a season but who cares?  At least we'd be watching an actual QB do actual QB things.

Bring Winston in on a 2 year deal, let Fields learn behind him.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's a product of not being all that good of a prospect in the first place, and then getting worse in his surroundings.  

The only thing he ever does well is when he is improvising.  But that's not sustainable in the NFL.  Even the most mobile QB's have to be able to throw from the pocket, consistently.  He can't.  

His ceiling was, and still is, Andy Dalton.  In short, not good enough.

To be fair, in April you had his floor as Andy Dalton...

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would 100%, 10 times out of 10, take Winston over Darnold.    He threw for 5k and 33 TD's last year.  If you add all of Sam Darnold's starts up snice he's been in the league, you might come close to those numbers.  Winston is the only player in NFL history to throw for 4k and 20 TD's to start his career.  He might be dumb as rocks and he might turn the ball over 20 times a season but who cares?  At least we'd be watching an actual QB do actual QB things.

Bring Winston in on a 2 year deal, let Fields learn behind him.

Also Winston was actually a pocket passer and we’re seeing time and again that darnold is not.  Which would be fine, but darnold isn’t a scrambling qb either.  So what is he?  He’s a good athlete with a good arm who can’t read defenses, kinda like a bigger version of Sanchez.

• Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Also Winston was actually a pocket passer and we’re seeing time and again that darnold is not.  Which would be fine, but darnold isn’t a scrambling qb either.  So what is he?  He’s a good athlete with a good arm who can’t read defenses, kinda like a bigger version of Sanchez.

He's the kid on the pick up courts who is arguably the best player on the court and then you recruit him to your organized team an try to put structure around his game and he's cant get off the bench. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's the kid on the pick up courts who is arguably the best player on the court and then you recruit him to your organized team an try to put structure around his game and he's cant get off the bench. 

It’s a shame.  But i do think that allen would have failed on the jets too.  And they couldn’t have drafted mayfied.  

The big question i have is, if douglas had drafted darnold, how would he have built around him diffferently from day 1?  We’ll never know, other than seeing how he picked beckton.  But new gms want their qbs, and they become new gms because the prior gm couldn’t get a good qb.  I think the writing for darnold has been on the wall all offseason, from bringing in flaccco to drafting Morgan to letting Robbie go.  The douglas regime was never going to be about darnold, and certainly not after they traded Adams which basically locked in the necessary draft capital to deal up for a qb.  And douglas did come from the eagles where wentz was the mvp before he got hurt.

4 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

I still think Sam can be okay somewhere else but remember the amount of people last year here saying Sam > Lamar, even after he won the MVP? Yikes 

My son had the perfect analysis of Darnold:   If everything is going perfect for the team, he's fine.   Once even one thing in the mix goes wrong, then he panics and starts overthrowing guys or pic 6s.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s a shame.  But i do think that allen would have failed on the jets too.  And they couldn’t have drafted mayfied.  

The big question i have is, if douglas had drafted darnold, how would he have built around him diffferently from day 1?  We’ll never know, other than seeing how he picked beckton.  But new gms want their qbs, and they become new gms because the prior gm couldn’t get a good qb.  I think the writing for darnold has been on the wall all offseason, from bringing in flaccco to drafting Morgan to letting Robbie go.  The douglas regime was never going to be about darnold, and certainly not after they traded Adams which basically locked in the necessary draft capital to deal up for a qb.  And douglas did come from the eagles where wentz was the mvp before he got hurt.

It certainly looks that way and it's why I posted the hypothetical thread after the Adams trade; "do 4 first round picks suddenly put Darnold on the hot seat" - the answer now, is cleary yes.  The real interesting development will be how they handle him the rest of the year; do they try Morgan, put in Flacco?  Sam will see the bench this season, that I'm sure of, you're right, it is a shame. It would have been really groovy for the future if Sam put a stamp on the job and removed any doubt but he's done the opposite and that's good too.  We needed closure.  Now if I'm JD, I go to CJ demand the appropriate reporting structure and let him know, the head coaching search will be done by him and his team and CJ will have no part of it and he's letting said new HC pick his new QB.

edit; I dont know that Allen or Jackson would have failed here because they have balls and can run and make plays and run a system.  Mayfield would have been a disaster.  Darnold is just a regular old fashion bust. 

I find this whole thread amusing.  Did you guys all just awaken from a coma?  Did anybody expect a good game out of him today? 

Comparing him to Winston is interesting, but Winston was playing for offensive coaches on teams with bad defenses.  That is exactly the kind of team that will run it up, particularly when loaded at the skill positions.  Gase was supposed to pivot us away from the defensive kill the clock mindset, but he seems to be a sh*tty coach that turtles into his shell to keep from getting hurt while he is kicked, instead of just airing it out.  The skill position guys still suck. 

I am not giving this kid a contract and quite possibly not even picking up the option.  That doesn't change the fact that he probably will stick around in the league.  This  week they face a depleted, weak Broncos team.  It will be interesting to see how that goes.  It will also be interesting to see how the board responds if he puts up a respectable game.  I will also be interested to see what the front office does.  Idzik sabotaged Rex and got the axe.  It looks like Douglas is going to get to pick his own coach if this continues.  First time that will have happened in a long time IMO.  Maybe Mangini, maybe before.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This is a decent enough analogy, but it is exactly what they were saying about Jackson before that draft.  Seems like they were able to find a structure that works for Jackson.  Maybe it will be impossible with Darnold, or maybe the "structure" that they are trying just sucks.  

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

I still think Sam can be okay somewhere else but remember the amount of people last year here saying Sam > Lamar, even after he won the MVP? Yikes 

There weren't many but I'll stand up and be counted that I was one of those people.  My theory is that Lamar is going to take a big hit at some point and eventually turn into RG III.  I still believe in Sam's ability btw but I think the Jets are just royally screwing him up.  And if somehow Sam and Lamar swapped teams, I think Sam would succeed in Baltimore while Lamar would be a disaster here.

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I find this whole thread amusing.  Did you guys all just awaken from a coma?  Did anybody expect a good game out of him today? 

Comparing him to Winston is interesting, but Winston was playing for offensive coaches on teams with bad defenses.  That is exactly the kind of team that will run it up, particularly when loaded at the skill positions.  Gase was supposed to pivot us away from the defensive kill the clock mindset, but he seems to be a sh*tty coach that turtles into his shell to keep from getting hurt while he is kicked, instead of just airing it out.  The skill position guys still suck. 

I am not giving this kid a contract and quite possibly not even picking up the option.  That doesn't change the fact that he probably will stick around in the league.  This  week they face a depleted, weak Broncos team.  It will be interesting to see how that goes.  It will also be interesting to see how the board responds if he puts up a respectable game.  I will also be interested to see what the front office does.  Idzik sabotaged Rex and got the axe.  It looks like Douglas is going to get to pick his own coach if this continues.  First time that will have happened in a long time IMO.  Maybe Mangini, maybe before.

There's a difference between expecting a mediocre performance and sh*tting your pants.  This is his 5th, 3 INT game (more 3 INT games than 3 TD games and 300 yard games).  He's 23 and you're not picking up his option..  He's destined to be a back-up.  That's a nice career for a 5th round pick, for the 3rd overall?  Bustalicious.

Technically, Darnold is playing for an offensive coach.  And putting up a "respectable game" vs the Broncos isnt going to suddenly create faith in Sam.  He needs to be lights out and even then, only a fool would fall for it again.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There weren't many but I'll stand up and be counted that I was one of those people.  My theory is that Lamar is going to take a big hit at some point and eventually turn into RG III.  I still believe in Sam's ability btw but I think the Jets are just royally screwing him up.  And if somehow Sam and Lamar swapped teams, I think Sam would succeed in Baltimore while Lamar would be a disaster here.

Jackson could wreck his knee tonight and still have been a vastly superior pick to Darnold. 

And it wasn't just that people predicted Jackson would get hurt.  People were saying that Darnold was BETTER than Jackson.  As in, they were saying he's a better passer and processor than Jackson, which was just insane at the time and even more insane now.  Jackson isn't just a runner, he's also a very good passer.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jackson could wreck his knee tonight and still have been a vastly superior pick to Darnold. 

And it wasn't just that people predicted Jackson would get hurt.  People were saying that Darnold was BETTER than Jackson.  As in, they were saying he's a better passer and processor than Jackson, which was just insane at the time and even more insane now.  Jackson isn't just a runner, he's also a very good passer.  

Jackson also has an infinitely better supporting cast and coaching staff

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Technically, Darnold is playing for an offensive coach.  And putting up a "respectable game" vs the Broncos isnt going to suddenly create faith in Sam.  He needs to be lights out and even then, only a fool would fall for it again.

You watch.  He'll throw for 225 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs and a solid 20-25 % of the board is gonna be like "SEE, SEE, HE'S THE GUY JUST GOTTA GET RID OF GASE"

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3