Will A HC Change Help Sam?

More Cowbell

Would it help Sam?  Yes, without question, simply because Gase has repeatedly proven throughout the entirety of his professional coaching career that involved him doing anything more than standing on the sideline watching Manning run the offense, that his presence is a detriment.

Now, will the help be to any degree of significance to suddenly make him the Jets' answer at QB?  Highly unlikely.  Regardless, it's still better to go with the excessively low odds that would come with a change, over the guaranteed failure that persists with Gase.  Especially considering we don't need this bleeding over to the future of this team any more than it already has.

Yes!!! Wouldnt it be nice for Sam to go to the sidelines and have a coach sit down with him and break a tablet out? Review what he is seeing/doing?  Josh McCown helped him like that in his first year. Since then, Sam just sits by himself when he comes off the field and stares into space. By the way, Loggins/"Spence" does what for this team?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The playbook doesn't change

The playcalling and tendencies within playcalling will certainly change and for the better.  JBC is an actual offensive mind who has ran a top 10 offense at 1 point in his career. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The entire offensive staff has been loyal to Gase for years

Who cares? They're professionals.  The only two offensive coaches who need to be shown the door are Gase and his caddy Loggains

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

the players seem to love him

Bc they said it wasn't his fault? The players loved Todd Bowles and Rex Ryan. I don't get that sense about Gase and have only ever heard one player say really nice things about him and that's Gore.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Not to mention, once the media and gullible-fan's favorite punching bag is out of town the venom quickly falls completely on Sam's shoulders.

Sam is in his 3rd year as the QB of the NY Jets. If he can't take criticism then he doesn't belong here. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The proper course of action is to let the injured WR's, OL'men, and RB get healthy, roll out the offense as it was originally intended back in July, and let Gase prove himself without injuries being a part of the equation.

No.  Just no. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Whatever, if that's the case he's pouring it on too thick. If he's full of sh*t he's making himself look bad. He could say we'll go over film, we will regroup, we have to come up with something, we have to be better, bla bla bla. But he says the plan was perfect for them and they failed to execute it.

Give the guy a break.  He played like crap.  What do you expect him to say?  

....and hey, perhaps the new HC will give Sam a QB coach....you know to help him with his mechanics and such....

Reading through this thread is funny. 

It’s either 

1) Darnold sucks or 

2) Gase sucks 

Nothing about the obvious talent gap with this roster which is really the problem. Terrible Oline, Terrible WRs, Slow running backs, Terrible TEs, No pass rushers, terrible CBs. 

Gase and Darnold are essentially working with a glorified XFL team. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Reading through this thread is funny. 

It’s either 

1) Darnold sucks or 

2) Gase sucks 

Nothing about the obvious talent gap with this roster which is really the problem. Terrible Oline, Terrible WRs, Slow running backs, Terrible TEs, No pass rushers, terrible CBs. 

Gase and Darnold are essentially working with a glorified XFL team. 

Excuses excuses excuses

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, NamathToCaster said:

I think not.  Sam has been told how great he is his entire life.  The NFL does not care what you did in the past.  He seems to not be maturing as quickly as Allen and Baker.  Both led their  teams to victory today.  Sam was a liability. 

we tookaninexperienced kid and said youare the guy. gave him no competition...

whatstarting QB has Sam established that he is better than? maybe haskins...anybodyelse? 

he's like a meh backup

4 hours ago, peebag said:

Yes, on another franchise.  This team is a disaster- the Johnsons will again go cheap on a coach and you're back to square one. 

The Johnsons are the problem and until that's fixed, this team will never amount to anything.

Don’t think so. They handed a ton of cash to JD. I think they are trying to get this fixed. We shall see. This next move will speak volumes.

19 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Excuses excuses excuses

Injuries aren’t the excuse. It’s overall lack of talent as a result of years of terrible roster in management. 

The 49ers being able to win with their backups is a testament to the way they’ve built their roster and the infrastructure they have. 

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Are you blaming Palmer for this? I mean seriously, do you think Gase is not responsible  for the development  of Darnold? Is that that what you are saying ?

This is absolutely  the most rediculous  thing you have tried to sell here. Look at who the Jets beat in that stretch where they went 6-2. A bad Giants team with a rookie QB who still suck, a bad Washington team also playing a rookie QB, a raiders team that got rid of every good player for draft picks, A Fins team that was also selling off everyone for draft picks who we barely beat, a Steeler team without Ben, Brown, or Bell, and a Bills team that rested all the starters for the playoffs.  

You sound like an idiot pointing to that stretch  and you do it all the time. Get head out of Gase's  butt. 

How did you read that? I’m not one to run to SAR’s rescue, but he pretty specifically stated he feels this is on Darnold himself. That doesn’t therefore mean he’s really blaming Palmer, unless you’re just trolling like he does.

Also I don’t care how frustrated you are - we all are - but control yourself & cut out the namecalling.

A friendly word of advice, though: if you’re going to call someone an idiot, you should learn to spell ridiculous when doing so, or you’ll look like an idiot. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Of course not.  The playbook doesn't change.  The personnel doesn't change.  The entire offensive staff has been loyal to Gase for years and the players seem to love him, it could actually cause animosity. 

Oh no anything but that. Can’t have that. If the players fall victim to animosity, it could really affect their play on the field and in the locker room. 

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I see no reason to make any changes that will not directly help Sam improve. Does getting rid of Gase and making Williams HC for the rest of the season help Sam?

First of all, you must change the HC. Not only for the QB but also 0-3 and many, many other reasons. Changing the becomes absolute necessity.

• Upvote 1

The question to me is who are you ready to give up on?  Gase is a coach who has failed at 2 head coaching spots. His offenses have been historically bad, worst in the league, even though he is supposed to be an offensive guru. His  last QB got better when he left Gase. The QB is 23 who has shown flashes of brilliance mixed in with questionable decision making leading to poor results. He’s also still on a rookie contract. I’d say it’s too soon to give up on the QB but more than time to give up on the coach. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Gase’s O is too complex to succeed consistently in the NFL. It’s what a football geek draws up without considering tuat there are 11 guys on D trying to prevent you from running your plays. It also has zero flexibility.

Sam will improve if Gase is fired and he gets a traditional O coach who runs tried and true plays which allow Sam to read simple keys i.e. safety in the box and call audibles. Then you build from there. Gase wants Sam and every player on O to do physics without first teaching them math. 

Sometimes football is as simple as lining up, running a play a high school team would run and beating the guy in front of you. That’s how you build snd evaluate a football team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Injuries aren’t the excuse. It’s overall lack of talent as a result of years of terrible roster in management. 

The 49ers being able to win with their backups is a testament to the way they’ve built their roster and the infrastructure they have. 

Gee and I guess coaching has nothing to do with the fact that some teams don’t self-reduce to a pile of dog crap when faced with adversity.

49 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Gase’s O is too complex to succeed consistently in the NFL. It’s what a football geek draws up without considering tuat there are 11 guys on D trying to prevent you from running your plays. It also has zero flexibility.

Sam will improve if Gase is fired and he gets a traditional O coach who runs tried and true plays which allow Sam to read simple keys i.e. safety in the box and call audibles. Then you build from there. Gase wants Sam and every player on O to do physics without first teaching them math. 

Sometimes football is as simple as lining up, running a play a high school team would run and beating the guy in front of you. That’s how you build snd evaluate a football team.

So, Mike McCarthy.

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'll say this, not many coaches want their fate tied to a guy they didn't pick unless he's proven. If he's an 'option' then sure, but the Jets were pretty clear that Sam wasn't optional. 

Why would they. I will ask you again, what team hired a new coach and then dumped the QB. When Gruene went to the Raiders,  did he get rid of Carr?

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How did you read that? I’m not one to run to SAR’s rescue, but he pretty specifically stated he feels this is on Darnold himself. That doesn’t therefore mean he’s really blaming Palmer, unless you’re just trolling like he does.

Also I don’t care how frustrated you are - we all are - but control yourself & cut out the namecalling.

A friendly word of advice, though: if you’re going to call someone an idiot, you should learn to spell ridiculous when doing so, or you’ll look like an idiot. 

Trolling? SAR has been trolling all of us for months with the constant defense of Gase and pointing to the cake walk we had last year in the second half of the season. And I admit I suck at typing on my phone.

And this is hilarious you decided to jump on me for calling a guy an idiot and do so in this manner when someone just called me a moron yesterday.  

6 hours ago, #90 said:

Yes!!! Wouldnt it be nice for Sam to go to the sidelines and have a coach sit down with him and break a tablet out? Review what he is seeing/doing?  Josh McCown helped him like that in his first year. Since then, Sam just sits by himself when he comes off the field and stares into space. By the way, Loggins/"Spence" does what for this team?

You are right it’s extremely bizarre. He just sits there watching the clouds. Jets haven’t done him any favors. What a mess.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oh no anything but that. Can’t have that. If the players fall victim to animosity, it could really affect their play on the field and in the locker room. 

It’s bad enough he’s still acting like a teen and playing badly; to have his teammates turn on him would only make it worse. That’s my point. 

SAR I

I look at Sam and I see a young Alex Smith. He looked completely lost as a 49er. At that point the Niners were a lot like us,(crappy roster,no talent,a revolving door of coaches),just compiling draft capital. Once he got out of the situation and started playing in a real system and a real coach,he was a pretty good quaterback and played great and consistent right up until his tragic injury. I can see Sam becoming exactly this. Minus the injury.

Although Sam probably can't wait to get out of here, I hope he stays and we find our guy as head coach. I, personally,would take Alex Smith as a Chief as my quarterback any day. I just think this kid still has talent if given "some" talent,a smart intuitive playbook, and the freedom to play to his natural abilities and not for some guru's ego. Let him toss it around the yard to some pro receivers (not the injured low level garbage we're carting out there) that do their part for a quarterback (and real pro receivers do their work for their quarterback), and see what we got then.

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm with you. Gase is trying to turn Darnold into Peyton Manning and it was never going to happen. 

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Alex Smith with Singletary = garbage. Alex Smith with Harbaugh = good.

Jared Goff with Fisher = garbage. Jared Goff with McVay = good. 

It's possible. But i don't see the Jets landing a Harbaugh or McVay. Those coaches are rare. 

Ofcourse

A good head coach coaches up players.  Belichick has a garbage roster in New England playing well.  

It's hard to answer that question!!!

Who ever is that comes in to be the head coach(if he's offensive minded), he could look at the films on Darnold, all three seasons with the offensive coordinator. They will have to come to a decision to scrap Darnold and look for another QB or if Darnold is salvageable. IMO, Darnold wants a chance to prove himself but it isn't his decision to decide his fate.

I believe the offensive coordinator must work with Darnold and create a offense that he can run. One that isn't difficult and is able to utilize all his weapons no matter who they are. But again Darnold has to want it!!!! He has to put in the time and learn it!!!!! 

2 hours ago, Big Snell said:

I look at Sam and I see a young Alex Smith. He looked completely lost as a 49er. At that point the Niners were a lot like us,(crappy roster,no talent,a revolving door of coaches),just compiling draft capital. Once he got out of the situation and started playing in a real system and a real coach,he was a pretty good quaterback and played great and consistent right up until his tragic injury. I can see Sam becoming exactly this. Minus the injury.

Although Sam probably can't wait to get out of here, I hope he stays and we find our guy as head coach. I, personally,would take Alex Smith as a Chief as my quarterback any day. I just think this kid still has talent if given "some" talent,a smart intuitive playbook, and the freedom to play to his natural abilities and not for some guru's ego. Let him toss it around the yard to some pro receivers (not the injured low level garbage we're carting out there) that do their part for a quarterback (and real pro receivers do their work for their quarterback), and see what we got then.

Here's the problem. 

Let's imagine that JD feels exactly like you do: Sam has the talent to succeed, so if we build a talented team around him and get him better coaching, he can be our Alex Smith. Ok, great. 

Is having a developing Alex Smith on the roster enough to keep you from taking one of the QBs in this draft? What if you have a chance to take Lawrence? Fields? 

Once JD goes to the offseason with a question mark at QB, he has to scout that position and consider all of his options for upgrading it. If he compares Darnold to some of the QBs in this draft class, there is no guarantee that he likes Sam more than several of them.