JD has no idea what he’s doing

kevinc855

34 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I feel this is said every year. He is not drafting 4 people in one postion. Look at all his previous drafts from Eagles and bears (on some years he didnt take any o line) We still need to address so much on this roster. 

He drafted three CBs, so four is not out of the realm of possibility. Two early OL, and one or two project type guys is not only feasible, but also a good strategy when building up your weakness. 

Let's split the difference and draft two OL prospects with premium picks. "We have too many starters and depth guys on our OL" is something I have never heard a team say. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

All very late...lottery picks at that point. 

I don't care if they were dart throws. He drafted three players in a position of need. Only one was late. Two were mid rounders. Even if he goes one of three on the CBs, that would be a win. 

Doubling and tripling down on positions is a good draft strategy in my opinion. Macc's two safety draft would have been viewed favorably had it not been in a year when Watson and Mahomes were available. Also, the Jets had a black hole at CB. 

There were two offensive linemen that the Jets drafted in the first round many moons ago. That worked out quite well for us. 

• Upvote 3

I like almost everything J D has done. Yes, last year’s draft loos like a wash right now, but mainly because of injuries that Joe had no control over. Let’s face it if you hit on even three draft picks you have a good draft. B. Hall looks like a keeper, our punter looks very promising. I still believe in “ Big Ticket” if he can overcome his rash of injuries. Also think that the future is bright for Mims but it will take time. Didn’t like the Qb pick and Perine went to high. A. Davis? Clark? Who knows..
I don’t understand why he didn’t load up on O- linemen in this draft- our starters have question marks and the depth is more than worrisome . Another thing that baffles me is our weak Te group- don’t tell me that you can’t pick up better options than Griffin on somebody’s p- squad! Not getting Conklin was a mistake. Over all I think our Gm though has done a better than decent job.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

Another good post.
I was watching the Jets Sunday, and also saw Matt Stafford lighting it up with the Rams after being lost on an island with the Lions all those years.
I couldn’t help but look at what Douglas has put on the field around this kid and see a comparable fate in store for Zach.

Stafford always had solid weapons. He usually had a terrible defense and pisspoor coaching staffs. His OL was poor at times as well but he had weapons pretty much all throughout. Zach has none. Corey Davis is a nice #2 receiver, but as a #1 I wouldn’t call him a “weapon”. Outside of Davis there’s literally no one on this team that’s a legit weapon for Wilson. Wilson is never going to be Stafford with this cast around him. We’ll be looking to the draft again in 3 years again unless serious changes happen fast

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Stafford always had solid weapons. He usually had a terrible defense and pisspoor coaching staffs. His OL was poor at times as well but he had weapons pretty much all throughout. Zach has none. Corey Davis is a nice #2 receiver, but as a #1 I wouldn’t call him a “weapon”. Outside of Davis there’s literally no one on this team that’s a legit weapon for Wilson. Wilson is never going to be Stafford with this cast around him. We’ll be looking to the draft again in 3 years again unless serious changes happen fast

What? Davis is the only option for Zach? You’re joking right. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

If JD drafted OL in rounds 3 and 4 last year instead of the guys who may not be on the team in 2022, this team would be in much better shape. 

He did. Cam Clark round 4. It’s unfortunate his injuries have slowed his development 

I did want C Matt Hennessy in round 3

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Listen, I love Douglas’ plan and strategy, but he still has to be good at executing that plan. So far there isn’t a single unit on this team that’s any good at all. Nothing we can hang our hat on and say we’re comfortable with the execution and progress. At some point there needs to be accountability. Becton can’t stay on the field, Mims can’t even see the field, Davis/Perine/Morgan/Clark….. seriously his best pick of the 2020 draft may well have been a punter.

Unlike prior GM’s it seems Douglas has a competent plan. Much like prior GM’s it doesn’t seem like he’s very good at executing the plan. Right now there is nothing to be excited about, including Zach because even if he is any good he’s going to wither with the lack of talent on this team.

Very well said.  

The only thing I can say in response, is that people are losing sh*t over 1 game.  It was week 1 and like every year, the overreactions are abundant.  I'm still pretty cool with seeing some more Football and not closing the door on careers after week 1 of a brand new field regime in which all the keys components are rookies. QB, HC, OC, DC.  

I dont think this is the week we get right but I do think we'll start to see this team improve as the season goes on and that's really all this year was about, getting better and having faith that Wilson is the guy.  Obviously if the 2020 class continues to be a wash, the rebuild is only going to be harder but if the Jets finish the season with a few guys starting to show out, that will go a long way to improving the talent level with next years draft capital and money available in FA.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Very well said.  

The only thing I can say in response, is that people are losing sh*t over 1 game.  It was week 1 and like every year, the overreactions are abundant.  I'm still pretty cool with seeing some more Football and not closing the door on careers after week 1 of a brand new field regime in which all the keys components are rookies. QB, HC, OC, DC.  

I dont think this is the week we get right but I do think we'll start to see this team improve as the season goes on and that's really all this year was about, getting better and having faith that Wilson is the guy.  Obviously if the 2020 class continues to be a wash, the rebuild is only going to be harder but if the Jets finish the season with a few guys starting to show out, that will go a long way to improving the talent level with next years draft capital and money available in FA.

Counterpoint: If and when the OL puts Wilson on the IR, the Jets instantly become an unwatchable lock for the 2022 first overall pick in a league where the Houston Texans exist. It’s a very, very bad team.

21 hours ago, Biggs said:

I think judging JD on his drafts, the overall talent level or the results is simply more whining by the fan base.  You can't be truly great at sucking without longevity of sucking.   Douglas needs to put together another few bad drafts before we can definitively say he sucks at his job.  

I agree.  Mac was allowed to botch 5 drafts and if this draft is a homerun, I think you can give the guy a pass for his first ever draft when he was partnered with a different Head Coach who had different systems/philosophies.  And if by chance some guys get healthy and show a little promise like Becton, Perrine, Davis and Hall...it's not a complete wash.

Then you just got to figure out Mims, does a full year in the system with Cole and Crowder seemingly gone create playing time for him or does this staff just hate him?  If that's it, then I'd look to move Mims in the offseason and recoup something.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Counterpoint: If and when the OL puts Wilson on the IR, the Jets instantly become an unwatchable lock for the 2022 first overall pick in a league where the Houston Texans exist. It’s a very, very bad team.

The OL is definitely the one area of criticism that I think JD is worthy of receiving.  That said, it hasnt been because of pure negligence like Big Mac.  He's at least invested in it every single offseason.  Plus, I really dont think they're going to continue to be that bad and some of that pressure was on Zach, which hopefully he figures out.

Again, lots of overreactions from Week 1.  It's a young team with all rookies coaches, this was always going to look ugly early.  This team sucks something awful, no doubt, that's why they're projected 5 wins.  So drafting early was a given and really wouldnt shock me if a veteran led Texans teams in a meh division, ended with a better record than the Jets.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

The Texans aren’t gonna be as bad as people think(if Tyrod stays healthy). They’re a team full of solid veterans. Unlike the Jets who are a team full of young nobodies trying to figure out who can play. 

Only thing I dislike what JD has done so far is not paying up for proven OL in free agency. Can’t skimp there. 

Yes, the entire Jet roster is fine.  JD is going with youth and seeing what we have...finding the people that can play and can't.

His main issue and it's a big one - is he needed to fill out that OL with more capable players - Fant, McGovern and GVR were abysmal last year and they're all starting again.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, the entire Jet roster is fine.  JD is going with youth and seeing what we have...finding the people that can play and can't.

His main issue and it's a big one - is he needed to fill out that OL with more capable players - Fant, McGovern and GVR were abysmal last year and they're all starting again.  

If he goes cheap again then idk how to feel. But at least I feel confident he makes it a priority overall and has targeted them high in each draft. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, slats said:

The system they’re running isn’t easy, isn’t learned overnight. The new prized rookie missed all of training camp, and last year’s prize rookie is now out 4-8 weeks. It’s going to take a bit before the OL is working like a unit, maybe most of the season. Sunday’s game was disappointing, but no big surprise. I was saying all offseason that I wanted to see the team get better over the course of the year. That’s what I’m looking for, and that hasn’t changed. If the Jets are a tough out and/or winning games in the second half of the season, I’ll feel a lot better about next year and beyond, and will probably be talking about playoff-like results, myself. My biggest concern is ZW developing bad habits running for his life feeling like he has to do everything on his own. I just watched that movie for the last three years. 

Douglas and Saleh didnt see this coming.....? Wilson should not be starting until the Oline is competent. Plain and simple. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

The Texans aren’t gonna be as bad as people think(if Tyrod stays healthy). They’re a team full of solid veterans. Unlike the Jets who are a team full of young nobodies trying to figure out who can play. 

Only thing I dislike what JD has done so far is not paying up for proven OL in free agency. Can’t skimp there. 

I mean, they’ve been actively tanking since Watson started demanding a trade.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

The OL is definitely the one area of criticism that I think JD is worthy of receiving.  That said, it hasnt been because of pure negligence like Big Mac.  He's at least invested in it every single offseason.  Plus, I really dont think they're going to continue to be that bad and some of that pressure was on Zach, which hopefully he figures out.

Again, lots of overreactions from Week 1.  It's a young team with all rookies coaches, this was always going to look ugly early.  This team sucks something awful, no doubt, that's why they're projected 5 wins.  So drafting early was a given and really wouldnt shock me if a veteran led Texans teams in a meh division, ended with a better record than the Jets.

I feel like it’s cool that Douglas is investing in OL, but it’s been a bit yikes-y when you consider the dudes he’s invested in. GVR was supposed to be a stopgap. McGovern has been shockingly bad. We hope Becton Vera-Tucker will be good, but Becton appears to have some maturity issues (physically and mentally) that he needs to overcome.

RE: Zack, he answered a Cimini question with something that raised an eyebrow. Zack was saying some of the sacks were on him, including the first one where he got crushed by Brian Burns. Burns runs a 4.5/40 and came in unblocked. I’m no mathematician, but it seems like a lot to ask of a rookie to get the ball off before a guy like burns can sprint, what, five yards to the QB?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, they’ve been actively tanking since Watson started demanding a trade.

I feel like it’s cool that Douglas is investing in OL, but it’s been a bit yikes-y when you consider the dudes he’s invested in. GVR was supposed to be a stopgap. McGovern has been shockingly bad. We hope Becton Vera-Tucker will be good, but Becton appears to have some maturity issues (physically and mentally) that he needs to overcome.

RE: Zack, he answered a Cimini question with something that raised an eyebrow. Zack was saying some of the sacks were on him, including the first one where he got crushed by Brian Burns. Burns runs a 4.5/40 and came in unblocked. I’m no mathematician, but it seems like a lot to ask of a rookie to get the ball off before a guy like burns can sprint, what, five yards to the QB?

hes-back.gif

What's up, Tom.  Nice to see you back on the board.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Yeah, you guys have proven it to me.  JD should have gotten Corey Linsley and Joe Thuney.  Doesn't matter if they wanted to play somewhere else or if other teams were interested in paying for their services to play for them and had better teams.  Screw the cap!  Blow the money on highest priced G of all time! JD had to get the best or failure.  Gotcha.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Origen said:

Yeah, you guys have proven it to me.  JD should have gotten Corey Linsley and Joe Thuney.  Doesn't matter if they wanted to play somewhere else or if other teams were interested in paying for their services to play for them and had better teams.  Screw the cap!  Blow the money on highest priced G of all time! JD had to get the best or failure.  Gotcha.

Any reports of the Jets upping their offer to Thuney, surpassing the Chiefs offer...... or even offering Linsley a contract? Not that I know of. Ditto with Conklin the year before. 

And it's a made up myth these guys wouldnt have come to play for the Jets. Free agents will usually go the highest bidder. CJ Mosley was an all pro linebacker at age 26 and he left the Ravens, a perennial playoff team, to sign with the Jets. Why? Dollars.

We cant keep making excuses. The Oline is ehh at best. Douglas has bungled it so far. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Origen said:

Better then what we got now 

Yes yes fellows, now I know we are just the Highest Priced Guard of All Time away from a Super Bowl run, but that is a pretty unique choice to use for cap space.  Perhaps in 2 years when you would be clamoring to sign... anyone... as we languish in cap hell because we have to pay The Highest Price of All Time to get anyone to come here you would THEN want to do a teardown and start with rookies/projects/high upside gambles?  Or just rinse repeat so we get to 10-7 once a decade and rebuild again?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Origen said:

Yes yes fellows, now I know we are just the Highest Priced Guard of All Time away from a Super Bowl run, but that is a pretty unique choice to use for cap space.  Perhaps in 2 years when you would be clamoring to sign... anyone... as we languish in cap hell because we have to pay The Highest Price of All Time to get anyone to come here you would THEN want to do a teardown and start with rookies/projects/high upside gambles?  Or just rinse repeat so we get to 10-7 once a decade and rebuild again?

How often do teams get in cap hell anyways? With a QB on on his rookie contract no less? 

On 9/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, SAR I said:

Jets Fans:  "It's been 4 weeks!  I've seen enough!  Get Adam Gase out of here right now!"

Also Jets Fans:  "It's only been 28 months!  Joe Douglas is not great at sucking yet!  We won't know that until Month 65!"

SAR I

Adam Gase was like Gale Sayers.  He’s suck was so intense that you didn’t need longevity to put him in the HOF of suck.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1