JD has no idea what he’s doing

kevinc855

On 9/17/2021 at 12:04 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas will be here at minimum for the full 6 years of his contract.  I get these threads are humorous but anyone thinking Joe Douglas is going anywhere before his contract is up is crazy.

If we have another “jet-like” season (5 wins or less) he’s on the hot seat next season 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Adam Gase was like Gale Sayers.  He’s suck was so intense that you didn’t need longevity to put him in the HOF of suck.   

Talking about Gase is a waste of time.  Talk about Douglas.  He’s shaping up to be the worst executive in team history.  There is a very good chance Douglas’ incompetence is so epic that no one will remember Gase at all in 10 years. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Talking about Gase is a waste of time.  Talk about Douglas.  He’s shaping up to be the worst executive in team history.  There is a very good chance Douglas’ incompetence is so epic that no one will remember Gase at all in 10 years. 

SAR I

Shouldn’t you be putting air in the tires of your 2004 Beamer

Its like half the posters here think that the only way to make an organization successful is to bring in someone with past success with the hopes that he can recreate that success using a dated formula and the other half of the posters here think that you need to stick with the current C-suite because the only way for the team to develop is by riding out the lean years and hoping to gain institutional competency in the long term. 

The truth is somewhere in between - maybe the New York Jets get lucky in 2023 sticking with same management by somehow avoiding crazy injuries, getting a cupcake schedule, and adjusting the scheme in a way that takes league by surprise.  Maybe the New York Jets will get lucky in 2027 bringing in a seasoned management team that retools the team and for some reason their dated vision for the league doesn't flame out.  Maybe the New York Jets just need to catch a lucky break and remain reasonably competent in the interim so they are in a position to capitalize on luck.  

42 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Its like half the posters here think that the only way to make an organization successful is to bring in someone with past success with the hopes that he can recreate that success using a dated formula and the other half of the posters here think that you need to stick with the current C-suite because the only way for the team to develop is by riding out the lean years and hoping to gain institutional competency in the long term. 

The truth is somewhere in between - maybe the New York Jets get lucky in 2023 sticking with same management by somehow avoiding crazy injuries, getting a cupcake schedule, and adjusting the scheme in a way that takes league by surprise.  Maybe the New York Jets will get lucky in 2027 bringing in a seasoned management team that retools the team and for some reason their dated vision for the league doesn't flame out.  Maybe the New York Jets just need to catch a lucky break and remain reasonably competent in the interim so they are in a position to capitalize on luck.  

I'm not spending another $5,000 to see more of same next year.  I'm just not.

I bought into what Christopher Johnson sold me in 2016 in the aftermath of the Fitzpatrick disaster which followed the Smith disaster which followed the Ryan disaster.  I understood as we sent good players packing and invested in Bryce Petty.  I understood again when it was Suck For Sam in 2017.  I bought in to 'rookie growing pains' in 2018.  I saw some light at the end of the tunnel with the 6-2 finish in 2019.  And then suddenly it was reset Sam and get Zach.  And it was spend all our draft and FA capital on the OL.  And it's here's another coaching staff, rookies again, just great.

But now?  If Joe Douglas isn't the guy there is no point in any of this.  He's reduced our roster to the level of an expansion team without the benefit of an expansion draft.  And, by the way, that's if our picks and FA's hit.  They aren't.  If we see more of same, if we see the same crap we saw in Carolina, forget it.  It'll take a decade to get back to respectability, we're looking at the 10's Bills or the 00's and 10's Browns level bad.  And I'm not spending another $100,000 to watch it.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Barton said:

Any reports of the Jets upping their offer to Thuney, surpassing the Chiefs offer...... or even offering Linsley a contract? Not that I know of. Ditto with Conklin the year before. 

And it's a made up myth these guys wouldnt have come to play for the Jets. Free agents will usually go the highest bidder. CJ Mosley was an all pro linebacker at age 26 and he left the Ravens, a perennial playoff team, to sign with the Jets. Why? Dollars.

We cant keep making excuses. The Oline is ehh at best. Douglas has bungled it so far. 

every FA has there own needs. for Mosley's it was Money. for others like Thuney it was a ring. 

he knew Cam wasnt the answer and didnt want to play with a Rookie QB in NE. wasnt going to play for a Rookie QB in NY.

and Thuney, Linsley and Conklin all had one thing in common. they all went to teams who have QBs and except for the Chargers they all went to the playoffs. the Chargers could be in the playoffs this year and in the future with Herbert as QB.

coinincedence?

and you guys are killing JD for what? one game? he use 2 first rd picks on the line and signed Moses. those 3 should have been enough for us not to see what we did last Sunday. and i think it will get much better. 

alot of guys here will be eating crow in December. with this line and team

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I hear what you say about JD’s performance to date, and I agree with a lot of it. 

But the practical matter is that JD and Saleh are on aligned contracts and will have 3 years to put a better football team on the field.  JD’s first 1.5 years was really practice. 

It does look like JD is having better results with Saleh.  I think player performance is also inextricably linked to how they are coached, trained and developed.  Hopefully JD and Saleh can make this work together. 

But it is hard to use energy being negative on how JD messed up in 2019 and 2020.  Let’s see how he does from 2021 and forward   2022 should be above 500 and knocking at the playoffs.

He should overpay now for a RG though. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2020 at 9:27 PM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Problem with tanny was he went all in for a couple seasons. Any time you go all in you have to hope that you either win it all, or you drafted well enough for when you get in cap trouble.

Problem with his drafting was he traded away picks all the time and so if he didnt nail every pick we were screwed. Then that 2010 draft happened. Complete disaster.

The problem with Douglas is that he's not in at all. He cares nothing about winning and cares only about the cap.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

I hear what you say about JD’s performance to date, and I agree with a lot of it. 

But the practical matter is that JD and Saleh are on aligned contracts and will have 3 years to put a better football team on the field.  JD’s first 1.5 years was really practice. 

It does look like JD is having better results with Saleh.  I think player performance is also inextricably linked to how they are coached, trained and developed.  Hopefully JD and Saleh can make this work together. 

But it is hard to use energy being negative on how JD messed up in 2019 and 2020.  Let’s see how he does from 2021 and forward   2022 should be above 500 and knocking at the playoffs.

He should overpay now for a RG though. 

Or maybe give him credit for his successful moves? Idk maybe that

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Everyone will remember another epic failure by Gase.  When he hand picked Douglas.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I think you are throwing the  baby out with the bath water ok this one. He’s done some solid work with the cap and acquiring picks. Yet, his drafting seems to have been so bad I would say nobody will remember him in ten years unless he starts hitting. That’s my guess. 

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think you are throwing the  baby out with the bath water ok this one. He’s done some solid work with the cap and acquiring picks. Yet, his drafting seems to have been so bad I would say nobody will remember him in ten years unless he starts hitting. That’s my guess. 

He's an excellent capologist.  Great negotiator.

He sucks at picking players.  And that is sooooo much more important.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He's an excellent capologist.  Great negotiator.

He sucks at picking players.  And that is sooooo much more important.

SAR I

Yes it is, unless he can somehow farm it out, because rest of it he’s really good at. But more I read I’m pretty sure he’s never really made good to great picks anywhere, I mean directly.