• Leftwich
    • Gregg Williams
    • Jason Garrett
    • Joe Brady
    • Greg Roman
    • Other

17 hours ago, BCJet said:

Greg Roman or Arthur Smith

Both guys know how to design an offense around the talent on the roster.  Im just not sure Smith has enough experience to be the HC.

Roman has been with some good coaches and has enough experience to lead an organization. 

Either guy would be great to work with a rookie QB.

The Ravens were putrid tonight and threw for under 100 yards. I would like an offense that resembles a 21st century team.

14 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm not sure Michigan fans would call him a winner.

In his five years at Michigan he's 10-14 vs. top 25 teams, 2-11 against Top 10 teams.  He's 1-4 in bowl games and, most importantly, 0-5 vs. Ohio State.  All this, depsite having Top 20 recruiting classes including two in the top 5.

Harbaugh did well in his NFL stint, but at Michigan he's done nothing but beat up on far inferior teams.

Hard pass on Harbaugh

It's college football. Who gives a rats ass. He won in the NFL with questionable talent at QB and skill positions.  He's the top choice.

If the Jets decide that Darnold is still the future, then an interesting choice would be...

David Shaw

As a head coach, has helped to develop many NFL players:

Defense: Harrison Phillips, Justin Reid, Solomon Thomas, Blake Martinez, Henry Anderson, Trent Murphy, Richard Sherman, 

Offense: Andrew Luck, David DeCastro, Zach Ertz, Andrus Peat, Joshua Garnett, Christian McCaffrey, Austin Hooper, Doug Baldwin

86-34 as head coach of Stanford

3 time pac-12 championship

5 time pac-12 north division champion

5-3 in bowl games

Shaw comes from the Jim Harbaugh tree.  Discipline and hard work.

Shaw is a very well respected college coach with ties to the NFL

Why would he leave?

Had a rough 2019 (4-8), only losing season

48 years of age.  Still young enough make the jump to the NFL and go back to college if it doesn’t work out

Connection: Worked with Joe Douglas in Baltimore 2002-2005.  Hopefully there is a deeper connection than just being at Ravens at the same time.

Offensive Coordinator: Former Jets assistant Pep Hamilton

Worked as Shaw’s OC at Stanford

Known for developing QBs

Spent 1 year as Chad Pennington’s QB coach (2004)

Spent 3 years as the Colts OC (2013-2015)

Andrew Luck had his best NFL season with Hamilton as his OC, throwing for 4700+ yards and 40 TDs

QB coach:  Andrew Luck

A dedicated, young QB coach to help Darnold develop

Hasn’t been away from the game for too long which gives insight into some of the more recent things defenses are doing

Luck has spent time at the Manning Passing Academy as a counselor helping other QBs

Wanted to be a teacher after football so perhaps being a QB coach may be of interest

Luck played for Shaw at Stanford

Also, as previously mentioned, played for Hamilton at Stanford and the Colts

Shaw would change the culture at the Jets in a similar way to Jim Harbaugh if he were the coach.  Hamilton and Luck give Darnold the right support in order for him to develop and reach his potential.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, varjet said:

Tell Gase to promote JBC to OC and ask that he call the plays. If he refuses, fire Gase and have one of JBC or GW be interim HC.  We need to build up Darnold’s trade value so he can go to a team with a better roster, hopefully in the NFC.  

IMO, this is the sole mission the rest of the way and they have to get Gase out if only to ensure that it’s not actually Gase hurting Darnold’s development. I think Jim Bob’s experience with Stafford could be invaluable in dealing with a similar player in Darnold. 

On 9/27/2020 at 11:04 PM, Untouchable said:

Mike Shanahan 

His offenses could consistently run the ball no matter who was lining up in the backfield. He has proven that he’ll tailor his offense to his players strengths and not stick square pegs into round holes. He’s one of the most well connected guys in the entire NFL landscape who has consistently put together coaching staffs with great young talent.

And before you tell me he’s too old, he’s the same age as dudes like Belichick, Carrol and Arians.

We don’t need some flash in the pan, “hot name” assistant coach.

We need a goddamn grownup who will command the room and demand respect immediately.

I heart this now and I hearted it in Jan 2019.

7 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

If the Jets decide that Darnold is still the future, then an interesting choice would be...

David Shaw

As a head coach, has helped to develop many NFL players:

Defense: Harrison Phillips, Justin Reid, Solomon Thomas, Blake Martinez, Henry Anderson, Trent Murphy, Richard Sherman, 

Offense: Andrew Luck, David DeCastro, Zach Ertz, Andrus Peat, Joshua Garnett, Christian McCaffrey, Austin Hooper, Doug Baldwin

86-34 as head coach of Stanford

3 time pac-12 championship

5 time pac-12 north division champion

5-3 in bowl games

Shaw comes from the Jim Harbaugh tree.  Discipline and hard work.

Shaw is a very well respected college coach with ties to the NFL

Why would he leave?

Had a rough 2019 (4-8), only losing season

48 years of age.  Still young enough make the jump to the NFL and go back to college if it doesn’t work out

Connection: Worked with Joe Douglas in Baltimore 2002-2005.  Hopefully there is a deeper connection than just being at Ravens at the same time.

Offensive Coordinator: Former Jets assistant Pep Hamilton

Worked as Shaw’s OC at Stanford

Known for developing QBs

Spent 1 year as Chad Pennington’s QB coach (2004)

Spent 3 years as the Colts OC (2013-2015)

Andrew Luck had his best NFL season with Hamilton as his OC, throwing for 4700+ yards and 40 TDs

QB coach:  Andrew Luck

A dedicated, young QB coach to help Darnold develop

Hasn’t been away from the game for too long which gives insight into some of the more recent things defenses are doing

Luck has spent time at the Manning Passing Academy as a counselor helping other QBs

Wanted to be a teacher after football so perhaps being a QB coach may be of interest

Luck played for Shaw at Stanford

Also, as previously mentioned, played for Hamilton at Stanford and the Colts

Shaw would change the culture at the Jets in a similar way to Jim Harbaugh if he were the coach.  Hamilton and Luck give Darnold the right support in order for him to develop and reach his potential.

i'm picking up what you're laying down...this is a good option with either 14 or 16 as quarterback, a CEO type coach

On 9/28/2020 at 9:11 AM, varjet said:

It will be a complete embarrassment to the NFL is the top QBs start making noise that they are not playing for this dumpster fire team anymore.  

Woody Johnson, who is now 20 years older than when he bought the team, needs to do two things to right the ship.

Tell Gase to promote JBC to OC and ask that he call the plays. If he refuses, fire Gase and have one of JBC or GW be interim HC.  We need to build up Darnold’s trade value so he can go to a team with a better roster, hopefully in the NFC.  

Then they need to bite the bullet and hire a better medical and training staff to start getting these players in better playing shape.  JD can be the best drafter in the NFL, but if his players can’t play we are going no where.  

Then the Johnsons need to back off from any front office function and hire someone to run the team.  They need to tell all present and future players that the Johnsons only sign off on the budgets and signings of the Team Executive.  The Team Executive will get bonuses for performance.   They then can stay in Manhattan and East Hampton and stay out of it. 

I’m amazed that jets fans think Lawrence is going to come out of college early to play for the Johnsons the worst owners in all of sports

1 hour ago, Jet hustle said:

Todd bowles....

Mickey Callaway with the mets.   

This isn't the market to learn on the job

Instead of deflecting, answer my question.  Where is this mystical candidate coming from?

Last head coach I wanted as badly as Roman was Matt LaFleur.  How’s that working out in GB?

Bill O'Biren.

We then trade Becton for a 3rd rounder and throw in one of our 1st's from Seattle.

Seriously, I am on board with Gase out of here but knowing the Jets, i fear O'Brien or Marrone after they are out of their jobs by year end.

Regardless of who it is, if the reporting structure remains the same  - does it really matter? 

I picked Daboll, and would love the pick. Look at what he has done with a completely raw and inaccurate Josh Allen coming out of college? He also did it with a rebuilding Bills roster. It’s not like they were a stacked offense the moment Allen was drafted. To me, it has been one of the more impressive coaching jobs with a quarterback we have seen in the league recently. He also has learned from some of the best, BB/Saban/and McDermott is proving himself to be one hell of a coach.

I feel like J&J will make another run at their heartthrob Jim Harbaugh, and I’m not sure he’d be leaving Michigan after a covid non playing college season. So he’s probably out. 

If we are keeping Sam or drafting Trevor Lawrence I’m not sure that Greg Roman is the right fit. He has done great things with Lamar Jackson, but his best successes have been with running game and running QB’s (Jackson and Kapernick before him).

Bienemy is interesting, and apparently has been calling plays for Reid...but how much of that is actually true and not Reid just trying to help out his buddy?

Arthur Smith from Tennessee is an interesting name, but I don’t really know too much about his past.

Chances are J&J will be stuck with hiring sh*tty Jim Caldwell, or Scotty. I don’t have a lot of faith that the right hire will be made anymore.

3 hours ago, DeerPark said:

i'm picking up what you're laying down...this is a good option with either 14 or 16 as quarterback, a CEO type coach

Looking at defensive coaches Shaw has worked with that could be possible defensive coordinators:

• Lance Anderson (current Stanford DC) and also from the Harbaugh tree (San Diego, Stanford)

Other assistants from Shaw's time with the Ravens:

• Mike Pettine - probably won't leave GB with the way things are going there
  • Mike Smith - could make a comeback after being out a couple years
  • Dennis Thurman - been away from the NFL for a while but was recently coaching as Memphis Express (AAF) DC in 2019
  • Mike Singletary - Been coaching recently Memphis Express HC (2-6), Trinity Christian Academy HC (1-21, 2 seasons)... so maybe not
  • Rex Ryan - for those that want Rex back, this could be one way where he could focus strictly on the defensive side of the ball.  Shaw is the type of person that could deal with Rex's personality

Except for Thurman, all of the coaches during Shaw's Ravens years have NFL head coaching experience which could help Shaw in some capacity.  Ryan (8 years), Smith (7 years), Pettine (2 years), Singletary (2 years)

On 9/27/2020 at 9:25 PM, choon328 said:

Daboll has to be under consideration for what he's done with Allen. And you know he's doing it bc the HC is a defensive guy. 

The reason I like this is because it would weaken the Bills a little bit by taking him away and he would know them well when facing them. They look like the new owners of the AFC East so that would be good. 

With that said, I don’t know much else about him

No more former head coaches like Gase that never won anything.  No more "the next great head coach" coordinator.  We are WAAAAY past that sh*t.  We are in Leon Hess territory.  "Bill please coach the Jets, because I want to win before I die" territory.  Anything less than a former winning NFL head coach is total bullsh*t.  So who do I nominate?  

Bill Cowher (he's only 63).  Show him the money, make him an offer he can't refuse

Jim Harbaugh (56 yrs old)  Show him the money.  He has a .690 NFL winning percentage.  2x conference championship games and 1 Super Bowl appearance.   

Tony Dungy (64 yrs old).  .668 winning percentage over 13 seasons.  

We just need someone that knows how to win consistently and at the highest level. Aside from Weeb Eubank and Bill Parcells, (Pete Carroll didn't really get a chance), we've never had an elite coach.  

Sure it might be impossible to get any one of the above caliber for any price, but why not try and try hard.  Go big.  The last time we did we won the division and almost made it to the super bowl....

Of course David Shaw would be at the top of my list then as
I noted in another thread either of the SF coordinators:

Mike LaFleur (Passing Coordinator)
Mike McDaniel (Run Coordinator)

In addition Eric Bienemy and Brian Daboll (fantastic job masking
Allen's inaccuracy & turnovers) should be considered

Joe Brady is the guy. He worked under Sean Payton with the Saints and turned Burrow from undraftable to the number one overall pick in the draft. He is now doing a great job with the Panthers.

If you want the next Payton, McVay, or Shanahan meaning an offensive genius that can coach this team for many years Brady is the guy. The majority of guys being mentioned are incredibly bad.