Does anyone have an actual football reason why jets hired Gase??

jgb

The only theories I can think of are it came down to money or Macc sabotaged McCarthy out of fear that McCarthy would realize Macc was useless and get him fired.

Jets’ dysfunctional forced marriages/reporting structure breeds outrageous backstabbing and bus tossing. I think the Johnsons love sitting on their throne while the GM and HC come to them ratting out the other for infractions big and small.

• Upvote 2

Because, like Bowles, he was the cheapest option available.

If you ever want to understand why they do anything (or not do something) it always comes back to money.

The reason why billionaires stay rich is that they don't pay duck heads like gase 4 million dollars to sit at home. They won't do it on principle.

Capital > Labor

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  My guess. 
1) CJ is most likely a fool. I mean sincerely just not a bright man. 
2) Gase is a con man

3) he wanted to go offense

4) Gase started talking analytics?  Which, as we all know, is where football is going. 
5) sadly,  I really think Peyton played a major role in the choice.  

Peyton was getting even for playoffs loss. 

• Haha 2

It was almost universally panned as a horrible move by everyone on this board. We all knew it instinctively that this screw up who just ****ed up in Miami was going to come here and do the same thing. 32nd ranked offense since he's been here. Even if every player on this team was Susie Rottencrotch, a football "genius" could scheme them to 30th. Why oh why must the Johnsons always make the worst possible decisions at any given question? The only thing I'm sure of is them screwing up the next one too. 

• Upvote 4

Because the Johnsons don't know football.  They rely on the football people at hand.  In this case, Mac was the most senior football guy in the building.  Somehow they made the decision they wanted staff input.  That eliminated Rhule and McCarthy I'm sure.  I turn, they also gave a 23 year old kid input.  Gase, being socially awkward, probably talked a ton about numbers, analytics, stats.  Probably got Chris thinking this was the future and here we are.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Icer said:

CJ let Maccagnan have input and they decided they were going to hire Gregg Williams for some reason before the coach. Leadership failure on all levels

If the rumors are true...

Macc hired a DC

CJ hired the HC

The new HC helped get the GM fired

The new HC helped get the next GM hired

What an absolute clown show we are!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Because, like Bowles, he was the cheapest option available.

If you ever want to understand why they do anything (or not do something) it always comes back to money.

The reason why billionaires stay rich is that they don't pay duck heads like gase 4 million dollars to sit at home. They won't do it on principle.

Capital > Labor

Matt Rhule wasn't hired because hiring his own staff would be more expensive, and plus other teams were willing to bid higher. 

Johnsons ALWAYS go to the remainder bin, in the closeout aisle,  of the discount store, which is having a going out of business sale. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Matt Rhule wasn't hired because hiring his own staff would be more expensive, and plus other teams were willing to bid higher. 

Johnsons ALWAYS go to the remainder bin, in the closeout aisle,  of the discount store, which is having a going out of business sale. 

Matt Rhule also required a buyout

like a European transfer fee

that's money payable to Baylor before paying Rhule's salary

all these college coaches require buyouts except for KK who was between contracts or whatever 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

The only theories I can think of are it came down to money or Macc sabotaged McCarthy out of fear that McCarthy would realize Macc was useless and get him fired.

Jets’ dysfunctional forced marriages/reporting structure breeds outrageous backstabbing and bus tossing. I think the Johnsons love sitting on their throne while the GM and HC come to them ratting out the other for infractions big and small.

war-of-the-colossal-beast.jpg

This is how I toss buses, so who am I to judge. 

I think the actual football reason is that the hire was via someone who knows nothing about football. That, and no-one really wants an inept boss to pick someone who is technically below them in the pecking order that's this side of fckd up with the Jets.

I don't have anything against Gase or any other idiot the Jets have paraded out there as a HC. I just want said idiot to win. It never happens. Let me preface that by saying that I'm Bruce Coslet's daughter. Don't talk about my Dad. Thanks. 

Gase has very similar on the spectrum autism displayed by both Bill Belichick and Mangini.   I suspect while all 3 are probably geniuses and display anti-social behavior bordering on sociopathic, only Belichick has been able to actually express and teach his knowledge to the idiot savants who excel at one thing, playing pro-football.  

Gase was hired because the Johnson are obsessed with finding the next Ray Babbitt to coach the Jets. 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

The next head coach should be picked by a consulting firm with help from former GMs.

Yep.  Sound advice.

Charlie Casserly, if I ever see that guy. Get a load of this. I could've come up with half of this crap and I'm not an 'NFL Consultant'. Plus, much of what he says is highly contradictory. It's old, but telling:

https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/b2d2f8aff72542/why-exjets-consultant-charley.html

It was a stupid, ridiculous, exercise in futility to hire Casserly. Casserly was openly 'giving advice' to several other teams, some of who were in direct competition with the Jets. To spell that out more clearly, he was giving advice to rivals. How is that not a conflict of interest as far as the Jets kicking themselves in their own ass? When Casserly was asked why Todd Bowles didn't work out, he dodged the question by saying he didn't want to comment on it.  Right, because you fcking suck, Casserly.

The real problem with the Brothers Idiot is that is that they can't keep their inept fingers out of it. If an astronaut tells me he wants to take me up on a space ride, I'm not letting a mechanic from Valvoline pilot the ship. What is so hard about this. 

If they had any brains, they would simply call up Cowher, explain they're willing to let him run the whole deal as club president, write him a big check and get the f___ out of the way. Would mean letting him decide whether to keep Joe Douglas, and pay Gase to go away and pay a real coach.

But that all costs money. And further would mean nobody would ever again care what either Johnson brother thought about anything. That works;  while he's made a total mess of the Knicks, Jim Dolan letting John Davidson run the Rangers looks to be on the cusp of good things. 

Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Leach, Dabo Swinney-   require buyouts(except Meyer) and a big contract. Money. You will have to blow such a big time coach out of the water to take this job. 

There are smart young coaches out there who might work cheap to make the leap. Probably none of them are even on the Jets radar.But they like Matt Rhule are smart enough to know this is career graveyard if you don't get the big money. After what happened with Doug Marrone and Rhule, nobody is taking this job on the cheap. 

Again, that all costs money.

Nobody wants to say out loud there is now a lot of debt service on a half of a stadium that will not be hosting 78,000+ fans any time soon.