Poll: Did the Jets Screw Up Darnold Or Was He Just No Good To Begin With?

TuscanyTile2

Poll questions on Sam  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Did the Jets screw up Sam Darnold or was he just no good to begin with?

• The Jets screwed up Sam
    • He wasn't that good to begin with
    • Not sure (injuries/bad coaching make it hard to say)
  2. 2. At this point, is Sam salvageable?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • I voted "He wasn't that good to begin with" so why are you asking me this question?!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/2020 at 12:00 AM

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

USC QB.

People let that Rose Bowl game skew their opinion of Darnold. He was mistake prone in college, it's no shock he's mistake prone in the pros.

That being said - he was put in possibly the worst position a young QB can be asked to flourish in. Bad team, bad ownership with no vision, rotating carousel of coaches and GMs.

Literally every other QB from that draft (including Rosen) went to a better situation than Sam. 

• Upvote 2

Like most things, it's a bit from column A and B. He wasn't a sure fire thing, had plenty of issues with mechanics and turnovers, but the Jets did him no favors to iron out those issues with subpar teammates and terrible coaching.

I don't see him as a starter in this league for long, he will most likely be a backup after the Jets cut him loose.

• Upvote 2

Sam Darnold was never that great or unique a prospect.

Those who coronated him (and still believe he's great just being held back) have confused faith for facts.

He's not as tall, strong or fast as Josh Allen. He's not as elusive or accurate as Lamar. His mechanics were terrible at usc and they are still awful. He had this big windup release.

There's nothing amazing about him as a prospect.

Except for his marketing, agents etc those people are top notch.

As a football player there's nothing to write home about, and there never really was.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sam Darnold was never that great or unique a prospect.

Those who coronated him (and still believe he's great just being held back) have confused faith for facts.

He's not as tall, strong or fast as Josh Allen. He's not as elusive or accurate as Lamar. His mechanics were terrible at usc and they are still awful. He had this big windup release.

There's nothing amazing about him as a prospect.

Except for his marketing, agents etc those people are top notch.

As a football player there's nothing to write home about, and there never really was.

Except if you put Darnold on the Bills and Josh Allen here, we'd most likely be talking about how great the Bills have done building around Darnold and how good he looks - and we'd be saying how much of a bust Josh Allen looks like. Same with Lamar Jackson. 

Darnold may or may not be ultimately be the guy, but he was put in possibly the worst situation ever for a young QB. 

• Upvote 2

Jets effed up Sam to significant degree. Confidence is shot and Gase seems toxic and incapable of breaking through. If Jets lose to Denver get rid of Gase and Loggains.

I would personally make Cooter interim HC, not Williams, but either would be acceptable to hold the fort. I suspect Sam can fight his way back but he has no chance under Gase. He has all the physical attributes, he's young and he's been successful before. His lack of success is an indictment of the Gase and the Jets.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sam was a raw inexperienced prospect that needed to be drafted by a team in a stable situation with structure, talent, leadership and someone that knows how to develop a QB.  He was brought into the exact opposite situation where he immediately needed to be the best player on the team for the Jets to have any success.  The almost deliberate neglect of building around Sam has been criminal but Sam is as soft as soft gets so it was a double doozy of wrong guy on the wrong team in the wrong situation. 

1. The real answer is both; he wasnt that good of a prospect and the Jets just simply being the Jets, failed him.

2. No.  He's as broken as broken gets.  After seeing the post game interview, he's has zero confidence and doubts his own merit of being on the field.  If it werent a short week, I'd bench him immediately.

I agree with this. 

I'll add one more point: no QB is ever a perfect prospect. All of them have to improve, the standard of NFL football is far above anything in college. Darnold hasn't improved in his 3 seasons here.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely the jets screwed him up.  He was improving in the 2nd half of year 1.  Remember that Allen didin't look so hot back then either.  Gase totally ruined Darnold. 100%.  Forcing him to play his terrible offense and giving him no opportunity to do what he does best?  Are you kidding me?  We've been duped.  Gase's stubborness has ruined any chance Darnold had up to now.

Gase has to go immediately.

The only way... and I mean ONLY way we can determine if Sam Darnold can be salvaged is to remove Gase forthwith and give the kid another year under an offese that makes sense for him.  It's up to the ownership of this team to do the sensible thing here.  But because Chris Johnson and Woody are so abysmally stupid and cowards, they will not.

• Upvote 1

Why is that a true statement? Because you believe it?

Josh Allen would have been a better pick. He would play better than Sam. And they didn't even have to trade up for him.

My opinion and yours are both hypothetical. But all things being equal, draft the better athlete. Sam is not that great an athlete. He's OK.

Except if you put Darnold on the Bills and Josh Allen here, we'd most likely be talking about how great the Bills have done building around Darnold and how good he looks - and we'd be saying how much of a bust Josh Allen looks like. Same with Lamar Jackson. 

Darnold may or may not be ultimately be the guy, but he was put in possibly the worst situation ever for a young QB. 

Honestly, the Jets did Sam dirty. Sam Darnold was doomed by poor front office decisions. 

He was drafted by GM who was already on the hot seat. Mac should have been fired along with Bowles. 

The Jets make this decision even worse by bringing in Adam Gase who has been a complete disaster. They brought in a QB who cares more about his own unproven system instead of adapting to his player's strength. We are in year 3, and the Jets have never had a coach that plays to his strengths. Darnold greatest asset is his improvisational skills outside the pocket. Unfortunately, Adam Gase is calling plays like he has Peyton Manning behind center.

Now the Jets have a New GM in Joe Douglas who is not tied to the coach or QB. This is why Douglas appears to be punting on the year and seems to surround him with unproven cheap talent until he can get his own guys.

You can tell Darnold no longer trusts his pocket even when it is clean. He has been scared from years of bad O-line play. Darnold also feels forced to make plays because nobody else on the team can. He doesn't have someone he can trust. Just look at Josh Allen's relationship with Stefon Diggs and how much he trusts him even when covered. Sam Darnold never had anything close to that.

This isn't even hindsight. Go check my history since I joined this board. I said Darnold was set up for failure before the season because the GM was no longer tied to Darnold's success.

The Jets did everything in their power to make Sam feel uncomfortable

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why is that a true statement? Because you believe it?

Josh Allen would have been a better pick. He would play better than Sam. And they didn't even have to trade up for him.

My opinion and yours are both hypothetical. But all things being equal, draft the better athlete. Sam is not that great an athlete. He's OK.

Maybe so, but you can't unring the bell. 

Get rid of Gase, try to salvage Sam and in all probability start looking for the next victim.

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

I agree with this. 

I'll add one more point: no QB is ever a perfect prospect. All of them have to improve, the standard of NFL football is far above anything in college. Darnold hasn't improved in his 3 seasons here.

Fair but some prospects are clearly more mature, experienced and polished.  It’s almost like the Jets drafted Darnold, the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history and expected him to be a finished product ready to be the best player on the field.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Fair but some prospects are clearly more mature, experienced and polished.  It’s almost like the Jets drafted Darnold, the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history and expected him to be a finished product ready to be the best player on the field.  

True. That's why the Jets are, where they are. 

One thing we can admit is that Darnold has shown maturity, at least off the field. Zero controversy. 

i have settled on thinking he'll be a good NFL QB, just not for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Jets screwed him up. He was a flawed prospect for sure but he definitely strikes me as the kind of guy who could have flourished in the right environment. This was the exact wrong environment. I genuinely don't think there are many young quarterbacks who could have been successful on this team the last three years.

As far as if he's salvageable? Not here. I could see him going to a good organization with a good culture and talented pieces and starting fresh and playing pretty well. I have a really hard time seeing him turn into a star QB on the Jets.

The Jets, their coaches and the subpar players around Sam Darnold are the primary reasons for his regression IMO.  This isn't the guy we saw in Year 1.  With that said, if Tannehill was salvageable following Gase and once surrounded by better players and better coaching, then so is Darnold IMO.  I'm just wondering if he'll get that opportunity here with the Jets.

Did gambling screw up Art Schlichter or was he just no good to begin with? Gambling; but whether or not he was ever good enough to begin with will never be answered because he kept getting suspended and released because of it.

Schichtler is in jail. So is Sam, but as a free citizen. Take off Sam's handcuffs and we'll see what the real answer is. The real answer is super star elsewhere.  Duh.