Chuma Edoga

AFJF

49 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not many bright spots yesterday but he was one of 'em.  Re-watching the game and it may be his best all-around game I've seen him play as a pro.  Better than Fant was in weeks 1 and 2 IMO.  Gave up ground on a couple of plays where he was able to drop anchor and hold off the rusher.  Last season there was no stopping once a rusher got him on his heels.

If Becton and Edoga prove to be good starting caliber OTs then at least the Jets have something to build around.  Drafting a C or OG on Day 2 next year is a must IMO.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If Becton and Edoga prove to be good starting caliber OTs then at least the Jets have something to build around.  Drafting a C or OG on Day 2 next year is a must IMO.

If Clarke pans out, which I think he could, then you only need a guard.  McGovern is playing poorly right now which makes no sense.  Hopefully the new coaching staff can get him back to the level he played at before he started playing for Adam Gase.

• Upvote 2

I'm somewhat concerned at how bad Fant looked the first 2 weeks and Douglas decided to give him money this offseason instead of just letting Edoga play RT.  It's very reminiscent of Kalil over Harrison.  For a guy that is supposed to be this great OL dude, not the best look.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm somewhat concerned at how bad Fant looked the first 2 weeks and Douglas decided to give him money this offseason instead of just letting Edoga play RT.  It's very reminiscent of Kalil over Harrison.  For a guy that is supposed to be this great OL dude, not the best look.

He signed Fant to be the a LT/RT swing guy in case they couldn't draft a LT.  Edoga is only capable of playing RT, and Beachum was only capable of playing LT.  

Conklin is failing miserably in Cleveland so it wasn't a terrible decision in hindsight.  There weren't really any other good OT's (especially not ones who could play LT) on the market.  

The big mistake was signing Van Roten instead of going after Graham Glasgow to handle RG duties.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He signed Fant to be the a LT/RT swing guy in case they couldn't draft a LT.  Edoga is only capable of playing RT, and Beachum was only capable of playing LT.  

Conklin is failing miserably in Cleveland so it wasn't a terrible decision in hindsight.  There weren't really any other good OT's (especially not ones who could play LT) on the market.  

The big mistake was signing Van Roten instead of going after Graham Glasgow

Why wouldnt he be able to draft a LT?  Why not bring back Beachum then?  He's better than Fant.  Could you imagine Fant protecting Sam's blindside?  Shell is a starter to btw.   Give him credit for at least acknowledging the existence of an OL but lots of questionable decisions so far. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why wouldnt he be able to draft a LT?  Why not bring back Beachum then?  He's better than Fant.  Could you imagine Fant protecting Sam's blindside?  Shell is a starter to btw.   Give him credit for at least acknowledging the existence of an OL but lots of questionable decisions so far. 

What if all 4 of the top guys had gone in the top 10?  He'd have had to settle for more of a "project" LT, who wouldn't have been able to start Week 1.

Bringing back Beachum could  have always been an option, I suppose, but its not like anyone across the league thought highly of the guy.  He signed very late in the offseason with Arizona, and even there is playing RT, not LT.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What if all 4 of the top guys had gone in the top 10?  He'd have had to settle for more of a "project" LT, who wouldn't have been able to start Week 1.

Bringing back Beachum could  have always been an option, I suppose, but its not like anyone across the league thought highly of the guy.  He signed very late in the offseason with Arizona, and even there is playing RT, not LT.

Austin Jackson made it 5 IMO so that wasnt really realistic with 3 projected QB's going top 10 but ok say it did, the more prudent decision would have been to resign the guy who's proven he could LT for a season and knows the system in Beachum in that situation.  Why bring in a maybe?  Clearly since he did draft a LT, Beachum could play RT.  OL would be better than it is.  

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Not many bright spots yesterday but he was one of 'em.  Re-watching the game and it may be his best all-around game I've seen him play as a pro.  Better than Fant was in weeks 1 and 2 IMO.  Gave up ground on a couple of plays where he was able to drop anchor and hold off the rusher.  Last season there was no stopping once a rusher got him on his heels.

Geez I give u props just for having the strength to re-watch that game. I'm trying to work up to it.

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nobody and I mean nobody wanted Edoga starting this year. That some revisionist history bullsh*t. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Austin Jackson made it 5 IMO so that wasnt really realistic with 3 projected QB's going top 10 but ok say it did, the more prudent decision would have been to resign the guy who's proven he could LT for a season and knows the system in Beachum in that situation.  Why bring in a maybe?  Clearly since he did draft a LT, Beachum could play RT.  OL would be better than it is.  

Sam would be dead if we had to play Austin Jackson. 

Fant’s been fine. Not great just entirely average.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Nobody and I mean nobody wanted Edoga starting this year. That some revisionist history bullsh*t. 

Fair but I didnt expect to downgrade the position either.  JD's job is to know more than us.  Edoga was on the roster on a 3rd RD rookie contract and he went a paid Fant who's early returns, suck.  Again, why not sign Beachum?  Many of us were asking for that to happen, even after signing Fant.

It's less about Edoga and more about the continued mismanagement of the roster. 

Just now, JiF said:

Fair but I didnt expect to downgrade the position either.  JD's job is to know more than us.  Edoga was on the roster on a 3rd RD rookie contract and he went a paid Fant who's early returns, suck.  Again, why not sign Beachum?  Many of us were asking for that to happen, even after signing Fant.

It's less about Edoga and more about the continued mismanagement of the roster. 

Fant has been fine at RT. I haven't even noticed him during the games which is a good thing for an offensive lineman.  And Edoga was awful last year, he was a turnstile. Fant was a severe upgrade to him based on last year's production. Edoga may have gotten better but that doesn't mean the position wasn't upgraded based on 2019.

4 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

If Edoga somehow develops into at least a competent starting RT, it means the team can cut ties with Fant after this year and free up a lot of money. Fant's contract was structured with an out for the Jets after one year.

it also means they didn't need to sign Fant at all 

Fant has been ok.  Ok FA T’s cost a lot of money.  

Per PFF, which I think is pretty good with OL, Fant is at a 61, Shell a 62.3.  Shell will make more money with his roster bonuses.  

Edoga played better than both of them.  Edoga does not have a 16 game body.  Not yet.  Maybe never.  

Edoga was not the reason the Jets lost this week.

• Sympathy 1