Cowherd: Jets have reached out to agents about coaching candidates

Vudu

Dropped some tea . . . ? Kids today, what does that mean? Who mopped up this dropped tea?  I would say Charlie Casserly, because that's all he's good for; only he won't clean up any mess HE made so forget I said it.  

Sorry for the late response but it means letting slip some gossip.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

So presumably one of these agents leaked it to cowherd?

gase is bad but it’s not a good look for the Jets if true 

nobody can make a change now anyway 

bizarre story if true 

Happened last year with the Washington Football Team and they still got their guy in Rivera. 

It is incredibly common.

9 hours ago, pointman said:

Stop being reasonable. The Jets won't ever do the coach to GM, GM to owner system. Hence the perennial loser. 

Don’t the Rams have this setup?

Nothing wrong with the setup - the problem has been poor execution - predominately due to terrible GMs. 

The failures of Tanny, Idzik, and Mac are the primary reason we have been a disaster since 2011. 

However, if Douglas lives up to the hype and is allowed to pick his own coach, we can absolutely succeed.

The Johnson’s have repeatedly gotten the GM hire wrong - let’s hope they got it right for a change 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

I heard from somebody who would know and you can’t make this chit up. Rex will be named interim HC on Saturday afternoon.  They are making back door calls on Brian Schottenheimer for 2021.  Ideal scenario, from their point of view, is to hire Schotty as HC and to run the O.  Rex will be DC, but will be given 100% say on the defense.  Only the Jets...

This isn’t crazy Schotty likes Rex, they are good friends. Remember Rex always talked him up for a HC gig. 

In addition, I always felt that if Schotty instead of Rex was HC and Rex was the DC during their time together we win a SB. 

Rex didn’t understand the offense and what to do with offense to win.  

I also think Schotty is way better at communicating to the players than Gase , is well liked wherever he goes and has simplified his previously too complex offensive scheme. 

Indeed, Schotty wouldn’t be my first choice but he wouldn’t be Adam Gase Part Deux I can tell you that.  

One more important thing they know that Schotty can develop a young QB because they saw that he had Sanchez doing competent work while he was here and Darnold is way more talented than Sanchez ever was...

Finally from CJ and WJ this would be the best move they made for a HC to before they hired Herman Edwards by far!!!

At least Schotty would know what he is doing!

I know this is unpopular but it wouldn’t be anything like we have now!

Madness!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Is there any track record of coordinators leaving to be a HC elsewhere midseason?

In all likelihood they would be looking at dudes doing tv no?

Dont think you are allowed to hire another staff member during the season. If you are at the point where "one more loss" and I fire him, then fire him now, you are just giving yourself an excuse not to act. Nothing would surprise me with the Johnsons. I could see them doing something insanely dumb like firing Gase and hiring his replacement now. Of firing Gase and just promoting Loggains. Or bringing back Rex. 

I don't think I would fire Gase. I would change the reporting structure and make Gase report to JD. I would fire Loggains. I would then tell Gase that he needs to be a head coach, not the OC and require him to give the OC role, free reign and play calling  to JBC. If he refuses you could fire him and not pay him with a reasonable chance of winning a grievance. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

This isn’t crazy Schotty likes Rex, they are good friends. Remember Rex always talked him up for a HC gig. 

In addition, I always felt that if Schotty instead of Rex was HC and Rex was the DC during their time together we win a SB. 

Rex didn’t understand the offense and what to do with offense to win.  

I also think Schotty is way better at communicating to the players than Gase , is well liked wherever he goes and has simplified his previously too complex offensive scheme. 

Indeed, Schotty wouldn’t be my first choice but he wouldn’t be Adam Gase Part Deux I can tell you that.  

One more important thing they know that Schotty can develop a young QB because they saw that he had Sanchez doing competent work while he was here and Darnold is way more talented than Sanchez ever was...

Finally from CJ and WJ this would be the best move they made for a HC to before they hired Herman Edwards by far!!!

At least Schotty would know what he is doing!

I know this is unpopular but it wouldn’t be anything like we have now!

Madness!

It is crazy. Nostalgic. Will never happen. 

8 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

He mentions a top agent for the next head coaching gig. Who could that be. I’m hoping Douglas has his eye on the next coach from his years in the league. It has to be his guy, not another arranged marriage.
Thursday we lose to Denver and the coaching search begins. Peyton Manning screwed the Jets twice. Staying in college after jr year and then with Gase

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It’s Rex’s agent, seeing what the clause is in his broadcast contracts that can free him to come back ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Unless you were promoting Gregg Williams this weekend and there wasn’t already a clause in his contract to pay him for the interim tag

ahh, I didn't think about it this way.  Makes the most logical sense.

Reaching out to one agent - can be construed to reaching out to "agents". 

Negotiating GW's contract does make sense.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

ahh, I didn't think about it this way.  Makes the most logical sense.

Reaching out to one agent - can be construed to reaching out to "agents". 

Negotiating GW's contract does make sense.

In the scenario I presented, Williams could also bring in other coaches who are currently on the street, particularly if we end up firing multiple offensive coaches who are tied to Gase (Loggains, etc) and Jim Bob wants some of his old buddies

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, jetophile said:

Dropped some tea . . . ? Kids today, what does that mean? Who mopped up this dropped tea?  I would say Charlie Casserly, because that's all he's good for; only he won't clean up any mess HE made so forget I said it.  

The expressions is actually "spill the tea" like spill the beans, but T for truth..

Let's hope it is true

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I don't think I would fire Gase. I would change the reporting structure and make Gase report to JD. I would fire Loggains. I would then tell Gase that he needs to be a head coach, not the OC and require him to give the OC role, free reign and play calling  to JBC. If he refuses you could fire him and not pay him with a reasonable chance of winning a grievance. 

Gase is a good head coach being given the impossible task of winning with the worst OL, WR's, and RB's in the NFL, and a quarterback making dumb junior high school mistakes in his third year.

Win or lose on Thursday, the proper move is to do nothing.  Let the roster get healthy in the next 3-4 weeks, let the OL continue to gel, let Darnold get his confidence back with better weapons, and see what this coaching staff looks like managing the team they had back in July, not the injured heap of crap we have right now.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 4

12 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I’m sorry but what bothers me is that Jamal Adams would still be a Jet. I also bet Mosley would be playing if Gase was not the coach. The talent Miami let go because of him we saw the same happen here

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Adams would still be a Jet, we would still be 0-3 and without those 2 extra 1st round picks. 

Gase is a horrible HC, but he got Macc Fired and got Adams off this team. Those are his greatest accomplishments. Now he can go coach Junior College football the rest of his life. 

15 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

If we're looking at college coaches.  Somebody should give Chris Petersen a call. I have no doubt he could be a decent NFL coach.  There is no pure football mind with a no BS mindset attached.  And he left CFB precisely because he got sick of recruiting.  I just can't believe he doesn't want to come back to the game.

Let's think out of the box!  Jeff Monken from Army!!!  We run the ball 90% of the time and wear the sh*t out of the defense.  Now there is a no-nonsense guy who gets more out of his players than can be expected!

10 hours ago, jmat321 said:

I heard from somebody who would know and you can’t make this chit up. Rex will be named interim HC on Saturday afternoon.  They are making back door calls on Brian Schottenheimer for 2021.  Ideal scenario, from their point of view, is to hire Schotty as HC and to run the O.  Rex will be DC, but will be given 100% say on the defense.  Only the Jets...

insane the twilight zone GIF

29 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

The expressions is actually "spill the tea" like spill the beans, but T for truth..

Let's hope it is true

I have since been educated, but I put you on my list of who to reach out to to help me when I don't understand what people are talking about in my own country. You would think I lived in Lithuania or something. You should have seen what happened when people started saying "throwing shade". Throwing shade, what the fck are you talking about, I'm going to bed.

My favorite cousin's kid said not long ago sorry he was flaky. I said flaky, what do you mean flaky. He goes I'm late. I said flaky is flaky and it has nothing to do with being late, WHAT AM I EVEN DOING HERE.

OK, I got to go drop some coffee. In my mouth. I'm tired.

So let's say the clueless Chris Johnson comes out of hiding again to fire Gaze.  That would mean his last three appearances were 1) to say he's been missing from the team for a year or two and decided to fire the guy he just let spend $125mm on free agents and make every draft pick, 2) to announce that Gaze is an offensive genius and 3) to fire Gaze a month later.

ZERO credibility.  NONE.  BUBKAS!  NADA!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

So let's say the clueless Chris Johnson comes out of hiding again to fire Gaze.  That would mean his last three appearances were 1) to say he's been missing from the team for a year or two and decided to fire the guy he just let spend $125mm on free agents and make every draft pick, 2) to announce that Gaze is an offensive genius and 3) to fire Gaze a month later.

ZERO credibility.  NONE.  BUBKAS!  NADA!

Hard to disagree with the first 2, but I look at it this way for a possible termination announcement:

he realized he was wrong, and things are not getting better, and the team is getting worse. He is setting his pride aside and not even waiting until the end of the season. Salvaging what he could, bringing someone in that might be able to show what Sam can/can’t do, and head into 2021 with a clearer focus on what to do. Whether that be to take Trevor or Justin with a top pick, or build around San to succeed. 

I think injuries play a big factor in the mess we are seeing, but at the same time, I still have seen all I need of Gase to know he isn’t the coach for the future. Best to cut ties and try again. Hoping Eric Bieniemy gets the job unless Gregg has it. 

seeing him in the face of his players last night even with the lead shows he wants better, even when you have one of the deadliest offenses in the league. Complacency is nonexistent.  We need that. 

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase is a good head coach being given the impossible task of winning with the worst OL, WR's, and RB's in the NFL, and a quarterback making dumb junior high school mistakes in his third year.

Win or lose on Thursday, the proper move is to do nothing.  Let the roster get healthy in the next 3-4 weeks, let the OL continue to gel, let Darnold get his confidence back with better weapons, and see what this coaching staff looks like managing the team they had back in July, not the injured heap of crap we have right now.

SAR I

I actually agree with most of what you're saying. I want to see what happens Thursday and then the 2nd qtr of the season if we get most of the players back that we're expecting.

However, if there's any truth to the speculation that he's "lost the locker room" or is not acting like a head coach and communicating with players and staff, make the change now. If he is (as I suspect), a film room/white board wannabe "savant" who can't articulate and teach the finer points of what he draws up, then he's not a head coach. Now's not the time for him to be hiding in his bunker.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Dont think you are allowed to hire another staff member during the season. If you are at the point where "one more loss" and I fire him, then fire him now, you are just giving yourself an excuse not to act. Nothing would surprise me with the Johnsons. I could see them doing something insanely dumb like firing Gase and hiring his replacement now. Of firing Gase and just promoting Loggains. Or bringing back Rex. 

Agreed. Knowing the Johnson's though I immediately thought the agent talk probably involved them reaching out to Coach Cowher AGAIN. 

I think what you propose would give the right balance between making Douglas more accountable for the near term, and Gase letting go of the offense would be a humbling experience... I'd rather he be gone altogether, but that would work and be pragmatic.

18 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Hard to disagree with the first 2, but I look at it this way for a possible termination announcement:

he realized he was wrong, and things are not getting better, and the team is getting worse. He is setting his pride aside and not even waiting until the end of the season. Salvaging what he could, bringing someone in that might be able to show what Sam can/can’t do, and head into 2021 with a clearer focus on what to do. Whether that be to take Trevor or Justin with a top pick, or build around San to succeed. 

I think injuries play a big factor in the mess we are seeing, but at the same time, I still have seen all I need of Gase to know he isn’t the coach for the future. Best to cut ties and try again. Hoping Eric Bieniemy gets the job unless Gregg has it. 

seeing him in the face of his players last night even with the lead shows he wants better, even when you have one of the deadliest offenses in the league. Complacency is nonexistent.  We need that. 

I'm not suggesting for a moment that it would be the wrong decision.  However, if one looks at the progression of idiotic statements by Chris Johnson, how could anyone have any confidence in ownership.  UNLESS he has really realized his mistakes and can put his ego aside and lets Douglas hire the new coach (albeit with a courtesy interview by Johnson) and have him report to Douglas.

That would be the only statement that could save Johnson's integrity.

18 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I actually agree with most of what you're saying. I want to see what happens Thursday and then the 2nd qtr of the season if we get most of the players back that we're expecting.

Thank you.  I suspected there were other rational Jets fans here.  We need to see more of us.

19 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

However, if there's any truth to the speculation that he's "lost the locker room" or is not acting like a head coach and communicating with players and staff, make the change now.

The media has been out to kill Gase from day one.  Last year, after 1-7, the locker room did not quit.  Last year, after 6-2, not a single coordinator, position coach, or offensive player left the team.  Not a peep of discontent.  Last week in Indy, I saw a bunch of XFL caliber youngsters playing as hard as they could with their limited abilities. 

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that Gase has communication problems with players or has lost any locker room.  What I have seen is a selfish clickbait media and a bunch of SOJF's being wound-up by them.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thank you.  I suspected there were other rational Jets fans here.  We need to see more of us.

The media has been out to kill Gase from day one.  Last year, after 1-7, the locker room did not quit.  Last year, after 6-2, not a single coordinator, position coach, or offensive player left the team.  Not a peep of discontent.  Last week in Indy, I saw a bunch of XFL caliber youngsters playing as hard as they could with their limited abilities. 

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that Gase has communication problems with players or has lost any locker room.  What I have seen is a selfish clickbait media and a bunch of SOJF's being wound-up by them.

SAR I

Since SORE I believes that if we don't extend Gaze we will lose him in February (that statement alone makes no sense) perhaps we should just trade Gaze now for picks!  I would settle for three first round and one third round pick!  Gotta think the Chiefs, Patriots, Bills and Niners would be interested!

Thoughts?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

True points above (wow, I agree twice in 1 day) but to keep things level, the most important loss of the off-season was an offensive player (Robbie). You can argue the reason why (low ball offer, we didn't want him), but I don't think he ever came out publicly and said he wanted to be back.

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Don’t the Rams have this setup?

Nothing wrong with the setup - the problem has been poor execution - predominately due to terrible GMs. 

The failures of Tanny, Idzik, and Mac are the primary reason we have been a disaster since 2011. 

However, if Douglas lives up to the hype and is allowed to pick his own coach, we can absolutely succeed.

The Johnson’s have repeatedly gotten the GM hire wrong - let’s hope they got it right for a change 

The setup is bad when the ownership is incompetent. Forget football, if you had an owner who even knew how to run an organization successfully, this setup would be better. 

14 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

He mentions a top agent for the next head coaching gig. Who could that be. I’m hoping Douglas has his eye on the next coach from his years in the league. It has to be his guy, not another arranged marriage.
Thursday we lose to Denver and the coaching search begins. Peyton Manning screwed the Jets twice. Staying in college after jr year and then with Gase

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile 

True that

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Let's think out of the box!  Jeff Monken from Army!!!  We run the ball 90% of the time and wear the sh*t out of the defense.  Now there is a no-nonsense guy who gets more out of his players than can be expected!

F that!  I like having a competative Army-Navy matcb up every year.  It's honestly maybe the best CFB game of the year.

• Sympathy 1