Sign in to follow this  
Warfish

A Tale of Two QB's

This young QB just got benched, possibly for good:

QB #1 - 44 Starts, 26-18 Record, 862 for 1,366 (63.1%), 9,144 Passing Yards, 54 TD's, 32 INT's, 85.9 QB Rate, Sacked 100 times.

This young QB remains a Starter:

QB #2 - 29 Starts, 11-18 Record, 571 for 951 (60.0%), 6,451 Passing Yards, 39 TD's, 32 INT's, 80.0 QB Rate, Sacked 69 Times.

In 14 less games, QB #2 has already lost the same amount of games, and thrown the same amount of INT's, while being worse in almost every way otherwise.

But QB not only won't get benched now, he'll likely play all of this year and even all of next year, no matter what.

:-k 

• Sad 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If we had Nick Foles and an even halfway chance to be competitive this year Darnold would probably be benched.

We don’t. And we don’t. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

If we had Nick Foles and an even halfway chance to be competitive this year Darnold would probably be benched.

No he wouldn't.

Just now, Warfish said:

No he wouldn't.

I can make the case that he would if we had a competitive team and it was just Darnold playing terribly.  But we don't so mute point.  

Darnold isn't going to be here next year if he doesn't have a major turnaround. 

• Upvote 3

Trubisky > Darnold.  But there's no guarantee Darnold avoids getting benched, and he most certainly won't be the QB in 2021.  If that's any consolation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

He’s broken not to mention virtually the entire rest of the Jet team plays like they don’t give sh*t.  Everything needs to be blown up.

No I don’t think Darnold will be a Jet next year.

Just now, slimjasi said:

This is why you have to get Gase out of here as soon as possible to see Darnold work with another playcaller.  Limited time to evaluate.  

• Upvote 1

Tommie Agee went 0-10 in one game, part of an 0-34 streak in 1968. If the Mets hadn't stuck with him the 1969 miracle would never have happened.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

This is why you have to get Gase out of here as soon as possible to see Darnold work with another playcaller.  Limited time to evaluate.  

He did. Bates. So you want him to work with a 3rd playcaller. 

I'd say you keep Darnold next year, don't pick up his option and draft your QB of the future and let him beat out Darnold which shouldn't be difficult for Lawrence to do. 

I mean, it's about time we benched Darnold and see what this Flacco kid has in 'em. Lord knows he's waited long enough for a shot.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He did. Bates. So you want him to work with a 3rd playcaller. 

I'd say you keep Darnold next year, don't pick up his option and draft your QB of the future and let him beat out Darnold which shouldn't be difficult for Lawrence to do. 

Well now you're talking about losing Darnold to free agency and getting nothing back for him.  

Unless you're suggesting we try to trade Darnold at the 2021 trade deadline?

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well now you're talking about losing Darnold to free agency and getting nothing back for him.  

Unless you're suggesting we try to trade Darnold at the 2021 trade deadline?

If we end up with a draft pick high enough to put us in a spot to draft a top QB prospect what do you realistically think we could even get for Darnold? Assuming he doesn't turn it around this year? Maybe a 5th? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If we end up with a draft pick high enough to put us in a spot to draft a top QB prospect what do you realistically think we could even get for Darnold? Assuming he doesn't turn it around this year? Maybe a 5th? 

Does it matter?  Better something than nothing.

Some team out there will think they can "fix" Darnold.  I imagine we could get a 4th rounder.

• Upvote 3

Darnold has posted worse stats than Mariota, Bortles, Trubisky, and countless other busts. His production has been abysmal regardless of the state of the team.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some team out there will think they can "fix" Darnold.  I imagine we could get a 4th rounder.

no way he gets a 4th. Some team might take a flyer on day 3 pick. 

Is there catharsis in opening up these redundant Darnold threads? There is like six of them running...

Can we get a merge, Mods? 

1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

We should also give more time to evaluate COVID-19 who knows maybe it’ll turn itself around 

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Darnold has posted worse stats than Mariota, Bortles, Trubisky, and countless other busts. His production has been abysmal regardless of the state of the team.

Tannehillwould be muchbetterin this offense thanSam...  who just misses and doesnt throw and thorws late...

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

Tannehillwould be muchbetterin this offense thanSam...  who just misses and doesnt throw and thorws late...

I called for it. You can predict our fellow fans’ response

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Tommie Agee went 0-10 in one game, part of an 0-34 streak in 1968. If the Mets hadn't stuck with him the 1969 miracle would never have happened.

You got the upvote for Tommie!

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Now do

hors d'oeuvre
/ôr ˈdərv/

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We don’t. And we don’t. 

Exactly. Darnold stinks, but he’s still probably better than a washed up Joe Flacco coming off a neck injury (bar is pretty low).

marshmallowwrapped in pussy cotton....the Darnold

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I try to Alex Smith him and develop the high pick behind him. Andy Reid didn't start Mahomes his first year. Lamar Jackson was stuck on the bench for a bit.

I think Darnold can be salvaged to a game high end game manager level with a better coach. Not something you build a team around, but it allows you to build up a team for your true FQB. 

It's my hybrid plan that I think would get an @Beerfish stamp of approval. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

no way he gets a 4th. Some team might take a flyer on day 3 pick. 

Well, a 4th rounder IS a day 3 pick.  :)