Patrick Mahomes/Darnold Comparison

Smashmouth

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we had drafted Mahomes, instead of Darnold, we would be sitting in pretty much the same position today. That's not suggesting Darnold is anywhere near as good as Mahomes, it's just an indictment on the jets ability to develop and surround a QB with the right coaches/players to succeed. 

That may be somewhat true but Im not trying to make this a comparison of the QB;s successes its a comparasion of the QB's mechanics which leads to success. This points out the difference between throwing a ball well and throwing it just plain bad. I saw this in college with Darnold and said as much because his entire timing is also off I mean sometimes the guy steps into a pass before his arm starts to come forward and that's really wacked out.

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we had drafted Mahomes, instead of Darnold, we would be sitting in pretty much the same position today. That's not suggesting Darnold is anywhere near as good as Mahomes, it's just an indictment on the jets ability to develop and surround a QB with the right coaches/players to succeed. 

Based on what ?

Mahommes was a better prospect coming out, 3 yr starter vs 2 and a 50% higher qbase projection

Hes more talented, possessing a stronger more accurate arm and is faster and more agile

Mahommes would be a good player here 

• Upvote 2

This is a hypothetical and also a cop out for Sam

Contra case Sam sux, gase swallows start James Morgan and this team will look vastly improved

There's only so much we can blame on the system. Sam was supposed to be a savior. That's why he went higher than Mahomes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Over the past few weeks we have had this conversation about Darnold and his mechanics and to me its a no brainer that Darnolds mechanics are not just bad they are terrible. 

I use Patrick Mahomes to bring this point home, not to compare the QB's, but to show why good mechanics are important to an NFL QB. If you watched the game last night you saw Mahomes on medium to long throws ALWAYS pivot his hips and get into correct throwing motion then plant his foot and let it rip. This is something that happens very quick but the key is you see Mahomes do it in the face of a rush and while he's backing up. Two times last night on TD passes Mahomes was running away from the rush yet still pivoted, planted his back foot and zipped the ball where it needed to go. I am 100 % sure if that was Darnold none of those things would have happened as a matter of fact I'm positive of it because he never does it. Darnold rarely  pivots to get into throwing motion and he never plants his back foot on regular throws and he never ever does it  with pressure. Last night Mahomes actually did it with a rusher coming at him within a few feet of him knowing he was going to take a hit, this isn't easy but its proper mechanics and Mahomes does it now without even thinking, this is why Mahomes does not underthrow balls and its why Darnold consistently under throws balls. 

If you do the simple task of comparing Mahomes mechanics in game situations like I mentioned above you will clearly see Darnold plays scared of the rush and Mahomes plays right in the face of it, fearless. No matter what's in Mahomes face he's stepping into his throw. If you play the QB position scared in the NFL that never goes away, its not learned its part of your make up. 

Now what makes Mahomes over the top great is actually his short passing game which is nothing short of amazing. The guy can throw from any angle, any position, and even "no look it" when needed, that's just a crazy gift we may have never seen at the position ever. The key is you don't need perfect mechanics for short throws so you can improvise and Mahomes is easily the greatest ever at doing this. So the next time you watch Mahomes or even if you watch tapes of him watch how he sets before he throws then watch Sam Darnold and you will see the glaring difference between correct mechanics and poor mechanics.

you were more eloquent than i have been.am too damned lazy to lay it all out for the JN visually impaired.

and when you say plant back leg, you mean drive with the back leg TOWARD target... n'est-ce pas?

bold- "you cant coach-up the size of the fight in the dog"

59 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

If Darnold wasn't the 3rd overall pick the Jets traded so much for,  he would not still be the Jets starter. He is a nice kid,, but he's not a quarterback you can consistently win with.

JN is just so emotionally invested, so desperate that we picked right for once...   that they are in denial...

it's sad,

mahomes is the perfect storm for opponents-  all world talent, a proven coach with a long history in the league and an offensive minded one and he has elite playmakers all around

guys like hardmen watkins robinson williams are minor role players for them for us they would be instant starters

I believe sam can be a good but not elite qb

I believe if you put sam on the chiefs he would look MUCH better-not mahomes good but a functional qb that a team can win with

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Based on what ?

Mahommes was a better prospect coming out, 3 yr starter vs 2 and a 50% higher qbase projection

Hes more talented, possessing a stronger more accurate arm and is faster and more agile

Mahommes would be a good player here 

Hindsight is 20-20. Darnold was ranked as the better prospect between them both. Mahomes was raw coming out of college. People forget that. 

Mahomes would not be the same player if he was drafted here. 

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Hindsight is 20-20. Darnold was ranked as the better prospect between them both. Mahomes was raw coming out of college. People forget that. 

not FO Qbase.

had Sam as higher BUST potential....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Over the past few weeks we have had this conversation about Darnold and his mechanics and to me its a no brainer that Darnolds mechanics are not just bad they are terrible. 

I use Patrick Mahomes to bring this point home, not to compare the QB's, but to show why good mechanics are important to an NFL QB. If you watched the game last night you saw Mahomes on medium to long throws ALWAYS pivot his hips and get into correct throwing motion then plant his foot and let it rip. This is something that happens very quick but the key is you see Mahomes do it in the face of a rush and while he's backing up. Two times last night on TD passes Mahomes was running away from the rush yet still pivoted, planted his back foot and zipped the ball where it needed to go. I am 100 % sure if that was Darnold none of those things would have happened as a matter of fact I'm positive of it because he never does it. Darnold rarely  pivots to get into throwing motion and he never plants his back foot on regular throws and he never ever does it  with pressure. Last night Mahomes actually did it with a rusher coming at him within a few feet of him knowing he was going to take a hit, this isn't easy but its proper mechanics and Mahomes does it now without even thinking, this is why Mahomes does not underthrow balls and its why Darnold consistently under throws balls. 

If you do the simple task of comparing Mahomes mechanics in game situations like I mentioned above you will clearly see Darnold plays scared of the rush and Mahomes plays right in the face of it, fearless. No matter what's in Mahomes face he's stepping into his throw. If you play the QB position scared in the NFL that never goes away, its not learned its part of your make up. 

Now what makes Mahomes over the top great is actually his short passing game which is nothing short of amazing. The guy can throw from any angle, any position, and even "no look it" when needed, that's just a crazy gift we may have never seen at the position ever. The key is you don't need perfect mechanics for short throws so you can improvise and Mahomes is easily the greatest ever at doing this. So the next time you watch Mahomes or even if you watch tapes of him watch how he sets before he throws then watch Sam Darnold and you will see the glaring difference between correct mechanics and poor mechanics.

Yeah but remember I told y’all Mahomes is god.  You can’t compare any mortal to Mahomes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Mahomes isnt the "product" of Reid's system...   he's the conductor of the band, he's Louis ******* armstrong!!! 

People love to forget that Andy Reid liked Mahomes so much that he signed on to trade up for him, then dumped Alex Smith despite him coming off a career year. 

At the time, some people called it dumb to get rid of the "sure thing" in Smith in favor of the risky air raid system QB.  In reality, Reid saw something special in the kid. 

Could he have guessed he'd be throwing 50 TDs, winning an MVP and a Super Bowl en route to a potential GOAT path?  Probably not.  But he saw enough to say "this is our guy".  That carries a lot of weight given how much of an offense/QB guru Reid has been throughout his career.

If Darnold had been drafted by KC, Reid would have been giving him the Alex Smith treatment within 2 seasons in the hopes of finding someone better.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

More like Andy Reid's foresight was exceptional when he targeted Mahomes.  And Darnold was most certainly NOT the level of prospect that Mahomes was.  People just had doubts that an air raid QB could have success; those who actually watched him and ignored the noise didn't have many doubts.  There were plenty of scouts and even JN posters here (like @Lupz27) who were pounding the table for Mahomes.  

Mahomes would have been an elite QB anywhere.  He's the Michael Jordan of the sport and will be for some time.  When you watch him play its like he's playing a different sport entirely.  That kind of special can't be restrained by bad circumstances. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Andy Reid is n offensive genius. Mahomes is a perfect product of that system.

Look at how good Alex Smith was playing his last year in KC.

Look at the weapons Andy surrounded Mahomes with.

Mahomet is great.  He was also put in a great position to succeed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Don't forget who his dad is. He has probably had perfect mechanics since he's been about 6.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Qbase ranked Mahommes 50% higher. In fact Darnold was one of the worst projected 1st QBs the last 4 drafts

• Upvote 2

The whole idea behind a franchise QB is to make the team great.  Period. See Mahomes and Brady and Manning and any other... if you need a pretty good team around them for them to flourish then guess what?  He is not the franchise QB.  Other than Moss who did Brady ever have? When you start naming supposed good receivers.. were they good before Brady.. or did Brady make them great?? You are either a lion or a sheep.. the sheep needs others to make them better.. the lion makes everyone better.  Look at Jamal Adams.. lion.. he made the D better.. he didnt have to rely on every single player on D to be a star.  If Darnold needs that much around him.. guess what??? you know the answer.

Side bar: Andrew Luck was known for one thing.. getting pummeled because he had no offensive line... yet somehow he managed to become a franchise QB.  Darnold is not it.  Sorry.

• Upvote 1