The silence is deafening

AFJF

31 minutes ago, slats said:

A win would only be a stay of execution, and potentially a costly one. As @jetstream23 said above, this will be one of the better times of year to fire the coach with the extra couple days for the interim coach to prepare the team for the following week. 

With these reports all over the place now, it'll be interesting to see if the players come to play at all, or simply lie down. 

You know it’s embarrassingly bad when you are playing against a second or third string quarterback, and Vegas still makes you a three point underdog… And you’re playing at home!

that’s bulletin board material. If there’s any pride on this team, they show up to play Thursday night.

I want Gase out yesterday...but I feel like we’ll eek out a win (even though that does not merit any additional time staying) and Gase will stay longer. Then J&J won’t fire him until the bye because they’re stupid and they think that that matters in some capacity.

Thursday might be the only game we have a chance of winning all season, with the addition of maybe one fluke game down the road. So we’ll win, barely...won’t look good at all...and Gase on until the bye, which we’ll still be a 1 win team at that point.

Or our team can finally make us happy by losing Thursday. Our corners suck, our pass rush is atrocious (15 years running), Becton might be out...there’s still a chance we lose.

I don’t buy the radio silence part though. Sure, agents have a lot to gain by leaking this, but i find it difficult to believe an agent wouldn’t leak names of potential candidates to boost their client’s rep. The absence of such leaves a lingering suspicion the Jets are just leaking this to soften the pr hit for firing him. The Jets always do this sort of thing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

There is definitely something afoot I think they may be trying to get him before Michigan’s first game October 24. People forget that harbaugh is listed by Las Vegas as third most likely coach to get fired in Big Ten this year. he is on the hot seat because of all the Ohio State losses. it was also a rumor last year that he wanted back in the NFL. this is the perfect opportunity for him to get out before he gets fired

Can we use our huge cap surplus to pay his buyout?? It will be massive.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

He's gone with a loss for sure. The situation is untenable. 

Johnsons brain is different. If we somehow get blown out again on Thursday MAYBE Gase gets fired. But if we win Gase likely gets the rest of the year regardless of results because of the one game and "showing improvement" He's building an excuse for inaction.

16 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think this week is an ideal time to fire the creep not only because it gives the new coach 10 days to prepare for the next game AND they get back the Smiths, Zuniga and likely Crowder.

The new coach is likely an interim coach so OK but big deal

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

A few years ago there were rumors swirling that the Jets were making calls to Jim Harbaugh as a potential replacement for Todd Bowles.  Almost immediately, the Jets and Christopher Johnson released a statement to deny those rumors.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812254-report-jets-plan-to-make-a-run-at-jim-harbaugh-after-firing-todd-bowles

Now with Adam Gase being rumored by two outlets (Mort and Cowherd) to be heading in to what could be his last game, it's been radio silence from the organization.

It's possible they say something publicly between now and kickoff, but they sure are taking their time about it if that's the case.

Sorry to kill this little dream:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/29/jets-deny-report-that-christopher-johnson-has-reached-out-to-coaching-agents/

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Johnsons brain is different. If we somehow get blown out again on Thursday MAYBE Gase gets fired. But if we win Gase likely gets the rest of the year regardless of results because of the one game and "showing improvement" He's building an excuse for inaction.

Here is why I think he is already fired. you don’t do a two week evaluation that everybody knows about and then get blown out looking horrible versus colts. even a victory over a horrible Denver team has neutered the coach. if the owners say “OK he was so bad we had to evaluate him after only three games into the season but now he’s OK” is just not believable that it would be done . I think he lost his job when Douglas demanded the owners fire him , then they bargained and said “well let’s evaluate for 2 weeks”, when they gave him two weeks I think the colts horror show was enough for them to politically fire him. even if they beat Denver they just say we took the two weeks as one entity and it wasn’t sufficient.  I truly think he’s already fired and the Jets are either going to hire Harbaugh on Friday (unliked),  and if they don’t do that they will name Gregg Williams interim coach and hire Greg Roman offensive coordinator of the Ravens in January (Most likely scenario as Douglas goes back to his Raven roots which actually is also for harbaugh as Douglas is close to them via the raven connection)

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The only NFL coach with worse results than Adam Gase is Gregg Williams.  

SAR I

That's ok; he would only be a placeholder until the off season. But with Cooter maybe we can see if Darnold has any hope. Then we will know what to do next draft.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

That is probably true. from what I’ve heard the two candidates are Harbaugh and Greg Roman both of those can be talked to via Douglas friendship with John Harbaugh of the Ravens  and exGM and mentor Ozzie Newsome to gauge interest?‍♂️

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think there is a strong possibility that when JD insisted on a 6 year contract because he knew this was a complete tear-down and rebuild job, Chris "the moron" Johnson may have given Gase a 2 year guarantee. I bet Gase won't be gone until after the 2021 season.

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm right.

2 minutes ago, viffer said:

That's ok; he would only be a placeholder until the off season. But with Cooter maybe we can see if Darnold has any hope. Then we will know what to do next draft.

Cooter coaches the running backs.  They are worse than our defense.  I think you're going to have to dig down to the building supplies director before you find someone better at his job than Adam Gase is at his in Florham Park.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Here is why I think he is already fired. you don’t do a two week evaluation that everybody knows about and then get blown out looking horrible versus colts. even a victory over a horrible Denver team has neutered the coach. if the owners say “OK he was so bad we had to evaluate him after only three games into the season but now he’s OK” is just not believable that it would be done . I think he lost his job when Douglas demanded the owners fire him , then they bargained and said “well let’s evaluate for 2 weeks”, when they gave him two weeks I think the colts horror show was enough for them to politically fire him. even if they beat Denver they just say we took the two weeks as one entity and it wasn’t sufficient.  I truly think he’s already fired and the Jets are either going to hire Harbaugh on Friday (unliked),  and if they don’t do that they will name Gregg Williams interim coach and hire Greg Roman offensive coordinator of the Ravens in January (Most likely scenario as Douglas goes back to his Raven roots which actually is also for harbaugh as Douglas is close to them via the raven connection)

As much as I would love Harbaugh, there is no scenario where we hire a brand new coach in season, no matter who the candidates are. Your second scenario is exactly what will happen during the seaosn. 

Gregg Williams has both head coaching experience AND interim head coaching experience already, which is somewhat unique unto itself. 

That's how we ride the season out. Not many candidates are going to jump at the Jets until they see what other offers pop up on Black Monday. 

Just now, viffer said:

I think there is a strong possibility that when JD insisted on a 6 year contract because he knew this was a complete tear-down and rebuild job, Chris "the moron" Johnson may have given Gase a 2 year guarantee. I bet Gase won't be gone until after the 2021 season.

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm right.

That is absolutely true based on the way Douglas has been rebuilding the team he has behind 2021 I think Gase/Douglas friendship overblown and he had a feeling based on when he saw in  Miami that he was going to have to get a new coach in year three.  that’s why he demanded six years you are right. he wanted four years like most new GMs get starting with HIS coach. I hear Greg Roman is the guy he had on Top of his list for awhile

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

let me ask you something; when has anything worked out the way you wanted it to with the Jets? 

What we all want - Gase out the door Friday morning

What's likely - CJ backing Gase for the season on friday morning after we beat DEN 9-3

Win or lose Thursday, if we still see the same crap play Gase should be fired/replaced after he gets home from the game so the interim HC gets a mini-bye to prepare to play the next game. This was like when Bowles got killed at home to the Bills but didn't get fired till the end of the year, but his fate was decided in that game. I would say Gase should have had his fate already decided by 2 things, 1) the completely uncompetitive and unprepared showing or lack there of in these 1st 3 games, and 2) the really extreme fact that with each passing week, practice, etc. he is ruining Darnold more and more to where the more damage done the less chance this kid can be turned around.

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And boom goes the dynamite.

Adam Gase is a good head coach.  He may be a bad offensive coordinator.  So let's get him a new one.

SAR I

And you call yourself a Jets fan? You're a disgrace to the rest of us... which is the lowest of bars btw. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not really "afraid" of what happens if we win. Gase is clearly gone in 2021. I'm not sure firing him now vs. later in the season makes that much of a difference.

Agreed.  This whole "he has to win Thursday to save his job" thing really means he's on such thin ice that it's almost inconceivable he'll be brought back next year anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And you call yourself a Jets fan? You're a disgrace to the rest of us... which is the lowest of bars btw. 

I'm not the disgrace, friend.

Those who turn a blind eye to an owner who has clearly stated that we are patiently rebuilding, turn a blind eye to a roster that's been neglected for a decade, and turn a blind eye to the most injuries in the NFL are the disgrace.  You act like you're entitled to 10 wins for reasons no one can comprehend, you predict 5 wins and weep when we track to that, you have made a cottage industry out of complaining and getting people fired and replaced with those who are no better, and you hide in the weeds waiting for things to go wrong and then appear in all your viscous glory the moment things go wrong.

You are the problem.  Try being the solution.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The only NFL coach with worse results than Adam Gase is Gregg Williams.  

SAR I

Lets use SAR logic on this one.  Gregg Williams took over cleveland last year the last half of the year and went 5-3.

FIVE and THREE!  Second half of the year!  Ignore all that went on before that!

Sar logic

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase is a good head coach.  He may be a bad offensive coordinator.  So let's get him a new one.

SAR I

Far be it from me to offer up pointers on your troll game, but it works better if you sprinkle in absurd takes rather than beat everyone over the head with them.  When you do the latter it becomes easier to dismiss your posts as satire.

• Sympathy 1

In my opinion it does. The "quarterback whisperer" has done nothing but slow any progress in Sam. If I was Gase this week I'd be going into that game with the mindset that I was going to unleash the QB and I'd be throwing bombs all day. F*** it, if we lose im gone, if Sam makes a ton of brilliant throws, I might be saved. The other question is who the hell is he going to throw the bombs to?

I'm not really "afraid" of what happens if we win. Gase is clearly gone in 2021. I'm not sure firing him now vs. later in the season makes that much of a difference.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JetNation.com mobile app

29 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

In my opinion it does. The "quarterback whisperer" has done nothing but slow any progress in Sam. If I was Gase this week I'd be going into that game with the mindset that I was going to unleash the QB and I'd be throwing bombs all day. F*** it, if we lose im gone, if Sam makes a ton of brilliant throws, I might be saved. The other question is who the hell is he going to throw the bombs to?

Sent from my SM-G973U using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm willing to bet Gase would argue (if he were being honest/frank, arguing for his job) that's what he did on Sunday. He was uber conservative Weeks 1 and 2. When his job was threatened he "opened it up" and Darnold threw 3 picks including 2 pick sixes.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Gase was hired here to do one thing: develop Sam Darnold. This year, we're witnessing Darnold regressing badly. Loggains is his hand-picked guy, been together on Chicago, Miami, and the Jets. If Loggains is responsible for this mess, Gase should've been rid of him a long time ago - before he was hired here! But certainly immediately after the season last year. Now it's too late. 

I fully understand the injury issues and the lack of an offseason issues, but Gase isn't under fire right now because the team is 0-3, he's under fire because they're simply not competitive. They're 2.5 point underdogs, at home, to another 0-3 team on its third string QB on Thursday night. Not many "good coaches," find themselves in that sort of situation. 

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s super low class to recruit for a job currently occupied 

Are they recruiting?

Once Gase is fired, he'll be replaced with an interim head coach which by definition will mean that the Jets still have a vacancy at the position and can interview anyone they like. If firing Gase at the end of the season is already a done deal, the sooner they get it done the sooner they can get to work to fixing it. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

A few years ago there were rumors swirling that the Jets were making calls to Jim Harbaugh as a potential replacement for Todd Bowles.  Almost immediately, the Jets and Christopher Johnson released a statement to deny those rumors.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812254-report-jets-plan-to-make-a-run-at-jim-harbaugh-after-firing-todd-bowles

Now with Adam Gase being rumored by two outlets (Mort and Cowherd) to be heading in to what could be his last game, it's been radio silence from the organization.

It's possible they say something publicly between now and kickoff, but they sure are taking their time about it if that's the case.

This report was from late December before the final game of the season.

The idea that the Jets are going to hire a brand new coach in week 4-5 of an NFL season is stupid.

They may fire him - but their not "reaching out" right now to anyone to come in and replace Gase right away.

If Gase goes on Friday morning, you're looking at Greg Williams as HC with Cooter or Jefferson as the OC.