Would you draft a QB other than Lawrence?

Would you draft a QB other than Lawrence?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you draft a QB other than Lawrence?

• I don't want to draft a QB no matter what. Sam deserves more time with a real coach and real WRs
    • If we have the opportunity to draft Lawrence it's a no brainer, but only for Lawrence.
    • I think Sam's tenure here is coming to an end. I'd strongly consider Justin Fields or Trey Lance.
    • I'm not spending a first rounder on a QB but would consider drafting one in the first three rounds.

Lawrence, Fields, Lance, or other.  I don't know enough to say which prospect is best or which ones we should  be considering in Rd 1.  I just know we 100 % should be taking the one we like best wherever we pick, even if that ends up being the Seattle pick. 

Darnold is not the guy and we need to find him, whoever that might be.  

• Upvote 1

I would take lawrence but ONLY if we failed to trade the pick for a huge bounty of picks.

With our seattle deal and massive haul for he #1 overall pick the team would be totally built in two years and then we can add the next QB.

Adding another QB right now with what we have an how much has to be added will be another recipe for disaster.

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'd rather James Morgan show up and make the Jets not need to go qb top 5 again

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Tell me about this guy. All I know is he beat Miami last year.What kind of offense did he play in? How is his arm strength compared to Sam's? His intelligence, mobility etc. Where was he rated compared to his class? I ask because is it possible that JD honestly feels he is his QB of the future?

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would take lawrence but ONLY if we failed to trade the pick for a huge bounty of picks.

With our seattle deal and massive haul for he #1 overall pick the team would be totally built in two years and then we can add the next QB.

Adding another QB right now with what we have an how much has to be added will be another recipe for disaster.

Very interesting answer and I'm kind of inclined to agree with you on this.  Obviously it would take a HUGE haul to trade the right to draft Trevor.  And the way Joe D runs the draft, he could do a bunch of trade-downs to get us a ridiculous amount of quality picks (and hopefully players).

Part of the question will be, though, if we're in a position to draft Trevor, will Sam's confidence be completely shot?  That plus "if Trevor really is the next Luck, do you really trade a chance to add a generational QB like that?"  Of course, Luck never won anything with Indy (almost certainly due to them not protecting him).   

• Upvote 1

I would only go for Lawrence. He seems like an absolute lock based on everything I've read on him.

IMO this franchise has no time for projects and development at the QB position. We're going on 10 years of non-competitive football with a little Fitzmagic sprinkled in the middle. I'd almost prefer we go make a big run at Dak and build a very strong team around him with our picks / cap room as opposed to taking a non-sure thing at QB.

No more wait and see.... patience ran thin a while ago

• Post of the Week 1

Unfortunately, I just don't think Darnold having big success here is likely, but it still depends on how he responds over these last 13 weeks. 

If Darnold continues to play as poorly as he has through the first 3 weeks, this is a no brainer - you take your best shot at replacing him in April. Ideally, this would involve drafting Lawrence, but Fields and Lance are absolutely on the table. 

If Darnold picks it up, we need to see how much better he gets and how many games we win. There is a lot of gray area. Now, because I am pretty down on Darnold right now, I am currently thinking that we would need to see a major, major turnaround to feel comfortable committing to him past this season.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, freestater said:

if we're in position to take Lawrence, you take him. 

I think the vast majority of us would take Lawrence if we had the opportunity to. The more interesting question is what do we do if we are picking somewhere in the upper middle of the first round and Darnold was better down the stretch?  How much better would Darnold have to be to convince you not to look to replace him? 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think the vast majority of us would take Lawrence if he have the opportunity to. The more interesting question is what do we do if we are picking somewhere in the upper middle of the first round and Darnold was better down the stretch?  How much better would Darnold have to be to convince you not to look to replace him? 

wouldn't take much for me at all. If he got a new playcaller and started looking the part, I'm down for investing heavily at WR and OL with top picks. The sooner the better to see him with someone else to evaluate. I'd definitely take Fields too, if we were in position to get him. Both cases would mean Sam never bounced back. 

His main appeal is that he's not Sam Darnold

Tell me about this guy. All I know is he beat Miami last year.What kind of offense did he play in? How is his arm strength compared to Sam's? His intelligence, mobility etc. Where was he rated compared to his class? I ask because is it possible that JD honestly feels he is his QB of the future?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 2

It depends so much who’s coaching the team. If it’s Greg Roman or another guy who’s had success with mobile quarterbacks, I’m pretty excited about Fields or Lance.

I don’t think Darnold is a lost cause, but I think the Jets are going to be in position to take a quarterback and will pull the trigger and I‘ve made my peace with that.

Why draft another QB if we aren't going to surround him with talent? Build a line and acquire skill players that can help a QB develop.  Trevor Lawrence is not the last "once in a generation" QB that will be available in the draft.  

Mahomes is an amazing QB, but he stepped into a role with Tyreek Hill, Hunt, and Kelce as his main skill players. His secondary skill players were Sammy Watkins, Spencer Ware, and Damien Williams.  It doesn't hurt to have Andy Reid as your head coach.  Patrick Mahomes on the Jets would have been a disappointment up until this point. No doubt he would add to the win total, but we would be still be clamoring for skill players that could take him to the next level. 

The Jets have no clue in how to develop a QB. Starting with Sanchez and working their way down.

The more I look at it though these QB's that are getting drafted in the first round it seems alot more a failing than succeeding.

2013: EJ Manual - Bust

2014: Blake Bortles - Bust

Johnny Maziel - Bust

Teddy Bridgewater: Should have been great but that knee injury reduced him to serviceable

2015 Jameis Winston - Bust

Marcus Mariota - Bust

2016: Jarrod Goff: Bad Year, Good Year, Bad year.... very up and down

Carson Wentz: Has had moments but has his knee injury brought him down as well

2017: Mitch Trubisky - bust

Patrick Mahomes: Home run best QB in the game

Deshaun Watson: FQB

2018: Baker Mayfield - ?

Sam Darnold - Trending towards bust

Josh Allen : Looking like a FQB

Lamar Jackson: FQB

• Upvote 1

I would absolutely take one of the 3 QBs unless Sam has some sort of miraculous turnaround the rest of the year. He currently looks lost and we have an extra first round pick for this reason. We can take someone to compete with Sam while also adding a first round pick to help build the roster. 

As for the group who would trade the Trevor pick “for a haul”, would you say the same thing  if your job depended on it?

What I mean is, if you pass on Lawrence and get 2+ good starters to add to this team great. But if you trade someone who becomes a top 5 player in the league you will not survive as the Jets GM and will carry that with your the rest of your time in the league.  Missing on a QB can be a career ending thing but trading away the rights to someone who becomes great is almost impossible to recover from. I just can’t see a GM taking that risk. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Smart as sh*t, all the physical tools, needs to work on his touch because he throws every single pass at 110MPH, whether it’s a bomb down the sideline or a screen pass.

Reminds me of a less developed Flacco.

Could be something there but I doubt JD passes on Lawrence, Fields, or Lance for him.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I would take Fields or Lawrence as long as I don’t have to trade away a ton of draft capital.  I wouldn’t touch Lance at all since he’s only playing one game this year against Arkansas State.  Way too risky for my liking.   

What would he finish with, just 17 total career starts?

He ought to return to school for another year.  That's insanity.  

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Consensus seems to be that he's a top 10 guy. I doubt he'd consider going back -- he'd be more likely to hurt his stock than help it.

I guess.  Any franchise with a modicum of intelligence drops Lance out of the top 30 (or so) on their board because of his lack of experience.  There's no better predictor of a QB failing in the pros than a lack of college experience.

Even Kyler Murray, the current posterboy for a pro QB who is succeeding despite a lack of college experience, started 29 games in college.  41 % more starts than Lance.  

But you're right, because SOMEONE will take the chance on his potential anyways.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I guess.  Any franchise with a modicum of intelligence drops Lance out of the top 30 (or so) on their board because of his lack of experience.  There's no better predictor of a QB failing in the pros than a lack of college experience.

Even Kyler Murray, the current posterboy for a pro QB who is succeeding despite a lack of college experience, started 29 games in college.  41 % more starts than Lance.  

But you're right, because SOMEONE will take the chance on his potential anyways.  

Not to mention he'd have clear runway to be the #1 pick in 2022. Not nearly as much competition.

• Upvote 1