Tanking?

The Gooch

He may want to get rid of Gase. He may not want to hire a bunch of one year rentals or keeping Adams who wants to be gone. He has a long term deal and he wants to build they way he wants. Either way, if he is tanking, getting the #1 or #2 pick would be quite useful for trading down and building a great team. I wouldn't assume that he is going to spend another top pick on a QB when, even if Darnold is a bust, would fail with the current roster. Hell, I can't think of a QB who could win with this roster.

I don't know if you can or cannot effectively evaluate Darnold on this team with this coach. Build the team and get a real coach. If next year you don't win, you can pick the next can't loose QB.

3 hours ago, The Gooch said:

Is it possible that the jets could be tanking?  Maybe Douglas has a plan for next year and remember he didn't pick Darnold and maybe wants another QB!  If they play the same way Thursday night it could be true!  What do you guys think?

If that were true they would have done it in 2012 to 2014 or JD has convinced Chris to tank and let’s hope that includes a new coach. 

I don't think the plan is to tank.  I think unfortunately Gase is incapable of delivering quality football with a bad roster.  My view is the NFL is a coaches and GM league.  If you are well coached that can make up for a lot of roster issues.  Jets are terribly coached.  If you have a GM you will begin to accumulate talent at the most valuable positions...and the NFL, even though it's the ultimate team game, is still very much about QB, left tackle and edge.  We had the absolute worst GM in the history of the sport in Macc.  JD gets it and I'm a believer.  

I believe we have a QB that has long term potential.  I would stick with Sam.  I believe Becton is a monster.  Absolute stud.  No edge and this needs to be fixed.  

Bottom line - not a tank.  We just have an abysmal coach.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

We're accidentally tanking.  And that will be proven to be true when the Jets beat the Broncos, a team that is ACTUALLY tanking, on Thursday night.

We traded away Jamal Adams. The Broncos signed Melvin Gordon. If either team was tanking before the season it was the Jets. 

Broncos are just dealing with injuries to Von MIller/Sutton/Lock much like we are dealing with injuries to half our offense so both teams are now tanking, whether they want to or not. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We traded away Jamal Adams. The Broncos signed Melvin Gordon. If either team was tanking before the season it was the Jets. 

Broncos are just dealing with injuries to Von MIller/Sutton/Lock much like we are dealing with injuries to half our offense so both teams are now tanking, whether they want to or not. 

No, they didn't START the season tanking.  But then the injuries piled up, including one to their starting QB.  They're starting their QB3, Mark Rypien's nephew, this week.  Elway wants that # 1 pick, bad.

6 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

If this is all you're going to contribute why even bother?  Thread killer.  Bring something to the table.  Total joke poster.

Or the OP could just take two seconds to scan the board to realize this topic has already been discussed ad nauseam?  

Nah; let’s go on having the same conversations in 10 different threads.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:34 PM, The Gooch said:

Is it possible that the jets could be tanking?  Maybe Douglas has a plan for next year and remember he didn't pick Darnold and maybe wants another QB!  If they play the same way Thursday night it could be true!  What do you guys think?

I think it tanking has nothing to do with it. They just suck azz.