Allbright: Keep an eye on Greg Roman?

At this point in time:

• Its decently likely that Gase will not be the HC of the NYJ next year.
  • The Jets will be competing against at least the Falcons for a new HC.  I don’t think there is any question with that match up where most coaches would rather work.  
  • If the next HC is Roman, or Bienemy, the likelihood is that it will be awhile before the Jets can interview or hire them, leaving the organization in limbo.

To me, plucking Harbaugh out of Michigan is the best option to transform the franchise.  It will be very expensive. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Roman seems like an okay enough prospect for HC, but how much does he really tailor his system?  Smith, Kaepernick, Taylor and Jackson are all QBs that could run.  Darnold probably is not.  People keep acting like Smith is some pocket passer.  Is that because of his "grittiness?"  Darnold is a solid athlete, but does not seem like he is going to be able to run like that.  If Roman is the guy, I'm pretty sure they will take somebody new, but not necessarily at the top of the draft.

It would be an interesting poll to see here if people thought an effective offensive scheme could be created for darnold by having him operate outside of the pocket much of the time.  It’s clearly where he’s most comfortable, but in fairness, he hasn’t had much of a pocket here in NY thus far.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I think it's funny that you truly believe Trevor is some kind of cant miss prospect.  Or maybe you're just hoping it for the Jets sake? 

He's so flawed, it's not even funny.  Legit, he's the most overhyped prospect since, well, Sam Darnold.

Trevor is the new for the moment toy, the idea of getting him is better than actually getting him.  

Somehow hes reached the mythical "best prospect since" whoever status 

I have this phone call every night 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It feels like no matter who we hire, that person almost always turns out to be worse than the previous guy. 

Based on that, maybe we should just re-hire Todd Bowles?  I mean, at least for once, we'll know we'll be getting an upgrade!

Then hire Mangini if you’re going to hire a retread.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm on the Roman train for the reasons many of you have mentioned, I'd like to add

1) Douglas and Roman were in Baltimore together, so they likely have a relationship

2) Roman played DL in college and started his coaching career on the defensive side, so he has familiarity with both sides of the team

3) He's a Jersey guy.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Then hire Mangini if you’re going to hire a retread.  

You know I was kidding about re-hiring Bowles, right? 

Though I wouldn't be against re-hiring Mangini, we probably need to go in a new direction.  There would be too much pressure on him if we brought him back and he didn't have early success.

Just now, maury77 said:

I'm on the Roman train for the reasons many of you have mentioned, I'd like to add

1) Douglas and Roman were in Baltimore together, so they likely have a relationship

2) Roman played DL in college and started his coaching career on the defensive side, so he has familiarity with both sides of the team

3) He's a Jersey guy.

As long as Joe D is choosing the hire (rather than the Johnsons) then I'm okay with it.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, varjet said:

At this point in time:

• Its decently likely that Gase will not be the HC of the NYJ next year.
  • The Jets will be competing against at least the Falcons for a new HC.  I don’t think there is any question with that match up where most coaches would rather work.  
  • If the next HC is Roman, or Bienemy, the likelihood is that it will be awhile before the Jets can interview or hire them, leaving the organization in limbo.

To me, plucking Harbaugh out of Michigan is the best option to transform the franchise.  It will be very expensive. 

I think Harbaugh was a very good NFL head coach and will be again if/when he ever returns.

However, my one reservation about him is that, even if he came here and was relatively successful, I don't think he would be here very long. I don't see him as a guy who could come here and coach for a decade. My impression is that he's one of those guys who eventually wears out his welcome everywhere he goes and I suspect he'll be a guy with 4-5 different HC jobs before he retires. 

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know everyone's high on Roman, but if we're going for an offensive mind I'd prefer a guy whose innovations are in the passing game, not the running game. I mean, Rex hired Greg Roman as his OC, for ****'s sake

I like Roman because it's hard to discount his successes with marginal/project QBs, but I can't help but have this thought in the back of my mind as well. 

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know everyone's high on Roman, but if we're going for an offensive mind I'd prefer a guy whose innovations are in the passing game, not the running game. I mean, Rex hired Greg Roman as his OC, for ****'s sake

I'm sure the Johnson's are following the red dot and see the Lamar Jackson stuff as the new shiny thing.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think Harbaugh was a very good NFL head coach and will be again if/when he ever returns.

However, my one reservation about him is that, even if he came here and was relatively successful, I don't think he would be here very long. I don't see him as a guy who could come here and coach for a decade. My impression is that he's one of those guys who eventually wears out his welcome everywhere he goes and I suspect he'll be a guy with 4-5 different HC jobs before he retires. 

Neither was Parcells.  We need someone to reform the organization.   Parcells had the team running better for 15 years.  

I think the Jets need a strong leader type.   Most of these coaches are former coordinators who do not exude strong leadership.

Gase had HC experience was not a strong leader in Miami either.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Jets need to build a program so they need to get somebody who has done that. Innovations you can steal.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Neither was Parcells.  We need someone to reform the organization.   Parcells had the team running better for 15 years.  

I think the Jets need a strong leader type.   Most of these coaches are former coordinators who do not exude strong leadership.

Gase had HC experience was not a strong leader in Miami either.  

I agree to an extent, but the dream is to find a younger version of Parcells who will stay here for a decade and truly establish a winning culture/legacy. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

I agree to an extent, but the dream is to find a younger version of Parcells who will stay here for a decade and truly establish a winning culture/legacy. 

That fat **** is a strange person to mention when talking about wanting a guy who will stay for a decade.  After the Giants he basically ran off on everybody in a few years and before the job was done.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

That fat **** is a strange person to mention when talking about wanting a guy who will stay for a decade.  After the Giants he basically ran off on everybody in a few years and before the job was done.

Like George Peppard of the A-Team, he came, he fixed the problem, then he drove off like the heroic figure he was.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I think it's funny that you truly believe Trevor is some kind of cant miss prospect.  Or maybe you're just hoping it for the Jets sake? 

He's so flawed, it's not even funny.  Legit, he's the most overhyped prospect since, well, Sam Darnold.

This is totally correct.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with you. It just smells a lot like the Jets are moving some deck chairs this week and the “talking to agents” thing is likely only in that the agents are tied to Gregg and whoever takes Loggain’s job.

If GW is not fired (at least at the end of the year) along with Gase then we can be almost certain that this sh*tshow will continue.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It feels like no matter who we hire, that person almost always turns out to be worse than the previous guy. 

Based on that, maybe we should just re-hire Todd Bowles?  I mean, at least for once, we'll know we'll be getting an upgrade!

Without trying to sound hyperbolic, literally ANYONE from the coaching universe would be an upgrade over Gase.  He is without question, the worst HC I have ever seen in any sport in my 51 years on this planet!

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He also restored two franchises (Pats and Jets) from the absolute depths of the NFL to respectability and got very close to winning it all with both teams. 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I am against the sanctification of fatcells...   w/o Belicheck? see Dallas...

our 98 D was cobbled together with spit and duct tape...   which is why it eventually unravelled...

but yeah, a solid character... Harbaugh seems too kooky...   i can't say I have a current fave candidate...

Klingsbury was someone I liked,,,

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I am against the sanctification of fatcells...   w/o Belicheck? see Dallas...

our 98 D was cobbled together with spit and duct tape...   which is why it eventually unravelled...

but yeah, a solid character... Harbaugh seems too kooky...   i can't say I have a current fave candidate...

Klingsbury was someone I liked,,,

If no Parcells, no Belichick. (I agree that Belichick has long since surpassed him)

Parcells was a winner his entire career and is easily the best in-game coach we have had since I have been alive.