Allbright: Keep an eye on Greg Roman?

7 hours ago, Butterfield said:

For one more day anyway.  

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Who?  Adam Gase is your head coach, learn to like him.

SAR I

Butterfield, you must realize that even after Adam's Gaze is gone, SORE I will insist "Adam" is still the coach and we never lost a game to the Bills.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He sure as hell did not look 'can't miss' at times last year and in last years nat champ game.  (And vs ohio state the game before)

He looked just fine against Ohio State last year. He looked better than Fields, who looked awful, that is for sure.

The Natty?  Yeah LSU beat him to death with pressure in that game and it certainly affected him.  That happens to every Quarterback if you hit them that many times though.  So far he’s looked like he’s progressing even further this year.  He’s an absolutely fantastic prospect and he’s getting nit-picked at this point.  JD cannot pass on him for “hope” with Sam.  He simply can’t, and I don’t suspect he will, barring a total turn around from Sam, which would likely take us out of contention for the #1 pick anyway.

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

36271752-ABBB-4A3B-894C-C8380CB90B93.thumb.jpeg.14b0a48a96af6664d8f18e1d03b635e4.jpeg

Asked him about the QB situation...this is one spicy meatball.

Meh.  Just because Greg Roman "made it work" with Alex Smith doesn't mean the goal for a Douglas/Roman combo would be to take a bad QB and make him "OK".  

Roman being a rumored candidate means something to me given the Baltimore connection.  But the QB aspect is up in the air.  We don't know what pick we'll end up with, and if its top 3, I imagine by then that Douglas and Roman could very easily fall in love with one of the QB prospects and decide they want him over Darnold.  There's a LONG way to go until April.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Every year I come across Benjamin Allbright rumors on this board.  I had never heard of him prior to reading this board regularly a few years ago.

I could be misremembering, but I'm fairly certain his batting average is somewhere in the neighborhood of zero.

DON'T TAKE THIS FROM US

• Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Would receiving a 1st, 2nd and 4th in 2021 and a 1st, 3rd and 6th in 2022 for a trade back help settle your stomach?

Nope.  Because a year or 2 later we'd be looking to trade back up for a prospect we hope to be on Lawrence/Fields' level.  There's no reason to kick the can down the road.

QB-needy teams don't pass on top-level QB prospects when picking at or near the top of the draft.  It just doesn't happen, and SHOULDN'T happen.  

Just take the QB you like best and build around him.  

Jets making play for Harbaugh but 1% chance. Unless John Harbaugh resigns form Ravens after season, Greg Roman is a shoo-in to be named Jets HC. Great choice, worked in SF w/Kap (when he was good) and now Lamar Jackson. He changes his scheme to mesh with players skills and is innovative and changes ingame. Cant blame him for KC games LOL. It would be Douglas going to his Baltimore roots. The folks who trained him hired Roman. Main thing is Greg is 'regular Coord. not a wierd analytics, silent, moody type like Gase. He coaches and calls like normal football. I doubt he will run 98% of time up the middle on 2nd and 10 LOL

We might even see 20 yard out passes and more mvement from Sam OR we will see if Sam shows no improvement w/Gase gone rest of 2020 thjat Jets use 1st Rd pick on a QB that Roman thinks better fits when he likes to do. His history is he likes to work with QBs who can scramble but strong arms.

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I know everyone's high on Roman, but if we're going for an offensive mind I'd prefer a guy whose innovations are in the passing game, not the running game. I mean, Rex hired Greg Roman as his OC, for ****'s sake

Tyrod Taylor was QB # 8 in DVOA that season (2015) in Buffalo.  Rex then scapegoated him in 2016, firing him early in the season.

Since when is Roman a running game-only guy?  

43 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He looked just fine against Ohio State last year. He looked better than Fields, who looked awful, that is for sure.

The Natty?  Yeah LSU beat him to death with pressure in that game and it certainly affected him.  That happens to every Quarterback if you hit them that many times though.  So far he’s looked like he’s progressing even further this year.  He’s an absolutely fantastic prospect and he’s getting nit-picked at this point.  JD cannot pass on him for “hope” with Sam.  He simply can’t, and I don’t suspect he will, barring a total turn around from Sam, which would likely take us out of contention for the #1 pick anyway.

18-33, 259 vs ohio state nothing too awesome.  In the semi final and then the final he had 2 tds, barely 50%, about 240 yards per game and was sacked 5 times.  Early in the year his 1st three games he had 5 tds and 5 ints.

Burrow out played him monumentally in the nat game.

QB DVOA rankings under Greg Roman (as OC, 2011-present):

• 2011, SF - Alex Smith:  # 13
  • 2012, SF - Alex Smith:  # 9
  • 2012, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 3
  • 2013, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 7
  • 2014, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 28
  • 2015, BUF - Tyrod Taylor:  # 8
  • 2016, BUF - Tyrod Taylor:  N/A - scapegoated by Rex Ryan after 37-31 Week 2 loss to Jets
  • 2017, BAL - Joe Flacco:  N/A - Offensive Coordinator was Marty Mornhinweg
  • 2018, BAL - Joe Flacco:  # 16
  • 2019, BAL - Lamar Jackson:  # 2

Yes, so far this season, Jackson has struggled (# 24 in DVOA).

But based on the above data in totality, how can anyone say Greg Roman is ONLY good at handling the running game?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• 2016, BUF - Tyrod Taylor:  N/A - scapegoated by Rex Ryan after 37-31 Week 2 loss to Jets

But based on the above data in totality, how can anyone say Greg Roman is ONLY good at handling the running game?

that is damn good when Kap went off rails with new girlfriend and prioritized activism over football. As far as Lamar this year, its week 3 so who cares and they played KC and 1st 2 games were blowout 30+ point scored by Ravens so I am sure they were playing conservative kill clock 4th Qtrs and again, its week 3 LOL

I like the consistency of , My God, we have had in NY and he had in Miami rankings in the high 20s, 30s , smh

It would be un Jet like if we lucked into getting Greg Roman. I hope Sam shows confidence boost and better play so we can use draft picks on non QB selections. I warn you though, if Sam continues trajectory and doesnt fix foot placement then,,, 2021 Sams 4th year, NEW coach, Douglas's 1st REAL year as GM with HIS head coach = Jets will have to use top pick on QB Roman likes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

That’s nice. 

He may also still suck as bad as he has played so far and I’m not passing on an amazing quarterback prospect for the slim chance Sam isn’t broken beyond repair.

I can understand drafting Lawrence if they end up with the first pick which is not going to happen but I am not giving up on Darnold for any other QB in the 2021 draft.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I will be really curious to see how Jackson plays this season. That offense really caught the league by storm last year, but I have wondered for a while how sustainable it really is. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

How exactly are you judging Lawrence this season when he is playing with NFL talent against the likes of Wake Forest.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

18-33, 259 vs ohio state nothing too awesome.  In the semi final and then the final he had 2 tds, barely 50%, about 240 yards per game and was sacked 5 times.  Early in the year his 1st three games he had 5 tds and 5 ints.

Burrow out played him monumentally in the nat game.

What about the year before?

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

How exactly are you judging Lawrence this season when he is playing with NFL talent against the likes of Wake Forest.

He plays who he’s scheduled to play and he dominates them, as he should.

Some here love Fields and others love Trey Lance.  Are we gonna slander Fields for playing Rutgers and Lance for playing whoever he plays?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Some here love Fields and others love Trey Lance.  Are we gonna slander Fields for playing Rutgers and Lance for playing whoever he plays?

Same people who criticize Lawrence for dominating with a good supporting cast excuse Darnold for sucking with a bad one.

confused will smith GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Lawrence is a good prospect but you said that he is progressing further this year when he hasn't played even a decent team yet. As far as the other guys are concerned Fields is trash and Lance would be a solid 3rd or 4th round pick. I can understand drafting Lawrence if given the chance but neither Fields nor Lance is in the same class as Darnold.

Its always the QB being the problem with this franchise. I happen to believe that Darnold can still be great but you can't surround him with the worst talent in the league and have him continue to be coached by losers like Gase and his equally inept friend Loggains.

As great as Mahomes is give him Gase and the Jets roster and see how much he is winning. 

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

Same people who criticize Lawrence for dominating with a good supporting cast excuse Darnold for sucking with a bad one.

confused will smith GIF

I'm not criticizing Lawrence for dominating with NFL talent against Wake Forest but to claim that he has gotten better when he hasn;t faced a real opponent is ridiculous. Believe me if this guy was placed on the Jets with this coaching staff and the current roster he would be struggling every bit as much as Darnold is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

I'm not criticizing Lawrence for dominating with NFL talent against Wake Forest but to claim that he has gotten better when he hasn;t faced a real opponent is ridiculous. Believe me if this guy was placed on the Jets with this coaching staff and the current roster he would be struggling every bit as much as Darnold is.

So Lawrence being good with a good cast means we must assume he’ll suck with a bad cast while Darnold being bad with a bad cast means we must assume he’ll be good with a good cast.

Nolan North Sip GIF by RETRO REPLAY

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I will be really curious to see how Jackson plays this season. That offense really caught the league by storm last year, but I have wondered for a while how sustainable it really is. 

I think Jackson is a far better passer than he's getting credit for here, and will bounce back from his subpar performances to date this season.  There's no shame in getting beaten by the Chiefs. 

And in their first 2 games of this season, they put up 30+ points in each contest.  It's not like what they're doing this year isn't working.  They're just choosing to rely more on the ground game at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2020 at 4:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Adding to the data I posted above, add this to the "hire Roman!" file:

3 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Take a look at this chart for Expected Points Added for each play on offense and defense. It's an advanced metric which basically weighs the outcome of each play against the likelyhood it will either add points for the team or add points to the opponent. For instance, a 4 yard run on 3rd and 10 from our own 15 yard line is very negative while a 4 yard run on 3rd and 3 from the opponents 40 is very positive. Traditional stats (like total yards per game) treat those two 4 yard runs exactly the same. 

4866bo5bmwp51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2020 at 5:08 PM, jgb said:

confused will smith GIF

These are the same people who were blowing Baker Mayfield a couple years ago with an excellent supporting cast in Oklahoma 

On 9/30/2020 at 8:47 AM, varjet said:

At this point in time:

• Its decently likely that Gase will not be the HC of the NYJ next year.
  • The Jets will be competing against at least the Falcons for a new HC.  I don’t think there is any question with that match up where most coaches would rather work.  
  • If the next HC is Roman, or Bienemy, the likelihood is that it will be awhile before the Jets can interview or hire them, leaving the organization in limbo.

To me, plucking Harbaugh out of Michigan is the best option to transform the franchise.  It will be very expensive. 

its a nice thought but I think maybe ten years late. his offense that he runs at Michigan is something in my opinion that schematically is antiquated. Wham blocks up the middle and short pass game is has not brought a massive school with a very expensive coaching staff with world class facilities has brought the school what? Usually total humiliation at the Hans of their arch rival. There is a reason the rumors of a hot seat abound. Watch Michigans offense, not much innovation, more of the same we r tougher than u so here we come. don't see it working here

• 2 months later...

I think this thread is going to age pretty well in the next two weeks. Especially if Douglas is the one making the call. Would Work out very well for Sam too. Would make a ton of sense. Roman has strictly dealt with terrible passing QB's and done well with them. 

From a few post above. 

26 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I think this thread is going to age pretty well in the next two weeks. Especially if Douglas is the one making the call. Would Work out very well for Sam too. Would make a ton of sense. Roman has strictly dealt with terrible passing QB's and done well with them. 

From a few post above. 

Not to mention Joe Douglas was the OL scout when Greg Roman was the OL Assistant in Baltimore. He was my betting favorite at the beginning of the season. I would not be upset but I'd prefer Daboll

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

From a few post above. 

Good info there; thanks for posting.

Not the guy I wanted if we got TL, but def a solid backup choice. Ya got Becton already, you can draft Sewell if ya like him, sign a guard, get a decent RB sometime later in the draft and give this team an identity and play to Roman's strength. 

Can't say it's the most exciting but it does give whatever QB we trot out there a much better chance.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

From a few post above. 

Highly doubt he would want a guy who’s wet the bed for 3 years straight, highly likely any competent coach would want to mold their own QB. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Not to mention Joe Douglas was the OL scout when Greg Roman was the OL Assistant in Baltimore. He was my betting favorite at the beginning of the season. I would not be upset but I'd prefer Daboll

I didn't know that - Pretty strong connection one would think. 

56 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Highly doubt he would want a guy who’s wet the bed for 3 years straight, highly likely any competent coach would want to mold their own QB. 

Roman has worked with crap passing QB's his entire career. Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, Colin Kap, Old Flacco and Lamar who sucks as a pure passer. Its what he does.