What if....Penei Sewell edition

Greenseed4

What if we get a top pick, not THE top pick... or maybe it is, and the new HC decides to run with Sam anyway.
(Or, maybe the draft falls QB, QB, QB, and we are looking at running with Sam again by default)... Do we go for the best WR in the draft, or the next generational OL?

I’m seeing mocks where crazy talented WRs are still available at the back end of round 1. sh*t, I’m seeing crazy talented WRs in the third round!

I’m only seeing one OL worthy of a top-5 pick and he could make our OL scary. Penei Sewell is young, and DOMINANT. Put him next to Becton, then pick up a WR/RB with the next two picks.  Thoughts?

• Sympathy 2

If you get the #1 pick you have to take Lawrence and trade Darnold. If we don’t get the top 2 QB’s, you move on from Darnold anyways instead of investing such big money on him. You can always get a veteran until you get a young QB to groom later. Sewell would be a premium pick. But he’s a LT isn’t he? Where would he play? And we desperately need an edge. Anyways, building the core is imperative before investing in a QB that just hasn’t progressed since we just have so many positions that require talent. 

• Upvote 1

if u got the one you trade down, hopefully to the second or third spot and u draft the bookend to Becton and move to right tackle. we still would have a boatload of picks left and can still go wideouts and interior line or edge and linebacker. we would massively upgrade in very short order. one we have skill and Sam does not improve the its time for a new qb which we will have draft capital to make moves if there is a good one out there the following draft..

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This is the question that's been on my mind too. Wonder who plays on the left side and who plays on the right in that scenario. I think if you have Becton and Sewell plus three more first round picks over that draft and the next one, there's a chance to build an utterly dominant offensive line that can be retained for a long time.

It's interesting. I think it becomes a serious discussion if the Jets are, say at three and Lawrence/Fields go 1/2. I want skill position talent at least as much as the next guy and do like Chase but I think Sewell is in a different tier.

• Upvote 1

I would have no issue with that, best outcome would be to trade down.  I want an OG or OC drafted before round 3 as well.

Lawrence is not as good as Joe Burrow.  Burrow looks good but to me is still not massively ahead of Darnold.

This Lawrence love is out of hand.

Build the team, stick with Darnold with a new coach if you really really  hate him then sing a short term vet.

Two drafts from now go get a Qb.

If we get the #1 overall pick its got to be Lawrence.

If we get a top 3 pick and Sewell is there but Lawrence is gone, you take Sewell. This depends on how the Jets feel about other QBs like Fields and Lance and if they feel like moving on from Sam. 

If we pick in the top 5 and both Sewell and Lawrence are gone, you take Rousseau

If we pick just inside the top 10 and the above are gone, you take Farley

I only see the Jets taking a WR with THEIR pick if they end up drafting outside the top 10 and the above prospects are gone. 

I think a WR makes much more sense with the Seahawks pick late in Rd. 1. 

• Upvote 1

If we operate under the assumption that 

1) We are picking top 5

2) Aren't taking a QB for whatever reason

3) and can't trade down

...then I think Sewell or Ja'Marr Chase are the only logical options. Becton and Sewell would be the best OT combo in the NFL instantly. Add some decent players inside and we're mauling people up front.

I'd still probably lean Chase as weapons are probably a bigger issue than line right now, but I wouldn't be upset with Becton and Sewell for the next 10+ years. It should be noted that if you do that... You're likely committing to lots of money on the o-line as a huge part of your identity. Not that I have an issue with that. 

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, PepPep said:

If we get the #1 overall pick its got to be Lawrence.

If we get a top 3 pick and Sewell is there but Lawrence is gone, you take Sewell. This depends on how the Jets feel about other QBs like Fields and Lance and if they feel like moving on from Sam. 

If we pick in the top 5 and both Sewell and Lawrence are gone, you take Rousseau

If we pick just inside the top 10 and the above are gone, you take Farley

I only see the Jets taking a WR with THEIR pick if they end up drafting outside the top 10 and the above prospects are gone. 

I think a WR makes much more sense with the Seahawks pick late in Rd. 1. 

I tend to agree that the Jets probably aren’t going to be in a position to address WR early. I’d imagine they draft pretty high and it’s Lawrence at 1, maybe Fields or Lance below that depending on the coaching staff. If quarterback is out Sewell should top the board.

So if they’re in that top 3-5 range there’s a good chance they take a position that they probably wouldn’t take in the late first or on dah two which is kind of interesting.

Beyond that, I certainly be wrong but I don’t think Rousseau goes top 5. He seems like a guy who had a wide range heading into the draft and really could’ve used a year to solidify himself instead of opting out. He’s a freak for sure but I think he needed more tape, people seem pretty split. So I think minus the year he’s a back end top ten guy because there’s a lot of risk.

And I’ll throw things if they take a corner in the top ten. Chase has to be in play somewhere in there.

8 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Ja’Marr Chase says hi.

Chase is a great prospect and I 'm very much aware of him, but I would take Lawrence, Sewell and Rousseau over him. Farley, maybe, but the fact that there's a considerable drop off at CB after the top 3 makes me lean towards taking a CB early rather than a WR in rd 1, assuming that was a position we were going to address. 

• Upvote 1

I'd have no issues taking him in the first round if QB isnt an option. Move Becton to RT and not worry about the OT position for a long ass time. Take a WR with the Seattle pick.

I'd also be fine taking an elite WR (Chase) and addressing OL with the Seattle pick.

With the second round pick, I'd go with edge rusher or CB. Whomever is the better player (although I wouldnt be surprised to see this pick traded)

With the third rounders, I'd take the defensive position that wasnt addressed in the second round and WR.

If we end up out of the top 2 (around 3-6),I’m down to trade back to grab another pick. Sewell might be enticing for someone looking to trade up and I can’t justify taking him with other high end talents at positions of need. Shaun Wade, Greg Rousseau, Caleb Farley, Patrick Surtain, Carlos Basham, Ja’marr Chase, Micah Parsons are all guys we could use.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:17 PM, Beerfish said:

Lawrence is not as good as Joe Burrow.  Burrow looks good but to me is still not massively ahead of Darnold.

This Lawrence love is out of hand.

Disagree, Trevor Lawerence is better imo. He can extend the play and make off schedule throws like Darnold but the difference is that he is such a clean passer and his picture perfect mechanics allow him to be consistent with it. He’s comes off as more savvy and cerebral of a QB than Burrow. I think Burrow is going to be very good for a very long time but I like the athletic ability and moxie of Lawerence more. He’s a supremely talented player.

but I  do agree that the Trevor Lawrence love is a bit out of hand. He isn’t the best college QB prospect ever but he’s an A+.

again, just my opinion.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Disagree, Trevor Lawerence is better imo. He can extend the play and make off schedule throws like Darnold but the difference is that he is such a clean passer and his picture perfect mechanics allow him to be consistent with it. He’s comes off as more savvy and cerebral of a QB than Burrow. I think Burrow is going to be very good for a very long time but I like the athletic ability and moxie of Lawerence more. He’s a supremely talented player.

but I  do agree that the Trevor Lawrence love is a bit out of hand. He isn’t the best college QB prospect ever but he’s an A+.

again, just my opinion.

Clean passer and great mechanics go hand in hand with having lots of time to throw and Wrs a cut above the other teams DBs.

No coincidence that two of his worst games last year came vs ohio state and then lsu at the end of the year.  Equal talent level.

I'm not saying he is a bad prospect at all and if you have the #1 pick you probably take him (or trade for a bounty).  I just do not think he is a positive must have.

Like many young QBs his success coming into the league will depend on the make up of the team he goes to and the coaching.  If he came to the Jets 3 years ago we would be wanting to ship him out as a bust.

What I find interesting about the Sewell discussion is that we have seen exactly what happens when you use top 10 picks on non-premium positions and while Sewell himself will play LT, it would require moving Becton, who by all accounts has been excellent, to RT which is not a position we need.  I would much rather keep and pay Becton for 10 years at LT and find RTs in other ways.

Unless Sam has a ridiculous end of year, and I mean RIDICULOUS, we simply have to take one of the QBs if we can.  Its too important of a position to pass.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 8:46 AM, BCJet said:

What I find interesting about the Sewell discussion is that we have seen exactly what happens when you use top 10 picks on non-premium positions and while Sewell himself will play LT, it would require moving Becton, who by all accounts has been excellent, to RT which is not a position we need.  I would much rather keep and pay Becton for 10 years at LT and find RTs in other ways.

Unless Sam has a ridiculous end of year, and I mean RIDICULOUS, we simply have to take one of the QBs if we can.  Its too important of a position to pass.

Good point.  Becton has proven he can anchor the left side so you can't move him over now.  Drafting Sewell to play him at RT diminishes his value and probably pisses him off.  I don't see it as a fit here, which is ironic because about 25 other positions are desperate need but LT is one of the few that isn't.

If you want to pair Becton with a RT, how about Daniel Faalele.  Don't know that name?  Look him up.  Just know that he would be the only guy in the NFL calling Becton 'tiny' (he's 6'9" 400 lbs and can move).  Not sure he can handle speed rushers, but omg would we be a power running team.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2020 at 2:46 PM, BCJet said:

Outside of Lawrence I’m not crazy about any of these quarterbacks 

Sewell is the pick if we accidentally win a game and get stuck at 2nd overall.  Playing him at RT is the least of our concerns.  He and Becton will both be all pros and still get paid.

I’d rather give Sam another shot with an actual legit head coach and a great OL then take one of these other qbs

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2020 at 4:32 AM, nycdan said:

Good point.  Becton has proven he can anchor the left side so you can't move him over now.  Drafting Sewell to play him at RT diminishes his value and probably pisses him off.  I don't see it as a fit here, which is ironic because about 25 other positions are desperate need but LT is one of the few that isn't.

If you want to pair Becton with a RT, how about Daniel Faalele.  Don't know that name?  Look him up.  Just know that he would be the only guy in the NFL calling Becton 'tiny' (he's 6'9" 400 lbs and can move).  Not sure he can handle speed rushers, but omg would we be a power running team.

Faalele is realistic for our second round pick.  The people who know everything will say his size will be a health issue and cause him to fall to round 2