Nfl is changing how games are now called

chirorob

From espn.

Basically, don't call offemsice holding, but call more defensive pass interference, which leads to high scoring games with less penalties overall.

"Through the first 48 games of 2020, officials have thrown flags for 95 offensive holding penalties. That's 59% fewer than in 2019, when they were operating under instructions to increase such penalties, and 45% lower than the previous five-year average. At the same time, flags for defensive pass interference have risen 22% from 2019 to 72, the most through three weeks since at least 2001. Despite the increase in pass interference, the league's current average of 13.63 flags per game is its lowest through three weeks of a season since 2001."

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Calling PI or defensive holding is applied far differently from player to player.

Stephon Gilmore though really good held or interfered on many plays and was not called.  The none calls vs robbie anderson in that one game were utterly laughable.

Gilmore should be nicknamed poligrip . 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

From espn.

Basically, don't call offemsice holding, but call more defensive pass interference, which leads to high scoring games with less penalties overall.

"Through the first 48 games of 2020, officials have thrown flags for 95 offensive holding penalties. That's 59% fewer than in 2019, when they were operating under instructions to increase such penalties, and 45% lower than the previous five-year average. At the same time, flags for defensive pass interference have risen 22% from 2019 to 72, the most through three weeks since at least 2001. Despite the increase in pass interference, the league's current average of 13.63 flags per game is its lowest through three weeks of a season since 2001."

I said to @Mogglez after the first couple of games that I thought the league was calling fewer calls as you describe.  I thought, and still do, to lessen the issues that the COVID camp left teams dealing with

• Upvote 1

There is way too much pass interference being called.  Just throw it deep and chances are if it's not caught you'll get a flag.  Speed is becoming more common at the receiver position, it's just the way the game is going.  So life is harder than ever for DBs.

On top of that, it's pretty clear the NFL wants scoring now, because scoring = excitement = ratings = higher salary cap amidst the economic depression we're in.

The last thing the NFL wants now is 13-10 games.  It favors established programs and damages rebuilding teams.

• Post of the Week 1

In their great pursuit to make the game more exciting by scoring more points they are ruining it.

It's gotten to the point that after a good defensive stop you really can't even get excited.  You have to sit around for a good 10 seconds to make sure there's not no flag.

And it certainly feels like way more often than it use to be, a flag comes out.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Some of us have been saying this for years. The league is favoring the offense for higher scores. This is something through the decade the Jets have seemingly never thought to take advantage of. They kept hiring D coaches and drafting D players high almost exclusively.

2 yard curls on 3rd and 6 are a staple of the Jets offense. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, chirorob said:

From espn.

I don’t know if the refs changed or it’s just a consequence of the weird corona season so far.  It may come back to normal as the season wears on.  I know I was glad the refs had a non call on hogan on the Berrios pass play against the dolts. I don’t recall seeing the jets ever actually execute a non pick play like that.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I genuinely hate how high scoring the league has become. Eventually it will just be team averaging 30-40 points a game across the bord. High score games don’t even feel special now. They’re the norm.

Except the Jets of course.

Fantasy football has become such a big part of the football environment that the league needs to cash in on that. People don't want to see low score games but you also can't have a league where five teams can run up the score and nobody else can because then fantasy football boils down to picking whichever QB of the five has the hot year.