Mangini vs Gase

AFJF

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I was at that game. My father and I flew into Jax and sat through that abomination. That game was so all-time bad that my old man and I actually regretted not doing something else because Jacksonville sucked and the game was even worse. The reason I am telling my side of this story is because I had blissfully suppressed the memories of having to sit through that dumpster fire of a performance and your post is now making me relive it and I don't appreciate that. 

I recall the game as well, and no one should have to suffer alone.

Sorry.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Both failures, but one thing I always remembered and loved about Mangini was a game they played against the Jags in Jacksonville because I was there and it pissed me off until I realized what Mangini was doing.

Jets lost by a million and the game was 100% over at the half.  They were not coming back.  The Jets run game had been poor leading up to and during that game. So what did Mangini do?  He used the rest of that game to work on the run game.  Play after play after play he ran it.  It was basically him taking advantage of live reps to help get the ground game going in the coming weeks.  Honestly can't remember how well it worked, but the idea made sense.

Now with Gase, the objective is supposed to be the development of Darnold in year 3.  

Against Indy this weekend, the Jets trailed 31-7 to start the fourth quarter.  Could've gone hurry-up/no huddle and let Sam get as many reads/reps as possible.  Instead, play distribution went like this:

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

On the final drive, Gase finally lets Darnold throw a few passes with less than a minute to go.

Brilliant!

Gase knows he’s out. Just trying to keep the score as close as he can to fluff up his CV for his next job interview.

Mangini moment I remember most was his first game against Pats (maybe second?) he and Belichick were constantly trying to catch the other with 12 men on the field. It was like a chess match with players running 5yards on then off, to force the defense to keep swapping personnel. And mangini caught Bill a couple times. It was at that moment I thought “wow we finally have a smart HC again.” It’s been all downhill from there! ;) 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Gase knows he’s out. Just trying to keep the score as close as he can to fluff up his CV for his next job interview.

Well, he's failing at that. Miserably.

Week 1 - loss by 10

Week 2 - loss by 18

Week 3 - loss by 29

The gap is not closing. :-) 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Both failures, but one thing I always remembered and loved about Mangini was a game they played against the Jags in Jacksonville because I was there and it pissed me off until I realized what Mangini was doing.

Jets lost by a million and the game was 100% over at the half.  They were not coming back.  The Jets run game had been poor leading up to and during that game. So what did Mangini do?  He used the rest of that game to work on the run game.  Play after play after play he ran it.  It was basically him taking advantage of live reps to help get the ground game going in the coming weeks.  Honestly can't remember how well it worked, but the idea made sense.

Now with Gase, the objective is supposed to be the development of Darnold in year 3.  

Against Indy this weekend, the Jets trailed 31-7 to start the fourth quarter.  Could've gone hurry-up/no huddle and let Sam get as many reads/reps as possible.  Instead, play distribution went like this:

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

On the final drive, Gase finally lets Darnold throw a few passes with less than a minute to go.

Brilliant!

By your own admission you said mangini continued to run as a means to get the oline run blocker better in the future. What makes you think gase isn’t doing the same? The game isn’t all about passing.  The jets oline isn’t run or pass blocking very well so they need more reps doing one or the other.  The only issue I see is they currently have too many 3 and outs.  To get consistency they at least need to keep the ball for more than 3 downs.

im no gase lover but let’s stop trying to find issues or state issues that may not be there.

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Correct. He had 2 winning years in 3 seasons and was probably a Brett Favre injury away from a deep playoff run. 

The collapse in 2008 was disastrous, but it would have been interesting to see him coach the roster that he largely built in 2009 and beyond. 

So he needed a future HOF player to win?? The QB he dumped took a 1-15 Fin team to the playoffs. Yes Brady was out in 08 and he lost to the Pats and needed OT in the 2nd game to squeak out a win.. I guess by year 3 he still didn't have his hand picked QB Clemens ready to play when Farve was hurting..

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

So he needed a future HOF player to win?? The QB he dumped took a 1-15 Fin team to the playoffs. Yes Brady was out in 08 and he lost to the Pats and needed OT in the 2nd game to squeak out a win.. I guess by year 3 he still didn't have his hand picked QB Clemens ready to play when Farve was hurting..

Yea, I mean he made plenty of mistakes and I'm not saying that there wasn't an argument for him being fired. But he built most of the team that eventually went on 2 big playoff runs and the quality of the draft classes erorded dramatically once he left the building. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, I mean he made plenty of mistakes and I'm not saying that there wasn't an argument for him being fired. But he built most of the team that eventually went on 2 big playoff runs and the quality of the draft classes erorded dramatically once he left the building. 

The team that went on 2 playoff runs wasn't led by Mangini who also got rid of Mawae, Abe and another lineman Pete Kendall.. It's funny Mangini lovers give him credit for all the good picks but it was Tanny that drafted the Ghost..LOL

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

The team that went on 2 playoff runs wasn't led by Mangini who also got rid of Mawae, Abe and another lineman Pete Kendall.. It's funny Mangini lovers give him credit for all the good picks but it was Tanny that drafted the Ghost..LOL

Again, you can criticize Mangini for all sorts of things, including some bad draft picks - but the fact remains that Tanny's drafts were drastically better with Mangini in the building than they were with Rex. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Well, he's failing at that. Miserably.

Week 1 - loss by 10

Week 2 - loss by 18

Week 3 - loss by 29

The gap is not closing. :-) 

He definitely is “resume fluffing”.

He actually “plays for the FG” while in the Red Zone, down by 3 TDs, while taking NO shots at the End Zone.  A la, who I thought was the worst HC I’d ever seen until Gase, Todd Bowles. The “offensive genius” playing for FGs in that situation.

I could care less how many games they’ve lost and will lose with Gase as coach.  Sam Darnold has been destroyed under his watch.  The ONLY thing that should have mattered to the organization.

i don’t care if Chris Johnson had never been to a football game, didn’t even know how football is played, just from a basic intelligence standpoint if you were him wouldn’t you stick your nose into the GMs office and tell him, “I’m the boss, this kid QB can be our future and I hear from people who know way more than I do that he has great potential, I want you to do everything under your power to surround this kid with talent so he might reach that potential”.

You can be rest assured none of that ever went down.  Instead all you see is the Jets loading up on more back up DTs hahaha.

Chris Johnson is way stupider than even his brother, who can’t get back soon enough, because that might move the Jets up to being a 5 win per year team.

Worst organization in ANY professional sport, including Dolan’s Knicks.

Jets should have their pro card pulled.

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Again, you can criticize Mangini for all sorts of things, including some bad draft picks - but the fact remains that Tanny's drafts were drastically better with Mangini in the building than they were with Rex. 

I guess that's why so many teams in the league are dying to hire Mangini as their GM..

Gase doesn’t do that sh*t. He has zero foresight. He literally waits until the last play fails to figure out what the next play will be, takes too long to decide and spends far too much time in his head - rather than being present for his team and young QB.

Also, Mangini was the last coach we’ve had that actually had a functional partnership with the GM, had a strategy in terms of what types of players he wanted and how he wanted his roster built. His short-comings were experience as a coach, to the point he got rid of good players because they weren’t scheme fits (you always find a way to scheme to the talent you have, if you’ve got the chops as a coach) and his biggest sin was trusting Favre.