Mangini vs Gase

AFJF

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Also, Mangini was the last coach we’ve had that actually had a functional partnership with the GM, had a strategy in terms of what types of players he wanted and how he wanted his roster built. His short-comings were experience as a coach, to the point he got rid of good players because they weren’t scheme fits (you always find a way to scheme to the talent you have, if you’ve got the chops as a coach) and his biggest sin was trusting Favre.

And he was more rigid than a prostate exam and could never overcome that. He probably was capped by it. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

They forced Farve??? So that's why Mangini named his son after him..?

I would say forced. Mangini's first year was not a total failure. He looked competent and his team seemed to follow his lead. So often a young HC is linked with a young QB in hopes to grow together. At the time I believe we had just drafted Kellen Clemens in the second round. Do you think a second year HC with such little experience would rather have an aging HOFer at QB with strong speculation of being a diva or a young QB that he could control in his own image with no fear of being thrown under the bus for not giving into whatever demands?.  There was speculation that there were rules for the team and then rules for Favre. So yes, I think Favre was forced on Mangini because the owner put selling jerseys in front of building a championship. I seriously do not think that he named his son after Bret Farve  

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

By your own admission you said mangini continued to run as a means to get the oline run blocker better in the future. What makes you think gase isn’t doing the same? The game isn’t all about passing.  The jets oline isn’t run or pass blocking very well so they need more reps doing one or the other.  The only issue I see is they currently have too many 3 and outs.  To get consistency they at least need to keep the ball for more than 3 downs.

im no gase lover but let’s stop trying to find issues or state issues that may not be there.

Yeah, at this point it should be more about developing Alex Lewis and Frank Gore than Sam Darnold.

33 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I would say forced. Mangini's first year was not a total failure. He looked competent and his team seemed to follow his lead. So often a young HC is linked with a young QB in hopes to grow together. At the time I believe we had just drafted Kellen Clemens in the second round. Do you think a second year HC with such little experience would rather have an aging HOFer at QB with strong speculation of being a diva or a young QB that he could control in his own image with no fear of being thrown under the bus for not giving into whatever demands?.  There was speculation that there were rules for the team and then rules for Favre. So yes, I think Favre was forced on Mangini because the owner put selling jerseys in front of building a championship. I seriously do not think that he named his son after Bret Farve  

I could post many articles but you have your mind made up 

• Upvote 1

For all of Magini's problems that was the last time the team had a clear strategy for the roster that was fairly well executed. Rex/Tannenbaum took what was built before and maxed out the credit card trying to build a SB team. The bill came due and the team was applying bandaids until Tannenbaum was dumped. Idzik continued to apply bandaids while the Tannenbaum contracts rolled off and there was no direction to rebuilding the roster except get more defense. Macc had some kind of plan but the execution was horrific and Bowles didn't seem to have any clue what to do with it. It's been more than a decade since we've had a front office put together a plan and execute on it. So that sucks. 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, at this point it should be more about developing Alex Lewis and Frank Gore than Sam Darnold.

I sense the sarcasm.  You forgot about bellage and Perine. Perine looks like he could be pretty good.  In any event this oline still needs reps because they don’t run or pass block very well.  Why run? Because maybe it keeps darnold from getting flattened.

3 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

For all of Magini's problems that was the last time the team had a clear strategy for the roster that was fairly well executed. Rex/Tannenbaum took what was built before and maxed out the credit card trying to build a SB team. The bill came due and the team was applying bandaids until Tannenbaum was dumped. Idzik continued to apply bandaids while the Tannenbaum contracts rolled off and there was no direction to rebuilding the roster except get more defense. Macc had some kind of plan but the execution was horrific and Bowles didn't seem to have any clue what to do with it. It's been more than a decade since we've had a front office put together a plan and execute on it. So that sucks. 

What was Mac's plan?  Honestly, I really don't know.

Unless it was to build a defense up the middle. 

That's the only plan he seemed to try to execute and that plan would be inexplicably bad anytime past 1985.

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What was Mac's plan?  Honestly, I really don't know.

Unless it was to build a defense up the middle. 

That's the only plan he seemed to try to execute and that plan would be inexplicably bad anytime past 1985.

He said at one point he wanted to build a team like the Steelers where they build through the draft at non-skill positions and let those players go when they want big contracts because they have the depth to put another good player at starter which allows them to pay for the skill positions. The problem is he was awful at drafting and the team didn't have skill players to pay.

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

He said at one point he wanted to build a team like the Steelers where they build through the draft at non-skill positions and let those players go when they want big contracts because they have the depth to put another good player at starter which allows them to pay for the skill positions. The problem is he was awful at drafting and the team didn't have skill players to pay.

Mac was the worst talent evaluator ever

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, Savage69 said:

I could post many articles but you have your mind made up 

For all the ballwashing Mangini gets on this site the supposed roster “he built” failed to even make the playoffs with a hall of fame QB

he was a lousy defensive playcaller.  He brought 0 pressure and would immediately panic and go into a zone umbrella.  That’s how scrubs like Matt Cassell and Jamarcus Russell has their best games ever facing Mangini

• Upvote 1