Ravens sign 2017 1st round CB Marlon Humphrey to 5-year contract extension worth $97.5M

Suck it, Jamal.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-sign-cb-marlon-humphrey-to-5-year-contract-extension

Ravens sign CB Marlon Humphrey to 5-year contract extension worth $97.5M

Published: Oct 01, 2020 at 09:14 AM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Marlon Humphrey will be in Baltimore for the long-haul.

The Ravens and the star corner agreed to a five-year extension worth $97.5 million per year, with $66 million in total guarantees, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

The deal ties Humphrey, who had two years remaining on his rookie contract, to Baltimore for the next seven seasons.

"It was great to sign that deal and know that for the next couple years you're going to be a Raven," Humphrey told reporters. "... Since I've been here, I've really enjoyed this organization, this city, these fans, the people around me. So it was really big for me to stay a Raven."

The 6-foot corner is key to the Ravens' stalwart defense. Humphrey's ability to lock down wideouts on an island allows defensive coordinator Wink Martindale to deploy elaborate pressures.

Humphrey has become one of the top covermen in the NFL, earning All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors in 2019.

"Marlon is the type of player we want in Baltimore," Ravens executive vice president and general manager Eric DeCosta said in a statement. "Besides his obvious talents as a playmaking corner, he's a passionate competitor who craves winning. Marlon has been a stalwart in our community, and we are excited that he's going to remain with us for seven seasons.

The $19.5 million per year in new money slots Humphrey's contract right behind Jalen Ramsey, who recently signed a $20 million per year offer, and ahead of Tre'Davious White ($17.25 million per). The deal signifies Humphrey's standing as one of the top corners in the entire NFL, a recognition he deserved based on his play the past several seasons.

With Humphrey getting his bag of cash a year early, the trend continues for corners getting paid as the league begins compensating vital cover men closer to the ranks of high-priced pass rushers.

Part of me wonders if parts of the FA conservatism was a strategy to avoid sinking salary into a messed up, lost year. Many of the contracts shake out to be 1-year in nature. No big commitments, if I recall. 

Thats an approach I could at least understand to this past offseason. A couple of bandaids and then really prepare for next years offseason???

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Not every NFL Signing has to involve Jamal Adams.

Just say'in.

Jets fans notoriously have to find a way to make every league happening about themselves.

Nothing more charming than framing everything as manically depressing self-centeredness.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Jets fans notoriously have to find a way to make every league happening about themselves.

Nothing more charming than framing everything as manically depressing self-centeredness.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Ooooh GIF

ur right I shuld talk bout how this affects the BAL 2ndary on a Jets bored

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

So what you're saying is, good teams pay their best players. 

Filed and understood.

* Good teams pay good players at premium positions who aren't actively shooting their way out of town.

Unless I missed Marlon Humphrey's tweet where he said he wanted to play for Dallas instead of Baltimore, I don't think Adams is in any part of that category.

Meanwhile, Seattle is a good team.  It'll sure be interesting to see if they decide Jamal is worth the trouble and the money.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm sorry, did I hear you say "Anderson", why YES Robbie Anderson.......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* Good teams pay good players at premium positions who aren't actively shooting their way out of town.

Unless I missed Marlon Humphrey's tweet where he said he wanted to play for Dallas instead of Baltimore, I don't think Adams is in any part of that category.

When did Adams start doing that stuff, remind me. Almost like it lines up with this current regime that is quickly building a resume of having bad player relations.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1st round pick from the same draft class as Adams.  Add it to the list of guys from the same class who have gotten paid.

I guess beyond both of them being human beings, the above "links" them.....I guess.  Maybe.

Moving on.....

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

When did Adams start doing that stuff, remind me. Almost like it lines up with this current regime that is quickly building a resume of having bad player relations.

When he called Ryan Clark at the trade deadline saying he'd "love" to play for Dallas, tweeted a picture of a Dallas Stars tattoo, and was heard yelling "I'm trying" when a fan asked him when he's coming to the Cowboys.  

Oh, and there was also the time he demanded to Joe Douglas that he wanted to be traded.  

Other than all that.....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When he called Ryan Clark at the trade deadline saying he'd "love" to play for Dallas, tweeted a picture of a Dallas Stars tattoo, and was heard yelling "I'm trying" when a fan asked him when he's coming to the Cowboys.  

Oh, and there was also the time he demanded to Joe Douglas that he wanted to be traded.  

Other than all that.....

Checkmate. 

Love it. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Other than all that.....

I didnt ask for a list of things he did. I asked when he started doing said things. Or put another way, why did those things start?

I too would shoot my way out of a sinking ship.

42 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

So what you're saying is, good teams pay their best players. 

Filed and understood.

No good teams pay their best players that are of a premium position and are difference makers.

I mean Seattle should be giving jamal a fat extension seeing how he has elevated their defense to lofty heights.

• Upvote 1