Do we lose Joe Douglas after season with Gase power struggle?

Follow the money.  

Too expensive. 

if the jets pick high enough to get a new qb, they get a new coach. 

If Sam recovers somewhat and the Jets pick lower, I can see the Jets sticking with Sam and Gase.   They save millions that way, and JD can draft who he wants. 

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Gase/Douglas share power. For owners to evaluate Gase early is season means Douglas went to owners to say Gase has to go. If Johnsons back off I fear we eventually lose Douglas over this as Gase obviously in over his head

I don't follow the logic of the bolded sentence. 

The owner is "evaluating" Gase because the team has been a national embarrassment. Their ineptitude is hard to miss. 

We have no idea what Douglas has said to Chris Johnson about Gase, but if he is smart, he has gently let Mr. Johnson know that this guy is not the answer. 

48 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The owner is "evaluating" Gase because the team has been a national embarrassment. Their ineptitude is hard to miss. 

We have no idea what Douglas has said to Chris Johnson about Gase, but if his is smart, he has gently let Mr. Johnson know that this guy is not the answer. 

He can even be more tactful and say for some reason the players are not responding to Gase and that is unlikely to change. 

Question for those who believe Joe Douglas should get to hire his own HC that fits his approach and the types of players he drafts - Has Joe Douglas ever hired a coach before?  Is that even something he is capable of doing?  I say this because hiring a HC is a lot more than finding someone who can utilize the kinds of players you draft.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Question for those who believe Joe Douglas should get to hire his own HC that fits his approach and the types of players he drafts - Has Joe Douglas ever hired a coach before?  Is that even something he is capable of doing?  I say this because hiring a HC is a lot more than finding someone who can utilize the kinds of players you draft.

Not sure what you’re getting at here. Douglas has never drafted a player before either. 

• Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The alternative is the johnson brothers doing the hiring.  I'd rather have a stuffed cat hire the next coach  than the johsnons so I'll be fine with Douglas making a decisions.

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How can a first time GM ever have experience hiring a new head coach? 

That's like questioning a new GMs capacity to run a draft room or questioning a new head coaches capacity to hire assistants. 

It's just assumed they can based on the fact that you hired the man in the first place otherwise he shouldn't have been hired.

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not sure what you’re getting at here. Douglas has never drafted a player before either. 

Correct.  But he's been a player scout and personnel guy his entire career I believe.  I trust more in his ability to differentiate between a good college player and a great one.  I think he knows how to evaluate players and project what they'll be in the NFL.

But that's a different skill than evaluating HC's in my opinion.  Has Joe spent years understanding and evaluating what qualities a HC needs to have to be successful?  Could he answer the question, for example, will Kliff Kingsbury be a better HC than Matt Rhule the same way he answered the question that Mekhi Becton would be better to draft than Tristan Wirfs?

It may seem like a similar capability and we're talking about hiring football people like players or coaches.  But there's a nuance there.  Just because someone is a doctor doesn't necessarily mean they can perform surgery, even if they're both in the medical field.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We have no idea what Douglas has said to Chris Johnson about Gase, but if he is smart, he has gently let Mr. Johnson know that this guy is not the answer. 

based on Johnsons past I highly doubt they would instigate this so early is season as it implies bad coaching. Then to fumble it by keeping him after 2 horror shows. What more was evaluation going to tell them that they didnt know about injuries, talent etc except can he get team prepared. Penalties and discipline is sad. CJ would rather be chaong snow in Europe than evaluating, trust me

Article BEFORE Gase called a play for Jets after he was hired. I guess the genius has bad luck as we suffer same fate as Miami and Tannehill now efficient QB

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837130-stats-dont-lie-adam-gase-is-the-wrong-coach-for-sam-darnold-and-the-jets