SouthernJet

Do we lose Joe Douglas after season with Gase power struggle?

Question for those who believe Joe Douglas should get to hire his own HC that fits his approach and the types of players he drafts - Has Joe Douglas ever hired a coach before?  Is that even something he is capable of doing?  I say this because hiring a HC is a lot more than finding someone who can utilize the kinds of players you draft.

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not sure what you’re getting at here. Douglas has never drafted a player before either. 

Correct.  But he's been a player scout and personnel guy his entire career I believe.  I trust more in his ability to differentiate between a good college player and a great one.  I think he knows how to evaluate players and project what they'll be in the NFL.

But that's a different skill than evaluating HC's in my opinion.  Has Joe spent years understanding and evaluating what qualities a HC needs to have to be successful?  Could he answer the question, for example, will Kliff Kingsbury be a better HC than Matt Rhule the same way he answered the question that Mekhi Becton would be better to draft than Tristan Wirfs?

It may seem like a similar capability and we're talking about hiring football people like players or coaches.  But there's a nuance there.  Just because someone is a doctor doesn't necessarily mean they can perform surgery, even if they're both in the medical field.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company