If you were Trevor Lawrence, would you play for the Jets?

jgb

WWTD?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Trevor, would you come play here?

• Yeah, I already said I was leaving school and it would be dishonorable to reverse course.
    • HELL NO. I will use every possible maneuver I can to not play for this team. Need to consider my future,

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You're missing one excessively important point.  The mindset of the guys with the level of talent to be getting drafted that high never has them believing for a moment that they are so reliant on the team for their success.  We all know full well that move came from Archie, not Eli.

I am missing nothing. If I was Lawrence, it is what I would do--which is the concept of the thread. I also happen to believe each week, it becomes more likely that Trevor does not play for the NY Jets if they secure the top pick.

Is it a guarantee? Nope. But what is?

If you are a Jets fan and not nervous about it being a possibility, well, lucky you, I guess.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Uh huh. I think you (a) underestimate just how coveted Lawrence is and (b) just how atrocious the Jets reputation is amongst those who plan to depend on this sport for their livelihood.

People with options--and this is coaches, FAs, everyone--do not choose the Jets. Trevor Lawrence will have more leverage than any prospect in a very long time.

Coaches, front office types, and FA's almost always have legitimate options, all of which will result in them making money somewhere.  College players have ZERO leverage and only two options, and one of them doesn't involve cashing in on a 40 million dollar contact.  There is not one agent or handler on this planet that would advise Lawrence to go back to school if he's a guaranteed #1 pick and instant millionaire 40 times over.  No f'n way.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

besides the mannings who are already rich. no one has these kinda story’s.  Great QB prospects go to bad teams every year... Matt stafford went to 0-16 lions . 

So you're saying 0% chance?

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Coaches, front office types, and FA's almost always have legitimate options, all of which will result in them making money somewhere.  College players have ZERO leverage and only two options, and one of them doesn't involve cashing in on a 40 million dollar contact.  There is not one agent or handler on this planet that would advise Lawrence to go back to school if he's a guaranteed #1 pick and instant millionaire 40 times over.  No f'n way.

He has options. Elway and Peyton -- the two most highly touted QBs coming out of school in my lifetime pulled shenanigans. Lawrence is approaching that level of hype. If you can write your own ticket you don't pick the broken down Greyhound.

Plus--and this I admit is a gut feeling--Lawrence is about as New York as a Martian. He's got small market or Southern team written all over him.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I am missing nothing. If I was Lawrence, it is what I would do--which is the concept of the thread. I also happen to believe each week, it becomes more likely that Trevor does not play for the NY Jets if they secure the top pick.

If you are a Jets fan and not nervous about it being a possibility, well, lucky you, I guess.

Using a outlier situation.  Doesn’t make me nervous at all. Who ever gets the #1 pick are gonna take trevor and he is gonna play for them .. 

Just now, jgb said:

He has options. Elway and Peyton -- the two most highly touted QBs coming out of school in my lifetime pulled shenanigans. Lawrence is approaching that level of hype. If you can write your own ticket you don't pick the broken down Greyhound.

We're living in a different era.  The guaranteed money is too massive to pass up, and makes where you play irrelevant.  

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

We're living in a different era.  The guaranteed money is too massive to pass up, and makes where you play irrelevant.  

Not true, my good man. The biggest rookie contract of all time was Sam Bradford in 2010. And that doesn't even account for inflation.

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hmm, continue banging co-eds at an historic pace and get treated like a god for one more year....

OR...

Come to a place where my team literally runs out of Offensive Tackles during a game, the chance of getting Mono actually INCREASES, and even the pumped in crowd noise is booing me....

Tough call.

In the pre rookie wage scale days, Ryan Leaf could get eff you money before ever stepping on the field. Now, it's all about that second contract. That is where the generational wealth is earned. If I had options--which Lawrence does right now--I would not go to a team with terrible ownership--which everyone here except SAR concedes--or do anything that has a likely detrimental effect on the value of that second contract.

So we are left with hoping Lawrence is smart enough to play the most complex position in the sporting world at a transcendent level but not smart enough hire skilled agents. That is a razor thin margin.

Can I guarantee he won't play here if we have the top pick? No. But does it concern me? Absolutely. I don't see how it cannot.

Not true, my good man. The biggest rookie contract of all time was Sam Bradford in 2010. And that doesn't even account for inflation.

If you think Lawrence will pass up a 40 million dollar contact to avoid playing for the Jets then I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Have a great night sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If you think Lawrence will pass up a 40 million dollar contact to avoid playing for the Jets then I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Have a great night sir. emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice you didn't address the substance of my rebuttal :) 

And I'm not saying I predict here and now he will refuse to play for us. I am saying it is a legitimate concern with a not-insignificant chance of happening. We'd be wise to brace for it.

Goodnight.

33 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You're missing one excessively important point.  The mindset of the guys with the level of talent to be getting drafted that high never has them believing for a moment that they are so reliant on the team for their success.  We all know full well that move came from Archie, not Eli.

This is an excellent point

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Why would he? So that Connor McDermott can protect his blind side and Chris Herndon can drop his passes?

This organization is toxic. It’s a career-killing abyss for players and coaches alike.

Sadly, we thought the butt fumble was the low point. Not even close. 

It’s a place to score that Last contract and pretend you’re trying while banking your money that the Johnsons are obliged to pay you, and those stingy guys don’t want to pay but they will to some extent because they are forced to create a 53 man roster for an Asset that never stops increasing in value no matter how bad the product.

Owing a pro football team is actually the ONLY business the Johnsons could ever be in.  Success is not required.  Even being the very WORST, which the Jets are, carries no financial ramifications.

• Upvote 1

This will be the FINAL dagger in the heart for Jet fans. It’s bad enough that Darnold was destroyed. But to actually get the 1st pick with a prospect like Trevor Lawrence available and have him refuse to play here, will be the icing on the cake. We can’t even tank right because we are so horrible that no one will come here. 

• Upvote 1

Trevor could make it known that if the Jets do draft him he simply won’t sign with them and just sit out a year and he’ll re-enter the draft the following year.  The problem with that could be that the Jets will probably have the first pick in the draft again the following year.  

• Haha 1

bad options.  i think lawrence will see the jets fire gase and hire a new coach.  hopefully by draft time JD will have brought in AROB or JUJU and given him some weapons.  once they take lawrence 1st overall, they'll tell him that they're targeting etienne and will make him happy.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

There's a million other things to get nervous about with this stupid team before worrying about sky-is-falling theoreticals for 7 months from now.

If your expectation is for any top player to have the same mindset as a bunch of self-hating Jets fans, then the point still stands.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's a million other things to get nervous about with this stupid team before worrying about sky-is-falling theoreticals for 7 months from now.

If your expectation is for any top player to have the same mindset as a bunch of self-hating Jets fans, then the point still stands.

Gase is done. Darnold is a bust. We are going to lose between 13 and 16 games this season.  We have no guys entering FA that we want to keep. There is nothing between now and the draft that is worth worrying about. You know, a normal October for Jets fans :)

• Haha 2

Just now, jgb said:

What else is there to worry about? Gase is done. Darnold is a bust. We are going to lose between 13 and 16 games this season. There is nothing between now and the draft that is worth worrying about.

What is this...you're supposed to provide hope, not misery. Show me light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Haha 1