If you were Trevor Lawrence, would you play for the Jets?

jgb

WWTD?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Trevor, would you come play here?

• Yeah, I already said I was leaving school and it would be dishonorable to reverse course.
    • HELL NO. I will use every possible maneuver I can to not play for this team. Need to consider my future,

Of course....this is a silly question.

If you are good enough to be the #1 overall pick, that means you are going to the worst team in the league.  You should have a chip on your shoulder large enough to believe you can bring this team around.

If you don't think this way, you shouldn't be the first overall pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Gase is done. Darnold is a bust. We are going to lose between 13 and 16 games this season.  We have no guys entering FA that we want to keep. There is nothing between now and the draft that is worth worrying about. You know, a normal October for Jets fans :)

Well that "lose between 13 and 16 games this season" could be the first thing.  Would you really be even slightly surprised if we all had this debate, only to see the Jets win a few meaningless games to wrap up the season and never even have the opportunity to see what happens?

I also wouldn't doubt the possibility of the immeasurable stupidity of Chris Johnson keeping "Gase is done" from being any degree of a certainty.

• Upvote 1

this is silly. this kid is going to be the number 1 pick no matter what. the team with the number 1 pick was the worst team in the league. either way he is goin got the worst team in the league and he knows it. you don't stay in college when you are guaranteed to be the number 1 pick and risk getting hurt

• Upvote 1

no way in hell would I go to the jets if they had the pick. I would force a trade and make it known they suck ahead of time and that I dont want to be a jet. It is easy to talk about another man's future and say he should play for a scrub team that will destroy him.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

What is this...you're supposed to provide hope, not misery. Show me light at the end of the tunnel. 

It's 7 months to April.  By which time:

• We trade the #1 pick for a haul, or take TL if he wants to come here and/or we no longer believe in Darnold.
  • We hire an offensive coordinator and we hire a quarterback coach; this allows Gase to be just the HC, something he's good at.
  • We hire a defensive coordinator, someone who isn't a spectacular one-and-done burnout like Gregg Williams always is.
  • We use the massive haul of picks from the Douglas trades plus the ones we potentially get for Lawrence and reload the WR, RB, and OL deficiencies.
  • We use the massive amount of free cap space that Douglas has accumulated to bring in CB's and a pass rusher.

There's your light at the end of the tunnel.  New coordinators, new quarterback (potentially), new skill players.  Now, is Joe Douglas good?  Can he find the right talent with the right personalities to play here?  That's the wildcard here.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No.  

Jets Fans desperately buying into the "Tank for Trevor" fantasy are going to be very let down.  But what else do they have at this point?

like Knick fans thinking lebron was coming to NY then KD now ABC

Just now, SAR I said:

It's 7 months to April.  By which time:

• We trade the #1 pick for a haul, or take TL if he wants to come here and/or we no longer believe in Darnold.
  • We hire an offensive coordinator and we hire a quarterback coach; this allows Gase to be just the HC, something he's good at.
  • We hire a defensive coordinator, someone who isn't a spectacular one-and-done burnout like Gregg Williams always is.
  • We use the massive haul of picks from the Douglas trades plus the ones we potentially get for Lawrence and reload the WR, RB, and OL deficiencies.
  • We use the massive amount of free cap space that Douglas has accumulated to bring in CB's and a pass rusher.

There's your light at the end of the tunnel.  New coordinators, new quarterback (potentially), new skill players.  Now, is Joe Douglas good?  Can he find the right talent with the right personalities to play here?  That's the wildcard here.

SAR I

you and I must have VERY different definitions of good and winner-

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

you and I must have VERY different definitions of good and winner-

Head Coach
Offensive Coordinator
Quarterback Coach

That's too much for Adam Gase to handle.  

No need to summarize, but Gase showed a lot of head coaching ability during the 6-2 run last year, and even this year in continued hard times the offense is playing hard, they haven't quit on him, they are doing what they can to succeed with very limited skill.  The team is together, they are acting professionally.  They just aren't any good.  Idzik and Maccagnan killed us, no sugar coating it.

So lets hire a great OC and a great QB coach and let Adam focus only on being a head coach.  Like 90% of the other teams in the NFL.  I think through this mess we made an accidental discovery and its eventually going to make this all worthwhile.  Adam Gase is a good NFL head coach and has strong upside when he relinquishes his overloaded responsibilities.  Just about the most important position in the entire organization.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3

54 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Well that "lose between 13 and 16 games this season" could be the first thing.  Would you really be even slightly surprised if we all had this debate, only to see the Jets win a few meaningless games to wrap up the season and never even have the opportunity to see what happens?

I also wouldn't doubt the possibility of the immeasurable stupidity of Chris Johnson keeping "Gase is done" from being any degree of a certainty.

Thanks now I have more to worry about ? 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

like Knick fans thinking lebron was coming to NY then KD now ABC

but this has nothing to do with a FA signing . This a draft if the jet lose the #1 so it be  it. there still more than likely to draft one of the other QBsin the top 3 ..  but the idea that trevor is gonna force anything is comical at best. People literally tried to use this narrative for borrow last year only for him to come out say he will play for anyone that pays him.  These kids don't care about your past team history. 

10 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Yes.

The situation might not be that bad. Gase will be long gone. Coaches will want to work with Lawrence. We’d have another 1st and the 33rd pick to get potential starters as well as having the cap room to bring talent in.

It’s up to Douglas really to not make the mistakes Mac made with Sam.

Exactly. If the Jets have the first pick this job becomes one that a lot of coaches will want. 
Lawrence, Bekton, Seattle’s #1s, cap space.

11 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

He'll have 40 million reasons to play for whoever drafts him.  If his handlers have any brains whatsoever, they will not let him put a lottery ticket in his pocket and not cash it in for a year.  Asinine.   

Lawrence has more than enough leverage to force his way on to a different team. 

Elway did it.  Eli did it.  Bo did it.

And no... he doesnt have another sport to threaten with, but Eli didnt either. 

If he says he will refuse to sign with the Jets... what are they gonna do?  Use the #1 pick on a guy that wont play for them?

Unless the Jets can convince a well respected coach to take on this mess... TL will play elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Lawrence has more than enough leverage to force his way on to a different team. 
Elway did it.  Eli did it.  Bo did it.
And no... he doesnt have another sport to threaten with, but Eli didnt either. 
If he says he will refuse to sign with the Jets... what are they gonna do?  Use the #1 pick on a guy that wont play for them?
Unless the Jets can convince a well respected coach to take on this mess... TL will play elsewhere.

Using two outliers to the norm over a 30 year period is not a convincing argument in my opinion. Lawrence will be a wealthy man and play wherever he is drafted. His only leverage is to stay in school an extra year and as I said before, there isn’t an agent alive that will tell him to do that and sit on an uncashed lottery ticket for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I wouldn't. If you look at what the Jets have done to Darnold I wouldn't even consider playing for the Jets if I'm Lawrence. I'd try to pull strings and get myself to the Panthers.

That said we could use the promise of Lawrence and all of our draft picks to bring in a good coach, that could change things. Douglas will likely have to sell him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Last night was supposed to be one of those meaningless wins.  After failing to beat a team that was somehow even worse than us, I'm finding it very hard to believe there are 4+ wins to be found in these final 12 games.

But the Jets have sucked at sucking for so long, I'm sure they can surprise me.

This is why you have to fire Gase ASAP and get control of the public perception. The media is going to run with the Dysfunction! headline as long as Gase is here and it kills the brand. Fire Gase, promote Williams, hire a nominal, respected VP of Operations (Ozzie Newsome?) to be the public face, and get Sam to a point where he at least looks functional. Do this all within the next four weeks. Gase, as bad as he is as the coach, has set the org up for a clean reset, but he’s filled that role and now he’s dead weight. Cash him out and move on. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is why you have to fire Gase ASAP and get control of the public perception. The media is going to run with the Dysfunction! headline as long as Gase is here and it kills the brand. Fire Gase, promote Williams, hire a nominal, respected VP of Operations (Ozzie Newsome?) to be the public face, and get Sam to a point where he at least looks functional. Do this all within the next four weeks. Gase, as bad as he is as the coach, has set the org up for a clean reset, but he’s filled that role and now he’s dead weight. Cash him out and move on. 

Yeah but Gregg Williams is a mad man, he does not scream "control of the public perception."

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yeah but Gregg Williams is a mad man, he does not scream "control of the public perception."

Gregg will have the team ready to compete on game days, even if they lose. If you’re trying to attract coaches and players, the games are your advertisements. They simply aren’t showing up to play for Gase at this point and it’s a bad product. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Last night was supposed to be one of those meaningless wins.  After failing to beat a team that was somehow even worse than us, I'm finding it very hard to believe there are 4+ wins to be found in these final 12 games.

But the Jets have sucked at sucking for so long, I'm sure they can surprise me.

Losing a game against a first time starter despite a 3-0 turnover ratio in your favor must've set some sort of record lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Losing a game against a first time starter despite a 3-0 turnover ratio in your favor must've set some sort of record lol

That was some "team of destiny" kind of stuff right there.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in new and creative ways is exactly what you expect out of an historically bad team.

0-16 is far more of a possibility for me than I could have imagined prior to last night's game.  So we've got that going for us!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Using two outliers to the norm over a 30 year period is not a convincing argument in my opinion. Lawrence will be a wealthy man and play wherever he is drafted. His only leverage is to stay in school an extra year and as I said before, there isn’t an agent alive that will tell him to do that and sit on an uncashed lottery ticket for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Luck had the same hype as Lawrence and the Colts were awful 2-14 when they drafted him.  Went 11-5 his rookie season...

Luck did play for the Colts.  And they took years off his career by getting him hit several times a game.  They sucked the joy out of football for him.  

Lawrence's agent is paid to look out for his client's best interest... and that is to not sign with the Jets.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was some "team of destiny" kind of stuff right there.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in new and creative ways is exactly what you expect out of an historically bad team.

0-16 is far more of a possibility for me than I could have imagined prior to last night's game.  So we've got that going for us!

You know it's actually the game that told us the most about Darnold in his career. This was the type of game that a QB with some hidden greatness steps up to shut the doubters down.

Despite being gifted points and 3 TOs, really the only thing I can say about Darnold last night is that he wasn't the main reason we lost. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

You know it's actually the game that told us the most about Darnold in his career. This was the type of game that a QB with some hidden greatness steps up to shut the doubters down.

Despite being gifted points and 3 TOs, really the only thing I can say about Darnold last night is that he wasn't the main reason we lost. 

Just like usual.  He's very rarely the best (or top 3) OR worst (or bottom 3) player on the field.  That's what we call average, at best.  

You need better than "average at best" at QB.  When the best you can say about the guy is "he wasn't the problem tonight", then he's also not a solution, either.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would agree with this if it were later in the year, but 0-4 is just soooo far away from 0-16 and the NFL season is so deceptive in that it really is a marathon, not a sprint. A lot changes over the course of the season and I just think this team will win a game or two nobody expects to win.