Jump to content

If you were Trevor Lawrence, would you play for the Jets?


jgb

WWTD?  

110 members have voted

  1. 1. If you were Trevor, would you come play here?

    • Yeah, I already said I was leaving school and it would be dishonorable to reverse course.
    • HELL NO. I will use every possible maneuver I can to not play for this team. Need to consider my future,


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would agree with this if it were later in the year, but 0-4 is just soooo far away from 0-16 and the NFL season is so deceptive in that it really is a marathon, not a sprint. A lot changes over the course of the season and I just think this team will win a game or two nobody expects to win. 

A game or 2, sure.  I merely said 0-16 is a possibility, not a certainty.  I didn't think that 0-16 would be in the realm of possibility before last night's game.  Especially since I picked the Jets to win last night.

That also means I think 1-15 or 2-14 has a fairly high likelihood.  That would hopefully be good enough to get us picking # 1.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please. You people are dumb as hell. If you believe in yourself as the next great generational talent at QB, there is absolutely no better stage to play on then New York. If he comes to the Jets and comes through as a star, he will be the biggest sports star on the planet for years to come. He'd surpass Jeter/Messier/Ewing or whatever other recent NY sports figure you can think of by a mile.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Please. You people are dumb as hell. If you believe in yourself as the next great generational talent at QB, there is absolutely no better stage to play on then New York. If he comes to the Jets and comes through as a star, he will be the biggest sports star on the planet for years to come. He'd surpass Jeter/Messier/Ewing or whatever other recent NY sports figure you can think of by a mile.

nope I would want to have a good gm a good coach and a good surrounding cast of weapons.

if you put mahomes on our team he would not look the same by any stretch of the imagination 

he throws the deep bomb that hill would get and overthrows  our wr by 20 yards

he runs a great te screen and his wr drops the ball or ducks 

he pitches the ball to the rb and his feet are like stones and struggles to get a yard and falls down

then he goes into shot gun and by the time the ball hits his hands he is  slammed to the ground by the opposing DE

no elite player wants to be coached by garbage and play with garbage

p.s mahomes is a generational star and I bet if he had the chance to go to Jets and leave everything he has there  or put his hand in a blender and stay in KC I suspect he would be going by the name one hand mahomes going forward.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The neuroticism of this place has reached a fever pitch. I will be sending you all vials of haldol (antipsychotic) shortly. 

Look Lawrence could pull a stunt to not come here. But it's unlikely. The fact that even remains a possibility at all is to your guys' point a testament to how badly this team has been run over the decade.

But this idea that with a new head coach and additional other picks that we aren't more appealing than say Jax is disingenuous at best. The entire medical staff should be replaced too. @jetstream23 joked about it, but I would seriously be up for fixing it lol. Bringing a single NFL staff into the 21st century of medicine and not slaughtering these guys ( @bitonti) would be a rewarding experience. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, kmnj said:

nope I would want to have a good gm a good coach and a good surrounding cast of weapons.

if you put mahomes on our team he would not look the same by any stretch of the imagination 

he throws the deep bomb that hill would get and overthrows  our wr by 20 yards

he runs a great te screen and his wr drops the ball or ducks 

he pitches the ball to the rb and his feet are like stones and struggles to get a yard and falls down

then he goes into shot gun and by the time the ball hits his hands he is  slammed to the ground by the opposing DE

no elite player wants to be coached by garbage and play with garbage

p.s mahomes is a generational star and I bet if he had the chance to go to Jets and leave everything he has there  or put his hand in a blender and stay in KC I suspect he would be going by the name one hand mahomes going forward.

 

 

This is how a coward thinks. If you believe in yourself, you play by the rules of the system and you help make change. Bad teams draft high. That's how it works. If he stays in school, he not only risks injury before payday or a drop in draft stock, but if he doesn't - he still gets drafted by a bad team. 

This team is not bad because of the current GM, and there will be a new coach in place next year. And don't underestimate how much a player values future earning potential and stardom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This is how a coward thinks. If you believe in yourself, you play by the rules of the system and you help make change. Bad teams draft high. That's how it works. If he stays in school, he not only risks injury before payday or a drop in draft stock, but if he doesn't - he still gets drafted by a bad team. 

This team is not bad because of the current GM, and there will be a new coach in place next year. And don't underestimate how much a player values future earning potential and stardom.

no that is how a smart person thinks-you set yourself up to succeed give yourself the best chance to win

there are bad teams and there are bad organizations .... jets are both

as far as the bolded goes once again I will use mahomes as an example-he is the highest paid player in football and the games biggest star and is all over tv as well with endorsements.

the number on thing players want to do is win-if you are good you are going to get paid no matter what

p.s any star college player these days have massive insurance policies to protect themselves.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheMo said:

The neuroticism of this place has reached a fever pitch. I will be sending you all vials of haldol (antipsychotic) shortly. 

Look Lawrence could pull a stunt to not come here. But it's unlikely. The fact that even remains a possibility at all is to your guys' point a testament to how badly this team has been run over the decade.

But this idea that with a new head coach and additional other picks that we aren't more appealing than say Jax is disingenuous at best. The entire medical staff should be replaced too. @jetstream23 joked about it, but I would seriously be up for fixing it lol. Bringing a single NFL staff into the 21st century of medicine and not slaughtering these guys ( @bitonti) would be a rewarding experience. 

Lawrence will either stay in college another year or do an Eli Manning

 

And that’s even if we fire Gase.  His handlers and his family will want nothing to do with the Johnsons.  Right now the Johnsons make James Dolan look good

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Lawrence will either stay in college another year or do an Eli Manning

 

And that’s even if we fire Gase.  His handlers and his family will want nothing to do with the Johnsons.  Right now the Johnsons make James Dolan look good

 

That you have absolute certainty in this conclusion is what makes me push back against you so forcefully. Lots of conjecture here and not based off a historic precedent other a few lone cases. Cindy's ownership is absolutely terrible as well yet we have not seen this happen to them.

I concede that your scenario is possible, albeit unlikely, which is a testament to the Johnson twits' stupidity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheMo said:

That you have absolute certainty in this conclusion is what makes me push back against you so forcefully. Lots of conjecture here and not based off a historic precedent other a few lone cases. Cindy's ownership is absolutely terrible as well yet we have not seen this happen to them.

I concede that your scenario is possible, albeit unlikely, which is a testament to the Johnson twits' stupidity.   

what will happen:

 

Chris Johnson waits til Black Monday to fire Gase 

 

Chris Johnson makes a dumb pick for next HC with input from Woody.  Probably someone meh like Bienemy

 

Lawrence does come out for the draft but demands a trade to New England or the Falcons.  Falcons are supposedly shopping Julio Jones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

no that is how a smart person thinks-you set yourself up to succeed give yourself the best chance to win

there are bad teams and there are bad organizations .... jets are both

as far as the bolded goes once again I will use mahomes as an example-he is the highest paid player in football and the games biggest star and is all over tv as well with endorsements.

the number on thing players want to do is win-if you are good you are going to get paid no matter what

p.s any star college player these days have massive insurance policies to protect themselves.

 

 

 

Lol. 

If you think those insurance policies are close to the earning potential of the #1 overall pick, you're as dumb as you are cowardly. 

Lawrence is an elite star. He believes in himself. He wants the spotlight. If he passes on the draft because the Jets, he's making a massive mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2020 at 3:23 AM, JetPotato said:

Lol. 

If you think those insurance policies are close to the earning potential of the #1 overall pick, you're as dumb as you are cowardly. 

Lawrence is an elite star. He believes in himself. He wants the spotlight. If he passes on the draft because the Jets, he's making a massive mistake.

Name a player who forced a trade at getting drafted who didn’t become a star? The players that can pull this stunt have LEVERAGE because they are such elite prospects. If Geno Smith said after the draft, “I don’t want to play for you guys,” everyone would be laughing their asses off and calling him an entitled ahole. If Lawrence does it, the media will be touting his strategic farsightedness.

If Jets have #1, someone in his camp—agent, former Clemson players already in NFL, financial planner—will raise this potential move. Will be interesting what he does.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the Jets are now universally recognized as the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.  Not even close.  That is on Woody and his "Mice and Men" brother Christopher. Premium college players should select agents according to their ability to get them out of playing for the Jets.  I would love to see an empty stadium at every home game next year with billboards, and planes flying overhead screaming for the Johnsons to sell.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

imo the only issue for lawrence coming to the jets is how he perceives the team to be structured to support his skils.  thus far it looks like douglas is making a firm commitment to improving the offense.  in this regard, it's all about timing.  teams need to have certain pieces in place before they bring the qb in.  sanchez was successful because he came into a pretty well established jet team. had he come into this team he would've done far worse than darnold. and this is why the giaints picking barkley is such a head scratcher.  there was no way that guy would perform to his ability with the team they put around him.  but the rb position is also less critical than qb so it's not so obvious with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TMAC said:

the Jets are now universally recognized as the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.  Not even close.  That is on Woody and his "Mice and Men" brother Christopher. Premium college players should select agents according to their ability to get them out of playing for the Jets.  I would love to see an empty stadium at every home game next year with billboards, and planes flying overhead screaming for the Johnsons to sell.  

Detroit Lions called.  They say hello.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well Peyton Manning didn’t want to play for us. Not sure where Lawrence is coming from or if he’ll try to control the team who takes him. 

Peyton and Eli were very much shaped by Archie. Archie's career was derailed by playing for the 'Aints -- he was pulling the strings to get his sons in better situations.

Most kids don't have that. Lawrence seems like the type not to shy away from a challenge so my guess is he wouldn't play hardball, but who knows. The real, obvious motivator to stay away from the Jets at this moment in time is what just happened with Sam Darnold. That's a tangible "they were all in on him, failed him, and dumped him after only three years" piece of evidence that would weigh on him.

My guess is that JD and the new coach (who is likely going to be someone thrilled to be coaching him) can convince him we're about to turn the corner here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well Peyton Manning didn’t want to play for us. Not sure where Lawrence is coming from or if he’ll try to control the team who takes him. 

No he did want to play for us and come out of college early.  Parcells wouldn’t promise to make him the first pick overall which would have affected his rookie contract

 

 

thx Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Peyton and Eli were very much shaped by Archie. Archie's career was derailed by playing for the 'Aints -- he was pulling the strings to get his sons in better situations.

Most kids don't have that. Lawrence seems like the type not to shy away from a challenge so my guess is he wouldn't play hardball, but who knows. The real, obvious motivator to stay away from the Jets at this moment in time is what just happened with Sam Darnold. That's a tangible "they were all in on him, failed him, and dumped him after only three years" piece of evidence that would weigh on him.

My guess is that JD and the new coach (who is likely going to be someone thrilled to be coaching him) can convince him we're about to turn the corner here.

There is no way Lawrence’s handlers will let him in the same building as Gase unless he’s playing for the opposing team

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arizona was a way worse situation than we are.  Their division is harder as well.  Murray went there when he got drafted #1.  Kingsbury went there to coach probably because he was gteed they would take Murray #1 who could run his offense.  Joe Douglas could easily hire a coach Trevor wants to play for.  Unfortunately it wont be Dabo Sweeney, but my point is there are things you can do to make the number one pick feel more comfortable on where he's going.  Head coach choice will be the most important followed by the OC.  Hopefully Joe Douglas is given control over the coach hire after Gase is fired later this year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...