My 5 Takeaways from Jets vs Broncos

10 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sonny's top 10 takeaways (in no particular order):

1) Van Roten is Rotten;

2) Why can't Gase lean on Bell like he does Gore;

3) Why do receivers seem surprised when Sam throws back shoulder;

4) It is getting late early for Herndon;

5) Does Gase's playbook have any outside runs? May I suggest he add a toss sweep for Perrine;

6) The tackling on the special team kick and punt coverage is pretty awful;

7) Q - I have no idea if he will ever put it all together. But, if, and when, this kid becomes a man. He will be a force to be reckoned with.  

? Sam is just not right. He vacillates between a QB who makes stupid risky throws and one that is gun shy and will not pull the trigger when he sees a WR with a step. I actually don't mind the occasional risky throw so long it is not inside either 30 yard line or late with a small lead. Sam needs to have swagger to be successful. Jesus, he is Dick Hammer's grandkid. He was born for this. I feel like the offensive coaching staff wants him to be a game manager. He's not. The Jets may give up on Darnold, but very little of this is his fault. He has not been given the tools for success and his guidance is against his mental makeup and abilities. Give him to any of the myriad of other coaches who understand how to play to a QBs strengths and he would be doing just fine. 

9) I was thinking of saying fire the CB coach because c'mon as a position group how can they all (with the exception of the veteran Poole) be this bad? Then I thought, who is the CB coach? So, I looked it up. Denard Wilson is doing double duty as the CB coach and PASSING GAME COORDINATOR. This leads me to conclude that Denard must have some compromising pictures of CJ, WJ and/or JD. Seriously, is there any coach in ALL of professional sports who is having worse results than the Jets' CB coach and Passing Game Coordinator;

10) Finally, as much as I dislike Gase because he is not a Head Coach, is uninspiring and is the worse play caller this side of Paul Hackett, it is unfair to judge him on the performance of the O with the #1 LT, #2 LT. #1 WR, #2 WR, and #1 RB all out with injuries. When they return and Gase still sucks, then we can fairly judge him as not only NOT a brilliant offensive mind, but actually a pretty terrible one. While the D poor performance is on GW, Gase is the HC and responsible for the WHOLE team even though he only pays attention to the game while the O is on the field and the penalties and sloppiness are on him as well. I remember reading once that the HC is the "Coach of the Coaches". Does anyone think Gase is "coaching" GW, or any other assistant on the team? And, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it, but you know how so many young QB's are criticized for their sideline body language. Does anyone watch Gase's body language on the sideline and feel confident that he knows what he's doing? Heck, it looks like he is completely unsure of everything, constantly revising his play sheet and looking panicky in the process.

Nice post Sonny! I agree about #4 especially! It was bizarre how they acted like they have never seen such a thing. 

As for Darnold, he has regressed for sure, but I believe that's more a product of the badness around him, less of some sort of inability to be a good QB. No more was this apparent than on the very first play of the game, a run no less. The LT Edoga literally made like he was in a lineman drill and shuffled with jazz hands past a defender, making contact with no one. That's not just a bad player making a bad play, it's an indication of poor scheme and/or coaching, and that's systemic.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Kid showed a lot of heart out there. He wasn't getting much help and basically put the team on his back.

patently false

Missed a ton of openguys...  his TD run was = as lucky as tghe JeudylongTD.

Easy toss on4th and 3 with game on line...   tales a sack, andthe selfsack??? 

get Sams ---- out your -----

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Desir was not all bad , even other than the ints.  He was right there on every play and got his hands on two of the tds, he just did not finish he play.

Little things make a difference in a game.  Desir tips one ball with his finger tips and the guy catchs the td  (this wsa not he jeudy pay).  Later in the game a very similar play for us where the denver guy tips it, out receiver cannot make the catch.

Also, we have a real problem at tight end.  Some of us on here were not sold on one guy coming off a terrible injury who just does not look the same at all and herndon who was unreliable last year.

Losing a 50/50 ball to Jeudy was not ideal, but Jeudy is going to be a monster. He's gonna win those battles against a lot of corners. 

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

patently false

Missed a ton of openguys...  his TD run was = as lucky as tghe JeudylongTD.

Easy toss on4th and 3 with game on line...   tales a sack, andthe selfsack??? 

get Sams ---- out your -----

Sam was not perfect, I'm not trying to claim that. IMO that game isn't close without Sam playing.

15 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

*Adam Gase* unfortunately would get the boot this week, I seriously question if that will happen mid season. Johnson's have never fired a coach mid season. Pro, means it's likely #1 pick for us - Negative, we likely don't see much from Sam unless he pretends not to hear the play calls like Aaron Rodgers.

That ass le Gase sent Becton and Darnold injured to the field with total disregard of their long term well-being.

• Post of the Week 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:05 PM, bla bla bla said:

For those who don't want to watch

- Special Teams doesn't suck. Ficken kicking in meh weather goes 5/5 | 16 points | Long of 54

- Penalties - 11 Penalties for 118 Yards. 6 Unnecessary Roughness calls. Most accepted penalties in a game this season in the NFL, beating out the Jets from Week 1.

- Injuries - Edoga, Becton, Jenkins, Austin, and Cager all went down with injury. On a positive note getting Crowder and Smith back was a nice boost. I was really impressed with Smith, kid has wheels.

- Pierre Desir may have had the best, worst game I've ever seen. Stat line looks good 2 INTs and a TD but dude got smoked all game. I did not expect him to play this poorly. Most his plays were not due to skill but moreso young QB mistakes.

- Sam Darnold - Kid showed a lot of heart out there. He wasn't getting much help and basically put the team on his back. Glad he's healthy, I understand the push people want to make for Trevor Lawrence but losing Sam to a broken collar bone would have sucked. I want Sam to be the guy so badly so we can turn our top pick into building a strong roster.

*Adam Gase* unfortunately would get the boot this week, I seriously question if that will happen mid season. Johnson's have never fired a coach mid season. Pro, means it's likely #1 pick for us - Negative, we likely don't see much from Sam unless he pretends not to hear the play calls like Aaron Rodgers.

The pro-Darnold argument summed up in one elegant half-sentence. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jgb said:

The pro-Darnold argument summed up in one elegant half-sentence. 

I'm not really anti Lawrence at all, I just would like to build the roster up. I think the biggest factor is the caliber of player Lawrence is plus a fresh rookie contract. We f*cked up everything with Sam. I really think if we ship him off to the Saints, Steelers, Colts etc he's gonna be a legit star and it will just be another thing to rip on the Jets for.

• Upvote 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30033151/sources-ron-rivera-told-dwayne-haskins-play-improve-qb-risks-being-benched

Haskins, the 15th overall pick in the 2019 draft, has completed 56.4 percent of his passes this season for 625 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions.

Darnold 59.4%    792 yds               3 td,4 INT

On 10/2/2020 at 8:38 AM, rangerous said:

Good points. I didn’t watch the game except in snippets but it was clear the only receiver darnold has faith in is crowder. And crowder didn’t disappoint.  The guy knows how to catch and battle with cbs.  Smith was a bright spot too.

imo the main problem is still oline play. Losing Becton didn’t help but this group has had trouble all season. They need to play better together. This takes time and reps.

as for the defense, there’s not much to say. The penalties indicate the group is undisciplined. Some penalties can be excused at times like off sides. But roughing penalties are rough. Those are pretty much due to a pass rush that is always a step late.  They need a pass rush and the blitzes they used last season aren’t working very well at the moment.  The secondary may have more physical talent but they are out of position and just not covering very well. Desir was picked on.

hard to see how they dig out of this hole. The really frustrating thing is that even though their schedule was supposed to be tough, I really haven’t seen any of the opponents being dominating teams.  They were all winnable just not by the way the jets are playing.

@Doggin94it posted that Darnold was 11-14 throwing to Crowder and Smith (the only 2 active WRs that he played with last year). I think not having confidence in his WRs is creating  a lot of the issues we see with Darnold. 

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

@Doggin94it posted that Darnold was 11-14 throwing to Crowder and Smith (the only 2 active WRs that he played with last year). I think not having confidence in his WRs is creating  a lot of the issues we see with Darnold. 

I agree. When the guy doesn’t get the time he’s going focus on the players he thinks will catch the ball.  Thus far crowder has been doing a really good job. If Herndon instilled the same confidence, darnold would be doing much better.

• Upvote 1

My takeaway is in a 32 team league with about 30 franchises that are clearly and obviously better run than the Jets we need to remind ourselves thet it’s just entertainment 

letting yourself fall into the “ next year’ trap only leads to misery 

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I agree. When the guy doesn’t get the time he’s going focus on the players he thinks will catch the ball.  Thus far crowder has been doing a really good job. If Herndon instilled the same confidence, darnold would be doing much better.

Right. It's hard to have confidence with Herndon when he is dropping everything thrown to him. 

On 10/2/2020 at 5:22 AM, JTJet said:

I counted 8 throws that were just misses. 6 dropped passes. 5 that NFL quality recievers would have caught with more effort/talent. 

Sam not absolved of blame, but last night was the best example yet of the lack of talent around this kid. When he was throwing to the two legit NFL talents we had (Crowder/Smith) they caught mostly everything, which makes the situation more obvious. 

Herndon alone had 2 drops and he is supposed to be a safety net. 

Aikman distinctly pointed out what most of us could see in game... Sam Darnold has no weapons or help.

- No running game. 

- No tight end. 

- 2 WRs that can make plays.

- O Line allowed sacks 6 times for 65 yards.

- Defense that allows 37 to Brett Rypien. 

This kid is doomed every single time he walks on the field.

1446199982_tenor(28).gif.262f0b06107533c1737b7fb52752b298.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Right. It's hard to have confidence with Herndon when he is dropping everything thrown to him. 

I know people are down on darnold but one thing I take away is that he was still pretty accurate with his throws.  The receivers just aren’t holding onto the ball or having alligator arms.