We all knew Gase would be a travesty. Why is Chris Johnson so deluded?

Why is Chris Johnson so deluded? It's simple economics. He is putting having to pay Gase (and Bowles) in front of the correct thing to do which is replacing Gase. Add that the billionaire owner put his foot in his mouth and called Gase an "Offensive Genius" and you have what you have. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like the Johnson's are prone to over correction.  I can't remember if it was during Bowles tenure or transitioning between the Idzik/Macc eras but the Jets were getting lots of heat online for being so unstable.  So then they try to show they are committed to their coaches/GMs and stand by them longer when they ought to.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I feel like the Johnson's are prone to over correction.  I can't remember if it was during Bowles tenure or transitioning between the Idzik/Macc eras but the Jets were getting lots of heat online for being so unstable.  So then they try to show they are committed to their coaches/GMs and stand by them longer when they ought to.

That probably has a lot to do with it. Failures often are overly sensitive to criticism. 

• Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, viffer said:

Because CJ makes the average garden slug look like a genius by comparison. He's a trust fund baby who has never done anything in his life, so he has no brains and no experience at accomplishing anything. What did you expect?

His only claim to fame in his existence is a sperm with the name "Johnson" on it.

Someone made a point that this is the only job that CJ can do because there's almost no way possible for an NFL owner to fail (financially speaking).  It's a really outstanding point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Universally panned hire. We literally got a first hand viewing of him destroying a division foe immediately before getting hired here. With a full week or so of serious reflection, Gase figures out what he got wrong and is now going to do it the right way here in NY. 

How the **** did you buy this crap fest, Chris? You made the worst possible hire you could have made. Now he's actively trying to put injured players in harms way to try to save his worthless hide. You say you care about your players. How about Becton wincing in pain, holding his shoulder? Why is your genius taking timeouts late in a lost contest and allowing guys to try to hurt an opposing QB in garbage time? He led such a classless display last night, you should be ashamed he ever had an association with this franchise let alone, allow it to continue. Fix it, Chris. 

The simple answer is that the Johnsons are dorks who know nothing about football. They doesn't watch it much, don't read about it, never played. They're not plugged into league circles. They're not connected in any way.

So they rely on other people to tell them what to do, and they often have faith in the wrong people.

Korn Ferry, an executive search firm, is how we landed Idzik.

Charley Casserly of "Who's been wrong more often that Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist" fame is the guy who got us Bowles and Maccagnan. 

Peyton Manning got us Gase.

Gase got us Douglas.

The only hope is that Douglas is actually good and plays a critical role in hiring the next coach, ideally making the decision himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

The Dolphins were never as bad as the Jets are now.   They could not figure out how to get Rhule or McCarthy in the door and thought that Gase could work with Darnold.  No one thought the hire was as bad at the start as it looks now. 

The hope was Gase would be motivated to improve and do a good job so he can continue his career.    He is looking at another Jets coach who career is ending. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The simple answer is that the Johnsons are dorks who knows nothing about football. They doesn't watch it much, don't read about it, never played. They're not plugged into league circles. They're not connected in any way.

So they rely on other people to tell them what to do, and they often have faith in the wrong people.

Korn Ferry, an executive search firm, is how we landed Idzik,

Charley Casserly of "Who's been wrong more often that Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist" fame is the guy who got us Bowles and Maccagnan. 

Peyton Manning got us Gase.

Gase got us Douglas.

The only hope is that Douglas is actually good and plays a critical role in hiring the next coach, ideally making the decision himself.

That would be ideal. A HC & GM on the same page since when....early Tangini? 

It just simply boggles my mind that someone can own a professional football team for 20 friggin years and still be so absolutely clueless about the sport. How can you be around it for two decades and still manage to not have a clue?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Dolphins were never as bad as the Jets are now.   They could not figure out how to get Rhule or McCarthy in the door and thought that Gase could work with Darnold.  No one thought the hire was as bad at the start as it looks now. 

The hope was Gase would be motivated to improve and do a good job so he can continue his career.    He is looking at another Jets coach who career is ending. 

Before Gase called a Jet play

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837130-stats-dont-lie-adam-gase-is-the-wrong-coach-for-sam-darnold-and-the-jets

59 minutes ago, freestater said:

Universally panned hire. We literally got a first hand viewing of him destroying a division foe immediately before getting hired here. With a full week or so of serious reflection, Gase figures out what he got wrong and is now going to do it the right way here in NY. 

How the **** did you buy this crap fest, Chris? You made the worst possible hire you could have made. Now he's actively trying to put injured players in harms way to try to save his worthless hide. You say you care about your players. How about Becton wincing in pain, holding his shoulder? Why is your genius taking timeouts late in a lost contest and allowing guys to try to hurt an opposing QB in garbage time? He led such a classless display last night, you should be ashamed he ever had an association with this franchise let alone, allow it to continue. Fix it, Chris. 

Some of it is on Williams but what the Jets did last night was so bush league at the end of that game. Showed how little class the two main coaches of this time has. Keeping Gase is mind boggling. Bowles was a good person and had a lot of integrity but Gase and Williams are just scumbags that will spite their own team out of their incompetence and insecurity.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Which is over compensation for dumping mangini way too soon because he couldn’t make the playoffs with an injured Brett Favre 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Christopher Johnson doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to running an NFL franchise. 

I still can’t believe woody just handed it over to him simply because they share the same last name. This was a great chance to put someone in charge with credentials. Wait what am I saying. Of course I can believe it.

I guess this is how family dynasties work. I never even knew there was a Chris Johnson. I wonder what he’s done all his life  

"We all knew....."  Nope.  You know nothing.

For a decade, all I've heard is you geniuses scream for a "HC and a GM that are on the same page like the Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, and other great franchises who are consistent winners!"

And after Christopher Johnson convinces a qualified and experienced head coach and the best young GM candidate in the NFL to join his moribund franchise and they have a single draft and free agent period, you're all ready to blow up exactly what you wished for because, why?  Because you think there is a quick fix to this roster mess?  Because you were were wrong about Maccagnan and this roster actually is terrific?  Because you and you alone can get a clear read on Gase's ability with no OL and no WR's and a QB who is in over his head?

If it weren't so tragic it would be hysterical.  You knee-jerk malcontents have influenced the Jets to our collective detriment for far too long.  Now its time to be patient, be quiet, and let the team do its job.  We don't have bad owners.  We have bad fans.  Too noisy, too wrong, too many times.  You've been neutralized.  Shut up and like it.  Or find the door.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We all knew....."  Nope.  You know nothing.

It’s well documented who was on board with this hire, who immediately thought it was a disaster and who was willing to wait and see. Someone just dredged up all the quotes from the day he was hired being firmly against it, “congratulating” us. We get the bitter pleasure of knowing we were right 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Xtina said:

It’s well documented who was on board with this hire, who immediately thought it was a disaster and who was willing to wait and see. Someone just dredged up all the quotes from the day he was hired being firmly against it, “congratulating” us. We get the bitter pleasure of knowing we were right 

Absolutely. I was against this hire from the beginning. Gave him a little leeway after getting rid of Macc but he sure wore the **** out of that quick. Keeping him anywhere near the ear of Sam Darnold is detrimental to him and the team. 

• Upvote 2

If the Johnson's had any brains, before they fired Bowles they would have realized that Mac was the source of the terrible reality that is the Jets. Imagine if the the Jets had fired Mac instead of Bowles and hired JD, or some other real GM? I don't imagine Bowles would still be here due to his penchant to keep underperforming friends on his coaching staff and ignoring the O. We'd have 2 drafts with the new GM and probably a new HC selected, or highly influenced by, the GM. We'd be one year ahead of where we are now. 

But, that's not the Jets. Instead of stepping forward by firing Mac and keeping Bowles, they did the opposite and now we're about to fire another (incompetent) HC and take two steps backward. 

Frankly, at this point if your JD, it is all about finally gaining a foothold so you are only moving forward. He did it with the roster by not throwing around stupid money to free agents and choosing to build through the draft. Next, he needs to convince the Johnsons to hire a real HC (not an O or D guru) who will hire coordinators and let them do their jobs. That way, you can fire a coordinator if things aren't working rather than the HC and whole staff.  

I was upset as anyone about the state of the Jets after last night's game, but the stark reality is that the Jets are what they are at the moment. The last piece to the framework for building the team the right way is to fire Gase and hire a real HC. Nothing, other than a visceral satisfaction, would be accomplished by firing Gase now. He is most certainly gone at season's end and that, will hopefully, be the final step backwards the Jets have to take. 

• Post of the Week 1