Joe Douglas's Nuts

Just when we thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, it turned out to be a train coming right at us.  For a moment, it almost appeared as though Chris Johnson pulled his head out of his tush and found his GM to take control and fully run this thing.  Then he comes out and makes more idiotic statements about Gaze clearly showing it will be HIS decision to keep or fire the putz.  Instead of just saying "I expect this team to play better and show results sooner rather than later", he proclaims Gaze is a freaking genius.  He may as well have showed the crowd Joe Douglas's nuts he was holding.

This is not Joe Douglas's team.  Chris Johnson will continue to put himself in the middle of all critical football decisions.  It ain't going to get better.

2 minutes ago, Barkus said:

If this season ends with 2-4 win season (or less) I don’t see how CJ the half-wit can keep Gase the Waste. This teams still needs to sell tickets and will want fans to come to the games. 

Maybe that’s why he doesn’t care this year. 

10 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

This IS Joe Douglas’ team. He took the job knowing what he was walking into. Not excusing him one bit for putting together an all-time sh*t team. Gase just made it worse. 

Agreed.  Douglas absolutely is responsible for the product that has been on the field these past 4 weeks.  This is his team.  And Gase's.  He did not do enough at the WR position.  He brought in the 37 year old RB we have been leanniing on these last few weeks. He traded away Jamal for an investment in the future, making the team worse this year.  He brought in the Quincy Wilsons, Bradley Mcdougalds and Pierre Desir's of the world (mixed game for Desir last night) .

That said, I believe he has a long term vision for the team.  I think the OL has been better this year -- lastnight being an excpetion, but then again we were down to our #4 and 5 tackles on the depth chart after Edoga Becton and Fant all went out.  I still have confidence that he can build this team the right way for the future.  And even though our draft picks have seeminglly all been injured (except Braden Mann) I still feel pretty good about the potential of his draft and I think this season will be an outlier. 

But I would be lying if I didn't say that my confidence in him has taken a bit of a hit this past month.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Barring some kind of miracle, I would assume Gase is already fired, but they don't feel there is a benefit in making it official mid-season and turning over the keys to the franchise to the lunatic that was hired to run the defense into the ground. 

I think this is it. 

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Barring some kind of miracle, I would assume Gase is already fired, but they don't feel there is a benefit in making it official mid-season and turning over the keys to the franchise to the lunatic that was hired to run the defense into the ground. 

Totally agree JoJo.  However, the questions are who will make that decision and who will decide who the next coach is.  How much influence will Douglas have?  Will Douglas only be allowed to organize the selections and interviews the way Korn Ferry did or will he be the primary selector?

After Johnson's idiotic presser where he stepped all over himself, I'm not very confident.

Joe Douglas had 5 picks in the first 4 rounds where you improve your team.  He had a boat load of cash.  While he didnt have a full offseason last year, he did have enough time to operate and make some questionable moves.  Fast forward to 2020, the team is markedly worse, which is astonishing.  Obviously losing Adams was going to hurt but it's so far beyond that it's not even funny.

The OL is a train wreck, the CB's are terrible and they have the worst skills players in the NFL - that is 100% on Joe Douglas.  Sure, I get he couldnt fix it all but to go backward when you were already completely void of talent, is unacceptable, bottom line.   You dont get to excuse away only adding 1 player of any significance in an entire offseason.  The offseason is your chance to get better and every year you miss out on that opportunity, you put your team further away from success.  This team wont be near competitive for another 3 years.  At least.  And I dont know how you can justify that in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

Saying this as a Gase supporter, but I feel like the talent on the team is probably better than it’s shown, but the team, as a whole, lacks confidence and doesn’t seem to be enjoying playing football right now. If you change the vibe in the locker room, a good majority of these players will look a lot better. It’s not a talented team by any stretch, but right now they’re not talented and demoralized

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Douglas absolutely is responsible for the product that has been on the field these past 4 weeks.  This is his team.  And Gase's.  He did not do enough at the WR position.  He brought in the 37 year old RB we have been leanniing on these last few weeks. He traded away Jamal for an investment in the future, making the team worse this year.  He brought in the Quincy Wilsons, Bradley Mcdougalds and Pierre Desir's of the world (mixed game for Desir last night) .

That said, I believe he has a long term vision for the team.  I think the OL has been better this year -- lastnight being an excpetion, but then again we were down to our #4 and 5 tackles on the depth chart after Edoga Becton and Fant all went out.  I still have confidence that he can build this team the right way for the future.  And even though our draft picks have seeminglly all been injured (except Braden Mann) I still feel pretty good about the potential of his draft and I think this season will be an outlier. 

But I would be lying if I didn't say that my confidence in him has taken a bit of a hit this past month.

Cheer up.  Douglas made some good moves. You mention Desir and he didn’t have a really good night but you need to compare him to that slug Trumaine.  The other corners make up for Roberts. So in this view they are better but maybe there isn’t a shutdown type in the group.  And Douglas also brought in 4 new oline starters. That’s good and bad. Good because these guys are better than the guys they replaced. It’s bad because it takes time to get all playing together.  And even though wr is a problem, they did have more in the starting lineup until the injuries started and the two key guys, Perriman and Mims, are still out.

The bad news is they are now in a hole and it’s doubtful this team is going anywhere this season.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Totally agree JoJo.  However, the questions are who will make that decision and who will decide who the next coach is.  How much influence will Douglas have?  Will Douglas only be allowed to organize the selections and interviews the way Korn Ferry did or will he be the primary selector?

After Johnson's idiotic presser where he stepped all over himself, I'm not very confident.

It should obviously be Douglas, but instead it will be some high priced accounting Firm whose football knowledge comes from a company fantasy football league they run every year. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Kudos to you having faith in JD. I personally don’t see a direction. It’s not like we are youngest team in the league. The Gore move was a massive letdown. He let go of the best player and refused to resign homegrown WR when WR was a huge need. We needed Robby, Jamison, Mims and a #1 WR such as Hopkins. Gotta invest in your young QB especially when you have a coach like Gase. 

He hasn’t “Fixed” the OL like many make it ought to be. He picked up a bunch of guys from the clearance rack. When your drafts are sh*t, you don’t trade away your only good picks and because you don’t have enough good drafter players to hand out second contracts, you dip into the FA with a few big moves to make up for the bad drafting. What does JD do? He turns off his internet and phone and keeps his salary cap. I remember another GM did the exact same thing (traded away an all-pro DB, refused to sign a half decent player, went into a complete shut down mode and kept a boatload of cap). Didn’t work out well for him. JD is on the same course. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Cheer up.  Douglas made some good moves. You mention Desir and he didn’t have a really good night but you need to compare him to that slug Trumaine.  The other corners make up for Roberts. So in this view they are better but maybe there isn’t a shutdown type in the group.  And Douglas also brought in 4 new oline starters. That’s good and bad. Good because these guys are better than the guys they replaced. It’s bad because it takes time to get all playing together.  And even though wr is a problem, they did have more in the starting lineup until the injuries started and the two key guys, Perriman and Mims, are still out.

The bad news is they are now in a hole and it’s doubtful this team is going anywhere this season.

Nothing I need to cheer up about.  It is a lost season, I have accepted that fact.  They are not coming back from 0-4 to make noise this year.  We are building for the future and have a lot of resource to do so.  But the product on the field this year is Douglas' team.  To me, this season is the first real line in his resume and its ugly.  It may prove to be nothing more than an ugly footnote if he rebuilds the team the right way.  I have not given up hope that this could happen.

Will we finally emerge from our 3rd or 4th rebuild of the last 10 years to see a significantly better team next year?  I don'tknow, but I sure hope so.

• Upvote 2

Because of free agent choices and the lack of depth on the roster the coaches are in untenable decisions.

Darnold should not have been allowed back on the field. After he got his painkilling shot from the docs, he was not the player he was before the sack.

You have to have a head coach who can say "sit down" to clearly injured players wanting back in.

Gase has done it with Le'Veon Bell, Becton, Darnold.

What have we got Joe Flacco on the roster if not for situations like this???

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nothing I need to cheer up about.  It is a lost season, I have accepted that fact.  They are not coming back from 0-4 to make noise this year.  We are building for the future and have a lot of reqource to do so.  But the product on the field this year is Douglas' team.  To me, this season is the first real line in his resume and its ugly.  It may prove to be nothing more than an ugly footnote if he rebuilds the team the right way.  I have not given up hope that this could happen.

Will we finally emerge from our 3rd or 4th rebuild of the last 10 years to see a significantly better team next year?  I don'tknow, but I sure hope so.

Yes in part. There’s still some Mac stink to get rid of. A couple of days ago Costello or maybe Cannizzaro wrote a piece dissing Douglas draft.  I’m not sure how he made that assessment considering Mims , Clark, and Zuniga haven’t played yet, Becton is apparently the real deal, and Mann and Perine are doing pretty well too. Obviously it’s too early to tell how this draft will actually play out right now it’s pretty promising.  I don’t know if macs drafts had so much potential. And Douglas also addressed the oline with some free agents that should be better than the players they replaced.  Same thing with the wrs though you can make a case that Robbie was better than any on the jets right now. The only player where there was a distinct downgrade was replacing Adams with McDougald or even Maye.

the bottom line is Douglas improved the talent. It’s up to the coaches and players to start playing like a team. It will be interesting to see if this is something they do even if their record is bad. And this next draft could be pretty interesting consider the high picks Douglas has.  I would say next season the team will have the full Douglas makeover.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm sorry if you can't see the brilliance of a wheel route in the RZ to a 37 year old RB who isn't known for his pass catching ability. 

Listen, I've done extensive research into passes that travel 25 yards sideways and 1.5 yards foward. The lab rats I've studied that have been subjected to this tactic start avoiding the little end zones I painted on both sides of their cages as they become a source of  anxiety and depression, they push their food away and lose interest in sex. They basically become Jet fans. 

• Haha 3

This is why JD got a 6 year deal.  This is what is what a full rebuild looks like.

Also me in 2019--This is what a rebuild looks like

Also me in 2018--This what a rebuild looks like

Also me in 2017--This is what a rebuild looks like

Also me in 2016...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, deucebag said:

As Sal Licata said after the game, regardless of Gase's ability to coach an offense - HE IS NOT A HEAD COACHWallace Shawn, he is absorbed in the offense and does not pay attention to the game as a whole - it is overwhelmingly evident as all you see is him reviewing his play sheet all game long and then spending time with Sam by the bench when the D is on the field.  Nobody is running the team - hopefully CJ and Douglas recognize this and recognize they need to hire a HEAD COACH in the offseason. 

He's constantly has his head down into his play sheets writing something,  I think he playing sudoku.

• Haha 1

Gase and Bowles are very similar. 

They both are not great head coaches.

They both delegated too much to their cronies.  

They both were very successful coordinators, probably more based on the roster talent rather than coaching skills.  People are figuring that out now.  

But Bowles is a good man, and the players liked him.  The Jets were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL under Bowles.  

You can defend Gase’ football coaching all you want, and make excuses for the injuries and the roster.  But the way Gase has handled the medical issues, the penalties last night and other shenanigans is why you fire him.  I just wonder what kind of a human he is.  

By trading Anderson and Adams, JD, and the Johnsons by implication, basically said they were not wasting money on 2020.  Maybe they already know that Darnold is not the right QB, but if we coach him better we will get more draft compensation for him.  That is really what this season is about.  

Gase needs to HC more, OC less, and get better control over the conditioning and injuries.  Players are basically saying that how they play on the Jets this year does not affect their value, and they are better off not playing than playing in that mess and getting hurt.   

That is untenable.  

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Listen, I've done extensive research into passes that travel 25 yards sideways and 1.5 yards foward. The lab rats I've studied that have been subjected to this tactic start avoiding the little end zones I painted on both sides of their cages as they become a source of  anxiety and depression, they push their food away and lose interest in sex. They basically become Jet fans. 

Brilliant!!!

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Joe Douglas had 5 picks in the first 4 rounds where you improve your team.  He had a boat load of cash.  While he didnt have a full offseason last year, he did have enough time to operate and make some questionable moves.  Fast forward to 2020, the team is markedly worse, which is astonishing.  Obviously losing Adams was going to hurt but it's so far beyond that it's not even funny.

The OL is a train wreck, the CB's are terrible and they have the worst skills players in the NFL - that is 100% on Joe Douglas.  Sure, I get he couldnt fix it all but to go backward when you were already completely void of talent, is unacceptable, bottom line.   You dont get to excuse away only adding 1 player of any significance in an entire offseason.  The offseason is your chance to get better and every year you miss out on that opportunity, you put your team further away from success.  This team wont be near competitive for another 3 years.  At least.  And I dont know how you can justify that in the NFL.

I have to agree. It's his first year, yes, and is also juggling Gase's personal wish (and wish-to-not-have) list as well, but he's gotten a bit too many brownie points just for not being Maccagnan. 

I was (and still am) totally behind the Adams trade because it's not just the draft pick or it's not just the cap space allocated to a safety; it's the draft picks PLUS that cap space allocated to a safety. I mean if he drafts well you could be talking about as many as 4 star starters instead of Jamal Adams. Also he's overrated, however much he is better than the one replacing him this season, but that's just a fan's opinion.

However now shift over to offensive skill positions, and he had first dibs on the best WR available, and turned it down purely over not just cap space, but very little guaranteed cap space. Or even worse, first he turned down the draft pick offered, and then still didn't make an offer right then & there (find out if he'll take what you're offering, and if not then take the pick ffs).

• Upvote 2

The big advantage we're supposed to have, while a QB is on his rookie deal, is that we can splurge on offensive players around him. Then even though we may be spending $10MM more on a few positions on offense, it feels exactly the same cap-wise as not spending $10MM extra on another WR plus two $8MM upgrades at a couple OL positions with a $30-40MM QB instead of a $10MM QB. 

If you whiff then you whiff. But at least go down swinging, man. For years even the more frugal fans wanted to save up this space for a football purpose: so when we finally drafted a (supposedly) worthwhile QB, we could throw the kitchen sink at surrounding him with any splurges.

These built-in excuses suck extra years out of the franchise by wasting them on unworthy QBs (or at best, wasting productive + cheap years of one who would be worthy).