Mike Greenberg advises Lawrence to stay at Clemson if Jets pick 1

Rhg1084

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Horsebleep. He did not want to go to the smallest market in the NFL. That was just his cover story

Ok, we can agree to disagree. 

FYI, the small market thing is so overrated in modern times. If you are a star QB, you make big money and get big endorsement deals everywhere. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Look if we get the #1 pick. These are all true statements:

1. We will have a new coaching staff by the draft that is offensive minded and good at developing QBs

How do you know this?

The last coaching staff was supposed to be offensively minded and good at developing QBs.

2. Trevor will make more in the NY market than anywhere other than Dallas

3. The Jets have another first after Trevor and then 2 the following year to get him more weapons and protection

4. There is no guarantee he stays healthy if he goes back to college

He will come out and play for the Jets. The Eli Manning thing was about money pure and simple.

Coming to the Jets could almost guarantee he gets hurt.  It's what happens here.

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Look if we get the #1 pick. These are all true statements:

1. We will have a new coaching staff by the draft that is offensive minded and good at developing QBs

2. Trevor will make more in the NY market than anywhere other than Dallas

3. The Jets have another first after Trevor and then 2 the following year to get him more weapons and protection

4. There is no guarantee he stays healthy if he goes back to college

He will come out and play for the Jets. The Eli Manning thing was about money pure and simple.

They seem to forget Archie wanted both his kids going #1 and too New York because of the big market. Parcells messed up the plan for Peyton .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Love when the so called Jets fan goes out on his public platform to publicly start laying the groundwork for this sh*t. **** off Greenberg

Seriously. What a piece of sh*t.

The one potential light and the end of the tunnel and this guy is trying to alert the world and start the conversation as to why it shouldn’t happen. Prick.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

the "stay in school" thing is overblown. it makes no logical sense...

1. who is to say the jets wouldnt have the same pick next year

2. who is to say Lawrence wouldnt get hurt

and most importantly...

3. you dont get drafted first overall by a GOOD team lol...wanna go play in Jax, Detroit or Washington? sure...go for it...you cant tell me those teams are not as much of a train wreck as the jets are.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Seriously. What a piece of sh*t.

The one potential light and the end of the tunnel and this guy is trying to alert the world and start the conversation as to why it shouldn’t happen. Prick.

Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be listening to what Mike Greenberg has to say before making a decision.

The conversation was either happening (or not) in the Lawrence household well before and well after Greenberg's comments.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Because we will have a new coach and 4 #1 picks in the next two years. It's SOJF that actually go a long way in to making sure we don't get a Trevor Lawrence. You guys are actually contributing to making the team worse via social media. Do you not get that? The players are plugged in to it. 

Yeah it’s fans’ fault the Jets are the septic tank of the NFL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

If he makes it known he won’t sign with the Jets, and they draft him anyway, then he could simply sit out a year a re-enter the draft if the Jets don’t trade him.  

You would know better than most, but Lawrence doesn’t seem like the type of guy who would raise a stink about what franchise he gets drafted to.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be listening to what Mike Greenberg has to say before making a decision.

The conversation was either happening (or not) in the Lawrence household well before and well after Greenberg's comments.  

If you want to hear a pretty good debate over taking Lawrence v sticking with Sam, check out Bart Scott and Chris Canty getting into it on the Bart and Hahn show today. Really compelling radio. Bart’s position (if the Jets finish with the first pick) is to fleece the jaguars for all their picks and stick with Darnold. Canty argued that Darnold has shown you nothing to make us think he’s worth that kind of gamble. Got pretty heated. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I think JD can make the case that he started on the O-Line with more to come and that WR help is in the next round of things to improve even if Mims gets healthy and starts to make that look less bad.

This, and then hire Swinney to replace Gase after the season lol. Prying him loose will take blackmailing him with pretty explicit pictures with a few different frosh girls (or guys) doing jello shots out of each other's rectums. And also building him a chapel in Florham Park, prolly.

• Upvote 1

Follow the money.

The NFL has the chance to place the next great hair flowing QB in its biggest TV market.

And that player is going to threaten to stay in school or not sign so avoid playing with the Jets?

What will the NFL’s reaction to that be?  Don’t you think they call the Johnsons and try to force a change?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who the **** does Mike Greenberg think is going to be picking first in 2022?  Is the kid going to stay in school 'til he's 40?

Joe Burrow gets sacked 97 times over the next two seasons, loses a limb, and the Bengals get the number one pick again. A better situation than the current Jets imho.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

If he makes it known he won’t sign with the Jets, and they draft him anyway, then he could simply sit out a year a re-enter the draft if the Jets don’t trade him.  

Crabtree did that, if I'm not mistaken. Can't think of many other examples though. Would be interesting to see how much he would slide the following year if he went through with that. 

• Upvote 1

Last time I checked, BAD teams get the top picks in every draft.  Lawrence will not be able to escape going to a bad team no matter what he does, even if he uses his only leverage and stays in school an extra year.  Granted, some teams and organizations are worse than others, but a pile of guaranteed money always has a funny way of making all other variables non factors. If Lawrence declares for the draft and the Jets have the #1 pick, he will be a Jet if the Jets want him.  Book it.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You would know better than most, but Lawrence doesn’t seem like the type of guy who would raise a stink about what franchise he gets drafted to.

He’s isn’t that type of kid, I’m just not sure he is cut out for NY, like at all.   Aside from the fact I’m not totally sold on him as some savior here, I just don’t think he would be a good fit here.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s isn’t that type of kid, I’m just not sure he is cut out for NY, like at all.   Aside from the fact I’m not totally sold on him as some savior here, I just don’t think he would be a good fit here.   

This is a concern of mine too, I just wonder if he has the personality to handle this sh*t storm here.  The "not cut out for NY" is a real thing, you need a certian type of personality to handle this area and then on top of it scrutiny from media and fans being a player on this team.  He literally has one bad game his rookie year and there will be signs up everywhere saying "we should have kept darnold"

• Upvote 1

What did the chargers get when Eli would go to them?

Traded back from 1-5. Still got their QB, got a believe a 2, and a 1 they turned into Shawn Merriman. 

The Jets need a crap ton of players.

Oh, and Greeny sucks balls.   Ine of the whiniest people I have ever heard.

• Upvote 1

Trevor Lawrence is coming out because he’s confident & he ain’t no pussy!

Mims is gonna be a stud, just look what other guys are doing this year, unfortunately he’s got a bad hammy. Becton is 10 year LT, Juju would come to NY, and there is no doubt in my mind Darnold would bring a 1st round pick from an NFC team. Detroit, Chicago, Vikings, Redskins, maybe Eagles?, Tampa, Saints, could all be in the QB market. 
Everyone knows Sam was dealt the sh*ttiest hand in the entire NFL. I bet you Sean Payton could save him. The dude is 23. Nobody wanted Vinny T either after his stint with the horrible Bucs. 
He’s not a jump on my back QB, but he’s literally had no talent around him. Even now we’ve found out that Chris Herndon is a total turd too! 
Sometimes things just don’t work out. Gase is gone, no one will come to this team in free agency without a coaching staff change. JD knows that, Gase has smeared the Jets with a sh*t stain that will be hard to clean but having 4 firsts & a bunch of cash for a new coach will help. You have to take the 5 year rookie contract over giving Darnold an insane amount of guaranteed money with out playing a full 16 game season. 
Jets have #1 pick Darnold is history. Only reason I’m back here is to talk about the rookies when they play & what we do next year. 0-4 Sam hurt AGAIN, worst defense I’ve ever witnessed. Seasons for all intents & purposes OVER. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

It’s cute. It makes waves for a few minutes. But it’s just noise. Lawrence is coming out. 

I disagree that there are any guarantees Lawrence is coming out. His values are not like other players. He most certainly would stay at Clemson another year to experience a chance at another championship in a full and normal season. I don't think he would stay just to avoid the Jets because most certainly he believes that wherever he ends up, it will be for a reason and it's not his place to question the reason.