Trevor Lawerence vs Justin Fields

Trevor Lawerence vs Justin Fields  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we draft at potentially #1?

12 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm on record, obviously subject to change once OSU starts playing but if you're giving me a choice right now, Lawrence or Fields, I'm taking Fields.  

I said this in the "generational talent thread" but it fits here too.  I cant wait to see OSU get playing because IMO Fields is the more intriguing prospect.  There is a trend going on in the NFL and it's real and Fields fit that trend.  The QB's that have been taken lately with a skill set that you just straight up cant teach (Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Murrary, Jackson, Allen) over the traditional polished pocket passer.  That is Fields.  He brings a skill set to the table Lawrence could only dream of.  If you havent been paying attention, that is what you want in a prospect these days. 

Lawrence can run too. He fits the Josh Allen/Mahommes mold a lot better then Fields does because both those guys aren't the fastest runners but have lots of arm strength. Fields has a good arm, but it's not one of his strengths in having a rocket arm. Really though, Lawrence is just significantly more polished Justin Herbert though, and based off how Herbert's doing in LA right now, you draft Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mark78 said:

We already “sucked for Sam”; how many cycles of looking for the franchise QB and rebuilding do we have to go through.  Can’t wait just for some stability!

Darnold is about to be out for 3+ games for the 3rd straight season.  Darnold doesn't = stability at all.

Keep taking QB's until you find one.  That's the only way to find stability.    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The answer really is whatever the new coach wants to do at QB. Is he invested still in Darnold and wants more capital to surround him with talent?

Or does he prefer one or the other? Which fits the offensive scheme better? (though he needs to be a guy that has an offense designed fresh around the QB)

11 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

Lawrence can run too. He fits the Josh Allen/Mahommes mold a lot better then Fields does because both those guys aren't the fastest runners but have lots of arm strength. Fields has a good arm, but it's not one of his strengths in having a rocket arm. Really though, Lawrence is just significantly more polished Justin Herbert though, and based off how Herbert's doing in LA right now, you draft Lawrence.

Lawrence can run but you're not asking him to run at the next level.  Tall, skinny, lanky kid, no wiggle, just a straight line guy, if he's running at the next level he will get killed.   He's not built like Allen or Cam and even Mahomes looks little more stocky.  Lawrence is a bean pole.   Fields is more like Murray, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Prescott in that he's dynamic with the football in his hands and can make all the throws.

Not sure why you're questioning his arm strength.  He's got a cannon.  Highly recruited baseball player, he played shortstop.  He can throw from many angles with insane zip.  Honestly, I think he's got a better arm than Lawrence.  Fun fact; Fields had the longest average per target in the all of the power 5 conferences. 

We'll see what the  year brings but the idea the Lawrence is head and shoulders better than Fields, I think start to be highly questioned when the season is over.  Fields is ridiculous and just has so much more "you cant teach that' than Lawrence.  And again, that's what is working in the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Lawrence can run but you're not asking him to run at the next level.  Tall, skinny, lanky kid, no wiggle, just a straight line guy, if he's running at the next level he will get killed.   He's not built like Allen or Cam and even Mahomes looks little more stocky.  Lawrence is a bean pole.   Fields is more like Murray, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Prescott in that he's dynamic with the football in his hands and can make all the throws.

Not sure why you're questioning his arm strength.  He's got a cannon.  Highly recruited baseball player, he played shortstop.  He can throw from many angles with insane zip.  Honestly, I think he's got a better arm than Lawrence.  Fun fact; Fields had the longest average per target in the all of the power 5 conferences. 

We'll see what the  year brings but the idea the Lawrence is head and shoulders better than Fields, I think start to be highly questioned when the season is over.  Fields is ridiculous and just has so much more "you cant teach that' than Lawrence.  And again, that's what is working in the NFL.

Nah, Lawrence has significantly more zip on his throws. Follow any scouting report between the two, Fields has a good arm but it's not in Lawrence's tier. To put it in perspective, Lawrence has been clocked throwing 61 mph in games before. Mahomes in comparison's highest mph clocked was 62 mph.

45 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Nah, Lawrence has significantly more zip on his throws. Follow any scouting report between the two, Fields has a good arm but it's not in Lawrence's tier. To put it in perspective, Lawrence has been clocked throwing 61 mph in games before. Mahomes in comparison's highest mph clocked was 62 mph.

Nah, Lawrence arm is average.  Fields has a laser. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Lawrence has three full seasons of game action at the highest level. He is a plug and play starter from day 1 who has been groomed all his life for this. 

Fields would be entering the NFL much like Sanchez and Darnold with limited college starts. He’s got plenty of skills, but can the Jets develop him?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

Lawrence has three full seasons of game action at the highest level. He is a plug and play starter from day 1 who has been groomed all his life for this. 

Fields would be entering the NFL much like Sanchez and Darnold with limited college starts. He’s got plenty of skills, but can the Jets develop him?

Not quite.  Fields transferred and did get some snaps at UGA, plus he was a QB in High School.  But yes, Lawrence will have a full year more which is nice.  

TREVOR LAWRENCE GAVE US THE WEEKLY REMINDER THAT HE IS ONE OF THE BEST COLLEGE QUARTERBACKS IN HISTORY

It wouldn’t be a normal week if we didn’t talk about Trevor Lawrence lighting up whatever team he was playing for the week. So, to no surprise, Lawrence produced four big-time throws against Virginia Tech, all while keeping his turnover-worthy play column at zero for the year.

Lawrence had the fifth-lowest rate of negatively graded throws among Power Five quarterbacks this week, which helps him maintain his status as one of three quarterbacks to produce top 10 marks in both negatively and positively graded throw rate (Wilson and Rattler are the other two). We also finally got to see him do some damage with his legs with three read-option plays, two of which ended up in a gain of 10-plus yards.

Pending review, Lawrence now has a 94.7 PFF grade through his first three games of action. Burrow had a 93.0 mark through his first three games in his record-setting 2019 season. It’s early, but Lawrence might just break that record we thought was nearly unbeatable.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

No like seriously Fields has a much stronger arm.  

You're literally the only person saying this, so once again, read more reports or get your eyes checked.

I'll get you started on the reports:

https://weeklyspiral.com/tag/justin-fields/

The Buckeyes didn’t ask Fields to throw deep too often, but when he did…. wow. Most throws were on the money, which most college quarterbacks struggle when attacking downfield. He did a great job of leading his receivers too, making sure that they could run after the catch. While his arm is strong enough, it isn’t elite but the accuracy is the most important part. Plenty of quarterbacks can throw far, look at past quarterback busts like Jamarcus Russell and Kyle Boller for example. Both could throw the ball a mile but couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Fields is surgical though. He sets his feet and drives the ball in a position where only his receiver can get it. For a mobile quarterback (which we’ll cover soon), being able to push the ball down the field opens up so many possibilities for the near and the future.

https://weeklyspiral.com/2020/06/17/trevor-lawrence-breakdown-the-prince-that-was-promised/

The ball shoots out of his hand like a cannon and he makes it look so effortless. To compare, Patrick Mahomes’ top throwing speed at the combine was 55 mph and Lawrence’s top throwing speed in 2019 was 61 mph. Whether he’s in the pocket or scrambling, he’s able to get enough juice on the ball to fit throws into tight windows. As you can see below, he can throw it sixty yards in the air while making it look easy. To me, this is his best attribute as there are technical things you can clean up, but you can’t teach the arm strength he possesses.

As for your eyes, you'll have to get that checked on your own, can't help you there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

This is going to be one long nauseating discussion for the next 7 months.   This could turn out worse than the Jamal Adams threads.  

It really shouldn’t be.

Experts, scouts, former GMs, former QBs, PFF.....Everyone seems to agree Lawrence is the undisputed number 1 prospect. 

I am all for sports talk but Lawrence V Fields is not a conversation we need to talk about for 7 months. 

2 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

You're literally the only person saying this, so once again, read more reports or get your eyes checked.

I'll get you started on the reports:

https://weeklyspiral.com/tag/justin-fields/

The Buckeyes didn’t ask Fields to throw deep too often, but when he did…. wow. Most throws were on the money, which most college quarterbacks struggle when attacking downfield. He did a great job of leading his receivers too, making sure that they could run after the catch. While his arm is strong enough, it isn’t elite but the accuracy is the most important part. Plenty of quarterbacks can throw far, look at past quarterback busts like Jamarcus Russell and Kyle Boller for example. Both could throw the ball a mile but couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Fields is surgical though. He sets his feet and drives the ball in a position where only his receiver can get it. For a mobile quarterback (which we’ll cover soon), being able to push the ball down the field opens up so many possibilities for the near and the future.

https://weeklyspiral.com/2020/06/17/trevor-lawrence-breakdown-the-prince-that-was-promised/

The ball shoots out of his hand like a cannon and he makes it look so effortless. To compare, Patrick Mahomes’ top throwing speed at the combine was 55 mph and Lawrence’s top throwing speed in 2019 was 61 mph. Whether he’s in the pocket or scrambling, he’s able to get enough juice on the ball to fit throws into tight windows. As you can see below, he can throw it sixty yards in the air while making it look easy. To me, this is his best attribute as there are technical things you can clean up, but you can’t teach the arm strength he possesses.

As for your eyes, you'll have to get that checked on your own, can't help you there.

Fields arm > Lawrence arm  - just how it is.  Its like, obvious. 

You're quoting garbage.  Fields had the longest yards per target in the entire Power 5.  I dont need "expert opinions", I know.  MPH isnt a real thing.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fields arm > Lawrence arm  - just how it is.  Its like, obvious. 

You're quoting garbage.  Fields had the longest yards per target in the entire Power 5.  I dont need "expert opinions", I know.

This is probably the dumbest take I've seen. Ah yes, cause throwing to wide ass open wide receivers 10 yards down the field every play is the true measure of arm strength. Guess Tua had one of the strongest arms in the nation too with him having a high yardage through the air.

• Upvote 1

If we're just going to play the dumb, look at what this guys says exercise, here.  Or like watch and do some actual research, not read opinions pieces. 

Fields showcases that same natural arm that so many of the recent top quarterback prospects have illustrated as of late. He's got a prep background in baseball (as a shortstop) which is easy to see when you ask him to throw on the move. He's an effortless thrower, he'll generate ample torque on the ball and can zip throws into tight coverage without much incident even if he's on untraditional platforms. His delivery is sudden and he's capable of snapping the throw out quickly to beat pressure. Fields has all the physical tools you'd expect of a potential franchise quarterback — whether that's his arm or his ability to extend within or outside the pocket. 

Just now, JiF said:

If we're just going to play the dumb, look at what this guys says exercise, here.  Or like watch and do some actual research, not read opinions pieces. 

Fields showcases that same natural arm that so many of the recent top quarterback prospects have illustrated as of late. He's got a prep background in baseball (as a shortstop) which is easy to see when you ask him to throw on the move. He's an effortless thrower, he'll generate ample torque on the ball and can zip throws into tight coverage without much incident even if he's on untraditional platforms. His delivery is sudden and he's capable of snapping the throw out quickly to beat pressure. Fields has all the physical tools you'd expect of a potential franchise quarterback — whether that's his arm or his ability to extend within or outside the pocket. 

K now show me a report on Lawrence's arm strength, I'll wait. News flash it'll probably say some sh*t about it being Mahomes like.

Just now, artemusclyde said:

This is probably the dumbest take I've seen. Ah yes, cause throwing to wide ass open wide receivers 10 yards down the field every play is the true measure of arm strength. Guess Tua had one of the strongest arms in the nation too with him having a high yardage through the air.

Are you talking about Lawrence?  He throws to wide open guys as well. 

Again, nobody in the Power 5 had a longer yards per target than Fields, and you quoted some goober that said "OSU didnt ask Fields to throw long" - that is 100% wrong.  lol 

I dont know what to tell you dude, Fields arm is stupid good.  Lawrence has a good arm.  Fields is probaby stronger. 

Want me to quote another goober?

Fields not only has the size to be successful in the NFL, but he also has the arm strength and accuracy to move the ball down the field. Fields was able to connect on 67 percent of his throws last season. He tends to load up his arm and use his velocity to fit the ball into tight windows.

1 minute ago, artemusclyde said:

K now show me a report on Lawrence's arm strength, I'll wait. News flash it'll probably say some sh*t about it being Mahomes like.

Bro, if you think Lawrence has Mahomes arm, then I dont even know why we're debating.  That;s just absolutely mornic, no offense.  They're not even remotely comparable.  lol

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Are you talking about Lawrence?  He throws to wide open guys as well. 

Again, nobody in the Power 5 had a longer yards per target than Fields, and you quoted some goober that said "OSU didnt ask Fields to throw long" - that is 100% wrong.  lol 

I dont know what to tell you dude, Fields arm is stupid good.  Lawrence has a good arm.  Fields is probaby stronger. 

Want me to quote another goober?

Fields not only has the size to be successful in the NFL, but he also has the arm strength and accuracy to move the ball down the field. Fields was able to connect on 67 percent of his throws last season. He tends to load up his arm and use his velocity to fit the ball into tight windows.

Yeah, he has a good arm. Now give me any draft analysis saying that he has a stronger arm then Lawrence does. I gave you one that talked about Lawrence having rare arm talent. Here, I'll give you another breakdown, from a guy who likes Fields better then Lawrence (but still thinks Lawrence should go above him lol).

What's this another guy, who despite liking Fields better then Lawrence admits Lawrence has a way better arm? Boy, it seems like you can't help being wrong.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This is going to be one long nauseating discussion for the next 7 months.   This could turn out worse than the Jamal Adams threads.  

haha - dude, it's like Watson all over again.  Yo!  Peep his MPH, he's undraftable.  Wait till next year.

At least this time I know I'm debating for a QB we are actually going to take when we all knew Mac was passing on Watson and Mahomes because Hackenberg.

And Fields hasnt played yet, so this is all subject to change but yeah, should be fun!

1 minute ago, artemusclyde said:

Throws the ball 61 mph, Mahomes throws it 62.  ThEY'Re NoT EvEn CoMPArabLE.

MPH isnt a thing.  This isnt real.  It's not a measurable.  It's stupid and it's the same reason why people said Watson wasnt draftable.

I dont know what to tell you.  I watch more Football on Saturday than I do Sunday.  I watched both players.  I watched both players on the same field in the same game.  And what I saw, was Fields has the stronger arm.  Lawrence has a good arm.  It's not elite, at all.  It's good.  Look, at the end of the day the difference is probably very little but if you're literally going to sit here and argue with me that Lawrence has Mahomes arm because of MPH report you read, then we're done here.  It's not even COMPARABLE!  

• Haha 1

6B5D690E-97B6-40EE-836E-62DF0295C149.thumb.jpeg.41fa0fca4165753b67017dcd7803f3fb.jpeg

546E7102-0CA9-4296-BC90-C189BFD700E0.thumb.jpeg.d3b9088075db9a770a898f36b65aca2d.jpeg

I prefer Lawrence, but as much as I go back and forth with some here about it (ex: @JiF), you can’t really go wrong with either guy.  They are both phenomenal prospects.  Trey Lance is the only one of the big 3 I would totally avoid.  After yesterday it is abundantly clear that he needs to go back to NDSU for one more season or, at the very least, sit for a year in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

MPH isnt a thing.  This isnt real.  It's not a measurable.  It's stupid and it's the same reason why people said Watson wasnt draftable.

I dont know what to tell you.  I watch more Football on Saturday than I do Sunday.  I watched both players.  I watched both players on the same field in the same game.  And what I saw, was Fields has the stronger arm.  Lawrence has a good arm.  It's not elite, at all.  It's good.  Look, at the end of the day the difference is probably very little but if you're literally going to sit here and argue with me that Lawrence has Mahomes arm because of MPH report you read, then we're done here.  It's not even COMPARABLE!  

You're seriously overrating Mahomes arm, and obviously haven't watched enough of Lawrence if you don't think his arm is just as good as Mahomes. I literally just gave you a report of him throwing 61.5 mph, he can throw. BTW, I find it funny that you bring up the game they played against each other cause Lawrence was better then Fields was on that day. Fields had what 2 picks, along with multiple dropped ints? Lawrence also had a couple dropped ints, but he had a way rougher time with him getting blown up by Ohio state's pass rush. He also had way less interceptable balls then Fields did, all while playing against a defense that was better then Clemsons.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

You're seriously overrating Mahomes arm, and obviously haven't watched enough of Lawrence if you don't think his arm is just as good as Mahomes. I literally just gave you a report of him throwing 61.5 mph, he can throw. BTW, I find it funny that you bring up the game they played against each other cause Lawrence was better then Fields was on that day. Fields had what 2 picks, along with multiple dropped ints? Lawrence also had a couple dropped ints, but he had a way rougher time with him getting blown up by Ohio state's pass rush. He also had way less interceptable balls then Fields did, all while playing against a defense that was better then Clemsons.

Legit, this dumbest sh*t I've ever heard.  I dont know how many times I need to tell you, mph isnt a thing.

Yes, Lawrence played better one game.  Cool.  Still rather have Fields because I like his game better; arm, vision, placement, long ball, legs.  IMO - are all better than Lawrence. I can go find you 100 articles verifying what I'm saying; his arm is good, not great.  He's fast, not some elusive runner.  He struggles with ball placement, he underthrows receivers and he often holds onto his first read too long...but you're clearly not trying to have a conversation, so it aint worth my time.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, JiF said:

Legit, this dumbest sh*t I've ever heard.  I dont know how many times I need to tell you, mph isnt a thing.

Yes, Lawrence played better one game.  Cool.  Still rather have Fields because I like his game better; arm, vision, placement, long ball, legs.  IMO - are all better than Lawrence. I can go find you 100 articles verifying what I'm saying; his arm is good, not great.  He's fast, not some elusive runner.  He struggles with ball placement, he underthrows receivers and he often holds onto his first read too long...but you're clearly not trying to have a conversation, so it aint worth my time.

Lol, find those articles for me then. I'll wait. And dog, don't pull Mahomes on me, I was one of the few people on this board that wanted the Jets to draft his ass.

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I prefer Lawrence, but as much as I go back and forth with some here about it (ex: @JiF), you can’t really go wrong with either guy.  They are both phenomenal prospects.  Trey Lance is the only one of the big 3 I would totally avoid.  After yesterday it is abundantly clear that he needs to go back to NDSU for one more season or, at the very least, sit for a year in the NFL.

I only saw highlights of Lance and I've legit, never seen him play and he plays at NDSU, so just in general, I'd pass but yeah, I agree both Lawrence and Fields are solid prospects, though neither are generational and cant miss and I just cant stand the ridiculousness hype that's going on with Lawrence.  It's over the top on this board.

Lawrence, is not perfect.  In fact, he's got some flaws as I've pointed out, that I'd be highly concerned about at the next level and overall, the bigger piece of this is, the NFL is going in a direction and I think Fields fit that direction better. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Give me the guy who processes information quickly, make good decisions and delivers the ball accurately over the guy with the bigger arm any day.

As sometime who hasn't a ton of either, which of the two is that guy?

Literally Lawrence, right now Fields is still a work in progress when it comes to going through progressions. He also has bigger accuracy concerns then Lawrence with his ball placement.