Trevor Lawerence vs Justin Fields

Trevor Lawerence vs Justin Fields  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we draft at potentially #1?

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep seeing the Darnold-to-Pitt rumors, which should be terrifying for Jets fans. IMO, whoever the next coach is should want one crack at Darnold anyway because it’s smart career-wise. If Daboll/Bieniemy/Whoever props Darnold up, he looks a coaching genius, and if Darnold washes out it’s “oh well, he sucked before I got here.” Like a coaching redshirt season. 

Watch Chicago too, that is unless Ryan Pace and Nagy get fired.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That’s why I edited my post to elaborate and include the scenario of us selecting Fields, who busts. 

T0m is right.  If the Jets panic pick Fields (or Lance), they fail, Darnold is traded, and he thrives for another franchise, Douglas will be fired before he can pack his bags.  Like it or not, Douglas chose to not surround Sam with talent or a competent coach to see if he could pull off the impossible, prevent him from drafting his guy and prove his worth in a hopeless situation.  That will have repercussions if his guy is a bust and Sam rejuvenates himself, ala Tannehill.

I also think the consensus around football is that 1. Darnold is legitimately talented and 1a. The Jets has screwed him up and over in every way possible. Especially if Darnold ends up missing a few weeks, they can avoid signing him to an extension this offseason. Why not use the #2 or #3 on JaMarr Chase and give him one year post-Gase? Worst case scenario, Darnold sucks again next year, Fields looks decent for a rookie in Jacksonville, and you move forward with letting the next coach pick his QB.

• Upvote 2

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Risk vs Reward stick with Darnold who seems be a bust or draft Lawrence who could be a superstar like Mahomes,Jackson. 

For what it’s worth, I don’t think there is a chance that they pass on Lawrence.  It’s Fields or Lance that they may pass on.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

I also think the consensus around football is that 1. Darnold is legitimately talented and 1a. The Jets has screwed him up and over in every way possible. Especially if Darnold ends up missing a few weeks, they can avoid signing him to an extension this offseason. Why not use the #2 or #3 on JaMarr Chase and give him one year post-Gase? Worst case scenario, Darnold sucks again next year, Fields looks decent for a rookie in Jacksonville, and you move forward with letting the next coach pick his QB.

Sounds good @T0mShane but its going to take Jamar Chase and Ju-Ju Smith Schuster to help save Sam Darnold. 

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself, especially if they miss out on Lawrence, take Fields who busts, and this comes to fruition and haunts us for the next decade:8AFB981D-17CF-4CA9-977D-4C9B5AFAE640.thumb.jpeg.fe911a85baec3f41c8b46217b7f8421f.jpeg

I agree with your point but when has a Jets player moved onto another team and ended up being a star? The biggest one I can think of in my lifetime is Farrior who became a stud at Pitt but never a world beater. Other than that I can't think of many,.....maybe Woodhead, and it's looking like Robby will fit that profile.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree, wholeheartedly.  As far as the draft goes, if you’re at #2 or #3 and WR is your target, you can almost certainly trade down and accumulate more than just a star WR.

Just now, RobR said:

I agree with your point but when has a Jets player moved onto another team and ended up being a star? The biggest one I can think of in my lifetime is Farrior who became a stud at Pitt but never a world beater. Other than that I can't think of many,.....maybe Woodhead, and it's looking like Robby will fit that profile.

Keyshawn Johnson

John Abraham

James Farrior

Santana Moss

Danny Woodhead

Robby Anderson

That’s just off the top of my head.  Add that list to the list of players who have had night and day success away from Gase and, I gotta admit, it’s a pretty terrifying hypothetical.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Keyshawn Johnson

John Abraham

James Farrior

Santana Moss

Danny Woodhead

Robby Anderson

That’s just off the top of my head.  Add that list to the list of players who have had night and day success away from Gase and, I gotta admit, it’s a pretty terrifying hypothetical.

TBH that's not a murderers row of players besides Abraham. Keyshawn was nothing more than a headache the rest of his career and Moss was always meh. I'm only pointing out that it rarely happens, and has never happened at the QB position. It's about the only thing the Jets get right over the years.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I wouldn't pass on Jamaar Chase to wind up with another Denzel Mims. 

1.  We have no idea how Mims is going to pan out just yet.  Slow your roll amigo.

2.  If Jacksonville picks at #5, wants whatever is left at QB, and we’re at, I don’t know, #3...the draft will likely fall like this with a trade down:

• Lawrence 

• Fields 

• Lance 

• Sewell

That would leave Jamaar Chase sitting right there for us and we will have accumulated a good number of picks.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

TBH that's not a murderers row of players besides Abraham. Keyshawn was nothing more than a headache the rest of his career and Moss was always meh. I'm only pointing out that it rarely happens, and has never happened at the QB position. It's about the only thing the Jets get right over the years.

I mean, to be fair, if we’re going to champion guys like Woodhead and Robby as “big oof” moves, we should definitely include Keyshawn and Moss.

As for your point about moving on from QBs, yeah, when we break em, we usually do so beyond repair.

2 minutes ago, Icer said:

Demario Davis has had a better post-Jet career than most of those guys sans-Abraham.

There is always going to be SOME guys because that is what free agency is all about and it happens to every team. When it comes to the Jets we have to go back decades to even get a top 10 list.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I agree, wholeheartedly.  As far as the draft goes, if you’re at #2 or #3 and WR is your target, you can almost certainly trade down and accumulate more than just a star WR.

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I wouldn't pass on Jamaar Chase to wind up with another Denzel Mims. 

I agree with Joe here, because of the same principle applied to Fields paranoia: every one of those LSU #1 receivers kills it in the NFL it seems. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with Joe here, because of the same principle applied to Fields paranoia: every one of those LSU #1 receivers kills it in the NFL it seems. 

See my reply to Joe for this exact scenario.  I’m sure you’ll feel better, lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Who's coming out in 2022 .. maybe we can suck to such a degree that the rest of the NFL feels sorry for us and just awards us the pick... the flopping mindset is for losers, or guys that live in their parents basements because the have never seen the light of day.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Kedon Slovis - another USC QB

Sam Howell - Baker Mayfield, but not good.

Those are the top 2 right now.

On 10/3/2020 at 8:46 AM, Augustiniak said:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if the jets and giants get the 1st and 2nd picks and take Lawrence and fields.  It’s actually not that far fetched, since jones looks like a turnover machine.  

If Jet fans are split 50/50 on Darnold, Giant fans are split 90/10 in favor of ditching Jones.

Some are complaining about Jason Garrett's playcalling but most seem ready to ditch Jones.

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For what it’s worth, I don’t think there is a chance that they pass on Lawrence.  It’s Fields or Lance that they may pass on.

Correct.

Darnold vs. Lawrence isn’t an interesting question. We all take Lawrence there.

The more interesting (and more likely to become relevant) question is Darnold vs. everyone not named Lawrence. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Given how bad Wentz has regressed, you’d have to think even the Eagles would take Lawrence if they somehow ended up with the first overall.

I would.

I'm don't believe there is a team with a legit shot at getting the number 1 pick that wouldn't take Lawrence. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Given how bad Wentz has regressed, you’d have to think even the Eagles would take Lawrence if they somehow ended up with the first overall.

A win and a draw thus far + getting to play in the NFC East tells me they aren't really coming close to # 1.  So that's good.....

• 3 weeks later...

Fields finally hit the field on Saturday. I tuned in briefly and he had a perfect first half. The only incompletion was a ball his receiver dropped in the end zone. I’m looking forward to watching him the rest of the year. I think he could be better than Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Fields finally hit the field on Saturday. I tuned in briefly and he had a perfect first half. The only incompletion was a ball his receiver dropped in the end zone. I’m looking forward to watching him the rest of the year. I think he could be better than Lawrence.

I don't want to come across as the deliberate contrarian - cause if the draft was today, i would take TL, no question... but Fields is the real deal as far as I'm concerned... so the question for the GM is--

Are we really that much better off taking TL over Fields, vs (if possible) trading back and pouring those extra 2-3 top 40 picks into the roster. You don't NEED TL to win a lombardi. Path of least resistance, yes, but TL vs Fields on sunday - team with more talent is probably going to have an the edge. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/4/2020 at 10:35 PM, Mogglez said:

Keyshawn Johnson

John Abraham

James Farrior

Santana Moss

Danny Woodhead

Robby Anderson

Vilma?

On 10/3/2020 at 8:26 AM, JiF said:

I'm on record, obviously subject to change once OSU starts playing but if you're giving me a choice right now, Lawrence or Fields, I'm taking Fields.  

I said this in the "generational talent thread" but it fits here too.  I cant wait to see OSU get playing because IMO Fields is the more intriguing prospect.  There is a trend going on in the NFL and it's real and Fields fit that trend.  The QB's that have been taken lately with a skill set that you just straight up cant teach (Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Murrary, Jackson, Allen) over the traditional polished pocket passer.  That is Fields.  He brings a skill set to the table Lawrence could only dream of.  If you havent been paying attention, that is what you want in a prospect these days. 

So my assessment really hasnt changed, I like Fields better.  That said, it's for reasons that I didnt think.  Fields isnt as twitchy as I thought he was, much less dual threat as advertised.  He can obviously run and make plays; see the spin move he made on the TD but I think Lawrence brings just as much with the legs.  Fields is just straight up a better passer.  His accuracy, ball placement, timing and rhythm are next level and I think more advanced then Lawrence.  And then when you considered that everything Fields attempts is vertical and the way he takes care of the ball, it's hard to ignore.  The 1 thing I think I see though that is different this season; Lawrence has more responsibility at the LOS than Fields.  Fields still takes his cues from the sidelines but he's also going through more progressions this season whereas Trevor is still hitting his 1st read and throwing a ton of passes behind the LOS and while he's gotten a bit better with ball placement, it's still clearly a big struggle when attempting balls over 5 yards. 

2 great prospects, I like Fields more.  I would 100% trade down accumulate more picks and take Justin Fields if I were the GM of the NY Jets.

• Upvote 3

Still more games to play but it does seem like both Lawrence and  Fields are a better option for us than Darnold. Zach Wilson is also going to be an option in the top 10. TBD on Trey Lance.

Darnold has fallen far enough that he may be gone even if we don’t get the number 1 pick.

Who’s better between TL, Fields and Wilson, I’ll let everyone else argue about that. So far they all look like upgrades over Darnold.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:20 AM, FidelioJet said:

Which one is a bigger threat to run?

That's who I want.  In today's NFL running QB's have a much bigger impact than they used to - and a team has three things going for them than before..

1) You just can't hit QB's the way you used to, even when they're running.  And these QB's are def. smarter now and learning how to use the slide to their advantage.  

2) With the rookie salary scale, if they get hurt - You're not screwed for 5 years.  Yeah, you wasted a pick but we do that all the time on DT's.  Your back-up can be another running QB that can be found later in the draft - or all over FA.

3) You can win right away with them.  You don't need 3 years to groom this type of prospect.

Get 5 good years out of a guy and move on to the next one if you have to.

Build a solid OL (doesn't need to be great) with the rest of your premium resources going into WR.  

Wasn't this the game plan when the Jets drafted Darnold? How did this work out? Are we seriously putting faith in the Jets to get it right a second time around?