Trevor Lawerence vs Justin Fields

Trevor Lawerence vs Justin Fields  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we draft at potentially #1?

On 10/4/2020 at 10:55 PM, Mogglez said:

Kedon Slovis - another USC QB

Sam Howell - Baker Mayfield, but not good.

Those are the top 2 right now.

Myles Brennan from LSU might be another , he sat behind Burrow but has a stronger arm with maybe a little less mobility than Joe . His father was a college LB and he has the football smarts but IMO lacks the outstanding field presence Burrow did. Right now a raw prospect but could climb the ranks very quickly. 

On 10/3/2020 at 7:56 AM, Mark78 said:

We already “sucked for Sam”; how many cycles of looking for the franchise QB and rebuilding do we have to go through.  Can’t wait just for some stability!

It is more about paying Sam 30mil a year. I don’t see Douglas offering him that contract.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

So my assessment really hasnt changed, I like Fields better.  That said, it's for reasons that I didnt think.  Fields isnt as twitchy as I thought he was, much less dual threat as advertised.  He can obviously run and make plays; see the spin move he made on the TD but I think Lawrence brings just as much with the legs.  Fields is just straight up a better passer.  His accuracy, ball placement, timing and rhythm are next level and I think more advanced then Lawrence.  And then when you considered that everything Fields attempts is vertical and the way he takes care of the ball, it's hard to ignore.  The 1 thing I think I see though that is different this season; Lawrence has more responsibility at the LOS than Fields.  Fields still takes his cues from the sidelines but he's also going through more progressions this season whereas Trevor is still hitting his 1st read and throwing a ton of passes behind the LOS and while he's gotten a bit better with ball placement, it's still clearly a big struggle when attempting balls over 5 yards. 

2 great prospects, I like Fields more.  I would 100% trade down accumulate more picks and take Justin Fields if I were the GM of the NY Jets.

I 100%agree with everything that you stated except for possibly the last paragraph. I would be concerned about moving down past #2 based on so many teams needing a QB. I doubt that the #2 team would give us much to flip with them. If so I would be all for it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I 100%agree with everything that you stated except for possibly the last paragraph. I would be concerned about moving down past #2 based on so many teams needing a QB. I doubt that the #2 team would give us much to flip with them. If so I would be all for it.

Too early to see the battlefield with that level of clarity. 

I think the msg is to keep an open mind and not put those blinders on. There's a few hands JD could play. I hope he doesn't settle on going all in without seeing what the flop holds. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Too early to see the battlefield with that level of clarity. 

I think the msg is to keep an open mind and not put those blinders on. There's a few hands JD could play. I hope he doesn't settle on going all in without seeing what the flop holds. 

That’s a fair observation.

On 10/3/2020 at 1:11 PM, Jetster said:

Geno Smith dropped into the 2nd round for a reason & of course the Jets were stupid enough to think he was great value there. I'll make a bet with you that Trevor Lawrence doesn't drop into the 2nd round ?.

So did pretty much everyone.

Happens

On 10/4/2020 at 5:19 PM, JiF said:

Fields not only has the size to be successful in the NFL, but he also has the arm strength and accuracy to move the ball down the field. Fields was able to connect on 67 percent of his throws last season. He tends to load up his arm and use his velocity to fit the ball into tight windows.

I agree, he has more than enough arm.

But where does it say:

1.  TL doesnt

2.  Fields has the stronger arm

3.  That it will mean squat to either when they play in the NFL?

On 10/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, FidelioJet said:

The question I have is...

Let's assume w have the #1 pick...

Is there value in trading down from #1 - getting a massive haul of picks and then taking Fields.

I don't know how you can work something like that out, but what would be the better value.

If Trevor is clear and above all other QBs in this draft take him and use the other 17 picks the next 2 years 3 number 1's. 3 number 3's, etc. to build more on Oline, WR, TE, RB, Edge rusher, CB, etc. If we get an even average HC with all that I mentioned we would have to be pretty competitive at that point. Heck, the best team in our division in the Bills struggled against this godforsaken Jets team and its HC yesterday, and the other 2 teams in NE and Fins shouldn't be world beaters unless Tua is like Murray, so we get Lawrence and all those other drafted players and $100M+ cap space of FAs that we could hopefully do better at picking, this division can be something we can compete for moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree, he has more than enough arm.

But where does it say:

1.  TL doesnt

2.  Fields has the stronger arm

3.  That it will mean squat to either when they play in the NFL?

1. It doesnt.  

2. I said it

3. It cant hurt

but your questions are missing the context of the conversation we are having.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:05 PM, JiF said:

Ugh, fine but before I share these, I'll have you know, I gave you my report.  What I see with my own eyes because these bozo experts get it wrong, all the time.  I rarely listen to what they say and always go with what I see over there silly takes like mph and whatever other dumb sh*t it out there.

Apparently, a quick search shows I'm not the only one who sees the flaws in his game;

https://thebrawlnetwork.com/articles/trevor-lawrence-2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-and-player-review/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854356-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-scouts-divided-on-trevor-lawrences-nfl-future

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-trevor-lawrence-qb-similar-to-deshaun-watson

https://thespun.com/acc/clemson-tigers/nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-projection-accuracy-issues-matt-miller

https://fansided.com/2020/08/12/trevor-lawrence-amazing-not-perfect-says-former-nfl-quarterback/

https://nfldraftlounge.com/trevor-lawrence-is-not-a-perfect-qb-prospect-yet/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854356-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-scouts-divided-on-trevor-lawrences-nfl-future:

Year old, before last season

https://thebrawlnetwork.com/articles/trevor-lawrence-2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-and-player-review/: 

his short and medium throws are typically on the dot. Defenses have to respect his arm talent constantly. If there is no window to fit the ball to his receivers, he usually finds a way to create the window in ways that are honestly very incredible.

Lawrence has the ability to make every throw look easy. Whether on the run or throwing with planted feet, Lawrence has the gift to get the ball to his receivers in awkward ways. He does not need a whole lot of time and space to make throws down the field. Throws such as the one below require A-grade arm strength. His ability to extend plays is worth noting as well.

Conclusion: Trevor Lawrence is a generational talent

Lawrence possesses a majority of the traits to be a successful NFL quarterback: Size, speed, arm talent, accuracy, and leadership. There will be a few playerslooking to be the number one pick next season, but as of now, Lawrence has the edge. In my opinion, Lawrence is better overall than Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa, which would have made him the number one overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-trevor-lawrence-qb-similar-to-deshaun-watson:

What I liked: Lawrence has an ideal blend of size, athleticism, arm strength and toughness. He's very urgent in his movement during his drop and he uses that suddenness to escape when pressured. Lawrence has a compact delivery, but he can adjust his arm angle and get the ball out even more quickly when needed. He's able to drive the ball outside the numbers, and he's also unafraid to work in the middle of the field. He flashes the ability to layer the ball over second-level defenders and in front of third-level defenders. He throws with excellent anticipation and timing.

The junior signal-caller is a creative playmaker when the play breaks down and he is very dangerous on designed quarterback runs. He will lower his shoulder to take on defenders, but his speed is his greatest asset as a runner. His overall competitiveness and toughness are evident in each game I viewed. He will hang in to take big hits from the pocket and he will fight for the extra yard as a ball-carrier.

I stopped

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

1. It doesnt.  

2. I said it

3. It cant hurt

but your questions are missing the context of the conversation we are having.

Well there you have it.

1.  So he has more than enough arm strength

2.  No one else says it.  Its an easy one

3. If you have the arm to make all the throws, thats all that counts.  Browning N had a better arm that all of these guys and sucked ass

Never heard so much over play over arm strength for two guys who arent weak armed.

Face it, and I would take either, Lawrence is the golden boy, top of the food chain prospect right now.

I got the context perfectly,  You wrote, quite clearly Fields arm >> Lawrences arm.  And while neither has anything to cry about, thats wrong.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well there you have it.

1.  So he has more than enough arm strength

2.  No one else says it.  Its an easy one

3. If you have the arm to make all the throws, thats all that counts.  Browning N had a better arm that all of these guys and sucked ass

Never heard so much over play over arm strength for two guys who arent weak armed.

Face it, and I would take either, Lawrence is the golden boy, top of the food chain prospect right now.

I got the context perfectly,  You wrote, quite clearly Fields arm >> Lawrences arm.  And while neither has anything to cry about, thats wrong.

I really dont know what you're arguing or what your point is here but I'll repeat myself and summarize my thoughts if that helps. 

I never said Lawrence had a weak arm.  I said, I dont see an elite arm.  It's good, not great and I think Fields arm is better.  I never said that was going to be the difference in the NFL, just simply comparing the arms of 2 prospects.  

And you did miss the context, I dont give a lily **** about what some talking head say.  They are wrong, all the time.  I'm giving you my take and I'm not hiding the fact I like Fields better.  I understand I'm in the minority, I'm fine with that, I'm not offended by it and if you disagree cool but you're not convincing me I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I really dont know what you're arguing or what your point is here but I'll repeat myself and summarize my thoughts if that helps. 

I never said Lawrence had a weak arm.  I said, I dont see an elite arm.  It's good, not great and I think Fields arm is better.  I never said that was going to be the difference in the NFL, just simply comparing the arms of 2 prospects.  

And you did miss the context, I dont give a lily **** about what some talking head say.  They are wrong, all the time.  I'm giving you my take and I'm not hiding the fact I like Fields better.  I understand I'm in the minority, I'm fine with that, I'm not offended by it and if you disagree cool but you're not convincing me I'm wrong.

You brought up Fields having a better arm.  I dont care, it makes little difference but youre wrong IMO. Thats all.  You keep harping on it

And talking heads are cool when you post links attempting to back up what you say.  But I never even posted a link to anyone.  I dont see the arm strength issue you see

I've said Fields might be the better pro, I've said if they want Fields I have no problem with it.  Ive said at their level the arms mean little, you told be it doesnt hurt

I have no idea why youre arguing with me, I haven't even said who I would take 

Simple, that all

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You brought up Fields having a better arm.  I dont care, it makes little difference but youre wrong IMO. Thats all.  You keep harping on it

And talking heads are cool when you post links attempting to back up what you say.  But I never even posted a link to anyone.  I dont see the arm strength issue you see

I've said Fields might be the better pro, I've said if they want Fields I have no problem with it.  Ive said at their level the arms mean little, you told be it doesnt hurt

I have no idea why youre arguing with me, I haven't even said who I would take 

Simple, that all

Harping on it?  dude, you quoted a post from 10/4.  lmfao  You started this whole back and forth when I was talking to someone else in which, and here you go again, are taking sh*t out of context.  I provided those links because he asked me too!!! lmfao and I did begrudgingly while prefacing in the post that they meant nothing !!!  lol

You've told me I'm wrong numerous times.  So dont act like this all just been nice little innocent talk on your part.  lol

❤️