Does the Rex Ryan regime still look so bad?

NYJ1

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I feel as if Rex could still be an excellent coach. Just don't allow him to make personnel decisions.

He screwed up falling in love with Sanchez. All the Rex positive affirmations amounted to a hill of beans because Sanchez was not NFL ready.

To take the Jets to consecutive AFC Championships with Sanchez was quite a feat if you ask me.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Vlad Ducasse and Kyle Wilson say hello. So does does Braylon and Cotch. 

Tanny was a poor executive ..better than MAC or Idzik but let’s not re write history.  We had some early success when Mangini was here but after that was shlt. 

What? You're just going to stop there? One 1st and one 2nd? Why don't you tell the truth? Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, Muhammad Wilkerson (even a total nerd in a whorehouse with a credit card gets laid every once in a while), Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill.... Tanny .... For all the good he did building our roster, he completely erased all the good he did by ruining the roster.

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Your reminder that nobody in the NFL has so much as brought Rex Ryan in for an interview since he was run out of Buffalo in 2016.

And retaining Rex Ryan is the singular mistake that put this franchise on the downward spiral we are currently in.  Rex Ryan is Jets Drano.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Your reminder that nobody in the NFL has so much as brought Rex Ryan in for an interview since he was run out of Buffalo in 2016.

To be fair, the guy puts feet in his mouth. He’s not getting an interview these days for at least one more season. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And retaining Rex Ryan is the singular mistake that put this franchise on the downward spiral we are currently in.  Rex Ryan is Jets Drano.

SAR I

Remember the celebration in the locker room after that win against the Dolphins when Woody announced both Rex and Idzik were coming back? It was what, maybe a week, when the Eagles let Andy Reid go?  You and I have disagreed in the past about how good the Bills are, but give the Pegulas credit...they saw through Rex's BS in 18 mos.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don’t necessarily buy into the whole Rex inherited then key pieces from mangini but he did have brick, mangold and revis in their prime and then we can throw in Moore, cotchery, Harris , Ellis, Rhodes, and woody.  Not a bad group of players to start a football team with.  Rex got Leonard and Scott added and I think he was also a draw for other players. But when the pieces started to be removed, Rex had no plan ( or maybe no input) as to the players that tannyand idzik brought. The whole Holmes and Buress fiasco really set thing back not to mention Sanchez getting injured in a stupid preseason game.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

He screwed up falling in love with Sanchez. All the Rex positive affirmations amounted to a hill of beans because Sanchez was not NFL ready.

To take the Jets to consecutive AFC Championships with Sanchez was quite a feat if you ask me.

Keep Brandon Marshall and the Jets offense performs better with even Sanchez at the helm....

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, section314 said:

Remember the celebration in the locker room after that win against the Dolphins when Woody announced both Rex and Idzik were coming back? It was what, maybe a week, when the Eagles let Andy Reid go?  You and I have disagreed in the past about how good the Bills are, but give the Pegulas credit...they saw through Rex's BS in 18 mos.

The question is why are the Jets doing the same thing yet again with Gase.... :( 

51 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yup, the ruination of the franchise took place right there.  Similar to when we held on to Coslet and Dan Reeves was out there, or when we held on to Herm Edwards when Tom Coughlin was out there.  Giants kept going with experienced older coaches, Jets kept insisting on high risk rookies.

History now shows the smarter play would have been to retain Tannenbaum, retain Schottenheimer, and try to develop Sanchez.  Instead, they bow to public pressure and all the media love for big mouthed Rex Ryan, and the stupid fans with their "we love Rex it's not Rex's fault" narratives, and did the opposite.  And we've been circling the drain ever since.

That's why it's refreshing that Christopher Johnson is telling the fans to go F themselves while he stays the course with the Gase/Douglas partnership to turn this thing around.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

How quickly we forget. I liked Rex. Seemed like a fun guy to play for. His teams were undisciplined, his vaunted defenses couldn’t get off the field on third downs and they couldn’t defend against tight ends. He was atrocious at player development and even worse at evaluating talent. His choices of OC’s were embarrassing. 

Two AFCCGs in a row and his teams collapsed twice. But, I guess he was funny during press conferences—so yeah—let’s bring him back. 

• Post of the Week 1

Should’ve kept Rex. Woody was like those people who dump their spouse because they can hypothetically do better. Well now it should be obvious we cannot. Rex was peak Jets. He wasn’t perfect but he was the best we could get.

• Sympathy 1

No red ryan was the most successful coach in our history.

He was far more successful than parcels. He gets no credit and failed in the end, but no denying he was the best we've ever had as bad as that is.

After 4 years of and one full season plus of Adam Gase, are you still so down on Rex Ryan? I'm not. Rex Ryan would definitely have had this team playing better over the last 5+ seasons. The one constant would be DEFENSE. Rex's defense was never any worse than what? 10th? In toilets regime the defense steadily fell in ranking into the 20's. Currently, under Greg Williams, this defense is giving up 30+ points per game to guys that have never started an NFL game. Put Rex back here and give him a GM that knows how to select talent? That sounds to me to be INFINITELY better than any of the last almost 6 seasons.....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2020 at 6:36 AM, T0mShane said:

The Jets are where they are right now because of the work of the “Rex regime.” 

Seriously 

Everyone just wants to look back on those 2009/2010 teams (the core of which was largely built by Mangini and Tannenbaum) and ignore the 4 years of clownish bullsh*t that followed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Seriously 

Everyone just wants to look back on those 2009/2010 teams (the core of which was largely built by Mangini and Tannenbaum) and ignore the 4 years of clownish bullsh*t that followed.

Exactly.

Rex Ryan was given the opportunity to turn around not one but two NFL teams post-2011.  And he bombed at both.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2020 at 1:10 PM, Untouchable said:

Seriously 

Which was what?  Woody telling Bradway and Rex no forget about that Wilson kid from Wisconsin I just traded for Tim Tebow?

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Which was what?  Woody telling Bradway and Rex no forget about that Wilson kid from Wisconsin I just traded for Tim Tebow?

Rex and Tanny straight up admitted that they were about to board a flight together when the news broke about Denver bringing in Peyton. They then decided to try to make a move for Tebow.

Rex is also the clown who preferred Coples over Melvin Ingram and drafted Calvin Pryor in the Top 20 because, and I quote, “he hits hard”.

Yeah, those 2009/2010 teams were fun to watch, even though the only real contribution Rex made to the roster was bringing in guys like Sanchez, Jimmy Leonhard and Marques Douglas.

But it doesn’t excuse the half decade of Ringling Bros ineptitude that followed (and still trickles down).

Rex had two quality years and then we turned into a walking sh*tshow.

And then he went on to ruin a Buffalo defense that Jim Schwartz was turning into a powerhouse before Sean McDermott ultimately revived it.

I don’t miss him, to say the least.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Rex and Tanny straight up admitted that they were about to board a flight together when the news broke about Denver bringing in Peyton. They then decided to try to make a move for Tebow.

Rex is also the clown who preferred Coples over Melvin Ingram and drafted Calvin Pryor in the Top 20 because, and I quote, “he hits hard”.

Yeah, those 2009/2010 teams were fun to watch, even though the only real contribution Rex made to the roster was bringing in guys like Sanchez, Jimmy Leonhard and Marques Douglas.

But it doesn’t excuse the half decade of Ringling Bros ineptitude that followed (and still trickles down).

And then he went on to ruin a Buffalo defense that Jim Schwartz was turning into a powerhouse before Sean McDermott ultimately revived it.

Got link?

On 10/3/2020 at 8:38 AM, Scoop24 said:

Truthfully i kinda miss tanny . Yeah he couldnt manage the cap for sh*t. But atleast he went after players worth talking about . 

tanny did for Mark Sanchez what Macc couldnt do for Darnold.

Then, in year 3, he did exactly to Sanchez what Mac/JD have done to Darnold.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What choice?  Mangini the “real GM” drove Brett Favre out of New York.  Rex inherited arguably the 3 worst quarterbacks to ever be on an nfl roster with Rat/Clemens/Ainge

The GM and the coach could have easily went and got a good to decent vet, the kind that are available every single year.  The team was built to win now (The team mangini built) and they chose to trade up and take a rookie who sucked more than he did not.

Blaming people who are no longer with he organization for organizational decisions is weak.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:52 AM, NYJ1 said:

What? You're just going to stop there? One 1st and one 2nd? Why don't you tell the truth? Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, Muhammad Wilkerson (even a total nerd in a whorehouse with a credit card gets laid every once in a while), Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill.... Tanny .... For all the good he did building our roster, he completely erased all the good he did by ruining the roster.

I don’t think I’d lay wilky on tangy or Rex or idzik. Wilky was pretty darn for his first few seasons. He because a total slug when Mac re-signed him to big money.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just checked again. Still true.

As much as I’m not a fan, I figured he would’ve landed a job at a pretty major college by now.

Most 20 year old kids would eat up Rex’ bullsh*t from a silver platter.

I said basically the same thing about Herm years before Arizona State hired him.

And Rex is essentially Herm on steroids.

IDK, maybe he doesn’t want to coach college and is satisfied with his current gig. After all, Rex and ESPN are a match made in heaven.

Stupid is as stupid does

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

And Bart Scott.  Whatever the reason the jets went downhill pretty fast after 2010 and Rex was there for 4 of those years. Tanny gets launched and they bring in idzik who maybe had a sense the team needed overhaul but didn’t know how to draft players. Geno May have had some ability but he turned out to be a complete punk. Idzik goes and Mac comes in and spends a ton. 2015 was a fun season except for them missing the playoffs and in 2016 mac botches the fitzy contract, Geno becomes more of a cancer than usual and the injury bug hits the team. With decker out Marshall gets double teamed and there’s no one else to throw to. And then Mac never does address the Qb issue until he trades up to get darnold. So here we are.

was it all rex’s Fault? No but he had a hand in influencing this team’s direction until he was launched in 2015.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The GM and the coach could have easily went and got a good to decent vet, the kind that are available every single year.  The team was built to win now (The team mangini built) and they chose to trade up and take a rookie who sucked more than he did not.

Blaming people who are no longer with he organization for organizational decisions is weak.

I don't blame Tannenbaum or Rex for drafting Mark Sanchez, even though he had a highly questionable college resume.  Teams miss on QB's.  It happens.

The real sin was when they gave him an unearned contract extension, purely because they felt bad for hurting his feelings while trying to sign Peyton Manning.

Sanchez should have been forced to play out the final year of his deal and prove he was worthy of an extension.   But as it often happened in the Tannenbaum/Rex regime, money flowed to unworthy players.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

As much as I’m not a fan, I figured he would’ve landed a job at a pretty major college by now.

Most 20 year old kids would eat up Rex’ bullsh*t from a silver platter.

I said basically the same thing about Herm years before Arizona State hired him.

And Rex is essentially Herm on steroids.

IDK, maybe he doesn’t want to coach college and is satisfied with his current gig. After all, Rex and ESPN are a match made in heaven.

Stupid is as stupid does

He expressed strong interest in the U of Miami job in 2018, after Mark Richt retired.  They didn't even give him an interview.

On 10/3/2020 at 7:38 AM, Scoop24 said:

Truthfully i kinda miss tanny . Yeah he couldnt manage the cap for sh*t. But atleast he went after players worth talking about . 

tanny did for Mark Sanchez what Macc couldnt do for Darnold.

Is that right?

Because I remember Tannenbaum switching WRs year after year on Sanchez.