Meaningless Wins

I was thinking about the 3 2nd rounders we traded to Indy to move up to draft Sam.  If we had those picks, maybe the team wouldn't be the disaster that we currently are.  I can't quite remember the 2017 draft situation details all that well so I could be wrong about this but, I think if we finished 4-12 (instead of 5-11) we would've had the 3rd pick without having to trade our 2nd rounders.  We ended up 5-11 that year but Indy and Houston were both 4-12 (the Giants were 3-13 and Cleveland was 0-16).

The "meaningless game" that we won was against KC.  (IIRC, that was the game Marcus Peters threw the ref's flag into the crowd, leading to an unsportsman-like conduct penalty.  Pic below).

Anyway, assuming these assumptions are correct (and if memory serves, I kind of think they are), then that game could be why we're in the abyss right now.  Crazy if so but something to think about as we watch another year of inept football.

SIDE NOTE: I remember Maxman had the "SAR optimism" back then.  When we were 0-3, he said we'd be 3-3.  The difference, of course, is that Maxman was right!  lol

481816999_JetsFanFlagMarcusPetersChiefs.thumb.jpg.5ef1f859d3a1133b88d45c8be03f992f.jpg

image.png.2b522ce7b1fbd43feebf4647ff7f20cb.png

image.thumb.png.2b334d8cfc4f33af80437c0df1dfd494.png

• Upvote 2

0-16 and evaluating Sam are the biggest priorities the rest of 2020.

We either draft his replacement,

or Sam proves he’s the guy (somehow without us winning) for the next coaching staff, and we trade #1 for a fortune and  finish the rebuild with the war chest.

Winning any games is an absolute detriment to the NYJ longterm...as Gase will be a goner, and we’ll be starting from scratch with a mostly new roster and completely new coaching staff next year.

46 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

0-16 and evaluating Sam are the biggest priorities the rest of 2020.

We either draft his replacement,

or Sam proves he’s the guy (somehow without us winning) for the next coaching staff, and we trade #1 for a fortune and  finish the rebuild with the war chest.

Winning any games is an absolute detriment to the NYJ longterm...as Gase will be a goner, and we’ll be starting from scratch with a mostly new roster and completely new coaching staff next year.

I personally think it’s going to be extremely hard for Darnold to prove that he is worth keeping without winning a lot more games than we currently think is possible. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MTJ06 said:

Josh Allen and 3 seconds or Darnold?

The jets haven’t drafted well for a very long time. Having three seconds would be great but hackenberg, Smith, etc... all were terrible. I’m down on Sam too but Allen would probably look worse here with this team based on the game he plays. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was thinking about the 3 2nd rounders we traded to Indy to move up to draft Sam.  If we had those picks, maybe the team wouldn't be the disaster that we currently are.  I can't quite remember the 2017 draft situation details all that well so I could be wrong about this but, I think if we finished 4-12 (instead of 5-11) we would've had the 3rd pick without having to trade our 2nd rounders.  We ended up 5-11 that year but Indy and Houston were both 4-12 (the Giants were 3-13 and Cleveland was 0-16).

The "meaningless game" that we won was against KC.  (IIRC, that was the game Marcus Peters threw the ref's flag into the crowd, leading to an unsportsman-like conduct penalty.  Pic below).

Anyway, assuming these assumptions are correct (and if memory serves, I kind of think they are), then that game could be why we're in the abyss right now.  Crazy if so but something to think about as we watch another year of inept football.

SIDE NOTE: I remember Maxman had the "SAR optimism" back then.  When we were 0-3, he said we'd be 3-3.  The difference, of course, is that Maxman was right!  lol

481816999_JetsFanFlagMarcusPetersChiefs.thumb.jpg.5ef1f859d3a1133b88d45c8be03f992f.jpg

image.png.2b522ce7b1fbd43feebf4647ff7f20cb.png

image.thumb.png.2b334d8cfc4f33af80437c0df1dfd494.png

All of those 5 wins were meaningless that year.  There was no reason to start McCown when every other vet had been cut or traded in an obvious tank season.  

24 minutes ago, usanyj said:

The jets haven’t drafted well for a very long time. Having three seconds would be great but hackenberg, Smith, etc... all were terrible. I’m down on Sam too but Allen would probably look worse here with this team based on the game he plays. 

Josh Allen would be running all over the field, And an upgrade overall at this point, and even if we only hit on 1-3 of the second rounds picks we are still better off

Izdikhead drafted 1 good player. Mac traded him away. Mac drafted 1 good player. JD traded him away. JD drafted 1 good player. Being the Jet, the next GM will trade him away. 
Bottom line: Jets don’t keep good draft picks.

mekhi’s mama already plotting her little boy’s getaway.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Izdikhead drafted 1 good player. Mac traded him away. Mac drafted 1 good player. JD traded him away. JD drafted 1 good player. Being the Jet, the next GM will trade him away. 

Bottom line: Jets don’t keep good draft picks.

Once players want to get paid, Jets get rid of them. Great strategy according to all the arm chair GMs here. Gotta save that cap to sign good players! But somehow the second half of that equation never manifests.

No one expected the injuries to pile up again like last year. You show me a team losing its entire starting WRs & playing a backup Center at LT & I'll show you a losing team. The offense at least has an abundance of injury excuses. 

The defense is absolutely ALARMING! You put 28 points up vs a 3rd string practice squad QB that's a win 99.9% of the time in this league. Remember watching Fales last year? There was a time when the Saints had a defense like this & the coach was Gregg Williams. 

19 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

Could have stayed at 6, saved the 3 picks,  and drafted Josh Allen...

Or Lamar Jackson. The picks do hurt this team because those players would be coming into their own . Of course this depends on Mac making solid picks. Since he was no better than idzik it’s hard to see.