2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

They will automatically have better talent because they will have Becton and Mims on the team already.  I know Mims hasn'tplayed but from what I have seen of the rookie receivers so far, I think Mims will be right up there with the best of them once he gets comfortable.   Plus unlike with Sam where we had traded away assets just to move up and get him, we already have another first round pick this year and plenty of cap space.   I know all the injuries are very disappointing but I do believe JD drafted some talented players and hopefully they can get on the field this year and get some quality PT and be ready to ball out next year.  Lawrence or Fields will be coming into a much better situation than Sam did.  

Mims is nothing right now.  Let's see if and when he gets on the field.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Except he’s old now. 

He’s got Palmer and Gase and can’t make it work?  That’s on Sam.  He’s a big boy now.  Time to grow up.  

SAR I

Gase is a liability. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

I got blasted in this board for calling him Devin Smith 2.0

Hope I'm wrong. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

You deserved it. It’s a dumb comparison.

Yep.  Devin Smith caught 121 passes over 4 seasons (53 games) in college.  Mims caught 186 passes in just 3+ seasons (40 games).  In his senior season, Smith only caught 33 passes.  Mims caught twice that in his senior campaign.

Smith was 6-1 and primarily just a deep threat.  Mims was 6-3, 10 lbs heavier and while his route tree wasn't particularly expansive, he was more of an all-around WR1 threat.

Mims is a far better prospect than Smith was.  

Mims will be a WR1 in this league, and there will be a lot of fun necro's when the dust settles.  It's going to be fun.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Devin Smith caught 121 passes over 4 seasons (53 games) in college.  Mims caught 186 passes in just 3+ seasons (40 games).  In his senior season, Smith only caught 33 passes.  Mims caught twice that in his senior campaign.

Smith was 6-1 and primarily just a deep threat.  Mims was 6-3, 10 lbs heavier and while his route tree wasn't particularly expansive, he was more of an all-around WR1 threat.

Mims is a far better prospect than Smith was.  

Mims will be a WR1 in this league, and there will be a lot of fun necro's when the dust settles.  It's going to be fun.

I wasnt comparing their college careers. That's all out the window when you get to the NFL, you know this man. 

I was simply comparing the start of their NFL careers, that's all, and so far, it has began like Devin Smith until proven otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Negative. 

He has not played an nfl snap, nor had more than 3 practices and we are a quarter done with the season. With this team's track record he does not get the benefit of the doubt. 

Factually speaking, he has NOT done a single thing to prove he will be good but he HAS done things to prove he wont be.

And since you will argue that... go ahead, tell me something he has done so far to prove he is legit in the NFL. I'll wait. 

lol. so....you automatically assume they will fail before they ever take the field unless they prove otherwise? SOJF

7 hours ago, JTJet said:

I wasnt comparing their college careers. That's all out the window when you get to the NFL, you know this man. 

I was simply comparing the start of their NFL careers, that's all, and so far, it has began like Devin Smith until proven otherwise. 

its nothing like devin smith..devin smith didnt have the production that mims in college and frankly the best thing that was said about him over and over and over by anyone trying to promote him was how well he "tracked the ball" he was a bust along the lines of stephen and I'm not even sure he is in the league anymore and he certainly isnt producing. 

But sure, lets compare him to a player that we just drafted in his first year who has no training camp to speak of, no preseason games and hasnt gotten on the field yet....its exactly the same. 🙄

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Except he’s old now. 

He’s got Palmer and Gase and can’t make it work?  That’s on Sam.  He’s a big boy now.  Time to grow up.  

SAR I

AND Gase? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm not a huge Sam fan but i want him to succeed....but Gase isnt doing him any favors. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mims will be a WR1 in this league.....

We all hope so, but it's a pretty ignominious start to his career so far.

8 hours ago, JTJet said:

It has, but you have to admit Mims is a better prospect on paper than Smith - and we are talking about this before Mims has even played an NFL down yet. 

I tend to agree with 80 that Mims has a chance to be pretty good. 

If Mimi catches a couple of big passes next week, this comparison will start to look silly very fast. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We all hope so, but it's a pretty ignominious start to his career so far.

For sure.  He got swallowed up in the Jets/Gase injury problem.  But people calling Douglas's first draft class a bust or a wash already is a knee-jerk reaction that will not prove to be accurate.  

28 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It has, but you have to admit Mims is a better prospect on paper than Smith - and we are talking about this before Mims has even played an NFL down yet. 

I tend to agree with 80 that Mims has a chance to be pretty good. 

If Mimi catches a couple of big passes next week, this comparison will start to look silly very fast. 

Better prospect no doubt at all. That's not even an argument lol. 

But I'm a jaded Jets fan and I see  what's in front of my eyes ya know? 

Which is nothing, because he isnt on the field. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  He got swallowed up in the Jets/Gase injury problem.  But people calling Douglas's first draft class a bust or a wash already is a knee-jerk reaction that will not prove to be accurate.  

Well, lets look (VERY early look, but still...):

1./11. - Becton (Tackle) - Looks great so far.  Now hurt...

2./59. - Mims (WR) - Hurt.  Hasn't played.

3./68. - Davis (Safety) - 2 games played, no impact.

3./79. - Zuniga (DE) - Has not played.

4./120. - Perine (RB) - 15 carries, 56 yards (3.7 YPA).  2 Receptions for -1 Yards.

4./125. - Morgan (QB) - Has not played.

4./129. - Clark (OL) - Has not played.

5./158. - Hall (CB) - Hurt.  Has not played.

6./191 - Mann (Punter) - 19 punts, 45.1 YPP so far.  An excellent punter to-date.

So of our 2020 Draft Class, we basically have a hurt elite O-line prospect in Becton, and a very good Punter in Mann.  The rest is a giant ???? of not played or hurt and not played.

Given how thin we are as a team in overall talent, I DID expect more playing time and production from this class than what we've seen so far.  I liked JD's draft, but I'm personally disappointed in the first quarter of 2020 from them.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Better prospect no doubt at all. That's not even an argument lol. 

But I'm a jaded Jets fan and I see  what's in front of my eyes ya know? 

Which is nothing, because he isnt on the field. 

Of course. 

And, as a Jets fan, I fully expect him to continue to miss the entire season with alternating hamstring injuries. 

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Of course. 

And, as a Jets fan, I fully expect him to continue to miss the entire season with alternating hamstring injuries. 

That's exactly where I'm at. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JTJet said:

Convince me he isnt then. 

Different kinds of players.  Devin Smith was a straight line speed guy (pre-injuries).  A real one-trick pony on a powerhouse college team.  Might not have been in the top five players on his college team.  Way overdrafted, IMHO.  Mims is a big, strong, possession guy, who also has speed.  Great on 50/50 stuff, something Smith didn't do at all.  Much better college production with a far less impressive supporting cast.  But, more significantly, he hasn't played ONE GAME yet.  And you want to write him off as a bust by comparing him to a very different player who happened to be drafted in the same round.  I'm sure I haven't convinced you but I just don't see it.

• Upvote 1

Ruggs - Injured
Jeudy - playing well (starter)
Lamb - playing extremely well (OROY candidate) (starter)

Reagor - Injured
J Jefferson - Playing extremely well (175 yds last week) (starter)
Aiyuk - Playing extremely well (starter)
Higgins - playing very well 

Pittman - injured
Shenault - playing well
Hamler - injured 
Claypool - flashed one week, good start
Van Jefferson - quiet
Mims - injured

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Different kinds of players.  Devin Smith was a straight line speed guy (pre-injuries).  A real one-trick pony on a powerhouse college team.  Might not have been in the top five players on his college team.  Way overdrafted, IMHO.  Mims is a big, strong, possession guy, who also has speed.  Great on 50/50 stuff, something Smith didn't do at all.  Much better college production with a far less impressive supporting cast.  But, more significantly, he hasn't played ONE GAME yet.  And you want to write him off as a bust by comparing him to a very different player who happened to be drafted in the same round.  I'm sure I haven't convinced you but I just don't see it.

People tend to not read all the comments in the thread but I completely agree that they are different players. You wont find a single comment in this thread about me arguing that.

I am arguing that situationally this is Devin Smith all over again. Both players started their Jets careers injured like this, missing the first few weeks. Both coming on to a bad team devoid of WR talent. 

Denzel Mims has done nothing yet in a Jets uniform except be injured, just like how Devin Smith started his Jets tenure.

I'm confused as to how anyone denies this. 

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

its nothing like devin smith..devin smith didnt have the production that mims in college and frankly the best thing that was said about him over and over and over by anyone trying to promote him was how well he "tracked the ball" he was a bust along the lines of stephen and I'm not even sure he is in the league anymore and he certainly isnt producing. 

But sure, lets compare him to a player that we just drafted in his first year who has no training camp to speak of, no preseason games and hasnt gotten on the field yet....its exactly the same. 🙄

Good lord you guys really dont read. 

On 10/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, JTJet said:

Wednesday? Wtf? 5 days off? 

No way that can be right? 

CBA