Watching Cardinals vs. Panthers and trying to decide what is more painful.

What is more disappointing?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is more disappointing?

• Watching Matt Rhule coach against Kliff Kingsbury and knowing there was a good chance one of them could have been the Jets HC
    • Watching Teddy Bridgewater connect with Robby Anderson all day and seeing how effective they are on another team given the Jets woes on offense

Just now, JiF said:

Thomass and the Douglass Apologasses believe the Jets hired JD during an astronomical event that only happens once every 100 years in which a black hole is opened and beings from another galaxy enter ours.  The believe JD was one of those beings, sent to us from another galaxy as the savior of this franchise.  

Just admit that you guys went to state schools and have a deeply ingrained anti-intellectual bias.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Resigning Robby was the most obvious move of the offseason.

Douglas should be under pressure for that alone. Debacle.

I thought he would sign Robby all along and add Perriman as well.  The fact that he let him walk for just a few more dollars is really unacceptable.   

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I haven't wasted feelings on the Jets or anything Jet-related since 1998.

I believe you've noted on here a few times that you don't live in America. In that case, having 20k+ posts on a Jets message-board says differently.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Agreed and stated back when it happened. Was called a troll for not acknowledging Perriman's emergent greatness.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

Agreed. I wanted Robby to be re-signed. However, when he took less money to go elsewhere, I couldn't fault JD. However, I can absolutely fault him for his failures to adequately address the WR position.

- I hated Perriman and made it clear early on here that he was not going to be the plug-and-play replacement of Robby's production that so many people thought he'd be. The guy only plays for his next contract. He's an immensely less talented Revis. 
- If the rumors are true and JD turned down #17 for JA straight up because he wanted more, I hated that he didn't do it and take CeeDee who was my number 1 WR in the draft. Yes, I understand he got more for JA afterwards and it was a fantastic trade, but in the moment, he didn't know that would transpire.
- I loved the Mims pick, but I hated that when they were on the clock in the 4th round and a size/speed freak was there for the taking (AGG), JD took a flier on a QB with the intent of having him hold a clipboard. Anyone who thinks a 4th rd QB is picked with any intention of being a starter is deluding themselves. Morgan might prove himself worthy of a starting job in practices or live situations, but in the moment of the draft, he was picked to be a backup behind Darnold whom they still needed to evaluate. Then they signed Flacco to jump Morgan on the depth chart even though he was injured. And if all fails and JD's in a position to take Lawrence or Fields, he has to jump at it - which again leaves Morgan as a backup. Complete waste of a pick. 

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This will also be an issue when free agent season rolls around next March.  The situation here hasn’t improved at all, thus this will not be a desirable destination for free agents next year.  JD is going to need to over pay for some guys that he really wants , otherwise players with options are not coming anywhere near the Jets.  

This is reason to get rid of Gase.  We know JD isn't going anywhere so we need to bring in a coach that players will want to play for.  

1 hour ago, CTM said:

On the flip side, what is logical about believing this time it will be different? The likelihood is that Douglass will be a worthy successor to Tanny>Idzik>Mac. Are you basing this belief entirely on Becton over Wirfs?

1) Douglas wasn't a Chris Johnson hire.  He's here primarily because of Gase.  Gase sucks but I'd still rather take my chances with him essentially making the hire than either of the Johnson's.

2) As has been stated countless times, Douglas arrived with a pedigree that previous GM's just didn't have.  Not even close.  He worked his way up with 2 organizations that won Super Bowls while he was there.  He was both a well-respected scout AND front office asset.  His previous employer hated to see him leave (as opposed to, say, Maccagnan, who was about to be fired by the Texans).  

3) His overall philosophy in the draft seems to mimic that of the best GM this century, Ozzie Newsome.  Yes, Newsome was the best GM in the league, because he hit on his picks at a much higher rate than anyone else.  The cheating Patriots don't sway me on that one.  Much like Newsome, Douglas is a believer in trading down, valuing premium positions and athleticism.  He seemed to assemble a good front office/scouting department, including a successful and well-respected Phil Savage (Senior Football Advisor).  There was pretty strong logic behind all of his picks, which should provide a measure of hope about our future even if several of the picks in his first draft don't work out. 

Becton should absolutely be a MAJOR factor in all of this, because it showed Douglas is willing to take big swings even when it's not the "consensus" or "safe" pick.  Wirfs or one of the WRs would have been the "safer" bet, and the type of pick Macc would make that would end up being underwhelming. 

Becton may well be the best player in the whole draft, legitimately, when the dust settles.  He has HOF potential that has already been put on full display his first few games.  Assuming that pick remains a hit, its no small thing to note that it will undoubtedly be the best Jets draft pick since 2007. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I believe you've noted on here a few times that you don't live in America. In that case, having 20k+ posts on a Jets message-board says differently.

Agreed. I wanted Robby to be re-signed. However, when he took less money to go elsewhere, I couldn't fault JD. However, I can absolutely fault him for his failures to adequately address the WR position.

- I hated Perriman and made it clear early on here that he was not going to be the plug-and-play replacement of Robby's production that so many people thought he'd be. The guy only plays for his next contract. He's an immensely less talented Revis. 
- If the rumors are true and JD turned down #17 for JA straight up because he wanted more, I hated that he didn't do it and take CeeDee who was my number 1 WR in the draft. Yes, I understand he got more for JA afterwards and it was a fantastic trade, but in the moment, he didn't know that would transpire.
- I loved the Mims pick, but I hated that when they were on the clock in the 4th round and a size/speed freak was there for the taking (AGG), JD took a flier on a QB with the intent of having him hold a clipboard. Anyone who thinks a 4th rd QB is picked with any intention of being a starter is deluding themselves. Morgan might prove himself worthy of a starting job in practices or live situations, but in the moment of the draft, he was picked to be a backup behind Darnold whom they still needed to evaluate. Then they signed Flacco to jump Morgan on the depth chart even though he was injured. And if all fails and JD's in a position to take Lawrence or Fields, he has to jump at it - which again leaves Morgan as a backup. Complete waste of a pick. 

That was the worst pick of this draft. Not because Morgan won't develop into a decent back up or even starter, but that we need to get Sam more weapons and several staring us right in the face.  Hell, we could have had a Robby Clone in John Hightower in the 5th.    To your last point this is why we need to start Morgan soon so we can hopefully drive up his value and trade him for something (5th or 6th rounder?).   I had so many people on this board tell me how this was such a great pick; it will only be a great pick if we can play him now, and get something of decent value for him.  

59 minutes ago, CTM said:

Seems a bit pre mature considering he already missed a game 

All predictions are "premature".  Early returns are incredibly promising.  

Given the nature of the offseason that we just came from, the massive number of injuries that have seemed to follow Gase from Miami as well as the current training staff, AND the massive number of injuries around the league this year.... I'm not going to rule anybody out or concern myself too heavily about any injured guys at the moment.  

27 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I thought he would sign Robby all along and add Perriman as well.  The fact that he let him walk for just a few more dollars is really unacceptable.   

Except we don't know how much it would have taken for Anderson to stay.  He was offered 4 years, $40M by Douglas.  That's a very fair offer considering no one else was offering him anything. 

The Panthers swooped in very late in the game, all things considered.  Which speaks volumes considering Anderson was the top WR on the market for basically the entire offseason.

If 4 years, $44M would have gotten the job done, sure, criticize Douglas for that.  If it was 4 years, $50M+ that would have been necessary, nah.  He would have ended up producing about the same numbers here as he did last season (provided he stayed healthy; no guarantee considering the Gase/training staff problems), and we'd all be ripping Douglas for locking us into such an expensive long-term deal with a WR2.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

That was the worst pick of this draft. Not because Morgan won't develop into a decent back up or even starter, but that we need to get Sam more weapons and several staring us right in the face.  Hell, we could have had a Robby Clone in John Hightower in the 5th.    To your last point this is why we need to start Morgan soon so we can hopefully drive up his value and trade him for something (5th or 6th rounder?).   I had so many people on this board tell me how this was such a great pick; it will only be a great pick if we can play him now, and get something of decent value for him.  

What's the urgency to trade Morgan?  A cheap QB2 has value to a franchise, even if we assume that's all he'll be.  Normally you have to spend quite a bit of money for a quality veteran QB2.  Marcus Mariota got $17.6M over 2 years.  Nick Foles got $24M over 3 years.

Let Morgan play out his rookie deal, and let his playing time come organically.  If/when he shows something over the course of his rookie deal, see who bites then.  

Whether you have your QB or not, the 4th round is a fine time to add a QB.  Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins were 4th rounders, after all.  

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) Douglas wasn't a Chris Johnson hire.  He's here primarily because of Gase.  Gase sucks but I'd still rather take my chances with him essentially making the hire than either of the Johnson's.

2) As has been stated countless times, Douglas arrived with a pedigree that previous GM's just didn't have.  Not even close.  He worked his way up with 2 organizations that won Super Bowls while he was there.  He was both a well-respected scout AND front office asset.  His previous employer hated to see him leave (as opposed to, say, Maccagnan, who was about to be fired by the Texans).  

3) His overall philosophy in the draft seems to mimic that of the best GM this century, Ozzie Newsome.  Yes, Newsome was the best GM in the league, because he hit on his picks at a much higher rate than anyone else.  The cheating Patriots don't sway me on that one.  Much like Newsome, Douglas is a believer in trading down, valuing premium positions and athleticism.  He seemed to assemble a good front office/scouting department, including a successful and well-respected Phil Savage (Senior Football Advisor).  There was pretty strong logic behind all of his picks, which should provide a measure of hope about our future even if several of the picks in his first draft don't work out. 

Becton should absolutely be a MAJOR factor in all of this, because it showed Douglas is willing to take big swings even when it's not the "consensus" or "safe" pick.  Wirfs or one of the WRs would have been the "safer" bet, and the type of pick Macc would make that would end up being underwhelming. 

Becton may well be the best player in the whole draft, legitimately, when the dust settles.  He has HOF potential that has already been put on full display his first few games.  Assuming that pick remains a hit, its no small thing to note that it will undoubtedly be the best Jets draft pick since 2007. 

Yes, that’s all well and good, but Prodigal Syndicate and Kevin don’t have pro bowler jerseys to wear when they go to Vinny Zambolini’s poker night and, quite frankly, that’s what should be our main focus.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

What's the urgency to trade Morgan?  A cheap QB2 has value to a franchise, even if we assume that's all he'll be.  Normally you have to spend quite a bit of money for a quality veteran QB2.  Marcus Mariota got $17.6M over 2 years.  Nick Foles got $24M over 3 years.

Let Morgan play out his rookie deal, and let his playing time come organically.  If/when he shows something over the course of his rookie deal, see who bites then.  

Fair  enough, not saying we need to trade him now, but it would nice to see him on the field some time this year especially if they plan to take a quarterback next draft. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was offered 4 years, $40M by Douglas.  That's a very fair offer considering no one else was offering him anything. 

The Panthers swooped in very late in the game, all things considered.  Which speaks volumes considering Anderson was the top WR on the market for basically the entire offseason.

FWIW...  I am NOT criticizing JD re: Robbo.    He decided to leave for his college HC. 

My only thing about Robbo is .....  that he caught alotta flak I didn't think he deserved. Just that he shoulda been given credit for who he is,

a solid WR2/3 type, that was an UDFA.

Never argued he was great or a WR1...  just a solid contributor. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

To your last point this is why we need to start Morgan soon so we can hopefully drive up his value and trade him for something (5th or 6th rounder?).   I had so many people on this board tell me how this was such a great pick; it will only be a great pick if we can play him now, and get something of decent value for him.  

I mean, using a 4th round pick on a backup QB when you could have signed Flacco or Rosen (or any other of the 5-6 QBs sitting around every off-season) on the cheap to do the same job was pointless enough. The fact that the Jets actually signed Flacco on the cheap and handed him the QB2 duties over Morgan is literal proof of this. So now, throwing a guy who couldn't beat out an injured Flacco for QB2 into the fire just to drum up trade value to be able to flip him for a loss (anything worse than the 125 overall) would be even more reckless. At least now JD won't have any excuses to burn non premium picks on QBs for the next three years. The 4th rounder was a sunk cost with negligible salvage value. Best to let it go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I mean, using a 4th round pick on a backup QB when you could have signed Flacco or Rosen (or any other of the 5-6 QBs sitting around every off-season) on the cheap to do the same job was pointless enough. The fact that the Jets actually signed Flacco on the cheap and handed him the QB2 duties over Morgan is literal proof of this. So now, throwing a guy who couldn't beat out an injured Flacco for QB2 into the fire just to drum up trade value to be able to flip him for a loss (anything worse than the 125 overall) would be even more reckless. At least now JD won't have any excuses to burn non premium picks on QBs for the next three years. The 4th rounder was a sunk cost with negligible salvage value. Best to let it go. 

Point taken. 

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not following. What does living outside of the US have to do with it?

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't say Kingsbury was a great HC.  I said the Jets were interested.  The post I quoted said that nobody in the organization could have been high on Kingsbury.  They interviewed him.  Personally, I didn't like him either.  Offense only and never had much success as far as W/L record.  Then again, I can talk myself out of anything.

I live in AZ.  KK did a good job last year.  I always questioned did he make it too easy on Murray?  He basically ran the same O Murray ran in OK including terminology.  

Murray played well for a rookie.  Now he is surrounded by talent that is really good and for 2 weeks they lit it up.  The NFL unlike college football is a lot more about tape and adjustments.  Maybe the league is catching up fast and Murray needs to stop being babied and learn how to be an NFL QB?  Hard to know.  We are going to find out about Kingsbury in a hurry.  The Cardinals have way to much talent to lose back to back to Detroit and Carolina.

Teddy B on the other hand is a very good NFL QB.  The only question about him was his health.  He looks fully recovered, very fluid and very accurate.  He clearly knows how to play NFL football.  It's not just Rhule is a really good Offensive coach.  Carolina lined up Kyle Allen at QB for 12 games last year.  The QB position has been upgraded by miles.  

We may be kicking Mac for not just passing on Mahomes but giving away Teddy for a song. 

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I get it. A few posters here are similar. It’s like telling SAR that the Jets beat the Bills in week 1 last year and then made the playoffs. It’s tough to get through. I believe in you though. Finally got you to admit Tannehill wasn’t cbpoty even if it was a few years late.

It's official. Unfilled hope rots your brain.