Deshaun Watson

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GangGreened said:

What?

I remember when Aaron Rodgers netted me a whopping 3.8 fantasy points a few weeks ago. And watching Tom Brady throw 3 picks and no touchdowns last week.

Sometimes I think if we sent our ten smartest posters to a Steelers fan board and they sent their ten dumbest here the average IQ of both sites would go up! The amount of ridiculousness thrown around here is — well — ridiculous!

• Haha 1

Over rated compared to who?  Right now there are 10 NFL QB's with a rating over 100.  Watson is one of them.  Right now in the NFL there are 11 QB's with a completion percentage over 68.  Watson is 10th, Dak is No. 11.  Right now there are 10 NFL QB's with over 18 TD's, Watson is one of them.  He's in the top 10 in lowest INT percentage.  Top 3 in adjusted YPA.  Top 10 in Yards.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:34 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Another young talented quarterback that is being stifled by horrible coaching and lack of offensive weapons.

I have said this before the style that Watson, Kapernick, Newton, Jackson, RGIII etc...is really not long term viable. Eventually teams figure out their tendencies and shut down half the offense. Now they are all so athletically talented that they still have some level of success, but they taper off dramatically once they are figured out. Interesting thing is that it seems that teams are figuring out dickead Dangeruss' patterns as well and really getting to him, we will see if his decline continues. Running for a QB is a huge assest. When it's 50 or 60% of your offensive schemes it has diminishing returns. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have said this before the style that Watson, Kapernick, Newton, Jackson, RGIII etc...is really not long term viable. Eventually teams figure out their tendencies and shut down half the offense. Now they are all so athletically talented that they still have some level of success, but they taper off dramatically once they are figured out. Interesting thing is that it seems that teams are figuring out dickead Dangeruss' patterns as well and really getting to him, we will see if his decline continues. Running for a QB is a huge assest. When it's 50 or 60% of your offensive schemes it has diminishing returns. 

Why is Watson included in the above group?  He has 48 carries this season, a little over 5 per game.  Comparable to Daniel Jones (49), Russell Wilson (45), Carson Wentz (41), Joe Burrow (35), Pat Mahomes (35) and Teddy Bridgewater (35).

Lamar Jackson, meanwhile has 90.  And Kyler Murray has 87 and seems to be doing just fine.

A QB who has the ability to run (like Watson) is very different from a "running QB."  And even the latter group isn't really that big of a problem anymore.  QB's are protected by the league and learning how to protect themselves.  Murray comes from a baseball background and is an expert at sliding.  

For all the talk about Newton's style not working, he did go to a Super Bowl, and he's had a fairly long career in this league.  He didn't protect himself well, is immature, and he isn't an accurate thrower.  Those are the top reasons he didn't continue to play at a high level after his SB seasons.  Kyler Murray doesn't seem to me to have any of those problems.

You're operating under some very old assumptions that are no longer applicable in the league.  QB's are far more athletic than ever before.  Kids who used to be pushed to play RB, WR or LB are now encouraged to play QB at the younger levels and sticking with it.   We're seeing the fruits of that at the pro level.  Very few of the QB's in the league today are statues back there, and this train of running QB's isn't stopping any time soon.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Swear by some of the replies in here it's like I insulted their mothers.

Dude is overrated, point blank. Accumulating garbage time stats doesn't do it for me. He's never going to win anything except the occasional Twitter highlight

I'd love to have a QB that is considered "overrated".  That means he's had a little bit of success, either in his statistical performance, W-L record, or both.  

Jets fans who have watched the dreadful run of QB's this franchise has had since Namath sound really dumb when critiquing other QB's in the league, especially guys in the conversation to be top 10 players at the position.  Put Watson in a Jets uniform and he'd be a god, straight up.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Over rated compared to who?  Right now there are 10 NFL QB's with a rating over 100.  Watson is one of them.  Right now in the NFL there are 11 QB's with a completion percentage over 68.  Watson is 10th, Dak is No. 11.  Right now there are 10 NFL QB's with over 18 TD's, Watson is one of them.  He's in the top 10 in lowest INT percentage.  Top 3 in adjusted YPA.  Top 10 in Yards.

Mere stats! Texans aren't winning. Watson de facto sucks!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd love to have a QB that is considered "overrated".  That means he's had a little bit of success, either in his statistical performance, W-L record, or both.  

Anyone who thinks Darnold can be a top-16 QB is overrating him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Watson’s style is nothing like the rest of that group’s, and neither is Wilson’s. Also, Russell Wilson has been playing QB in the NFL at a high level for just shy of a decade now. After 9 years in the NFL I’m pretty sure if teams were going to figure out his patterns, they would have done it a long, long time ago. More likely is he’s had a rough stretch of games.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love Deshaun Watson and he's one of the best young QBs within the game today @ only 25 years of age. 

Career: 26-20 overall, 1,009/1,505 (67.0%), 12,255 passing yards, 89 TD's/34 INT's with a QB Rating of 102.2 (2nd highest All-Time behind only Aaron Rodgers) and is a dual threat too (265 rushes for 1,466 rushing yards (5.5 yards per carry) and 15 rushing TD's). 

2020: 2-7 overall, 205/301 (68.1%), 2,539 passing yards, 18 TD's/5 INT's and a QB Rating of 107.0 (5th behind only Brees/Wilson/Mahomes/Rodgers) and that's while being without DeAndre Hopkins too. 

Houston isn't losing @ 2-7 because of Watson they are losing because of A.) The 28th ranked Defense and B.) A roster that's almost less talented than NYJ and C.) They'd be an 0-16 contender, without an amazing QB in Watson. 

He had two great postseason games last year against Buffalo/KC and it's not his fault that his Houston Defense gave up 51 points to KC's offense (Watson had 2 passing TDs/0 INTs/1 rushing TDs dropped almost 400 yards passing (388) and put up 31 offensive points). 

He's one of my favorites. 

2nd highest QB Rating All-Time. 

Nothing "overrated" about him. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I absolutely love Deshaun Watson and he's one of the best young QBs within the game today @ only 25 years of age. 

Career: 26-20 overall, 1,009/1,505 (67.0%), 12,255 passing yards, 89 TD's/34 INT's with a QB Rating of 102.2 (2nd highest All-Time behind only Aaron Rodgers) and is a dual threat too (265 rushes for 1,466 rushing yards (5.5 yards per carry) and 15 rushing TD's). 

2020: 2-7 overall, 205/301 (68.1%), 2,539 passing yards, 18 TD's/5 INT's and a QB Rating of 107.0 (5th behind only Brees/Wilson/Mahomes/Rodgers) and that's while being without DeAndre Hopkins too. 

Houston isn't losing @ 2-7 because of Watson they are losing because of A.) The 28th ranked Defense and B.) A roster that's almost less talented than NYJ and C.) They'd be an 0-16 contender, without an amazing QB in Watson. 

He had two great postseason games last year against Buffalo/KC and it's not his fault that his Houston Defense gave up 51 points to KC's offense (Watson had 2 passing TDs/0 INTs/1 rushing TDs dropped almost 400 yards passing (388) and put up 31 offensive points). 

He's one of my favorites. 

2nd highest QB Rating All-Time. 

Nothing "overrated" about him. 

Having you go to bat for the other side of this argument only makes me feel more justified in mine. Tysvm