Pick your 2021 coaching staff

i will take Joe Brady as head coach

i dont mind Lincoln Riley as well , things are going bad fast in Oklahoma and he might be looking for a way out.

you pair Riley with a good DC(not Greg Williams) and he can be very good , no one can develop QB's better then him right now 

5 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I have not watched much of Bieniemy but I've watched several Roman and Daboll interviews.

Great position coaches, nice guys.

Neither of them impress me as communicators, neither strike me as leaders aka head coaches.

You have to be able to inspire professional athletes but you also have to be able to disciple, to be detailed-orientated.  

The consistently good head coaches create a culture of accountability. There is no time off, there is no other life. Belichick was obviously shaped by his Dad's background, his own training in economics and his vast experience across the NFL.  Many of the successful head coaches are salty, focusing on minutia.

We have had a lot of smooth talkers at HC, currently we have a slightly odd man unable to fully inhabit the complete role of head coach.

Harbaugh is clearly a freak, it's time.  

Say what you want about Belicheck but he takes no prisoners. Tuna taught him well.  There’s really only one guy that could turn this mess around and that’s Harbaugh. He’s the perfect coach for Lawrence as well since it would initially take the pressure off the kid.  But could JD and Harbaugh co-exist? That’s another question. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Greg Roman has the inside track because of his history with Joe Douglas.  There's no questioning Roman's football skills.  Is he the teacher and leader of men this organization needs for a total culture change?  I'm not sure of that.  He doesn't seem all that fiery at first glance but hey what do I know.

6 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Say what you want about Belicheck but he takes no prisoners. Tuna taught him well.  There’s really only one guy that could turn this mess around and that’s Harbaugh. He’s the perfect coach for Lawrence as well since it would initially take the pressure off the kid.  But could JD and Harbaugh co-exist? That’s another question. 

Unlikely that JD and Harbaugh could co-exist but after his years dealing with recruiting at Michigan, who knows where Harbaugh's mind is at.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

That would be a great staff if the goals were 1) Getting the 1st overall pick two years in a row and 2) Selling no tickets next year.

Gase can't do anything to save his job at this point. The fans hate him. The owners love money. The fans aren't spending more money until Gase is gone. 

It is that simple.

I believe the majority of PSL holders understand what the Jets are trying to accomplish and how the revolving door of head coaches and GM's has to stop.  Most of us have been asking for this very scenario and are smart enough to know that you can't give Gase and Douglas 1 draft and 1.25 years to turn around the hideous damage done to the roster and front office in a decade of Idzik/Maccagnan catastrophes.  And there are only around 18,000 of us writing checks to the Jets each year.  We are a small and important minority of the fanbase, we're not the.....

......average knee-jerk fan chomping pretzels in his basement.  The guy who listens to sports talk radio and hot takes on Twitter and repeats them like a parrot.  The guy that buys counterfeit Chinese jerseys on eBay, the guy that can't be bothered to go to the stadium unless it's free.  That guy doesn't matter, doesn't pay the bills.  TV revenue is split equally among teams, the Jets ratings doesn't cost the team a dime and is to be expected when tearing the whole thing down and starting over again, what WJ and CJ are committed to.

The injured players will return to the offense, we will look decent, and that will quiet the impatient horde.  Or the injured players will return to the offense, it will be clear that Darnold is the problem, and that too will quiet the anti-Gase brigade.  Either way, I don't see the Johnson's getting rid of a head coach crippled by a terrible roster crippled by injuries just because the fans want him to.  Those days are over.  That's exactly the revolving door hamster wheel that PSL owners and team management are trying to get away from.

SAR I

7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Urban Meyer would be the guy for an overall program change. Will never happen, but it's what the Jets need.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Urban Meyer would be the guy for an overall program change. Will never happen, but it's what the Jets need.

If Jones dumps McCarthy this year, I could see him throwing the kitchen sink at Urban. Allegedly, the Cowboys job is the only one he’d take.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I believe the majority of PSL holders understand what the Jets are trying to accomplish and how the revolving door of head coaches and GM's has to stop.  Most of us have been asking for this very scenario and are smart enough to know that you can't give Gase and Douglas 1 draft and 1.25 years to turn around the hideous damage done to the roster and front office in a decade of Idzik/Maccagnan catastrophes.  And there are only around 18,000 of us writing checks to the Jets each year.  We are a small and important minority of the fanbase, we're not the.....

......average knee-jerk fan chomping pretzels in his basement.  The guy who listens to sports talk radio and hot takes on Twitter and repeats them like a parrot.  The guy that buys counterfeit Chinese jerseys on eBay, the guy that can't be bothered to go to the stadium unless it's free.  That guy doesn't matter, doesn't pay the bills.  TV revenue is split equally among teams, the Jets ratings doesn't cost the team a dime and is to be expected when tearing the whole thing down and starting over again, what WJ and CJ are committed to.

The injured players will return to the offense, we will look decent, and that will quiet the impatient horde.  Or the injured players will return to the offense, it will be clear that Darnold is the problem, and that too will quiet the anti-Gase brigade.  Either way, I don't see the Johnson's getting rid of a head coach crippled by a terrible roster crippled by injuries just because the fans want him to.  Those days are over.  That's exactly the revolving door hamster wheel that PSL owners and team management are trying to get away from.

SAR I

The ineptitude of the offense has been shown beyond his coaching here... In fact it has been shown every year beyond the year he had Peyton... The league is putting up 30+ points a game and his teams have only done it in garbage time or against the worst in the league... Not once has Gase coached a team up to beat a beteer team EVER. There is a reason why player succeed after they leave Gase... Because they are flawed players that better coaches understand how to utilize... Not forcing square legs into round holes... 

• Upvote 2

In all reality though, the jets just need to give Joe Douglas his coach. That's it. No more of this GM and HC with separate, conflicting agendas. The last time we built a serious talented team was when the coach and front office were all on the same page. 

Why is this such a difficult concept for the Johnson brothers?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Fully agree.  I'm convinced he'd be an outstanding NFL HC.  I think even BB looks up to him in some ways (for offensive creativity).  He says he's retired but I think he's said it before and still come back.  BP said he was retired several times and kept coming back.  I'd offer Urban whatever he wanted if he'd agree to come here.

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

HC/OC: Greg Roman (he’ll call the plays).

Offensive assistant/QB Coach/Assistant HC: Jim Caldwell.

DC: Jim Schwartz (I believe he’ll be the scapegoat in Philly).

Special Teams: Honestly have no idea, but I’d be fine with retaining Boyer.

Schwartz is a vastly under rated DC and a great talent evaluator. I like this staff a lot!

I want no part of Harbaugh, he would be a disaster in the NYC market. BTW, has anyone checked out his offense at Michigan lately?? It's right out of 1970.

Dallas offense rated #1 in league almost 100 yards more per game passing than the 2nd team in passing.   McCarthy sucks!  Dallas should fire him!  McCarthy lolz!

Baltimore offense 25th in the league,  passing 2nd last to the miserable jets by a yard per game.  Roman is the one!  Hire roman the offensive guru!

• Upvote 2

The Jets near a sure thing. When they hired Parcells-- they had no choice. They couldnt hire a "hot" coordinator -- or a re-tread. They needed someone who would be a slam dunk.  This is the situation now.  I think that other than Bellicheck and Andy Reid -- the only other guy who is a slam dunk  is Jim Harbaugh. He will come in and change the culture.  They cannot get this wrong -- and there is just no way to know if you hire a coordinator.  Perhaps -- the only chance i would take would be on Urban Meyer. Other than that -- I would send the Brinks Truck to pick up Harbaugh.

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dallas offense rated #1 in league almost 100 yards more per game passing than the 2nd team in passing.   McCarthy sucks!  Dallas should fire him!  McCarthy lolz!

Baltimore offense 25th in the league,  passing 2nd last to the miserable jets by a yard per game.  Roman is the one!  Hire roman the offensive guru!

Roman and Daboll are two disastrous choices. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

When did the PSL owners appoint you their leader?

Hey everyone, the bourgeoisie Jet fans have spoken. Who cares about the hoi polloi! It's not like they buy Merch, or watch the games on TV, right? Let those ignorant bastards eat Korean Pulled Pork sandwiches from Bahnbekyu!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

If you believe that, you are wrong.

Jets fans want Gase fired. Yesterday.

They won't bring him back next year for that reason alone.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Problems under Gase.

Robby Anderson.

Le'Veon Bell.

Ryan Tannenhill.

Sam Darnold.

CJ Mosley.

Chris Herndon.

DeVante Parker.

Got it.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

If you believe that, you are wrong.

Jets fans want Gase fired. Yesterday.

They won't bring him back next year for that reason alone.

If one believes that a) the Jets have a thin and weak roster after decades of neglect and b) that having a stable HC/GM pairing is essential for success then c) you need to give your new front office more than 1.25 seasons to get things corrected.  I mean, that is just common sense.  

You can't look at Gase in Miami because there are plenty of head coaches who bombed in their first jobs.  And you can't look at Gase in New Jersey because we have been a train wreck of bad players and injuries since he got here.  

Hey, if we go 0-16, I'm with you, Gase will go.  Woody will come back and make himself look like the hero and rid the team of him and bring in someone new and make all the pretzel eaters happy.  But if we start to get healthy and start rattling off some wins and go 4-4 in our last 8, then the Johnson's say whatever they need to say and retain Gase.  It would be another great turnaround, a hallmark of a solid head coach.

SAR I

I wrote this in another thread but I'll also write it here:

HC: David Shaw, Stanford Coach.  Spent time with Douglas in Baltimore and a disciple of Jim Harbaugh.  Proven to be a great college head coach and well-respected.  Has recently said that he does not want to leave Stanford but for the right price and perhaps the connection with Douglas may sway him.  He makes $4.6 million at Stanford but a contract similar to Matt Rhule, $8.5 million a year, could be enticing.

OC: Pep Hamilton.  Another Jim Harbaugh disciple that coached with Harbaugh most recently at Michigan until being hired as the head coach and general manager of the DC Defenders.  Currently working as the QB coach for the Chargers helping to develop Justin Herbert.

QB Coach: Andrew Luck.  QB under both Shaw (Stanford) and Hamilton (Stanford, Colts), could help Darnold develop as a QB.  

DC: Rex Ryan.  Bringing back Ryan to only focus on the defense.  Douglas, Shaw and Ryan spent a few years together in Baltimore.  Ryan would bring an energy to the locker room.

LB: Jeffrey Fitzgerald. Coached under Ryan with the Ravens.  Spent time most recently (2016) as the Colts linebackers coach and was going to be Pep Hamilton's Defensive Coordinator with the DC Defenders.

DB/S: Ed Reed. Former Jets Safety. Spent a few years coaching up in Buffalo and currently serves as Chief of Staff at the University of Miami.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1