Are we that far away on offense?

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Of course it can be done, is happened in many places, including here wîth Parcells & Rex.

1- Gase has to go. I was willing to give him a chance but his play calling has no rhyme or reason to it. Plus he has no balls on 4th down. How Sam doesn't have the ability to switch a play to a sneak with no one over center is a crime within itself. Unacceptable. 

2- You guys are crazy if you think Sam Darnold won't bring a first round pick. Sometimes players need a change of scenery & Tannyhill looks like a completely different player away from Gase. There are a lot of NFC teams that will be in the QB market. Stafford, Foles, Brees, are all aging, Sam will be 24, history has shown falling into the right fit can change a career ala Vinnie T with Parcells. So, whether the Jets are in position to take Trevor Lawrence, Fields or they keep Sam, they'll have the draft ammo & cap dollars to transform the offense. They could be in position to draft the TE Pitts with their 2nd number 1 if they take QB, sign Allen Robinson or Juju Smith, along with a Guard (Thuney, Stanley or Scherff). They also with so many #3s, maneuver up to draft a player like Ettiene & have a combo of Ettienne & Perine. That's so far only two free agent signings. 

With still at least 3/4 higher picks they could get a Center, edge, another WR. And even after signing a free agent WR & Guard, we'd still have a sh*tload of money because Bell will be cut too, Jeff Smith takes Perrimans roster spot, V.Smith will be back & Barrios fills out the end of the WR spots. 

A lineup of Robinson, Mims, Crowder, J.Smith, V.Smith, Ettiene, Perine, Pitts, Herndon, is a pretty good surrounding cast if you draft Trevor or Fields. 

Joe D did most of the things we wanted him to do this last draft. Morgan was the only WTF moment, and watching Sam this year maybe JD wasn't as sold on Sam as we all were. With the injuries, he gets an incomplete until we see more of these rookies but unlike Macc & his many, many WTF moments, JD does seem to have an actual plan. Signing a guy like Clowney who many wanted would be putting a temporary bandaid on a gaping wound. 

Unfortunately we've been hit two years in a row with a ridiculous amount of injuries on an already thin roster but I don't see Joe Douglas as a guy thinking, what am I gonna do now? I'm sure he's got a plan, unlike Macc who never seemed to any plan whatsoever proven by taking a safety when we hadn't had a good QB in ages and put himself in a position of weakening his draft ability to try to get one while passing on guys falling in his lap.

This defense is worse than what the offense will be when guys get healthy, so I'm sure JD knows filling out this offense is imperative this offseason. This seasons over except for seeing what we have in Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Clark, that's really the only thing left to evaluate. Let's hope they can all get healthy. At least we finally filled one of 4 must have positions. LT, CB, QB, Edge. We'll have a QB whether it remains Sam or JD goes with Lawrence or Fields. You could maybe see Daboll with Sam or Lawrence, or maybe Roman with Fields. Any of those scenarios will be light years from what we are experiencing as fans right now. It can be fixed. 

Agree with a good amount here.....but no chance sam nets a 1st rd pick.  Most likely a 4th.

Allen Robinson will be signed by Chicago 

50 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Agree with a good amount here.....but no chance sam nets a 1st rd pick.  Most likely a 4th.

Eh.  I'd say 65/35, at best, that he returns.  Right now they're only projected to have $5M in cap space in 2021 (assuming a $185M cap), PRIOR to re-signing any of their other upcoming FA's. 

Plus, why would he WANT to return?  He'll have options.  If he wants top dollar he can come here, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New England or Washington.  If he wants to play with a contender with a more established QB he can go to Baltimore or Seattle.

Yes.  Yes this team is far.  First would be to draft Trevor.  I liked Sam and wanted the best for him here but he’s been ruined.  Trade him for what you can get, hopefully a 2.  

The main reason to go with Lawrence is that he’ll be on a rookie deal, buying 4-5 years of a window.  Hopefully with the draft capital and cap space, JD can make things happen.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

i like Crowder a lot and want him back.  But not at his 2021 cap number ($11.5M) if we can avoid it.  If we can cut him and then re-sign him to a 2 or 3-year deal at a lower number, that would be ideal.

I know we have tons of cap space, but saving a couple million dollars here and there is a big part of how you build a contender over time, regardless of how much space you have.

We're on the same page, bruv. But if thge # is more than less = to the number of similarly skilled players at skill positions, u do it

imo, that is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He didn't want to be here.  People somehow like to forget that part ever happened.  

This thread is about how far our offense has to go to become good, and yet people are STILL talking about how we should have paid the Box Safety, who was shooting his way out of town at the time, and foregone the two 1sts and a 3rd.  

Ever wonder why he wanted out? He wasn’t getting paid. I don’t blame him. I’ll take a paycut to be a part of a great team. But nobody wants to be playing for cheap if the team overall is garbage. 

Our run D has fallen off a cliff this year and the only major change in the D is Adams. This “box safety” provided plenty of support to rush D. My point is, we haven’t signed our own good draft picks and are always overpaying for others leftovers. 

18 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Ever wonder why he wanted out? He wasn’t getting paid. I don’t blame him. I’ll take a paycut to be a part of a great team. But nobody wants to be playing for cheap if the team overall is garbage. 

Our run D has fallen off a cliff this year and the only major change in the D is Adams. This “box safety” provided plenty of support to rush D. My point is, we haven’t signed our own good draft picks and are always overpaying for others leftovers. 

lol.  Run D. 

Totally worth $18M a year and giving up two 1sts and a 3rd to help that Run D.  

Wow.

34 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

We're on the same page, bruv. But if thge # is more than less = to the number of similarly skilled players at skill positions, u do it

imo, that is.

Right.  And if Crowder gets pissed at our penny pinching and opts not to come back, meh, at least we have a "safety net" in Berrios.  

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Run D. 

Totally worth $18M a year and giving up two 1sts and a 3rd to help that Run D.  

Wow.

I didn’t want Adams gone because I thought we’d be lucky to get a 2nd back for him and I’m sick of trying to feel better about “saving cap” when we never use that cap to good use.

But JD has got to get props for this deal. Even if Jamal wasn’t actively trying to shoot his way out of town you can’t refuse that. Add his (seems like a home run) first round selection at an impact position (key word here), and I am cautiously optimistic we finally have a pro as GM.

We slam the Johnsons a ton and with good reason, but the most important person in a football organization is GM. If JD is a great GM, not even the Johnsons can stop things from improving, perhaps quickly. I pray they let JD pick the next coach.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Titan24 said:

A 4th? Lol, no freaking way! If a team has the 20th pick in the draft history tells them trading it for Sam Darnold if they need a QB is a no brainer. We picked Darron Lee once with our pick at #20. Anywhere between 12/20 he's great value. I'm hoping he tears it up when he finally plays with a full squad. No QB in the league has played wit his less over the last 1 & 1/2 years. His confidence is crushed. 

52 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Gase makes the offense a mess. They have no bread and butter plays. Every offense needs 2 or 3 run/ short pass plays that are well designed and well executed, that you can lean on throughout the game. Then the rest of the scheme is called based on the Ds efforts to stop those plays. 

I remember Bill Parcells 1st year here everyone was killing his play their play calling, which included a lot of running plays. But Parcells always said, you need to have plays that you run, that even if the opposing defense knows you'll run, they still have a hard time stopping it based on execution. 

I remember a game vs Miami, we ran a lot of outside runs with Mawae pulling & the Dolphins couldn't stop Curtis from getting the edge & Mawae was mowing down people. It was beautiful to watch. The Jets offenses have been like old 12 cylinder Jaguars, constantly out of tune!

Im all for this teams execution for lack of execution.

• Upvote 1

Phantom pressure. Like seeing ghosts

That's a very good way to describe it... I'd say he's scared of getting hit. He's acts like setting his feet and taking a shot will kill him. Dude is a boogie boarding puss

If you watch the film, Sam is feeling phantom pressure a ton of the time and leaving the pocket well before he should.  Michael Nania did a very good write up with All-22 film to back it up and explain why this is especially concerning.  The line has not played nearly as awful as people think.
Crowder is not slow by any means, I have no idea where you got that, nevertheless, a slot receiver isn’t typically a burner anyway.  He’s been excellent in that role. Perriman, once again, is a goner.  You ignored Jeff Smith and Mims.  Berrios should be kept for ST purposes. Yes I would sign JuJu or ARob and draft a guy, that’s 2 more receivers.
Impossible to say what’s going on with the TEs because Gase is allergic to using them.
You would have said the same things you said about Perine about Bilal Powell years ago when he was a rookie.  If the coach doesn’t use them, we don’t know how they’ll fare.
What we have, when injured is bad.  When healthy it’s mediocre.  It’s not far off.  Especially when you factor in how much of a change in coaching and scheme will help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app