"Glass" Joe Douglas

Bronx

Classic character from Nintendo Punch out. 

The handling of the roster and coach:

Glass is the player's first opponent in all of his roles. As a foil among most of the boxers, he is famous for his weakness and cowardice, considered by critics to be stereotypes of French peoplehttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_Joe

Some of you have a manly love for him regardless that he has proven nothing yet. If he somehow turn things around and builds a legit team, I'll gladly apologize. In the meantime, he has to prove himself, grab his cojones and make us relevant in the league.

Glass_Joe2.png

• Thumb Down 14
  • WTF? 5
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, slimjasi said:

People believe in Douglas because his plan is sound (acquire a lot of draft capital, build through the draft, avoid quick fixes like overpaying free agents). But, Idzik's plan was also sound. The bottom line is, either he can draft or he can't. 

We'll find out soon enough. 

I am with you but we are all pissed for the outcome thus far. Keeping fingers crossed.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

People believe in Douglas because his plan is sound (acquire a lot of draft capital, build through the draft, avoid quick fixes like overpaying free agents). But, Idzik's plan was also sound. The bottom line is, either he is good at drafting or he is bad at drafting. 

Well so far his draft is a LT and a punter.  Thats not good enough. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Well so far his draft is a LT and a punter.  Thats not good enough. 

Yes, so far. Through 4 weeks of an NFL season that had no preseason and is littered with injuries. 

I know this team is a national disgrace right now and everything seems hopeless, but it's really not. 

• Upvote 2

He’s not going anywhere with a 6 year contract. He won’t be afraid to be bold! 
It’s coming after this season. 
I want to see a holy sh*t moment, like a new QB trade Darnold to NFC moment. 
Too many of our GMs try to do just enough to save their jobs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

He’s not going anywhere with a 6 year contract. He won’t be afraid to be bold! 
It’s coming after this season. 

I know this is a different sport, but the Knicks reputation diverted many top notch free agents from coming last year due to the ownership. Maybe this year with a more reputable coaching staff, things will turn around. 

The Jets need to bring the most reputable coaching staff to get things going. That's the bottom line.

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

People believe in Douglas because his plan is sound (acquire a lot of draft capital, build through the draft, avoid quick fixes like overpaying free agents). But, Idzik's plan was also sound. The bottom line is, either he is good at drafting or he is bad at drafting. 

right now, with becton, perine, and mann, his draft looks better than any mac or idzik had.  throw in mims and clark and the guy will look like a supergenius. obviously one draft isn't all that he should be judged on but his free agent pick ups are better than the players they replaced, with the exception of adams and robbie.  there are a lot of reasons to be hopeful.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The misdirected anger is getting old, fast.  

Johnsons, with a side of:  big mac cheeseburger GIF by Shaking Food GIFs

Douglas is the only hope for this woebegone franchise.  We're not attracting a better caliber GM than him as long as the Johnson's own the franchise.  It's sink or swim with JD whether folks like it or not.

Like blaming the tow truck driver for the accident

• Upvote 2

looking for a decade of success through the draft vs a year of success via free agency is the right decision

(although I must note there were FA moves on the OL ... so far Van Roten and the C seeming to be failures, and Fant ... very surprisingly to me, a success)

2020 is  "let's see what he's got" for him looking at what Gase and Sam bring to the table

1st draft going LT then WR were far and away great moves position-wise for our needs ... playing the "wait & see" with the 4 OL at spot 11 ... as well as manipulating the WR pick in round 2 were very encouraging ... regarding his draft value judgement 

---

We already know the evaluation on Becton was a huge success.  Until Mims can (and there is still a good chance he will) show otherwise he needs to be classified as a draft failure.  Besides Mann we also need to consider the rest failures until we actually see different.

---

Personally, I count not making additional moves to increase Sam's chances of success as a failure.  JD hasn't seemed to make judgments elsewhere based on a particular guy ... instead, going big picture value vs cost in his decisions ... apparently that is how he feels with Sam as well.  Let the kid sink or swim this year ... and then JD will make 2021 moves at QB based on his 2020 performance.

As a whole I am encouraged by JD's moves (and lack of moves) so far

---

Regarding Glass Joe ... As far as "weakness and cowardice" that's wrong.  You want to go with "the choices he's made" are made of glass" that would be correct. (I'm sure though, that the whole thing was just in fun busting on JD)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ljr said:

Regarding Glass Joe ... As far as "weakness and cowardice" that's wrong.  

the office yes GIF

The Becton pick alone was very ballsy.  Macc wouldn't have made that pick in a million years.  He would have taken Jerry Jeudy there and pushed the OT issue to the 2nd/3rd round.

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas is the only hope for this woebegone franchise.  We're not attracting a better caliber GM than him as long as the Johnson's own the franchise.  It's sink or swim with JD whether folks like it or not.

Hopes And Dreams Crushed GIF - HopesAndDreams Crushed CrushingHopesAndDreams GIFs

• Haha 2

JD’s plan is basically identical to Idzik’s plan, which tells me that perhaps the Johnsons were involved with the plan.

In both cases the Jets had a QB on the roster who took the brunt of the damage for the plan.  

I don’t think JD wrote off Darnold this year.   I just think, like many, that he was willing to invest in some OL to keep Darnold upright and have him push along, and see what happened next year.   He is on his rookie contract next year, and then the next year is the 5th year option, with Franchise the following year.  

Darnold took too big of a hit behind an injured line.  Sanchez was mauled behind the third string.  We saw how Pennington did.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The misdirected anger is getting old, fast.  

Johnsons, with a side of:  big mac cheeseburger GIF by Shaking Food GIFs

People who blame Joe Douglas for this mess believe Sam Darnold is a top tier QB that just needs weapons, and I imagine, in unicorns as well.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

His job was to make the team as competitive as possible. He did not do that and failed Darnold. He will be ruined by next year. He will be cut or traded by the next. 

That's not his job. His job is to build a team that wins year in and year out. This is, for the most part, counter to making the team better now.

My problem is that Gase doesn't feature, or even work in, the young guys who are the future of the team. 

• Upvote 4