Texans expected to pursue Adam Gase as next head coach if fired from Jets

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

and, of course, JetNation grants it its veryown thread...

i thinkmods should have to approve threads...

we should have one thread for Gase. one for Sam, bell, et ecet....

Lol this is  a Jets message board, it’s not that serious

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

No is stupid enough to hire Adam Gase as head coach immediately after he was fired as head coach from another team

I'm pretty sure JD would have to give up more than a 7th to get them to take Gase

Lol, well if there are those out there still worried that the Jets won't fire Gase, not because of football reasons; nor for PR reasons; nor because Woody wants to be there for the next HC hire (maybe he's decided 4 years of the ambassador thing was plenty for him, no matter how the election turns out) -- but rather because:

• the Johnsons are cheap
  • they don't want to eat Gase's contract, which I'm guessing has 2.5 more fully-guaranteed seasons left (at ~$5MM per?)
  • on the heels of eating the last 2 years of CJ's Bowles + Maccagnan extensions - which they're still paying through the end of this season (figure some $8MM/year for the duo for all of 2019 and 2020). 

I'd think firing them both with 2 years left would dispel this theory, since they didn't have to do it in 2019 after each got 2018 extensions that ran through 2020.

However if you're still a believer in this being a root cause of leaving things as they are, then trading Gase removes this problem. Even if the Jets get nothing at all, or even as you joked if we give them a 7th rounder to take him, that wipes out ~$10MM of cash payments for 2021-2022. Look at it as an extra $2.5MM/year x 4 years they can bump an offer to Gase's replacement, without actually costing the Johnsons any net $. CJ surely realizes Gase won't be the HC in 2021, so they're going to have to double-dip on HC salaries yet again for another 2 years from 2021-2022. 

Of course this all presumes this isn't the stupidest thing ever, and that no one - not even a rudderless Texans team with open GM/HC vacancies - could seriously want to take on Gase's contract. 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

You say this with such confidence. 

Lol yeah there's that Johnson factor, admittedly.

If the team has a massive turnaround yeah he probably sticks. If they finish with 4 wins or fewer - and probably if they have 5 wins or fewer - yes I've got high confidence he's getting fired.

I normally wouldn't, but CJ (or WJ) surely sees that if he keeps Gase then any/all 2021 failure's blame is on him not Gase, who is what he is. Even in their Johnson bubble they see the headlines, all the chatter, all the everything about Gase.

The only thing that might save Gase's job is if Douglas privately makes an earnest plea, that he truly believes Adam Gase is the best man possible to coach the Jets. 

I know that Houston's ownership is terrible.  Like the Jets, they get rid of their best players.  Bill O'Brien is trash.  I guess I could see them hiring Gase if Chris Johnson decides to get rid of his lover.  Then the Jets could hire O'Brien to a 10 year $100 million contract.  Both O'Brien and Joe Douglas would report directly to Chris Johnson.  Peyton Manning and Charlie Casserly on a newly formed Advisory Board.